Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nor Cal transmission clinic, October.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
scotty b
Will you have the bus done in time ? hide.gif
rhodyguy
get the ext of the trans cases as clean as you can prior to the event. the fumage at mike's was a bit overwhelming from all the cans of brake cleaner and paper towels soaked in it. icon8.gif might consider a run to costco, sam' club, etc for a jumbo package of towels. you're going to need them. don't forget to drain the gear lube.
R8CERX
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 25 2013, 07:39 PM) *

Will you have the bus done in time ? hide.gif

Never mind the bus.....

Bring some extra tie downs!!!

w00t.gif

....man!
I really wish I could drive up!! hissyfit.gif

So, for lookiloos is free and no limit as to how many?

Maybe I can room with Woody and make him pay for his betrayal....! wacko.gif

Will you ever be down in la or San Diego area? In a year or so? More? Less?

Just to hang out with the posse would be awesome!
JRust
Besides the tranny you bring. It's great to bring a spare tailshift you can use for parts. You will need them for sure. Dr Evil will have plenty too. Just don't forget gears & things can be spendy. It will cost you more than your entry fee for the parts you need. These clinics are a blast. I'd still like to make the trip but doubt I can swing it. October is a busy month of travel for me.
nihil44
Mike,

Which club are you doing the arranging for your Oz trip with? I would like to keep abreast of arrangements.

We have a much bigger 911 cohort here than 914 as the 914 was only LHD. I guess you are negotiating with the 911 blokes.

Would be handy to plug in to things as they happen through the relevant forum.

Look forward to seeing you down under

David
Dr Evil
The Oz trip is being brokered on many of the forums there, not just one, and I am not sure which ones. Michel Starling is the guy doing the ground work. I know that the early S forum has a thread.....that I can not post too because I am not a member wink.gif
Dr Evil
Update, things are heading along perfectly. I plan to gut several core gear boxes in the next two days to build up stock. The current stats are that 16 out of 23 paid. Those that reserved and have not payed per my records:
Rottnjohnny
Skeats
Andrew Brooks
Dale Presson

Let me know if you have changed your mind so I can remove you from the list.
JStroud
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2013, 07:05 AM) *

Update, things are heading along perfectly. I plan to gut several core gear boxes in the next two days to build up stock. The current stats are that 16 out of 23 paid. Those that reserved and have not payed per my records:
Rottnjohnny
Skeats
Jeff Const
Andrew Brooks
Dale Presson

I sent you a check weeks ago....if you didn't get it i'll have to look into it confused24.gif
I'm definitely going, need to set the pinion on the one built at discovery bay clinic, and have another to rebuild.

Jeff
Dr Evil
Some of these are likely paid under a different name so let me know if this is the case.
ConeDodger
I will be at the NorCal Transmission Clinic later today! Hope to see you all!!! laugh.gif
Dr Evil
No, you will be at Original Customs later today. Dont go confusing people into thinking that they have the wrong day. I dont want to field those emails tongue.gif
ConeDodger
WTF! No one showed up! sad.gif
Dr Evil
Hey McMark, this is almost all of the cores I am sending you. I have 2 more to extract from two cores.
Click to view attachment

Here is a nice pinion I found in one of the cores I parted today. Click to view attachment
skeates
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 6 2013, 07:05 AM) *

Rottnjohnny
Skeats
Andrew Brooks
Dale Presson

I paid via paypal on Sept. 25. Full name is "Steven Keates" Let me know if you didn't receive.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 6 2013, 08:43 AM) *

I will be at the NorCal Transmission Clinic later today! Hope to see you all!!! laugh.gif

It was last week you dope. Sorry you missed it. poke.gif av-943.gif
McMark
Hey McMark, this is almost all of the cores I am sending you. I have 2 more to extract from two cores.

aktion035.gif
biosurfer1
Is there a difference in the colors of the angle drives?...or are they just dirty?

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 7 2013, 04:17 PM) *

aktion035.gif

Dr Evil
Dirty drives.

Skeats, got you now that I know who you really are wink.gif
McMark
Actually, the early 911 ones are brass instead of aluminum.
Dr Evil
I never noticed as all of the insides were ugly. The one with the angle still on it is 911. I dont have a cone to hold it to pull it off so you get the whole thing.
JRust
I am hoping to come but just for fun. Not building any transmissions this time. Happy to lend a hand & I will bring some of the tools just in case. I know I have a few of the required.

I do have a good "H" Gear if anyone is interested. I bought it for $450 & will sell it for that also.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 8 2013, 02:51 PM) *

I am hoping to come but just for fun. Not building any transmissions this time. Happy to lend a hand & I will bring some of the tools just in case. I know I have a few of the required.

I do have a good "H" Gear if anyone is interested. I bought it for $450 & will sell it for that also.

You should come. You got nothing better to do than drive that 914 to Napa... smile.gif
JStroud
Separated the trannie from the engine out of the white car, drained the fluid and pressure washed all three transmissions....they're all purdy now.

Guess I'm ready, working on the shop the rest of the weekend, roll up door goes in tomorrow piratenanner.gif

Jeff
Dr Evil
Not a good idea to wash the gear boxes until the day before. Water will get in and your parts will start to get rusty.
JStroud
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 12 2013, 06:16 AM) *

Not a good idea to wash the gear boxes until the day before. Water will get in and your parts will start to get rusty.

Now you tell me! Thought they were sealed, except the vent. If you tape off the vent how does water get in.
Guess I could put the gear oil back in them, then drain it again to get any water out.

Jeff
Dr Evil
Pretty sure I posted that in numerous places previously tongue.gif
jcd914
If you taped up the vent, you probably didn't get a lot of water in the trans. The seals will deflect a lot of the water from the pressure washer, at least that has been my experience.

Go get a gallon jug of WD-40 and put about a quart in each trans and "roll" them around and drain them again. That should get most, if not all, the water out.

If anyone still needs a core trans for this clinic, I have a spare.

Jim
Dr Evil
Do not pressure wash the transmission. Do not sand blast the transmission.
JStroud
Guess I should clarify....didn't actually "pressure wash" , sprayed degreaser on...did some brushing and scraping, then used my pressure washer with a gentle tip to rinse them off, I have a hot water hook up, so it rinses well without a lot of pressure, plus I avoided spraying directly at the seals, and vent areas.

Pulled all three out today, pulled the drains, rolled them around and got some remaining gear oil out, only one looked like it might have had a little water in the gear oil, but not much if it even was. Just to be on the safe side I took some Mobil 1 I had left over from the Boxster and put a quart in each one, rolled them around, tipped them up and down, spun the gears, then drained them...came out clean looking no water. confused24.gif

Guess I missed your previous posts on the subject, I'm old... cant read everything. shades.gif

Should be fine.

Jeff
Dr Evil
You cant read the entire internet? wink.gif
Dr Evil
Alrighty, I just finished a marathon parting session and the guts are cataloged, packed, and due to head out tomorrow to McMarks shop via USPS Priority Flat Shipping wub.gif Gonna ass rape them on that one. I hope they dont lose my shit or I will be getting done.

I have to report, though, that I only have 4 good used 1st sliders, and one new. So, if anyone gets stuck needing a slider I will have to talk them through the procedure to install. It is very easy and is the last step in assembly so only minutes worth of work. However, lately I have been finding that 1st sliders are not as bad off as they are, nor as their owners are cheap. So, this has not been much of an issue.

Time is running out! Hows the weather looking? Bring cover if you have it.
McMark
Bring cover if you have it.

agree.gif If you're susceptible to sun, stop by Harbor Freight and grab a pop up tent.
biosurfer1
Supposed to be 80ish and sunny all weekend...though we are counting on California weather people here who are questionably correct 15 minutes out, let alone 5 days:)

Jamie, you going through Sac Saturday morning?
JStroud
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 13 2013, 09:34 PM) *

Bring cover if you have it.

agree.gif If you're susceptible to sun, stop by Harbor Freight and grab a pop up tent.

Sooo are you saying we'll be in the parking lot?

Jeff
Dr Evil
If it is nice out, maybe McMark will be able to push some projects out?

I have 20 students coming. Gonna be LARGE.

Mark, two heavy boxes coming to you priority USPS with lots of parts. One has your speedo parts in it.
JRust
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 14 2013, 07:02 AM) *

Jamie, you going through Sac Saturday morning?

Not sure yet. I'm hoping to head out friday night. Just not sure how far south I will come. If I can get out of work a little early. I may be basically down there. Somebody mentioned they were doing an autoX saturday. Any chance that is close by? Wouldn't mind having a little extra fun driving.gif
Dave_Darling
The event on the 19th is at Alameda Naval Air Station. You can check Google Maps for how far from McMark's shop (or Sac) that is. It's a good ways from Sac, though.

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 14 2013, 06:50 AM) *

If it is nice out, maybe McMark will be able to push some projects out?

I have 20 students coming. Gonna be LARGE.

Mark, two heavy boxes coming to you priority USPS with lots of parts. One has your speedo parts in it.

Sunday is a working day. I doubt he can just push projects out to make room for a clinic he makes no money on. Unless you are going to pay him for the loss of time on his projects??? poke.gif
Dr Evil
Why the fuck are you chiming in on matters that do not concern you? confused24.gif

If I want your $.02, I will ask for it.
ConeDodger
Actually, it does concern me. Mark is my friend. Sunday is the first day of his work week. He has two guys who are going to show up for work and expect to get payed for it. The available work space in the shop is roughly half of what it was the last time you did a clinic there. Even with projects pushed outside, there isn't the room there was unless he pushes everything out. Mine is one of the projects that would be pushed outside so there is my concern. I don't want it outside.
Don't even get me started on what I think of the value of your clinic... Remember, I promoted the last one, I kept waiting for some instruction to happen. It didn't. It doesn't. $300 dollars for you to look at people's parts and say it is good or no good? I thought some instruction was going to happen. Wow.

This is a forum. Last I checked, everyone's $.02 was welcome... I certainly don't need you to ask for mine... dry.gif
Dr Evil
Rob, send me your address and I will send you a check for $300. I had no idea that you felt this way. This is the first time you mentioned it and you are the ONLY person to ever bitch.

As far as the "well he is my friend" shit, that does not give you social charge to chime in on shit that is not concerning you. Last I checked, I was setting this up with Mark, not you. I was communicating with Mark, not you. You are not privy, nor should you be to what Mark and I have discussed as it is not your concern.

As for your feeling that since you have a car in his shop you get to pipe up and dictate what goes on, you dont. You trust Mark with your car, he will do right by it as is his charter and nature. For you to come in here and post about shit means that you either do not believe he will act appropriately with regards to your car, or that you are the type that likes to get involved with shit that does not concern him. Many of us know it is not that you dont trust Mark.

Your comments on the operation of Mark's affairs, my clinic, and finances are in poor taste and character. Please stay out of my affairs as they do not directly concern you. Mark can speak for himself so I will not attempt to do so for him.

PLEASE send me your paypal addy. You will have the money back in seconds. I can not believe you had such animosity pent up all this time. Did you not get a rebuilt transmission? If you expect to learn to rebuild completely in one weekend, you are sorely mistaken. Not only that, but I need to teach a large group of people to cover the cost to come out. This cuts into the 1:1 cuddle time you so richly missed out on. Consequently, I do plenty of free tutoring and Q/A via phone and PM on an almost daily basis. You never even tried to contact me with issues, questions, problems and NOW you want to pull these feeling up as justification for why you are qualified to hate me and my clinic?

WTF?
Dr Evil
BTW, I publicly invite any of you who feel that the clinics were not worth while, and have not yet spoke up for fear you may waste the vitriol rather than saving it up for later when it can come out in an argument, to post your negative comments so that I may address them and make amends.

Like arguing with a woman.
ConeDodger
I don't harbor animosity. If I did, you would have heard about it. I brought a rebuilt transmission to the clinic and my own expert (jcd914) who is a trained Porsche tech. We brought our own factory 901 tools intending to install a M and S gear. I even told you that, though it was clear you weren't listening. In point of fact, you slowed us down when you came over and started scrambling the parts around. I guess you didn't see the looks you were getting WTF.gif when you did. I paid for the clinic so that there would be enough people. I arranged with Mark to use his shop and promoted your clinic. Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't have done any of that. If you're going to have a clinic, teach. You don't. What you do is give people the confidence to tear into their own transmission because in the end, you will rescue them. I guess there is some value in that though I'm not sure it is $300.

By the way, if you don't want people to tell you what they really think, don't tell them it is none of their concern. Wow... You think you can intimidate me? You need to check your ego.

"Why the fuck are you chiming in on matters that do not concern you? confused24.gif

If I want your $.02, I will ask for it."

Give that money to Mark. It doesn't begin to pay him for his lost shop day but at least it's a gesture.
Dr Evil
Oh yes, I remember. You were the guys that refused to listen to me when I told you not to do something, or to do something else. Yes, I basically left you in the hands of your trained mechanic at that time. He wanted to put RTV on the seals. This is wrong, I said so, the manual says no sealant, and he told me he would do it any way. Your handicap in that clinic was that you brought a teacher to teach you and then wanted me to agree with him. Nope.

Intimidate you? Seriously? What are you, 12? I am not trying to intimidate anyone. I posted my relevant thoughts, on a topic that I started and am in charge of, in response to your, now continuing, irrelevant thoughts.

Where do you get off dragging Mark's financial status, agreements, or other monetary issues out into a public forum in a topic that has no concern to you? Wow. That is some seriously ballsy shit.

My offer of a refund is good until the end of the day. After that, I do not care what you think and you can pound sand. You are an outlier, thankfully.
Mike Bellis
IBTL

biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
For those here for the right reasons, the PO was closed today due to Columbus day. dry.gif

I think I will have time to ship them and have them arrive on time. If there is doubt, I will be flying with them. Cost a lot of $$ to bring this crap across country, shipping is best.

Consequently, the 912 guys that were at the last Sonoma clinic loved it so much that they are now making up the bulk of this class smilie_pokal.gif They are a great bunch and melded well with us 914 guys. It must be the shared feeling of marginalization by the real Porsche owners wink.gif

Gonna be a fun time and cant wait to see some new faces and some old ones.
McMark
Well I'm in the middle now. All I can add is...

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 14 2013, 03:40 PM) *

Well I'm in the middle now. All I can add is...

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend.

grouphug.gif
ConeDodger
I accepted your refund offer. I said Give it to Mark.

By the way, I'm not sure who you are thinking of, but there is no RTV on my transmission. But, I'm not surprised. You spent a total of 15 seconds at our table, barely said anything as you scrambled the well organized parts around, then walked away. Why would you remember correctly?
SirAndy
Pillow fight! gayfight.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.