Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nor Cal transmission clinic, October.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
JRust
Dr. Evil & Rob please just hug it out. In private though. Non of us like to read this bashing of each other. Your both good people so chill out & handle it privately. If this clinic is going to have any of this going on. I won't drive the 17hours round trip just to hang out with people I consider friends wub.gif

Now back to the clinic. I am just coming down to hang out. If the weather is nice I see no reason we wouldn't be doing it outside. I am only coming to hang out really. I'd throw my canopy in but I'll be full up in my 914. Was going to bring my trailer too but I don't have my stinger setup done. I also can fit what I need to bring in my car. Mainly Jeff's set of Fuchs drooley.gif . Then I'm picking up some parts for Hines there. I also have an "H" gear coming down for Wes. Going to be a fun weekend I hope. Oh yeah & without the trailer. I don't get stuck with CA trailer speed limits aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 14 2013, 04:00 PM) *

Pillow fight! gayfight.gif

av-943.gif

Rob, you give the money to Mark. He is not asking me for it and is not complaining. At all. Not even a little. Odd that, no? He is lucky to have you as a friend to air his (perceived by you) dirty laundry on the interwebs. I am glad you are not looking out for me, yikes! rolleyes.gif

Andy, will you, er, your friend be out of jail in time for this weekend? wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 14 2013, 01:04 PM) *

av-943.gif

Andy, will you, er, your friend be out of jail in time for this weekend? wink.gif

Yepp, no need to bail my friend out of jail, i'll be there both days ...
driving.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 14 2013, 12:39 PM) *

Consequently, the 912 guys that were at the last Sonoma clinic loved it so much that they are now making up the bulk of this class smilie_pokal.gif They are a great bunch and melded well with us 914 guys. It must be the shared feeling of marginalization by the real Porsche owners wink.gif

I wish our 914's would appreciate at the rate 912's have recently. I know the 914's have gone up, but the 912's have been crazy...don't people know they are glorified VW's?!? biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 14 2013, 12:04 PM) *

av-943.gif

Rob, you give the money to Mark. He is not asking me for it and is not complaining. At all. Not even a little. Odd that, no? He is lucky to have you as a friend to air his (perceived by you) dirty laundry on the interwebs. I am glad you are not looking out for me, yikes! rolleyes.gif

No, I mean give the money to Mark for my bill. I do have a project there.
Porschef
Interesting read...

That said, allow me to throw in my long overdue dos centavos...

I was no less than stoked when I discovered there would be a clinic (by my understanding, a place where one might go to have a health issue addressed by a doc/professional) within very reasonable distance. My patient is my transmission; it was in dire need of some servicing. As the time neared to make payment, I let Mike know that I'd be unable to attend as my financial situation had not improved, and that I'd hold out for the next time.

Mike insisted I attend regardless, and I took him up on his generosity. For my own edification, I am very thankful that I was able to attend. I did not expect to walk out knowing confidently that I could rebuild a 901, but I did walk out with a transmission that performs as best as I can expect. Did he instill me with confidence? Based on the moment when the patient was completely torn apart and lying on the table, with nothing short of WTF.gif did I just get myself into, I'd say, ultimately, absolutely.

What I saw was someone who could dis/reassemble one of these with the veritable both eyes closed. I was nothing short of amazed, especially when my massive brain fart handed over the wrong race for the very nice spare main bearing to replace my cracked one. It was near the end of the day when it was discovered, and instead of saying something like don't worry, it'll be fine, Mike disassembled the tranny, replaced the proper race, and had it back together in some 17 minutes.

Yes, less money than good seats at a football game and certainly more entertaining. My tranny shifts great, all grinding is gone, I can downshift without fear, and overall performance is what I'd hoped for.

So if your considering attending one of these clinics, Id recommend it. It's fun, educational, you'll meet new people, and the Doc will regale you with a few stories that'll provide more than enough comic relief.
Jeffs9146
I too was like Porschef, I did not have the confidence to tear into my box alone! I went to the first clinic at Marks and learned enough to at least consider doing it again! When I sold my original 6 with the rebuilt trans and bought another car that needed a trans I offered to host one of the clinics at my house in Discovery Bay! I (with the help of Lennies914) rebuilt two boxes at that clinic and both are running flawlessly! The doc has the ability to look at your box and tell you why something is bad and what it will take to fix it! There are lots of core parts around so you can almost always find the parts you need for next to nothing or even free!

Anyone who thinks this clinic is not worth the $$ is just plain wrong and should pay the $2000 to have your box rebuilt!

Thats my $.02!

Thanks Doc for the service you provide and I wish I could go to this clinic headbang.gif and install my flipped H, maybe next year popcorn[1].gif !!
Chris H.
But what about the...ya know...gas thing...is the legend true or what? confused24.gif piratenanner.gif (Sorry trying to lighten it up gents)

Click to view attachment
JRust
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 14 2013, 02:10 PM) *

But what about the...ya know...gas thing...is the legend true or what? confused24.gif piratenanner.gif (Sorry trying to lighten it up gents)

Click to view attachment

I can confirm without a doubt the gas rumor's are true! Of course Dr Evil is the first to tell you that evilgrin.gif so it's not like you haven't been warned happy11.gif
bulitt
Guess I am going to chime in so members reading this thread several years from now can consider several views.

There is no way in hell I would ever break open a transmission on my own! Something about all that stuff in there I just cannot visualize. In addition there are limited options on this planet to have your transmission rebuilt and modified with an H gear as I did, all for the sum of 300$ Drop your 901 off at a dealer and see what it would cost.

The clinic was fun. I got to hang out with great people all of whom drove far to attend. I got to put a face on the members names. I learned the rebuilding process from 500 feet. I never worried it wasn't going back together correctly. Dr was there for every minute and he would spend as much time on your box as you asked for. There was no slide show, no formal presentation, but he walked you through the entire process. He answered any question I asked him.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me -
It was Fun
It was Educational
It was part of my experience of building a 914 within a budget.
It allowed me to meet others who support this community- Dr. Evil, ScottyB.
I ended up with a rebuilt box modified for my V8 project
It was well worth my time, effort, and money. Jeez my wife spends 300$ a month on her frickin hair!
I would and will do it again. smilie_pokal.gif And those are the facts in my reality.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 14 2013, 05:10 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Tis true.

Thanks for the warm vibes, gents. I was busy helping (medical) patients over the last few hours smile.gif
JStroud
Didn't mean to stir up anything when I asked about being in the parking lot, just wanted to be prepared. With the forecasted weather, outside might be nicer anyway.

Looking forward to it, had a good time at the last one. beer3.gif

Thanks to McMark for the use of his shop, in or out. But that's the kind of guy he is. beerchug.gif

See you there.

Jeff
green914
QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 12 2013, 01:58 PM) *

Guess I should clarify....didn't actually "pressure wash" , sprayed degreaser on...did some brushing and scraping, then used my pressure washer with a gentle tip to rinse them off, I have a hot water hook up, so it rinses well without a lot of pressure, plus I avoided spraying directly at the seals, and vent areas.

Pulled all three out today, pulled the drains, rolled them around and got some remaining gear oil out, only one looked like it might have had a little water in the gear oil, but not much if it even was. Just to be on the safe side I took some Mobil 1 I had left over from the Boxster and put a quart in each one, rolled them around, tipped them up and down, spun the gears, then drained them...came out clean looking no water. confused24.gif

Guess I missed your previous posts on the subject, I'm old... cant read everything. shades.gif

Should be fine.

Jeff

Jeff I followed your advice on how to clean up the core I got from you, so I am doing the same thing. I could not see any traces of water in the remaining oil that I drained from either of the two cores. I think they should be okay. unsure.gif wacko.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 14 2013, 09:51 PM) *

Didn't mean to stir up anything when I asked about being in the parking lot, just wanted to be prepared. With the forecasted weather, outside might be nicer anyway.

Looking forward to it, had a good time at the last one. beer3.gif

Thanks to McMark for the use of his shop, in or out. But that's the kind of guy he is. beerchug.gif

See you there.

Jeff

You have no reason to be sorry for asking a simple, reasonable question. See you soon.
Chris H.

Tis true.

YEAH Doc! Way to own it brother beerchug.gif . Just stay away from the blowtorch.gif or you'll blowup.gif
JStroud
Not sure what everyone wants to do for chowtime.gif , I've got a few roasts left from our last steer, got a good BBQ beef recipe from my son in law in Texas, so I was thinking BBQ beef sandwiches, easy to warm up on the BBQ.

If that sound good I'll cook up the BBQ beef, maybe someone can bring rolls, salads ect to go with it. Maybe a big pot of beans for Doc.

Let me know.

Jeff
jcd914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 14 2013, 12:19 PM) *

Oh yes, I remember. You were the guys that refused to listen to me when I told you not to do something, or to do something else. Yes, I basically left you in the hands of your trained mechanic at that time. He wanted to put RTV on the seals. This is wrong, I said so, the manual says no sealant, and he told me he would do it any way. Your handicap in that clinic was that you brought a teacher to teach you and then wanted me to agree with him. Nope.

DR.
If you want to piss and moan about something a said or did that is fine with me.
But I would ask that you piss and moan about something I actually said or did.

Yes and came to the trans clinic at Mark's as an observer and gave Rob a hand.
I enjoyed the day, it is nice to get together with fellow teeners.
I would probably be coming to hang out a visit at this 1, except I have an conflicting event with the beer brewing club I am part of. I chose homebrew over gear oil.

I did not refuse to listen to your advise, since you offered me none.
I did not want to put RTV on anything in or on the trans, I find RTV has very very few uses.
I did not want you to agree with me, I have enough years as a Porsche tech to be comfortable with what I know and can do.
I don't recall disagreeing with you over anything but i do recall being a little confused as to why you came by a shuffled the gears around, that Rob and I had set out in pairs after removing and inspecting them.

Weather should be good this weekend and I am sure it will be a good event.

Jim
SirAndy
I have a mid sized easy up that i can bring ...
shades.gif
skeates
QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 14 2013, 09:53 PM) *

Not sure what everyone wants to do for chowtime.gif , I've got a few roasts left from our last steer, got a good BBQ beef recipe from my son in law in Texas, so I was thinking BBQ beef sandwiches, easy to warm up on the BBQ.

If that sound good I'll cook up the BBQ beef, maybe someone can bring rolls, salads ect to go with it. Maybe a big pot of beans for Doc.

Let me know.

Jeff

I can bring rolls for the sandwiches. How many people are we expecting? 20-30?
Dtjaden
What is the starting time for the clinic Saturday morning?
Mike Knox
Hi everyone,

I have a music gig Saturday, at 2pm, and will be driving down from Oregon after that. So I'll miss the BBQ, but I will be there on Sunday.

Looking forward to getting my transmission problems fixed, and a properly geared tranny for my 3.2.

Mike
Dr Evil
Kick off is 9am, food is a good idea. Generally, it is up to the individual unless the natives wish to provide. I am a gear monkey and not a cook at these things.

If people want to chip in for grub, that is cool. If it is something that needs to be cooked, then that is up to who ever wants to volunteer. BUT, that will cut into build time so let me know so I can cover you by doing more of your build.

I unfortunately do not have the excess to buy everyone lunch as I use these clinics to pay bills after transpo, shipping, core purchasing and harvesting, etc.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(skeates @ Oct 15 2013, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 14 2013, 09:53 PM) *

Let me know.

Jeff

I can bring rolls for the sandwiches. How many people are we expecting? 20-30?

Currently 18 paid, probably 2-3 more stragglers for a total of 21 students. Spectator numbers can be all over the place.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Porschef @ Oct 14 2013, 04:54 PM) *

Interesting read...

That said, allow me to throw in my long overdue dos centavos...

I was no less than stoked when I discovered there would be a clinic (by my understanding, a place where one might go to have a health issue addressed by a doc/professional) within very reasonable distance. My patient is my transmission; it was in dire need of some servicing. As the time neared to make payment, I let Mike know that I'd be unable to attend as my financial situation had not improved, and that I'd hold out for the next time.

Mike insisted I attend regardless, and I took him up on his generosity. For my own edification, I am very thankful that I was able to attend. I did not expect to walk out knowing confidently that I could rebuild a 901, but I did walk out with a transmission that performs as best as I can expect. Did he instill me with confidence? Based on the moment when the patient was completely torn apart and lying on the table, with nothing short of WTF.gif did I just get myself into, I'd say, ultimately, absolutely.

What I saw was someone who could dis/reassemble one of these with the veritable both eyes closed. I was nothing short of amazed, especially when my massive brain fart handed over the wrong race for the very nice spare main bearing to replace my cracked one. It was near the end of the day when it was discovered, and instead of saying something like don't worry, it'll be fine, Mike disassembled the tranny, replaced the proper race, and had it back together in some 17 minutes.

Yes, less money than good seats at a football game and certainly more entertaining. My tranny shifts great, all grinding is gone, I can downshift without fear, and overall performance is what I'd hoped for.

So if your considering attending one of these clinics, Id recommend it. It's fun, educational, you'll meet new people, and the Doc will regale you with a few stories that'll provide more than enough comic relief.

Last night this was a welcome relief when I got home smile.gif Thanks, Dude. It lasted a while rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
Just put the order in for the stainless hardware. Trying to work a shit load at my day job and get this all done is a real.....adventure wink.gif I ordered enough SS nuts and washers for all participants to outfit one box.

Shipping directly to OriginalCustoms, should be there no later than Fri and as early as Thurs as I paid for 2 day.
Dr Evil
The two big boxes left today, should arrive Thurs. Mark, if you want to open them, one has a smaller box of speedo drives and some drives tucked in and around. Cant remember if it is the medium or large box. Your name is on the smaller box so you dont have to dig if you dont want to.
Porschef
beer.gif You're welcome. Pretty darn good stuff.

Thanks again.
JStroud
I planned on making enough BBQ beef for around 30, if skeates brings the rolls that should take care of sandwiches. If anyone else can bring a salad, chips, beans, plates ect we should have food covered. chowtime.gif

I planned on cooking this slowly in the crock pot ahead, so we will just need to fire up the BBQ to warm it up, shouldn't cut into build time too much. smash.gif

Jeff

scotty b
As a host of one of the clinics, I have to admit, I am in all honesty sorry for those of you who feel you are getting a one on one tutorial to be able to build trannies for customers for only 300.00. I watched ( and God forbid worked ) as Mike helped to build around 8 transmissions in about 10 hours to, AFAIK, happy customers. If you expect to be able to be a competent professional trans builder for 300.00, you better keep on smoke.gif

For those of you with real expectations, enjoy the clinic, and your like new trans beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 15 2013, 07:32 PM) *

I planned on making enough BBQ beef for around 30, if skeates brings the rolls that should take care of sandwiches. If anyone else can bring a salad, chips, beans, plates ect we should have food covered. chowtime.gif

I planned on cooking this slowly in the crock pot ahead, so we will just need to fire up the BBQ to warm it up, shouldn't cut into build time too much. smash.gif

Jeff

I will gladly grab a couple bags of chips
to bring!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 16 2013, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 15 2013, 07:32 PM) *

Jeff

to bring!

That is what I am talking about! Love this place and its people grouphug.gif
Brian Mifsud
Sorry there are misunderstandings higher up the thread.

I've rebuilt my share of various engines with my dad. VW's like popcorn, MG, Nissan, Mercedes Diesel etc. My dad was a machinist. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. Machinery is in our blood, though I'm sure there are people who are attending who do this stuff in their sleep.

When it comes to transmissions/transaxles, we never had reason to crack one, so it's a "mystery". I'm very comfortable with precision machinery, but I'm also the same guy who took a perfectly working Daisy BB gun (at age 9) and said "let's look inside"..... SPRUOooooooooooooIIIIIINNNNGGG the guts of my rifle flew across the garage, never to be found again. wacko.gif

I'm hoping that my 16 year old son and I can get enough guidance so we know where the "exploding springs" are and not totally screw up the gear box.

Looking forward to it.

P.S. I don't have an easy-up, but my pickup has a lumber rack we can tie some ropes to and suspend some shade tarps, what do you think?
lanker88
Did this happen already? Did I seriously miss my chance to go to a legendary clinic !?!?! I have a transmission that has a troubled 5th gear I need help with... Bummer.

-Luke
skeates
The clinic has not happened yet. It will be this weekend.

I'll plan on rolls for 30 (ish) people.
McMark
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 16 2013, 06:56 AM) *

to bring!

You better be smiling when you buy them. I want gladly bought chips, not indifferently bought chips.
Dr Evil
av-943.gif
green914
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif I'll bring potato salad. chowtime.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 16 2013, 11:17 AM) *

to bring!

You better be smiling when you buy them. I want gladly bought chips, not indifferently bought chips.

Now we're going to have to insist on a picture from the store clerk, of your face as your buying them.....otherwise who knows what we might get...and Mark seems to be pretty picky about his chips. confused24.gif

You guys crack me up av-943.gif

Jeff
JStroud
Had some plywood and 2 x 4's laying around, so after work today, I put together a 4' X 8' work table. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif I Have enough materials for another one, if I have time I'll put it together and bring two. Since I have to drive the work truck, I have lots of room. Figured there might be a few who don't have or can't bring a table.

Click to view attachment

See you there.

Jeff
dug
I'm planning to drop by on Sunday to say hi and hang for a bit.

For those of you thinking about indoors vs out, with a dozen or more people cleaning up their parts all in the shop at the last clinic, the fumes inside were intense. I'd snag a spot outside if you can. The weather should be nice!

Cheers,
dug

Krieger
I am going to autocross Saturday in Santa Rosa, then come buy Sunday to hang.

Remember to drain your trans before!!!
Dtjaden
I'll bring baked beans stirthepot.gif
JStroud

to bring!

QUOTE(green914 @ Oct 16 2013, 07:59 PM) *

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif I'll bring potato salad. chowtime.gif

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Oct 17 2013, 07:24 AM) *

Looks like the foods covered chowtime.gif now we just need plates and forks!

Lots of food and good weather. aktion035.gif
Should be a good time.

Jeff
rhodyguy
wrap that nice work surface in some 6mil plastic. maybe twice. it'll be bonfire material after the clinic.
wes
I'll bring Plates, forks, and napkins!

QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 17 2013, 07:47 AM) *

to bring!

QUOTE(green914 @ Oct 16 2013, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Oct 17 2013, 07:24 AM) *

Looks like the foods covered chowtime.gif now we just need plates and forks!

Lots of food and good weather. aktion035.gif
Should be a good time.

Jeff

JStroud
Got the other table put together, but I only have one set of saw horses, if anyone has a set they could bring that would help. Planned on covering them with a blue tarp.

With Wes bringing plates forks and napkins looks like lunch is provided, any other food items are welcome, don't forget to bring your beverage of choice. beer3.gif

Getting close.

Oh, if anyone still needs a core, there will be some available at the clinic.

Jeff
Mike Bellis
I'll bring some links and some beer3.gif
JRust
Hell yeah I will be hitting the road tomorrow. Hopefully by 1 but we'll see how it goes. Still need to put a travel tool kit together & get packed in general.

Don't worry Wes I allready have your "H" gear in the 914 biggrin.gif

Don't worry Jeff I have your fuchs in my 914 too. evilgrin.gif Actually they are still on it. I'll be pulling them off tomorrow & removing the tires. Text me your address sometime tomorrow. I'll update you sometime during the day when I hit the road driving.gif
wes
QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 17 2013, 08:30 PM) *

Got the other table put together, but I only have one set of saw horses, if anyone has a set they could bring that would help. Planned on covering them with a blue tarp.

With Wes bringing plates forks and napkins looks like lunch is provided, any other food items are welcome, don't forget to bring your beverage of choice. beer3.gif

Getting close.

Oh, if anyone still needs a core, there will be some available at the clinic.

Jeff

I have 2 saw horses in the truck, I'll bring them!
Brian Mifsud
I just built a set of beefy sawhorses I'll bring along with a table and some ply.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2db22b3...3D550/ry%3D400/

Pulled my engine and transaxle last night. Wow I've forgotten so much. I remembered having once pulled my trans and leaving the engine propped up with a jackstand in the car, but totally forgot the two upper bolts on the bellhousing face FORWARD with the nuts in the engine bay.. struggled for an HOUR trying to get my wrenches or sockets on the bolt above the starter.. really pissing me off so I finally relented and dropped the whole thing.

HAHAHAHA.. I'm getting senile.. there they were easy as pie if you knew where to look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.