Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nor Cal transmission clinic, October.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Dr Evil
smile.gif
Dr Evil
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Take pics, notes, make new friends, ask questions, have a good time, learn, teach, gonna be great smile.gif
balljoint
Tranny Clinic Advice

1. Bring your A game. Herr Doktor has heard them all and has Gravy responses all ready to go. Your grade three insults will not suffice.

2. He has lost a lot of weight since you last saw him. Compliment him on his figure. A lot.

3. Do not give him any gifts until your tranny is done. Especially if the gift is alcohol or a relative.

4. If you have a question, you should ask it. mellow.gif

5. The woman in his video is not his wife. So, feel free to comment. unsure.gif

6. Any and all personal medical questions can and will be answered. If you are shy, just take a cell phone pic of your rash and show it to him.

7. Do NOT get him wet.

8. Do NOT feed him after midnight.

9. Your neighbours are an invaluable source of telling you that you fucked up on reassembly. They are also an invaluable source of incidental parts. Bring lots of cash or lots of Vaseline and rubber gloves.

10. Bring lots of rubber gloves.

11. Bring lots of rags. Or, a super absorbent long haired cat.

12. Don't get mad. Get Steven. ( I think that is the saying... unsure.gif )

13. Whatever other shenanigans you have in mind, finish your tranny first.

14. Help out others. But only if you didn't screw your tranny up.

15. Don't bother wearing pants. It's hot out. And tranny fluid is stinky.

16. Under no circumstances should you wear a stingy brimmed fedora.

17. Ever.

18. Do NOT fall in the fire.

19. If there is not a fire to avoid falling into, you should work very hard to avoid falling into something else which might do serious damage. Like love. biggrin.gif

20. Have fun. It might be hard. Or it might not be. Either way, if you work it hard enough it will come together between your fingers.

21. You are disgusting.
rhodyguy
22. flip-flps. wrong move. you might miss the fun and you'll could wind up with a trans in pieces after you get back from the er. trans clinic not medical clinic.

k
tadink
seems like a show that is too good to miss, I'll try to drop by Sat or Sun or both to hang wich' y'all....
JStroud
OK, got everything loaded, BBQ is still cooking chowtime.gif

See those at Carols for breakfast, the rest see you there.

Jeff
Dave_Darling
What time does everything get rolling?
Trekkor
I would be crazy not to show up.

I live 10 minutes from the shop...

KT
JStroud
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 18 2013, 08:48 PM) *

What time does everything get rolling?

9:14....of course laugh.gif

Jeff
biosurfer1
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Oct 18 2013, 08:56 PM) *

I would be crazy not to show up.

but...you are crazy. So it would be sane of you to not show up, and that just doesn't sound like you. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I hope my boxes made it.....

Gonna be a long drive in the AM for me.
bulitt
QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 18 2013, 06:57 PM) *

Tranny Clinic Advice

1. Bring your A game. Herr Doktor has heard them all and has Gravy responses all ready to go. Your grade three insults will not suffice.

2. He has lost a lot of weight since you last saw him. Compliment him on his figure. A lot.

3. Do not give him any gifts until your tranny is done. Especially if the gift is alcohol or a relative.

4. If you have a question, you should ask it. mellow.gif

5. The woman in his video is not his wife. So, feel free to comment. unsure.gif

6. Any and all personal medical questions can and will be answered. If you are shy, just take a cell phone pic of your rash and show it to him.

7. Do NOT get him wet.

8. Do NOT feed him after midnight.

9. Your neighbours are an invaluable source of telling you that you fucked up on reassembly. They are also an invaluable source of incidental parts. Bring lots of cash or lots of Vaseline and rubber gloves.

10. Bring lots of rubber gloves.

11. Bring lots of rags. Or, a super absorbent long haired cat.

12. Don't get mad. Get Steven. ( I think that is the saying... unsure.gif )

13. Whatever other shenanigans you have in mind, finish your tranny first.

14. Help out others. But only if you didn't screw your tranny up.

15. Don't bother wearing pants. It's hot out. And tranny fluid is stinky.

16. Under no circumstances should you wear a stingy brimmed fedora.

17. Ever.

18. Do NOT fall in the fire.

19. If there is not a fire to avoid falling into, you should work very hard to avoid falling into something else which might do serious damage. Like love. biggrin.gif

20. Have fun. It might be hard. Or it might not be. Either way, if you work it hard enough it will come together between your fingers.

21. You are disgusting.

Let me add-

A) Do not lose the little pin on the back up light switch assembly.

2) as you are tearing your trans apart make sure you count how many gaskets are installed. this affects your pinion depth measurement thingy.
JRust
QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 16 2013, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 16 2013, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 16 2013, 06:56 AM) *

I will gladly grab a couple bags of chips
to bring!

You better be smiling when you buy them. I want gladly bought chips, not indifferently bought chips.

Now we're going to have to insist on a picture from the store clerk, of your face as your buying them.....otherwise who knows what we might get...and Mark seems to be pretty picky about his chips. confused24.gif

You guys crack me up av-943.gif

Jeff

Here you go
sixnotfour
Beaver Utah hell ya
DblDog
be nice to your first gear....Click to view attachment
McMark
Party!
wes
Great day, great people, my cars getting closer!
Krieger
So many parts... Jeff and Tim getting it done. I hung out for a few hours. Lent a hand. Talked cars. Good time!
JRust
Just made it home to Corvallis. Plenty of driving for me evilgrin.gif 914 seat time is good for the soul beerchug.gif . Good to meet some fellow world members I hadn't yet. Always nice putting a face to a screen name. Although please don't be offended when I don't remember your name next time I see you. I a middle aged old guy blink.gif my memory for names is horrible rolleyes.gif . Thanks to Mark for doing a little work on my car while I was there too
montoya 73 2.0
Mark always does some work on cars. Great guy, great mechanic!
Dr Evil
I am so spent. Nice cold added to the beat down this weekend.
Dr Evil
Hollister, my ledger says you need to settle up. True? PM me biggrin.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 20 2013, 09:47 PM) *

Just made it home to Corvallis. Plenty of driving for me evilgrin.gif 914 seat time is good for the soul beerchug.gif . Good to meet some fellow world members I hadn't yet. Always nice putting a face to a screen name. Although please don't be offended when I don't remember your name next time I see you. I a middle aged old guy blink.gif my memory for names is horrible rolleyes.gif . Thanks to Mark for doing a little work on my car while I was there too

3 times(repeating an introduction) the charm Jaime. Nice meeting you and awesome car.

Brian
JRust
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Oct 21 2013, 08:07 AM) *

3 times(repeating an introduction) the charm Jaime. Nice meeting you and awesome car.

LOL! To true & I still didn't get your last name until I saw it here. Good to meet you to Brian. It was a fun weekend
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 19 2013, 06:17 AM) *

Let me add-

A) Do not lose the little pin on the back up light switch assembly.

2) as you are tearing your trans apart make sure you count how many gaskets are installed. this affects your pinion depth measurement thingy.

After-the-Fact-Panic....

I never pulled out the back up light switch. So probably I didn't lose the "little pin"... but is that something that needed to be pulled so as not to damage it?

wes
Jamie I'll rember yours evrytime I shift into 5th, thanks!
skeates
I had an awesome time at the clinic and learned a TON about our transmissions (even got to see how to set a new ring and pinion). Good food, great people, and some really nice cars. Thanks Dr. Evil! Well worth the admission!
JStroud
Had a great time also, found the whine in my one tranny, bad bearing, the other just needed minor parts swap, so now I have two rebuilt trannies. piratenanner.gif

Thanks for the help Doc, thanks Mark for letting us take over his parking lot.

Nice seeing you Jamie, thanks for delivering the wheels.

Till next time,

Jeff
Mike Knox
Made it home from the clinic last night about 5 pm. What a fun time!! I have to admit to being filled with dread when I completed the disassembly. (What have I done?!?). After all, I'm a musician and social worker, and came very late to the world of wrenches.

But Dr. Evil is very patient and walked me through the rebuild. There must have been a pound of sludge adding up the crude in the case and between the teeth on those gears. Doc's medical training came through as he called it tartar (as in floss all that tartar out from those gear teeth).

Thanks to Jeff, McMark, Andy, John, and all the other 914 guys for the loan of tools I didn't have. It was also great to see Jamie, all the way from Corvallis.

The 912 guys were great too, especially Reiner.

Most of all thanks to Dr. Evil for sharing his massive knowledge and talent. His vision and capacity for encouraging us to be the best we can be and keep our cars on the road is unparalleled.

Mike Knox
Dr Evil
skeats, you should be proud of yourself. You picked up on everything so fast, were explaining the inner workings to other students, and tackled changing your ring gear with only limited verbal instruction from me. Well done!

I am sorry that you all had such a crappy time and learned nothing wink.gif bootyshake.gif
Dave_Darling
I wish I'd been able to see the R&P setup. I didn't get into that with my gearbox, so it would have been completely new territory.

--DD
Dr Evil
Useless without the tool wink.gif

And the tool using the tool happy11.gif
skeates
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 22 2013, 04:24 PM) *

skeats, you should be proud of yourself. You picked up on everything so fast, were explaining the inner workings to other students, and tackled changing your ring gear with only limited verbal instruction from me. Well done!

I am sorry that you all had such a crappy time and learned nothing wink.gif bootyshake.gif

Thanks for the kudos - that means a TON coming from you! Wouldn't have been able to do any of it though without the expertise of that tool who was running the show cheer.gif
Brian Mifsud
It was an awesome experience.

Some things I learned:

Most 914's have shitty paintjobs.
All 914's have shitty rubber.
At 1.7L as our smallest engines, we are spoiled. 912 guys have underpowered and heavier cars.
Asphalt is a ready substitute for Copper Hammers.
I'm not the only idiot who constantly verbalizes his stream of conciousness, no matter how annoying it is.
Transaxle parts in Aluminum Foil Trays look a lot like barbecued meat.
Forget about buying special tools. Just weld bar stock to broken trans bits.
Transaxles aren't the delicate/precision mechanisms I falsely thought they were, they really are more like rock-crushers.

My cousin used to back his shop truck into his engine rebuild shop each night before closing up. I personally witnessed his back bumper bouncing a Ferrari and Bentley block across the room. He would just shrug. After watching Dr. Evil bounce mainshafts off the parking lot pavement it all seems to make sense......
McMark
Transaxles aren't the delicate/precision mechanisms I falsely thought they were, they really are more like rock-crushers.

My cousin used to back his shop truck into his engine rebuild shop each night before closing up. I personally witnessed his back bumper bouncing a Ferrari and Bentley block across the room. He would just shrug. After watching Dr. Evil bounce mainshafts off the parking lot pavement it all seems to make sense......

shades.gif Yup.
biosurfer1
I was joking with Jeff when we couldn't get the gears to drop off the shaft (treating it too nicely) that Mike would probably come over in a minute and drop it on the ground and they would fall off in one whack... and that's exactly what he did.

I think there are delicate parts in the trannies and other parts that will be around with the cockroaches after the apocalypse, it's just a matter of knowing the difference!
JRust
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Oct 23 2013, 12:15 PM) *

Some things I learned:

WTF.gif How could you say such a thing? I drove mine there hissyfit.gif
Mike Knox
Jamie:

I DID notice your paint job, clap56.gif and thought to myself what a nice Oregon Duck Green.

I was going to compliment you, but then I noticed your Oregon Beavers watch cap!

hide.gif

My 914 was originally signal914.jpg as a UO guy, I couldn't wait to change that color. As you can see from my avatar, there's no hint of Orange and Black. But is was nice to see the major whippin' given to the Cal Bears by the OSU Beavers.

happy11.gif

Mike
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 23 2013, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Oct 23 2013, 12:15 PM) *

Some things I learned:

That car is a life-support system for a paintjob. I still get all fluttery inside to think that building a well-sorted car is rare but obtainable.

There there was everything else (my car at the top of the list).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.