Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Out with the old and in with the Roo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
JRust
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 26 2015, 08:17 AM) *

After sad.gif

Whoa. Did it actually change when you lowered it? Was it higher than that before? I think your front struts have an issue. While they may still work. Looks to me like they are fully extending. Someone smarter than me will chime in I am sure. That isn't right & I did have one car that happened to me on. Swapping the front strut's took care of the problem. There may be an adjustment I didn't know about though
A&P Mech
It is funny how that works. I thought that the ej253 was going to be fast enough. It is a fun amount of power but I have been spending time looking at what it would take to turbo it. happy11.gif Suspension and brakes first for sure!

If anyone has a spare front swaybar that is just taking up space I would be happy to put it to good use. Let me know, maybe we could work something out.
A&P Mech
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 26 2015, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 26 2015, 08:17 AM) *

After sad.gif

Whoa. Did it actually change when you lowered it? Was it higher than that before? I think your front struts have an issue. While they may still work. Looks to me like they are fully extending. Someone smarter than me will chime in I am sure. That isn't right & I did have one car that happened to me on. Swapping the front strut's took care of the problem. There may be an adjustment I didn't know about though

I do believe that my shocks and struts are original. blink.gif They are most certainly bad. The rear shocks are leaking. I hope to resolve that very soon.
Chris H.
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 26 2015, 11:40 AM) *

It is funny how that works. I thought that the ej253 was going to be fast enough. It is a fun amount of power but I have been spending time looking at what it would take to turbo it. happy11.gif

Welcome to the party beerchug.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 26 2015, 09:40 AM) *

It is funny how that works. I thought that the ej253 was going to be fast enough. It is a fun amount of power...

Just "fun"? That's all? You know that engine has more horsepower than most of the 911S 2.7 sixes? Be careful, those sound like the first symptoms of the "never enough power" syndrome.

76-914
Yep, be careful. HP is addictive. Makes Crack look like Cotton Candy. I've been wearing a Garlic necklace for the past few weeks but I don't think it's working. Audi w/ drivetrains as low as 1500; STI packages 4.5K; Epstein puts a 928 V8 in the classifieds just to sheeplove.gif with me; BigKat83 has a "R" series EZ for sale and lastly there is the LS series available everywhere for the "partially insane". So many temptations winking at us. drooley.gif chowtime.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 28 2015, 06:02 PM) *

Yep, be careful. HP is addictive. Makes Crack look like Cotton Candy. I've been wearing a Garlic necklace for the past few weeks but I don't think it's working. Audi w/ drivetrains as low as 1500; STI packages 4.5K; Epstein puts a 928 V8 in the classifieds just to sheeplove.gif with me; BigKat83 has a "R" series EZ for sale and lastly there is the LS series available everywhere for the "partially insane". So many temptations winking at us. drooley.gif chowtime.gif

I'm on starting a low boost turbo build on my spare engine this spring myself!
A&P Mech
Ross do I sense a turbo build off? stirthepot.gif

DBCooper are you telling me that my current set-up is quicker than a 2.7 conversation? Well I guess I am glad I didn't spend the money to do that. blink.gif

Kent, I do like the 928. I have like that car since I was a young snot nosed kid. I think an LS conversation would be awesome!
A&P Mech

So many temptations winking at us. drooley.gif chowtime.gif

I am not going to lie, I am not a strong man. I will be unable to resist the upgrade demon's. happy11.gif
DBCooper
Excellent! That's EXACTLY the right answer!!

JRust
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 28 2015, 06:15 PM) *

I am not going to lie, I am not a strong man. I will be unable to resist the upgrade demon's. happy11.gif

Get your suspension done first bud. Let the engine upgrade's just be in your head for a while. With your stinger you can just add a lower boost turbo. I think you can do up to 8lbs of boost safely. You'll need a new map for the stinger but no biggie there. I plan to do something along those lines. Waiting until after xmas to see if I have any money for it dry.gif
A&P Mech
The suspension upgrade is in process. Garold was kind enough to sale the front swaybar assembly off of his parts car. piratenanner.gif I sent Eric Shea a PM asking for his opinion on struts, shocks and springs. On Black Friday, Discount Tire was running a sale . I picked up four new Goodyear eagle sport tires. We are well on our way to getting the suspension sorted out.

I found a great deal on Amazon over the weekend. I picked up a set of heated seat inserts.

http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-High-low-Swit...8T37R0JK7WX90YY

I am going to install them when reupholster my seats with the 914Rubber seat kit.

It feels a lot like Christmas right now. biggrin.gif
76-914
Your going to love those seat heaters. I've got the same ones but paid $49 for mine and I thought that was a good deal! Take your seats out and watch a football game while you do it. Only takes about 35 min's per seat. I ran a dedicated 10ga wire for mine. It's in my build thread if you need it but you won't. beerchug.gif
A&P Mech
That is great to hear. They were pretty inexpensive and I wasn't sure about the quality. I will check your thread. I not sure how I missed it. I must have read your thread front to back at least 5 times.
76-914
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 29 2015, 09:11 AM) *

That is great to hear. They were pretty inexpensive and I wasn't sure about the quality. I will check your thread. I not sure how I missed it. I must have read your thread front to back at least 5 times.

It takes awhile to wade thru my Pontificated thread but I found it. Post #452.
A&P Mech
Thanks for finding the actual post number. I just to a look at it. It appears that you didn't need to cut them to make them fit.
76-914
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 29 2015, 12:58 PM) *

Thanks for finding the actual post number. I just to a look at it. It appears that you didn't need to cut them to make them fit.

Nope. No cutting req'd on mine. To quote the old timer Dizzy Dean, they just "slud in".
mgp4591
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 28 2015, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 28 2015, 06:15 PM) *

Get your suspension done first bud. Let the engine upgrade's just be in your head for a while. With your stinger you can just add a lower boost turbo. I think you can do up to 8lbs of boost safely. You'll need a new map for the stinger but no biggie there. I plan to do something along those lines. Waiting until after xmas to see if I have any money for it dry.gif

I too have my eye on a T3/T4 hybrid turbo for my EG33- nothing drastic but enough to make the engine breathe alot better. It won't be for a bit but it's in the plans eventually. Even with light pressure it should clear 300 hp. Good enough for awhile... w00t.gif
A&P Mech
"Good enough for awhile" lol I totally understand!

I got some time to goof off in the garage today. I figured it was time to mount my Stinger ECU. Up until today it was just laying in the rear trunk. The reason it hasn't been permanently mounted is when I got my Stinger it didn't come with anyway to mount it. After a little time at the mill *presto* mounting bracket.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Looking super classic ray!
JRust
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 29 2015, 07:21 PM) *

I got some time to goof off in the garage today. I figured it was time to mount my Stinger ECU. Up until today it was just laying in the rear trunk. The reason it hasn't been permanently mounted is when I got my Stinger it didn't come with anyway to mount it. After a little time at the mill *presto* mounting bracket.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

OOH! I need one of those. Want to make me a pair for mine? I'll gladly pay biggrin.gif
A&P Mech
I could probably do that. They are not perfect, I made them from some scrap that I had laying around.
Mueller
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 29 2015, 07:21 PM) *

Great, now you voided the warranty, hahaha smile.gif
A&P Mech
No "void warranty" label was harmed in the assembly of this part. smoke.gif
JRust
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Nov 30 2015, 04:42 AM) *

I could probably do that. They are not perfect, I made them from some scrap that I had laying around.

No pressure bud. If you have the time & materials cool. If not I'll put something together. Although my current mount with zip ties are really high tech evilgrin.gif
A&P Mech
I decided on a set of wheels for my little red car. biggrin.gif I really dig them. I need to find some center caps for them. I wrapped them with a new set of Goodyear eagle A/S 195-65-R15. I ordered a complete set of Boge shocks and struts from PMB. I should have them very soon. I am pairing them with a stock front swaybar and 140# springs. I hope the current body roll will be history very soon. I was looking for a bit stiffer ride but nothing abusive. We will see how that works out. I plan on dropping the front end once I get the new strut inserts installed.

My current transmission is out of a 95 legacy and there is something wrong with the shifting mechanism. The gears are very hard to find. 5th gear takes some fiddling to find. Ross am I spent some time trying to adjust the problem away with no success. We think there is something wrong with the guts of the tranny. We are heading to the Pick-and-Pull tomorrow to harvest a new 5MT. I am going to try and find a 2000-2003 tranny.

Click to view attachment

A&P Mech
One more picture. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
I am running the same wheels and same size tires. I removed my rear sway bar cause my car felt uncontrollable with it and removing seemed like an improvement. but my car needs a 4 wheel alignment and my tires sidewalls seem real soft. curious to hear how well you car handles. i'd do the alignment but $250 is holding me back but this is the cheapest quote I got sad.gif

I plan on going real low with my 75 car, I will run 195x50x15 on it to eliminate the soft sidewall issue, probably get Dunlop direzza tires for it as well.
A&P Mech
I finally installed the LED turn signal upgrade that I purchased from Spoke. I am pretty impressed! They much brighter then the stock bulbs. The build quality of the boards is excellent. Thanks Spoke!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
I picked up a new parts hauler for 914 parts. It is a 2002 wrx with 90,000 miles on it. I picked it up from a good friend. He upgraded the car to a Cobb Tuning stage 2 which includes a Cobb AccessPort and 3" turbo back exhaust. The down pipe is Cobb and the exhaust is a Borla hush. According to Cobb it should be putting down about 280Hp and 285 foot pounds of torque. It moves out pretty good. biggrin.gif It is a blast to flog around town. driving.gif

Click to view attachment
JRust
Looks more like an engine donor evilgrin.gif
A&P Mech
Hehe I thought the same thing! happy11.gif
A&P Mech
Time for a little suspension work. I am working on replacing the shocks/struts and springs. The rear coil overs came out pretty easy. From what I have read the fronts are a bit more work. I guess I will find out very shortly. I am off to the FLAPS to grab a spring compressor.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
I removed one of the rear springs from the shock and found a completely rotten rubber part under the top spring hat. I think it is a bump stop. Anyone know where I can order a replacement?

Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
False alarm. I figured it out. It was the old rubber wiper that sits on top of the shock.
A&P Mech
I completed the replacement of all four shocks and installed 140# springs yesterday. All four of the original shocks were leaking and the front drivers side shock felt like it was completely out of fluid. With it removed from the car, I could full extend it and as soon as I released it the shock shaft would full collapse with no resistance. I took my 914 out for a Christmas test drive this morning. driving.gif Wow what a difference.

Make shift strut support. blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Next project is to install the front swaybar that I purchased from Garold. I hope to have that completed next week. smile.gif
rnellums
Good to hear man!!! How is the ride height?
A&P Mech
Good question? I am not sure. The front end was a bit high before I pulled it out of the garage. I thought I would check it out when I got back. I want to see if it would settle a bit after the drive. I got a bit distracted on the way back trying to get it put away because it started to snow. sad.gif Next time I pull the WRX out of the garage and get it out of the way I will snap a picture of the ride height.
JRust
At least now when you go to adjust it. You know if it won't lower it isn't your struts that are the problem evilgrin.gif . If it isn't lowered already I am sure a little adjustment up front will do the trick. To bad about the snow. Was sunny here today. Well sort of. So I took the 914 for a quick 20min run. Still a little slick out so did some minor drifting around a few corners. Felt good driving.gif
A&P Mech
Jamie, I thought you drifting license was suspended! You be careful with that beautiful car.

Be on the look out late next week for a set of ECU brackets. biggrin.gif
76-914
You'll notice a big difference with that front sway bar, too. IIRC, I bought mine from Garold as well.
A&P Mech
I am looking forward to it. It already drives so much nicer than before.

I have purchased a few things from Garold. He is great guy.
A&P Mech
The LED conversion is complete. This morning I installed the tail light LED boards that purchased from Spoke. I am very impressed. They are very bright and supper easy to install. They are an excellent upgrade and in my opinion money well spent.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914forme
Nice, and I agree, waiting on the GB to come open again.
A&P Mech
It is pretty cold in the garage today so I decided to do a little work inside the house on my 914 seats. I am installing heated seat inserts and new seat vinyl kits from 914 Rubber. So far I have both bottom cushions completed and one of the seats completely stripped. The foam is in pretty good shape for being over 40 years old.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
Bun Warmers. Your going to wub.gif those. I think I stole mine for <$50 but after having them I would gladly shell out twice that much.
A&P Mech
I am hoping that they take the chill off this summer when I am buzzing around up in the mountains. driving.gif I plan on adding heat but it is pretty low on the "to do list". The big items left on the list are: brakes, mount the ECU, put the interior back in and buy/install gauges.
A&P Mech
This weekend I tackled another item on the 914 "to do" list. I worked on getting my ECU mounted and the associated wiring sorted. When I decided to mount the ECU in the rear trunk, I wanted to be able to drop the engine without fishing a bunch of wire out of the trunk. The only solution that I could come up with was to connect the ECU to the engine with cannon plugs. So that is was I did. With the twist of 3 cannon plugs the engine is completely disconnected and ready to drop.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rnellums
I absolutely love what you are doing with this man! Really inspiring stuff!!

A&P Mech
Hey give me a brake! Well that is exactly what Mr. Eric Shea did! biggrin.gif " Thank you Sir!" I am getting ready to replace my brake system with all new Rotors, Pads, Calipers, Master Cylinder and Bearings! I have to say the Calipers that I got from PMB are absolutely beautiful. I almost think they are to nice for my car! I have be driving driving.gif my car almost every day since I put the Subaru in it. It is so fun to drive, and now it should stop on a dime. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.