Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Out with the old and in with the Roo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
76-914
Sweet. You gotta love eye candy when it improves your ride. piratenanner.gif Mine too, became a daily driver once I did the conversion. It's been dry docked for a couple of weeks now and man I miss it. What's left on your "to do" list?
Mueller
Pretty brake parts...I like your ECU mounting as well, great job!
A&P Mech
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 27 2016, 08:01 AM) *

Sweet. You gotta love eye candy when it improves your ride. piratenanner.gif Mine too, became a daily driver once I did the conversion. It's been dry docked for a couple of weeks now and man I miss it. What's left on your "to do" list?

The next big expense is SpeedHut gauges. I hope to have them before the RRC. The muffler that I had installed needs to be replaced. The car is to loud. The wife doesn't like riding in it. My front swaybar is painted and ready to be installed. I still need to design and build a center console, and I am slowly buying new rubber seals from 914Rubber to try and keep the rain out. I have my interior almost done. The dash has been replaced along with new seat upholstery and carpet. I am pretty sure I am funding Marks retirement right now. Lol. I would love to get it painted but I am pretty sure that is outside my budget. I have a friend that vinyl wraps cars. I am thinking about trying it? I wonder if they make Revenna green vinyl? confused24.gif

It has been a lot of work but the conversion was soooooo worth it! driving.gif
914forme
No quite what your looking for

Click to view attachment

A&P Mech
No, but I do like it.

Kent, Why are you in "Dry Dock"?
A&P Mech
One down, three to go. They are sure pretty.
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jun 27 2016, 06:40 PM) *

No, but I do like it.

This happened! http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=286795
A&P Mech
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 28 2016, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jun 27 2016, 06:40 PM) *

No, but I do like it.

This happened! http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=286795

Wow that's a bummer. The only reason I have a Subaru in my 914 was because the head gaskets were leaking in my impreza. I pulled the motor and replaced the head gaskets then installed it in my 914. I replaced the motor in my Subaru with a lower mileage scrap yard find.

I was able to get the driver side rotor and caliper replaced tonight. I just have the rear rotors, calipers and master cylinder to go. During the replacement tonight I found this.Click to view attachment

The boot is less than 2 years old! Maybe I shouldn't have bought the cheapest turbo tie rods I could find. Now I need to find some replacement boots. dry.gif
rnellums
I think shea stocks those!
A&P Mech
I am working on replacing the Brake master cylinder as part of a complete brake job and decided it was a good time to get side tracked. Time for some new Pedal bushings.
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
The master cylinder is now installed. Wow the reservoir lines were a total PITA! It sure seem like that connection solution could have use a little more engineering. ar15.gif stromberg.gif
Click to view attachment
JRust
Yeah I absolutely hate doing the MC lines. On my v8 car the darn lines kept leaking. After replacing it multiple times. I finally figured out there was enough flex from my pedal use through the wall. That it would pop my lines out after a month or so. If you have someone in your car push your pedal's with you underneath. you'd be surprised how much flex there may be. McMark made me a brace. After that no more problems for me. Basically had something attach around the rack that had an arm that stuck out under the MC. Made it solid & no more issue. May not be necessary for you but something to look for.

I spent a good 4 hours in my car driving today. Gorgeous day today & was top down the whole drive. Loved every minute of it
A&P Mech
I was getting a fair amount of flex as well so I fabricated this little bracket. I am getting zero flex or movement! The master cylinder is rock solid.
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Yeah that bracket should certainly do it biggrin.gif . Looking good my man! Were you swapping the exhaust out or was that someone else?
A&P Mech
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 3 2016, 07:53 AM) *

Yeah that bracket should certainly do it biggrin.gif . Looking good my man! Were you swapping the exhaust out or was that someone else?

Thanks! I was just reading through your thread. Man your car looks great! The manifold flip is looking awesome. How close to two firing it up are you?

I think Kent is reworking his exhaust? It is funny that you should ask. I think you might have psychic powers. I pulled mine last night. I have decided the muffler that I chose is just too loud. My wife hates riding in the car because of the exhaust noise. I spent some time reading reviews and I found a dynomax max muffler that is supposed to be pretty quiet. The best part is it cost $38 shipped to my door. I am not the greatest welder but I am going to give it a shot.
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
I completed the muffler swap and what a huge improvement! I do believe it was the best $38 bucks that I have spent on the car so far. The exhaust note went from loud and tinny to deep and pretty quiet. . biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
Today I started the fabrication of a center console. I am kind of enjoying melting metal so I decided to fab it out of angle iron. Digging around in my old parts pile I found an arm rest extension that I purchased for a WRX several years ago. It appears to be a good fit for the 914 so it will be the basis of the center console.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
How did I miss that reply? Anyway yes the muffler makes a HUGE difference doesn't it? Need a decent sized one with Subarus to quiet things down. I need to make a console myself. Think I will just boost up the stock center bin. Looking good!
A&P Mech
I use my phone to stream music to my stereo and as a GPS speedometer. This kills the battery in my phone pretty quick. So until I can get the war department to authorize the purchase of SpeedHut gauges, I had to find another solution. I decided to install a USB outlet in the dash. I don't smoke and don't plan on starting, so I removed the cigarette lighter and installed the USB outlet in the same location.

It works pretty good.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Very nice! I like the stubby USB cord as well.
914forme
looks great.

BTW, what car is that console box part out of? I know where to get steel tubing from, rolleyes.gif
A&P Mech
Thanks. I really like the arm rest. It is at the perfect height and it adds some storage. The wife even commented that it was a huge improvement. Once I get the center console completed, it should look good also.

It is out of a 06-07 Subaru WRX. I found an example on eBay .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141824995088?...p;ul_noapp=true
JRust
Center console is looking good. In seeing yours I forgot I never updated my thread when I was building mine. I included a pic here. Mine isn't quite done yet. Going to add a forward piece that connect to the underside of the dash. Adding a nice solid cup holder, Cell phone holder & my Fuel Pressure guage . I made my center console have a total of 3 storage sections. The rear one is the deepest as the cables are the lowest. The middle one is about 2 " deep. Then around my shifter I have about a 1" lip. Give's more place to keep random stuff. Still don't like my shift boot but haven't looked for a better one as of yet.

Hoping to see your setup in Person at Red Rocks. Still not a lock to come but I am trying
A&P Mech
Your center console looks great! I am planning to add a cup holder to the front of mine as well. I sure hope to see you at the RRC. Ross is planning on it as well as Scotty and myself. Ross has a roommate and we have him convinced to buy a 914. happy11.gif We are going to try and do a Subaru six conversion on it starting next week and have it ready to drive to the RRC. driving.gif There maybe 4 water cooled outlaws coming from our Hood. Lol beerchug.gif
A&P Mech
Well it has been about a week since I have drilled any new holes in my car. I was starting to have withdrawals so out to the garage I went. I pulled the fuel tank and got to work installing a swaybar. I was able to get all the holes located and drilled this evening. I did spend a few minutes making a tool that would allow me to accurately locate and center punch the center clearance hole.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I hope to finish it up tomorrow night. I still need to fabricate and weld one drop link U bracket. The drivers side has one but the passenger side doesn't? blink.gif

76-914
Looks good. You'll love the front sway bar. Are you welding that flange? Pulling the gas tank is painless now, huh? I can pull or re-install mine in 10 mins. I know Ross bought another 6 but are you going to a 6 as well or is your friend? . beerchug.gif
EDIT: birthday3.gif
A&P Mech
Thank you for the birthday wishes! beerchug.gif I am really looking forward to the swaybar. From what I've read it really makes a big difference in handling.

I was able to purchase some 1" wide 0.125" steel strap from the local hardware store. It is about 0.025" thicker than the OEM U bracket but should work fine. I am planning to weld it on to the A arm, is that a bad idea? I am open to other solutions. idea.gif

The fuel tank was definitely easier to remove then before. My electric fuel pump is pretty easy to get to now. I just pulled a fuel line and powered up the pump. It emptied the tank in about 2mins. My garage still smells like a petroleum refinery. The pump got 99% of fuel out but there always seems to be a little in the lines. It's a good thing that the war department is out of town this week! She might have declared war on me because of the smell. Haha.

I want to put a six in mine but not sure if I can get the funds reallocated right now. I'm still trying to get the purchase of new gauges approved. dry.gif

914forme
Kent was referring to the sway bar mount. to the body, not the U tabs. It is pretty thin metal there, and it is know to rip out with larger sway bars installed. In reality it should not matter, it is the sway bar binding in the bushings that causes this issue. Simple way is to make sure the business do not bind. I did this via free axial bearings, my sway bar has no binding what so ever.

For your suspension tabs, yes you can make them. I just ordered another set from Paragon the last time I got some stuff from then, a little more $$. I did not have to spend time bending a packet an aligning the holes.
A&P Mech
Lookie what the nice guy in the brown truck delivered to the house yesterday! aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
You added your reflection to the glass???? WOW! lol-2.gif

Just kidding. Looks awesome. You will love those. PM me with questions. What color night lighting did you go with?
A&P Mech
It was so you could see my smiling face! beerchug.gif HAHA I went with the standard white lighting. I almost ordered the neon green dial faces. The wife talked me out of it. headbang.gif I am sure I will have a few questions. I know that I will have to figure out the oil pressure thing. My ECU doesn't use it so I am wondering if I can just install the speed hut sender in place of the OEM unit? I think the threads maybe different.
Chris H.
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Aug 26 2016, 12:44 PM) *

It was so you could see my smiling face! beerchug.gif HAHA I went with the standard white lighting. I almost ordered the neon green dial faces. The wife talked me out of it. headbang.gif I am sure I will have a few questions. I know that I will have to figure out the oil pressure thing. My ECU doesn't use it so I am wondering if I can just install the speed hut sender in place of the OEM unit? I think the threads maybe different.

Oh I hear ya. You don't even want to install them they're so pretty.

Yes so I assume the Subaru senders are pretty universal. You'll find an idiot low pressure light somewhere. I think those are 1/8 BSPT threads into the engine block. The Speedhut is 1/8 NPT. You need something like this to bridge the gap.

Adapter

Just find one that clears everything. I THINK since you are running an aftermarket ECU you don't have to have the idiot list sender connected. Might want to verify that. If you want to keep both connected PM me and I will get you the part number for mine. I am running the stock ECU so I have both connected still.

EDIT: ABSOLUTELY DO NOT FORCE 1/8 NPT MALE THREADS INTO A 1/8 BSPT HOLE. I think you know this but for the benefit of all.
A&P Mech
Chris you are amazing! I really appreciate all the help! I wish you and Kent could make the RRC. It would be a ton of fun to meet you guys!

I found this on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWZ3TU...=A3Q5L29ROA0I31

If the speedhut gauge doesn't need the OEM sender, I will just remove it. Thoughts?
Chris H.
No problem. Plenty of people have helped me!

Yeah that looks right! It's the ECU that you need to verify does/does not require an oil pressure connection. I can tell you the Speedhut gauge doesn't need both. If you want a low pressure warning light you set that up yourself just by saying "when pressure gets to X turn the little orange light on". The question is, is the current sender hooked up to the wiring harness now and is the Stinger reading it? Does it care if you take it out? Doubt it since all it will tell you is whether the pressure is VERY low or not.

So whichever one you end up with, the critical thing is, screw that adapter in to the block VERY easily and slowly. That is brass and you are screwing it into aluminum. That way you know it fits and that it's perfectly straight.

Yeah I'm gonna get to more events someday. It would be great to meet more of you guys.
Chris H.
Wait...if you end up needing to keep the stock sender you can just find one like the one on e-bay. It has both 1/8 BSPT and 1/8 NPT female threads. I missed that. BTW the fuel gauge works with the stock sender but you have to program it manually. You have to run the tank DRY to get a perfect empty reading and then fill it full before it will read right. Other than that it's all pretty easy.
A&P Mech
I was going to ask you about that. I was thinking about pulling the fuel tank sender out to program it. I am assuming you could just move the float by hand?
A&P Mech
Also, did you remove a bunch of wiring for the stock gauge lights?
Chris H.
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Aug 26 2016, 01:30 PM) *

I was going to ask you about that. I was thinking about pulling the fuel tank sender out to program it. I am assuming you could just move the float by hand?

Well yeah if you want to do it the EASY WAY av-943.gif . Didn't even think of that.

And yes you only need a few connections for the lights, not...what is it...15? like the stock gauges. You can tape off or (gasp) cut the end of the harness wherever so it can be easily reattached if you want to revert back (which you won't). Also you can put the dimmer for the light faces where the stock speedo reset knob under the dash used to be thumb3d.gif . Perfect fit. You'll see what I mean.
914forme
The sender is inside a tube,but all you have to do if it is working properly is turn it upside down. It is not hard to get into the sender though to clean it up and do a little R&R. Of course I did not learn mine was stuck until I ran out of fuel. dry.gif

A&P Mech
Sweet! Love the dimmer idea! Well it may make the 914 purist cringe but I have been cutting on this car from the start no stopping now. sawzall-smiley.gif So if you have a weak stomach for that sort of thing you might want to tune out for the the next update. av-943.gif
A&P Mech
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 26 2016, 12:42 PM) *

The sender is inside a tube,but all you have to do if it is working properly is turn it upside down. It is not hard to get into the sender though to clean it up and do a little R&R. Of course I did not learn mine was stuck until I ran out of fuel. dry.gif

Great idea. I guess that whole gravity thing was eluding me. Noted!!! for some reason my car runs out of gas when the current reserve light comes on and the gauge is reading a 1/4 tank. I will do some investigating when I have the sender out.
76-914
[quote name='Chris H.' date='Aug 26 2016, 11:01 AM' post='2390471']
I THINK since you are running an aftermarket ECU you don't have to have the idiot list sender connected. Might want to verify that. If you want to keep both connected PM me and I will get you the part number for mine. I am running the stock ECU so I have both connected still.

Wait a minute. There's an idiot list? Will you check to see if me or Elyut is on that?
Chris H.
av-943.gif LOL I meant light. I'm near the top of the former list biggrin.gif .
A&P Mech
I spent the entire weekend working on the car. biggrin.gif I was able to knock some big items of the "to do" list. The heated seat and the SpeedHut gauges are installed and working. I also completed the center console. My hazard lights were blowing the fuse everytime the switch was pulled to the on position. It turns out the contacts for the light bulb were shorted inside the knob. It is now sorted out and functional.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
The SpeedHut gauges I ordered were 4" for the quad, speedometer and a 4.5" tach. They were smaller than the OEM gauges and I didn't like the way they fit in the stock panel. So, I decided to do a little cutting sawzall-smiley.gif to achieve a better fit. I cut the back off the OEM panel to allow for a piece of aluminum to be placed behind it. After a little time on the mill "Presto" a better fit.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Nice job!
A&P Mech
Thanks!
matthepcat
Love your center console and shifter set up. Looks great.

I had a set of those gauges on my last two cars. Love them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.