Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just another progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
xsboost90
tomorrow time to clean the exhaust up, paint it and mount it up to see what she sounds like. Maybe put in the headlights and sand some stuff.

Anyone want a 1.7 rear section?
turbo914v8
Are you interested in purchasing the three stock gauges for your center console? I have a set in great condition. PM me if interested. I have enjoyed following along with your progress. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
turbo914v8
I just sent you a PM
CptTripps
Well done sir! Glad to see you have an exaust that is workable. If the 1.7 is newer, with a little welding, you could use that muffeler section.
xsboost90
yeah i thought about that, but the flanges are different, and its more welding than i wanted to mess w/ right now. This one looks pretty good, need to get a collector gasket for the muffler, bbq paint it and throw it on tonite. Cant wait to hear it w/o the open headers. I keep having to talk myself out of throwing the primered hoods on it and cruizing it! Im going to try and get the black stuff primed and painted before sunday, a guy i painted this 53 chev truck for is putting on a "rat rod" car show and wants me to bring the teener. Its unfinished so i guess itll qualify right? Ill make that the maiden voyage!
xsboost90
may be able to make the show tomorrow w/ just the hood and trunk painted...Got alot done today, think i figured out my knock or "ping" from bad gas/hot plugs. Got the consule pretty much mounted up, windows installed, rear window glued in w/ window weld eurethane glue, steering wheel in, hillbilly alignment done, lowered the front slightly-rubbed fender anymore than that w/ the 205/55's on there, made brakets for the rear exhaust since the trans exhaust support is still for a 1.7, got my bad wire on the gas guage fixed and got the temp guage working last nite as well.

question- i have a brake light on the dash flashing away, but my brakes work pretty well. what does this mean, i need to rebleed them? A

also, i used 944 front hubs to adapt to five lug, they are so close-the rotor- to the ball joint, that when you lower the car extremely, the rotors start to rub the outer edge of the a-arms. Anyone have this problem? Do i need to get some 911 hubs?

tomorrow- paint hood trunk in the morning and hit the rat rod cruise in tomorrow evening.
CptTripps
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 28 2005, 09:28 PM)
question- i have a brake light on the dash flashing away, but my brakes work pretty well. what does this mean, i need to rebleed them?

That's your Emergency Brake 'alert' light. Annoying...aint it? wink.gif

I just pull the wire on it.

sorry I couldn't make it down there today...I really was all ready for it.

Good luck tomorrow!
jim912928
On the flashing brake light issue...if you recently bled the brakes...there is a switch on the master cylinder that needs reset. Look at the master cylinder on the drivers side and you should see a small button like thing...push it in to reset the barke warning light. You have to do this everytime you drain the fluid from the brake system otherwise it will flash constantly.
xsboost90
reset! cool! yeah the brakes work great and the ebrake weather its hooked up or not that light flashes.
SGB
Whooo-wee. Ain't it great to get things done and know they are done right. Way to go!
xsboost90
hey, i cant find no stinking reset switch. and the manual doesnt mention it. Where it be at? didnt see one on the mc, maybe i missed it.
turbo914v8
Here is a picture of the reset button on the master cylinder. It is a little small button in the center of the white plastic part just above the male connector.

Regards,

Turbo Paul.
user posted image
xsboost90
well i figured since a bud of mine was putting on a show today, i would slap on the primered hoods and take the car for a test drive up to the show. Made it to the show ok, but had a couple of issues to attend to when i got home. ONe was the car seems to sputter when you come to a stop, and when you go to take off, it hesitates, then takes off like crazy. The second problem was the rear tires. They were rubbing the rear fenders, slightly, enough to boil the paint on both the rear quarters. Sooo i had to take some camber plates out to get alittle more clearance from the wheel wells, and the sand down the burnt spots on my quarters. Ill be respraying the quarters as well as the roof, rockers, valance and hood/trunk/ hood this week. I reset the electronic ignition timing to double check the adjustment and the timing of the distributor. seemed to run alittle better..

heres a question. theres two places to hook vaccum to the advance on the dist. Now most pics show the hose going to the rear of the advance, like closest to the cap. This seems like it would retard the dist, instead of advance. I put mine on the outside of the dist, seemed to keep my motor from pre-igniting/knocking and runs slightly better. set the computer "knob" to full rich and turned up the idle air screw. Seems to keep a better idle now when coming to a stop. Opinions on how to set this w/o a machine-digital sun analyzer?
xsboost90
OT- heres my buds truck that was putting on the show. i sprayed this a couple years back, supposed to be in the next months issue of trucking magazine, maybe on the cover?
xsboost90
more progress last nite, got all the rest of the black stuff painted. Today i took the day off, ill be buffing and assembling. Also got my bronze bushing for the trans linkage so i can finally put all that back together w/ my new linkage cover! Pics from last nite w/ the door panels my g/f reupolstered in suede, shweet!
xsboost90
ds door
xsboost90
interior w/ panel
CptTripps
NOW you are talkiing! Great work man...we ought to meet up in Columbus when you are done...get a burger or something.

smilie_pokal.gif
xsboost90
drove the car today, to dayton,50miles, back 50miles...then to dayton for a cruise in...then back. Did pretty good, leaking alittle from the crank seal on the front.
xsboost90
made it to the cruise inn fine, and got a few comments. There was another REAL nice teener there, the one i bought the motor from, over heard some guys talking- "i like this one better than that orange one."

xsboost90
pic of todays events...rushing to get the valance, rockers, door panels and raintray all installed along w/ everything else....
xsboost90
stylin'
CptTripps
smilie_pokal.gif KICK ASS! smilie_pokal.gif

Ok...so when are we meeting up in Columbus?

Anything left to do?
xsboost90
i got a small oil leak i need to fix eventually and a vac leak somewheres, im going to try and find that today. Ill be in dayton all weekend if you wanna come down...i guess i could meet you in columbus today! let me know, 513-256-8083 dan.
Gint
Lookin really nice Dan! You have to get someone else besides Andy to take pics for ya though. biggrin.gif
xsboost90
yeah this damn camera has more settings than my FI ! dry.gif
xsboost90
well, she made it all weekend without much of a hitch. We put about 500 miles on it this weekend, never ran hot, always ran well. It DOES sit too low and rub the tires in every corner that has so much as a pebble in it. Had some oil shoot out the heads where the blowby tubes are supposed to be- smoke.gif -and smoked out the m3 following me on the 105 mile driving tour portion of the speedfest weekend. Made it to the show after driving the tour for more than two hours and ended up winning second place in the 74-89 911/ 914 class! smilie_pokal.gif
xsboost90
i led the C group- third group out- on the driving tour. Ran ahead of about 16 boxsters, beemers and of all things, a lotus elise biggrin.gif
TJB/914
Dan (xsboost90)

Your 914 turned out beautiful.

Congratulations, you did very well.

Tom
CptTripps
Congrats man...outstanding!

Let's get together in Columbus next weekend or something...
xsboost90
ill see what i can do. I may be in louisville sat or sun spraying a 944 for a friend of mine. Maybe the next day.
turbo914v8
Congratulations, must be nice to be so near the end of the journey. When it’s all done, what will be your next project.
xsboost90
well either ill be working on upgrading this some more or ill be building my triumph motorcycle. I also have a 924 carrera widebody to build for a friend of mine.
xsboost90
had to post acouple pics of the new gauges i bought for ya there turbo!
xsboost90
ds
turbo914v8
Looking good, real good clap.gif
jgiroux67
What seats are those? Is there much access to the hand brake?
xsboost90
friend of mine got them off ebay, they dont have any brand names on them. He sold them to me when he sold his car and put the stockers back in. I had to do some serious fabrication to get them in there, and the ebrake now has just enough room to pull it all the way up, and drop it down, but it is against the seat when you pull it up. cool.gif
avendlerdp
I was just checking out you progress. Looks nice. Oddly I bought a V8 converted car this year that had this paint job on it. I have no idea who painted it. Anyhow...

macpro
Dan, How about an update in pictures? wink.gif
xsboost90
pics from this week
xsboost90
and ....
xsboost90
and finally put the grille on .
xsboost90
more....
redshift
Looks great!

One thing: tow eye... don't do you a bit of good if you get tapped, and at worse, might cause more headache.

M
xsboost90
and the worst thing is, i constantly get asked if thats where i wind it up. dry.gif
Andyrew
I would put the tow hook in the strap with the factory jack.....

Dont go no where.. and wont cause any headaces like miles said...

Andrew
CptTripps
I met Dan this weekend at 944fest. Great guy. Here we are driving my car.
CptTripps
Why were we driving MY car you ask????

CptTripps
I had a GREAT time hanging out with Dan on Saturday. Great guy, and he has some pretty cool friends.

I wish I could have seen his 914...after our 'teener buld-off' it would have been cool to get a pic of them next to each other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.