Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Out with the old and in with the Roo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Chris H.
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 26 2015, 08:04 PM) *

Update: The progress continues on my EJ253. So far I have replaced the head gaskets, timing belt, water pump and thermostat. The top end is back together and the intake manifold has been flipped and installed. The drive by wire throttle body has been replaced with a cable actuated version. The oil pan was removed and replaced with a mid engine pan from Outfront Motorsport. I have removed the EGR system and machined a block off plate for the EGR valve. The EGR tube was removed and the ports are plugged. The alternator was relocated with an Outfront Motorsports bracket. I still need to design and machine a bracket to relocate the coil pack. As soon as that is completed I can pull the flex plate and install the flywheel/clutch and mate the transmission up to the engine.

I am starting to think about the cooling system. The inlet and outlet on my Subaru motor is 1.5" I am having a hard time finding 1.5" heater hose in bulk. I have found 1.25" for about $6.50/foot. What is everyone running under the car? I was thinking I could run the 1.25" and make a few adapters to step the hose up for the engine connections. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I know Renegade does make a good system but I am not willing to give them a grand for it. blink.gif

Things are moving along.

Don't hold me to this, but 1.25 rubber hose will PROBABLY stretch to 1.5" without much trouble. BTW Kent and I used much smaller hose for our cars. 3/4 on the hot side and 7/8 on the cool side per Bob's recommendations. Renegade uses 1" on the hot side and 1 1/4" on the cool side, or at least that's what I found from a build thread. Jags that Run has a number of adapters available.
JRust
Gates green stripe is good stuff. You can usually pick it up at Boat/Marine supply shops. I would step them down a bit. Like Chris said you can get away with smaller. Especially on the NA motor's. I am running 1 1/4 on mine both ways I believe. Have never had it heat up on me confused24.gif
Chris H.
I have PLENTY of 7/8 I/D if you want some Ray. Tired of tripping over it biggrin.gif . Just pay the shipping.

Jamie, you'll need to stick with 1.25" now that you're about to become TURBOMAAAAAAN....
76-914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 27 2015, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 26 2015, 08:04 PM) *

Update: The progress continues on my EJ253. So far I have replaced the head gaskets, timing belt, water pump and thermostat. The top end is back together and the intake manifold has been flipped and installed. The drive by wire throttle body has been replaced with a cable actuated version. The oil pan was removed and replaced with a mid engine pan from Outfront Motorsport. I have removed the EGR system and machined a block off plate for the EGR valve. The EGR tube was removed and the ports are plugged. The alternator was relocated with an Outfront Motorsports bracket. I still need to design and machine a bracket to relocate the coil pack. As soon as that is completed I can pull the flex plate and install the flywheel/clutch and mate the transmission up to the engine.

I am starting to think about the cooling system. The inlet and outlet on my Subaru motor is 1.5" I am having a hard time finding 1.5" heater hose in bulk. I have found 1.25" for about $6.50/foot. What is everyone running under the car? I was thinking I could run the 1.25" and make a few adapters to step the hose up for the engine connections. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I know Renegade does make a good system but I am not willing to give them a grand for it. blink.gif

Things are moving along.

Don't hold me to this, but 1.25 rubber hose will PROBABLY stretch to 1.5" without much trouble. BTW Kent and I used much smaller hose for our cars. 3/4 on the hot side and 7/8 on the cool side per Bob's recommendations. Renegade uses 1" on the hot side and 1 1/4" on the cool side, or at least that's what I found from a build thread. Jags that Run has a number of adapters available.

Chris is correct in that you can run smaller hose as we did. However, the 7/8" went on the HOT side (top to top) and 3/4" on the COLD side (bottom hose to bottom hose)
A&P Mech
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 27 2015, 12:22 PM) *

I have PLENTY of 7/8 I/D if you want some Ray. Tired of tripping over it biggrin.gif . Just pay the shipping.

Jamie, you'll need to stick with 1.25" now that you're about to become TURBOMAAAAAAN....

Wow! Thanks Chris! I would be happy to get some of that out of your way. Let me know what you need on your end and I can get you the funds. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads up on the hose size.
A&P Mech
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 26 2015, 09:37 PM) *

Your motor is too clean, your garage is too clean and you are making progress...I don't like you anymore!

smile.gif

Mueller, You cut me deep! LOL Hey I see you have a '73 914 non-runner....(broken 2.0 bus motor, soon to be a 1.7 or ?) How about jumping on the team and come in for the big win? smilie_pokal.gif Porscharu time? stirthepot.gif happy11.gif
Chris H.
PM me your address and I'll weigh it tonight or tomorrow. It's most likely more than you need so just pay it forward to the next guy.

Hey Kent, I definitely have my cooling setup the way you describe.... idea.gif...the smaller, lower hose gets HOT before anything else...is that weird or normal?
76-914
IDK the EG series well enough to comment. Is it's thermostat on the bottom like the EZ series? Regardless, when the thermostat is open the return side temps should be cooler. That isn't ambient heat transfer off your header is it?
Chris H.
Yep, thermostat is right there, but it may be still burping out a little air from the winter. Who knows... confused24.gif ? Definitely not from the header. I'll keep watching it.

OK Ray carry on!
A&P Mech
Rnellums and I have been playing around with a Porscharu logo for fun. I was goofing off in the garage tonight and I engraved it into a piece of plastic. I think it came out pretty good. I am planing to engrave it on the block off plate on my Subaru transmission.
Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 30 2015, 09:13 PM) *

Rnellums and I have been playing around with a Porscharu logo for fun. I was goofing off in the garage tonight and I engraved it into a piece of plastic. I think it came out pretty good. I am planing to engrave it on the block off plate on my Subaru transmission.
Click to view attachment

That logo is pretty darn slick....I like you again...hahaha
A&P Mech
That logo is pretty darn slick....I like you again...hahaha

This is the best news I heard all day!!! biggrin.gif LOL SOOO you never answered my question. When are you going to drop a Subie into your car? You know you want to. driving.gif
A&P Mech
After a wait that lasted over two months the freight company showed up with my new garage accessory . piratenanner.gif My new MaxJax!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I am hoping this helps speed up the conversion. av-943.gif
A&P Mech
Unpacked and ready to mount. I just need to drill the holes for the concrete anchors. I should have the 914 up in the air by next weekend. aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
rnellums
This will make oil changes much easier! idea.gif
A&P Mech
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jun 7 2015, 08:43 PM) *

This will make oil changes much easier! idea.gif

Dropping an engine will be a whole lot easier!
jimkelly
I know this is not facebook, but I "LIKE"

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 26 2015, 08:37 PM) *

Your motor is too clean, your garage is too clean and you are making progress...I don't like you anymore!

smile.gif

Mueller
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jun 7 2015, 07:33 PM) *

Unpacked and ready to mount. I just need to drill the holes for the concrete anchors. I should have the 914 up in the air by next weekend. aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment

Nice score....how many of your neighbors have hit you up for future use?
A&P Mech
Right? So far I have a friend that asked if we could do a clutch on his cousins car and a friend that wants to do a cat back borla exhaust on his wrx. I haven't even bolted it to the concrete yet. Haha. I don't mind. It will be fun.
JRust
The key is having your car on the lift so it is taken. LOL
Seriously though nice score on the lift. Hands down the best purchase for my 914s I have ever made
A&P Mech
The installation is complete! I couldn't be happier. No more jack stands! piratenanner.gif Click to view attachment
3d914
Ray, nice project & nice progress! I like the Subi SOHC motors. Got a similar one in the 01 OB. Bought intentionally as a future donor.

Enjoy!
JRust
Looking good Ray! You going to come to RRC next month?
A&P Mech
I am not going to make it to the RRC this year, I don't think my car will be ready. I am hoping to have it running by the end of September. I am working on the radiator install right now. I fabricated the mount and I am working on the shroud. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
A&P Mech
Inlet opening.
A&P Mech
QUOTE(3d914 @ Aug 15 2015, 11:04 AM) *

Ray, nice project & nice progress! I like the Subi SOHC motors. Got a similar one in the 01 OB. Bought intentionally as a future donor.

Enjoy!

I am a Subaru fan as well. This will be my fifth one, first one in a Porsche. biggrin.gif It just seems like the right choice for my 914.
A&P Mech
I made some great progress this weekend. I completed my radiator mount/shroud fabrication. Hey Mueller, I put the shroud together with solid rivets, nut plates and a few rivnuts. wink.gif

Click to view attachment

The tranny and the engine are mated. It looks like I have to remove some sheet metal. sawzall-smiley.gif The starter, clutch relase arm and the tail of the tranny are hitting the sheet metal.

Click to view attachment
914forme
Where did you pickup that radiator? Looks good and I like the fan shroud.
A&P Mech
I picked it up off of e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ROW-CORE-ALUMINU...f25&vxp=mtr

I also ordered the correct lower vibration mounts. Found the Toyota part number and ordered them from Amazon. It worked out pretty nice.
JRust
Ooh! Get a move on. Red Rocks is coming quick! Sure hoping to see you there biggrin.gif
A&P Mech
This a four day weekend for me. I have been in the garage non stop for the last 2.5 days and I plan on doing the same until tomorrow night. biggrin.gif I still don't think I will make the RRC. Jamie, I would love to make it so I could see your beautiful car firsthand.
914forme
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Aug 30 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I picked it up off of e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ROW-CORE-ALUMINU...f25&vxp=mtr

I also ordered the correct lower vibration mounts. Found the Toyota part number and ordered them from Amazon. It worked out pretty nice.

beer.gif Thank you
mepstein
Would you be willing to share the templates for the fan shroud. Thanks
914forme
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2015, 05:13 PM) *

Its part of the eBay radiator, as are the red fans.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 30 2015, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2015, 05:13 PM) *

Its part of the eBay radiator, as are the red fans.

I meant the shroud or ducting from the front of the car to tha rad
A&P Mech
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2015, 03:13 PM) *

I am not sure it would be of any use. The shrouds where made to fit the radiator mount that I fabricated. I am more than willing to share what I have. I made the patterns for the shrouds out of poster paper.

Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
The engine and transmission are installed! One step closer to driving.gif

Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
Not sure if the axle alignment is correct? I realize that the suspension is unloaded but the Subaru sub axles appear to be about 2.5" forward of the hubs. I am using Ian's cradle so there is no adjustment fore or aft. Any ideas?

Click to view attachment
JRust
Your Axles should be fine there. Shouldn't add such an angle you will have an issue. Especially with your build. If you were doing a 6 or WRX crazy build. HP wise it might be something to worry about. I'd check mine but it is off for paint. I'd see how it looks with your Axles bolted up with your CV's. I remember Renegade's v8 builds used a 1 1/2" set back blocks for the transmission. Seen some that were pushed back even farther & did fine. I'm thinking the extra couple inches forward is to help with your intake & maybe not needing to cut the trunk confused24.gif
A&P Mech
Cool. Thanks for the reply! I was able to flip my intake so I didn't have to cut my trunk for that, but I did have to put a small hole in it for the clutch release arm. I am now trying to figure out the fuel system. The EJ253 doesn't appear to have a return line from the fuel rails to fuel tank??? I am guessing I will have to source a fuel pressure regulator that has a bypass to allow the unused fuel to return to the tank or I could just keep the pedal to the floor and not have any un-burned fuel. happy11.gif
JRust
I had to have a cutout for my starter too. Doesn't come into the trunk a lot but wouldn't fit under sad.gif . Ditto on the clutch arm. I have a return line on my setup confused24.gif . Can't remember if there is a pressure regulator. Don't remember there being one there by my pump idea.gif . Damn another thing I can't go out & look for you. I am finally getting to know my setup better rolleyes.gif . One drawback to not doing the conversion myself originally.
Mueller
Great progress!

You must be LOVING that lift!

Solid rivets eh?

I wonder what I ever did with my 1st bucking bar I made in school?
Chris H.
Yeah I agree, your axles should be fine like that. Take a look at 914 axles. They're a lot more angled upward than those are sideways.

Have you found the service manual for that engine? What year and car would it have come out of? Seems impossible not to have a return line.
914forme
Not impossible, lots of EFI systems don't have return lines, just a little odd to us since we have lived with them for so long. My son's old Civic did not have one, fuel pressured reg is before the inlet, so it backs up pressure onto the pump. Wears out the pump faster? But Honda saved $10000000s on the lack of return line over the production run of the car.
A&P Mech
The lift is awesome!!!! It is easily the best purchase I have made in a long time. I was able to remove my engine/transmission twice today with out a single jack stand and without any help.

Chris, the engine is a 2007 2.5 SOHC. I have found adjustable regulators that have a bypass.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13129/overview/.

I would like to know how Subaru is achieving the same thing.
Chris H.
Sent you a PM. Your eyes will be tired soon. Give the engine section a read and see what the FI setup looks like. My brain can't absorb any more Subaru diagrams.
A&P Mech
It turns out that Subaru moved the fuel pressure regulator to the fuel tank in 2006. I gave Outfront Motorsports a call to purchase a regulator with a bypass. All I can say is they are an awesome group of guys!!!! Instead of selling me a new part that I didn't need they provided a solution. I am going to tap into the far side of the rail/line and simply install a regulator.
A&P Mech
It's runs! I started my Subaru conversion last night for the first time. I am not sure my neighbors were as excited about it as me. It ran with an open header. evilgrin.gif It was loud.

https://youtu.be/rmFd0-R9cNc

I still have to complete the axles, mount the ECU and install the shift cables. I am getting close!
rnellums
Hell yeah Ray! Now let's get some snows for winter driving!
A&P Mech
Yeah, I got it running just it time for winter. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.