Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
914forme
Andy Forrest's Engine. drooley.gif

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
That's a bruiser. Gotta look that one up.
914forme
Today's progress does not seem like a lot, but I spent a lot of time on this.

Click to view attachment

I then looked into Harness mounts for the upper shoulders. I made up the templates for the engine side to smooth that area out, and then reinforced the interior side. I will use forged bolts and backing plates, they are bot fully FIA certified, so Im not to worried about them.

Here are the templates.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I know this is the boring stuff.

I did bolt in the drivers seat today also to get some bearing on shifter placement and position, figured out a bunch of stuff, and line placement.

So the plan as of right now, Is I will have a hot side and a cold side on the logs. Passenger gets the hot side, my wife is always cold, and she is used to burning her leg with me. My old Ghia the heater flap was stuck open, never knew, until a long trip.

And she still married me! lol-2.gif confused24.gif
914forme
This weekends progress, not much, better than no progress.

Built a hammer form for the clutch cover. Need to go over to Dad's and run the clamping block through the table saw.

Click to view attachment

Then I spent what I thought was days surgically extracting this piece of 1/4 plate steel. It was used to secure my petty bar in that corner.

Click to view attachment

I finally used force, and smash.gif the stromberg.gif out of it, and got it out.

Click to view attachment

Drilled a few holes for lines

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately, My hole saw bit it going into the logs, Welds, Engmann Kit, and Roll bar reinforcements ripped the teeth right off the saw.

I then made that dead pedal you see above.
914forme
Back at it, spent a lot of time measuring and figuring, took a ton of parts in and out of the care, and finally came to the conclusion, a 914 is a tight place under the cowl. So Im thinking about talking the Southren Air Super Frost, and mounting it under the dash, feeding the tubes up to the vents and defrost, and adding a ver in the dash.

Even went as far as looking at fuel cells. I still have dreams of getting from front trunk space back. confused24.gif

I made more templates, need to get gas for my welder. Also some 1/8 chip board to build my final templates, and I can start plasma cutting all these piece out of various gauges of metal. Also need so 20a.

Next up on the order list is a RAD, Condenser, Oil Cooler, and the SuperFrost unit. After that, I will get everything built in place, and then figure out lines and wiring harness routing and duct work etc.....

I did move off the conceptual world and into the real world.

Added these to my rotisserie, so I don't lose the socket, and I can store my hitch pin.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Welded up the nut on the end.

Click to view attachment

Allows me to use this drill and move the car up and down the 4 feet in 17 seconds. Much better than cranking.

Click to view attachment

Just don't get your hand near the handle, it hurts like a hissyfit.gif

I also took a 911 wiper motor and added it to the old rack, and reclocked it.

First off what I do on the weekends is my own thing. Old trick for aligning parts.

Click to view attachment

Mark the bolt holes

Click to view attachment

And transfer them over.

Click to view attachment

Bolted up.

Click to view attachment

Oh, wow icon8.gif that is close

Click to view attachment

I have 5/16ths of clearance. So why go through all of this. Maybe a little faster wiper, but mainly, It looses 2.3 lbs. Easier than me going on a diet.

Also looked at where I will put my Acusump. Need to mock up the bracket, but fits like it was built for that space.

Click to view attachment
914forme
Waiting on the 914build to start I went out and looked at some parts and idea.gif

Well I got my Radiator in, Condenser in, and started to mess around up front. And Civic Master Cylinder.

Click to view attachment

Radiator is a Griffen Scirocco Style unit.

Fans are from an Intrepid, and don't fit worth a dang. headbang.gif Guess what Scirocco Rads come in different sizes. I have a nice new set of intrepid fans I'll sell cheap.

I will have to modify the Rad some to do my plans. I'll get my son-in-law to lay the dimes on it. Need to remove the fill neck, and cap the upper inlet hose location, and move it to the side, bringing it down to be next to the Outlet at the bottom.

Condensor is a universal unit, fits well.

And the design I have come up with for the Rad ducting will allow me to store stuff under the front floor. Fuel Pump, Battery, water proof really for the fans, and a waterproof bag for tools, spare parts etc... It will only be waterproof for the off chance that water does get into that area.

I will then have a fake floor like the car has, just shorter. That combination will give me 6 cubic feet up top, and 1.8 cu.feet below. I will still have a front trunk cheer.gif

Now since I will be doing the build off, here is a shot of me sitting in my engine compartment.

Click to view attachment

And a shot of my engine Empty compartment.

Click to view attachment

And no I am not this guy, resemble him though.

Click to view attachment

76-914
Looking good Stephan. BTW, I haven't had any issues with unwanted heat from the longs.
914forme
Well I spent today messing around with my plasma cutter. And then I was working away, cutting some metal and bap bap bap, WTH, hey my compressor is not recharging.

So now on the list.

New compressor, trying to decide between this Cobalt, (Campbell Housfeld) or Ingersoll Rand.

The Kobalt I can get to the shop tomorrow, the IR will be a week out. The extra coin could go towards 914 parts, I need parts.

So if your keeping score:

My welder is down due to no gas, I need two tanks.
Compressor down
welding helmet is down, need a battery
Plasma Cutter down, due to no Air
Need more sheet metal, as 14ga is a little heavy for some of this stuff.
Need some Aluminum to mod the radiator, which will mean I will need to find a TIG and for the Rad air ducting.
And I am burning through cut off wheels like crazy.
Oh an I need dust masks, ran into some bondo today, man I kicked a lot of dust today.
Oh and my iPhone took a spill today at work, so no photos.
While I'm at Lowes I need to get some rigid Pink or blue foam, need to make a plug for my fiberglass Fan shroud on the back side, to keep some trunk.
And some fiber board, I need to make some plasma cutter templates, and modify a headliner that I will need to mod for some manual latches.

Good hard day, killing tools, and making progress.
madmax914
Good to see you're in the Build-off! I've followed your EG33 build from the beginning. I may be out in Lima OH in March to visit family, any chance we could get together? Would love to see this little monster in the flesh.
Mueller
Cool build...impressive rotisserie..I like it.
914forme
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 2 2015, 12:51 PM) *

Good to see you're in the Build-off! I've followed your EG33 build from the beginning. I may be out in Lima OH in March to visit family, any chance we could get together? Would love to see this little monster in the flesh.

Sure March sounds good it is the prefect time to visit Ohi, 80 degree days followed by a blizzard confused24.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 2 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Cool build...impressive rotisserie..I like it.

Thank you, One issue is it spins to good at times. confused24.gif
injunmort
impressive, good luck with build. I grew up in kettering.
914forme
Long time no post, been busier than a one armed paper hanger!

So what I have been doing to the 914.

First up, made a pile of scrap metal.

Click to view attachment

Poor 944 never stood a chance sawzall-smiley.gif

I Got it fit basically to make sure I was on the right track, and I am.

Click to view attachment

And it fits the curve of the windshield frame rather well.

Click to view attachment

And this is one great reason to do a sunroofed coupe 914. aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

The other is stiffness with out running a roll cage. This is when I got scared. Oh crap will I fit with a helmet on. blink.gif And the answer is just like the stock top, I fit with the seat cushion in place. I have to remove the cushion if I want to wear my brain bucket. That is a relief.

So Onward, I decided I would start cutting for my fender flares.

Drivers side rear

Click to view attachment

And I have

Click to view attachment

Oh crap will my tires fit blink.gif Measured them up, and yes.

Drivers side front.

Click to view attachment

And the fronts are 2" wider than stock.

Click to view attachment

I then found that I was like a puppy chasing squirrels, never could concentrate enough to get anything done. So I took some advice, and decided to concentrate on one thing at a time. So I started working on the rear trunk.

Made a fill piece for the trunk light, and stripped the paint around all my weld spots.

Click to view attachment

I then started working on the cover for the clutch slave.

Click to view attachment

Hammer formed it, still lots of work to do on this piece but it is a good start.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I then started working on the trailer hitch, still lots of work to do.

First up making it so I can get to the hitch. It will be hidden behind the license plate. The flip down is a Bully brand hidden plate.

Click to view attachment

The plate is from my Grand Father, W 23 B from 1974.

Here is the plate mounts burnt some metal. welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And that let me get it all measured up and mount the bumper on the car.

Click to view attachment

Drill the center into the car to see what I got.

Click to view attachment

And this is where it comes out on the other side.

Click to view attachment

And lots of cutting I have it installed.

Click to view attachment

And the ball mounted, will have to see if this will work once the bumper is on, and the bumper top.

Click to view attachment

Next up, cut out the bumper, add re-enforcments for the hitch, and then figure out trailer chain attachments. I have an idea.

Parts needed to be ordered:
Trailer hitch wiring and flasher relay
J-West trunk hinges, mine are all buggered up.
License plate bolt kit, the Bully did not come with anything. dry.gif

Chris H.
Man you are really making progress Steve. Looking good! If you do that metal roof too well you'll have a line of people asking if you want to do theirs for them. Charge big bucks biggrin.gif ! Where did those flares come from?
Andyrew
Like the progress! That sunroof is a LOT of work!
mgp4591
You plan on putting a twin turbo setup on your EG33? I was thinking about just one running low boost to keep the heat down, just enough to eliminate the "suck" part of the whole suck, squish, bang, blow 4 stroke thing. Easier on the engine and a nice gentle jump in horsepower. These engines are quite flexible and I understand the whole idea with the EZ30 and all the EJ engines, but something about a turbo six with a flat plane crank and bulletproof internals just gets the blood going, ya know! popcorn[1].gif
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 20 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Back at it, spent a lot of time measuring and figuring, took a ton of parts in and out of the care, and finally came to the conclusion, a 914 is a tight place under the cowl. So Im thinking about talking the Southren Air Super Frost, and mounting it under the dash, feeding the tubes up to the vents and defrost, and adding a ver in the dash.

Steven, did you do a test mock up fit with a cardboard box or something? In the end you'll find that yoou really have to want AC to go thru all this. dry.gif In retrospect I wish I had run the vent tube on the drivers side above (where the air box was) rather than below the dash. It really gets tight on the drivers side when you factor in big feet.
914forme
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 27 2015, 09:46 PM) *

Man you are really making progress Steve. Looking good! If you do that metal roof too well you'll have a line of people asking if you want to do theirs for them. Charge big bucks biggrin.gif ! Where did those flares come from?

Yeah we will see, it will be a ton of work. Flares? Racer Chris aktion035.gif

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 27 2015, 11:49 PM) *

Like the progress! That sunroof is a LOT of work!

Hope so, I am a glutton for punishment

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 28 2015, 05:36 AM) *

You plan on putting a twin turbo setup on your EG33? I was thinking about just one running low boost to keep the heat down, just enough to eliminate the "suck" part of the whole suck, squish, bang, blow 4 stroke thing. Easier on the engine and a nice gentle jump in horsepower. These engines are quite flexible and I understand the whole idea with the EZ30 and all the EJ engines, but something about a turbo six with a flat plane crank and bulletproof internals just gets the blood going, ya know! popcorn[1].gif

Not yet, I have plans for several different version of the EGs, first will be stock with headers, and a flipped intake.

I would like to do a set of ITB on the engine next.

And then yes I have a plan for a single turbo with a water based intercooler.

But twin scrolls would be oh so nice.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 28 2015, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 20 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Steven, did you do a test mock up fit with a cardboard box or something? In the end you'll find that yoou really have to want AC to go thru all this. dry.gif In retrospect I wish I had run the vent tube on the drivers side above (where the air box was) rather than below the dash. It really gets tight on the drivers side when you factor in big feet.

Actually I have figured something out, but am disappointed with what I found. I will be using a Vintage Air Mini unit, and be cutting some metal, more of that to come.

But this is my controller for it, replaces the factory stuff.

Click to view attachment

Thanks everyone, for keeping me going beerchug.gif
76-914
If your going with that VA unit why not go with their controllers adapted to the OEM factory heat/vent controller? confused24.gif
914forme
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 29 2015, 10:42 AM) *

If your going with that VA unit why not go with their controllers adapted to the OEM factory heat/vent controller? confused24.gif

I don't like the factory controls, not sure I like the knobs either, but they are better than slide levers to me. I really like my 3 knobs setup I have in my TDI, simple easy to get a hold of.

That being said the 4th knob controls the electric heater water mixing valve, so it is sort of needed. I guess I could reverse engine the VW stuff, add it to the car, and move the mixing valve control some where else, or see if the VW part could do both idea.gif

914forme
Todays Progress:

List of items I wanted to get do: I try to focus on three things, and go from there.
Fit Hitch
Fit Safety Chain Eyes
Cut and flange the bumper opening.

So First up Cut and flange the bumper:

No pictures of it being smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif Takes a long tome to bump this heavy of metal with out heat.

Final Results, need a little touchup, but good enough for test fitting ,and working out bugs.

Click to view attachment

And a closer shot showing the flange

Click to view attachment

Now back to work on the hitch.

Test fit with the bumper.

Click to view attachment

Install the flip down plate and test fit.

Click to view attachment

Plate flipped up

Click to view attachment

Couple of small details I'll need to figure out in the final version.

Need a rubber bumper between the hitch ball shank and the back of the flip down plate.

Click to view attachment

Need some spacers here also as I don't like the plate sloping back. Used these bolts to get the spacing correct.

Click to view attachment

All together

Click to view attachment

Next up get the safety chain eyelts mocked up. These forged eyelts are rated at 1200 lbs per eyelet. Not thinking a tire trailer or anything else I would want to to with the 914 would exceed that. I could pick the car up with these, and old a old school frontal collision test.

Click to view attachment

Installed

Click to view attachment

And crash test blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Metal Prep

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tomorrow hopefully I'll get to spray some zinc primer on, and hopefully burn some metal.
914forme
SO I had a squirrel moment and started playing with LED lights. In reality I wanted to put a rear fog light in the bumper, trunk lighting that I can see whats in the trunks, and I needed reverse lights if I use the 914RS tail lights, still trying to decide on that.

So let the testing begin.

LED Rear light on running light setting.

Click to view attachment

And what it illuminates in my darkened garage.

Click to view attachment

Don't think that will make a dent in fog.

Wire it up for brake and turn on the bench.

Click to view attachment

And it illuminates

Click to view attachment

Oh that is getting a little better.

Would this work as a nice third brake light also confused24.gif So I got out this to see how it compared.

Click to view attachment

Third brake light from a Ford GT

And well it is a keeper

Click to view attachment

Hopefully that will get some yellowsleep[1].gif non observant driver a little w00t.gif If not not much else I can do.

backup lights and trunk lights, not sure I like these sad.gif

Click to view attachment

And how well they illuminate the room 1 light.

Click to view attachment

And 2x

Click to view attachment

I think it is the blueness of the light that bugs me.
914forme
Now for some progress:

Working on the rear trunk currently:
Task Items
___ Rear Deck Lid Shox - Mockup
___ Trailer Hitch - Mockup
___ Weld in all the holes
___ Cover for Clutch Slave
___ Seam Weld the shock towers
___ Add a bracket for Trailer wiring
___ Install new trunk hinge pivots
___ Mockup Trunk Lights

So J West's Kit is really nice, I like it a lot, yet, I can't leave well enough alone.

Click to view attachment

So I striped the paint, and will weld nuts on the backing plates. These will get welded into the inner fender wells. All cleaned up, nuts added, and bolts have Anti-Seize added to keep the threads from galling when they are welded.

Click to view attachment

914forme
Worked on the trunk show kit even though I can't find page 5 of the instructions. So I had to wing it.

I mounted the rear hinges, and locked them in the full upright position. Mounted the Shox in the upper pivot. Took the lower brake, and put the shock thee, then moved it forward to keep the shock under tension. Theory is the trunk lid will add weight and I might need the extra pressure. Not sure it ill work dry.gif

Click to view attachment

I then marked both sides. I used this trick, slip my transfer punch into a socket, and then it keeps it perpendicular to the bracket.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So that is one mocked up piratenanner.gif I forgot to take a picture headbang.gif
914forme
Now mocking up all the rear hitch stuff, don't mind the rust, it will be taken care of.

Cutting all the 16 ga to backup all the hitch parts. This tool is great, so glad I got it, or else my forearms might look like Popeye.

Click to view attachment

Laid it all out, and drilled hundreds of holes.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Started Fitting everything

Click to view attachment

So I got my sandblaster working, added a dust depot to my harbor freight sand blaster and it works great.

Click to view attachment

And I blasted all my pieces for the hitch, and a couple water boots that where de-coating.

Click to view attachment

Then welded up a few items in this pile, don't have pictures, and started working on the slave cylinder cover.

Click to view attachment

I still need to work on the flange more of that latter.
76-914
Looking good Stephen. For the license plate, use plastic bolts. They don't scratch + they won't rust. The trunk shocks are fine if they're under a little load when fully extended. Glad you test hopped that HF electric shear. It's been winking at me last few times I was in there. rolleyes.gif Let me know when you get shocked using that sand blaster. av-943.gif I've got the same one and similar vent set up. I thought I was going nuts till Jake chimed in and confirmed that I was indeed receiving little jolts of static electricity thru the gloves. beerchug.gif
914forme
Nope no shocks, I hope not to have it happen.
914forme
Well long time no update. Lets see, a whole bunch of life got in the way. dry.gif

Trip to Portland ended in a ride to the ER, but I caused our plane to get emergency clearance, and we arrived 30 minutes earlier than we should, way to turn up the wick.

Spent the next month trying to get clearance to drive again, that was no fun.

I am back to driving, all my doctor visits have found nothing, I am in prime condition except all the crap I all ready knew was an issue.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, Chanukah, Winter Solstice, etc.... Any excuse to not work on the car....

But the 914 got some progress despite all my efforts to keep me out of the work shop.

No outside services used yet, lots of parts and ideas being tossed around in my head. And yes I am still screwing around with the back bumper, rear trunk area.

But first things first some of the parts my 914 picked up.

These will replace my Cobie Z beams, and Cobie driving lights.

Yep Truck Lite 7" LEDs

Click to view attachment

Nice Light pattern

Click to view attachment

Then I also had an idea, so I ordered up one of these:

Click to view attachment

Harley LED passing light, also by Truck Light

Light pattern not as nice but still adds some to fill in the dark spots, I hope.

Click to view attachment

And here is my idea, stock location.

Stock fog light for comparison.

Click to view attachment

And now the Truck Lite unit

Click to view attachment

Now to figure out how to mount this things, nothing screams hey you can mount from here, and the instructions, are well nonexistent. screwy.gif

Click to view attachment

You would think them little white plugs would work as a mount, but they don't seem to wanna come out.

Need to do some research on the Harley forums dry.gif I also ordered a second one, so you all can go out and order to yours, as I have the stock I need for the build. beerchug.gif

Fellow member asked about my 914-RS lights, and if I was going to use them in my build, and I said, I'm not sure. With adding backup lights, it is a road car, the extra weight might make it not worth the efforts.

So I decided to weigh them against stock.

Stock is 1 pound 14.4 ounces

Click to view attachment

RS alone is 1 pound 0.4 ounces for a savings of 14 ounces. Or a total savings of 1 pound 12 ounces for the pair.

With backup lights I pickup an extra 2 ounces or 4 ounces total. Meaning I save 1 pound 4 ounces on the pair. aktion035.gif

Yes every little bit helps so lets look at light output.

Running light
Click to view attachment

Turn signal
Click to view attachment

Brake Light
Click to view attachment

Long to the short, I have sold the RS lights, contacted Spoke about the Group Buy, waiting on the next round, and I ordered a set of euro rear lenses from AA. WTF.gif George out of stock dry.gif I should have know, I am on the hunt for euro lenses now.

Done plying with lights, of crap I am not. Rear Fog, well now rear DLR / Fog. It forced me to make a decision, I will not be running the rear valance, I had been thinking about it, but now I won't have not run it since I owned the car. So where to put this, it needs to be low and on the drivers rear side. And I don't like the factory box.

So out cones this. Two modes DLR / and Fog/Brake A zener diode will allow both to function with out flashing the front fog lights when I hit the brakes. Or the other way around, in reality it will take two zeners.

Click to view attachment

This is the bracket made to hold it.

Click to view attachment

And this is it being fitted up

Click to view attachment

DLR mode

Click to view attachment

Fog / Brake Mode

Click to view attachment

Wow camera does not show a difference in light output.

And after 2 days for welder.gif smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif it looks like this. We need a grinder emoji

Click to view attachment

I will most likely have another few days worth of work cleaning up that bumper. Need to strip all the old filler, smash.gif the dents out, and then epoxy prime, fill whats needs filled, epoxy prime/ seal, then primer, sand,primer, sand, on and on.

I am no Metal Surgeon thats for sure, but I am learning a lot, in the process. cheer.gif headbang.gif confused24.gif

What is next for the bumper

A plug for the trailer wiring, waiting on a step bit that goes to 1-3/8 of an inch.

Bumper tops, waiting on 914Rubber to get the kinks worked out on the fiberglass bumper tops, been waiting a long time for these. shades.gif

And then into the trunk, and finish welding the trailer hitch, plug up all the holes I no longer need. Finish the shock mounts, waiting on my counter sink bit to show up for that. And building a mount for the trailer light conversion box. So back to the shop today, to makes some more progress, hope to get 3 more days out there this week.
Mueller
Neat custom modifications...I like!
914forme
Thank you Mike:

Lunch Update:

Bracket made for trailer harness adapter.

Click to view attachment

Made from Aluminum Flashing, nice and light. My AL skills need a little polishing, might redo it latter.

Drilled a hole for the harness.

Click to view attachment

From the Bumper side

Click to view attachment

Will drop the harness down, and add a weather pack connector to it, for the trailer lights and DLR / Fog Brake. I might added these into the the setup also LED license plate lights. They hang down a little farther than I like. Might use a lighted frame, or lighted bolts instead.

Click to view attachment

They look like an after thought, I hate that.

And no your not going crazy used my old chrome bumper to test the lights on as it has a bumper top.
914forme
Found 3 sets of European lens, sourced one set from Germany. screwy.gif

Here is what I completed yesterday, lots of welder.gif

Welded in a ton of studs. figurative not 2000 pounds of steel

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Filled holes no longer needed

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Almost done with the hitch pieces until I get the chases back on the rotisserie.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And mocked up the hitch wiring.

Click to view attachment

It will be hidden behind the license plate out of site out of mind, and protected from the elements.

Click to view attachment

Progress made in baby steps.
914forme
Been a while, I have not been slacking just working on other items. A friend of the family died and left three young adults to fend for themselves. We finally got most of the items done, and cleared up. Probate papers are also done, some one took pity on them, got to love Christmas spirit. beer.gif

I got drafted to do car repair work. Not sure if you have noticed but it is cold here in Ohio. And when heater fans go out, all sorts of things go wrong. So I fixed a Ford Escort fan system, corroded connectors, all rusted up. Little work and good as new. That car back on the road.

Then this got brought over:
Click to view attachment

Long list of items needing fixed:
Battery Replaced
Wiper Blades ( who takes them off and does not replace them huh.gif
Front Brakes New Rotor, New Pads, lube pins, replaced all the fluid
Oil Change
Antifreeze flush
Trans Fluid Change
New Tires for the front
Radio does not work - Fuse
Front Right Turn Signal no work, burnt connector WTF.gif Fixed now.
Waiting on tires, and then mount them up, and torque the lug nuts, car will be done.

Oh and the worst item, car was parked with the windows down, and cats made it their litter box. So tore the entire interior out, pressure washed it, Steamed it, washed it and extracted it. Put it all back together, and running an ozone unit in the car. No smell yet, but we ill see if the urine smell comes back, once the car heats up.

So back to the 914, what happened to my pictures.
Finished mock up on the bumper, all studs fitted. Also made the pieces to fill the license plate bracket inserts.

Made pieces to fill the odd corner holes left in the slave cylinder cover.
Click to view attachment

Worked on fitting up the last piece of the hitch re-enforcments on th trunk floor. Shh don't tell my wife, I took one of here purses to make a shot bag.

Click to view attachment

Got a decent fit once done.
Click to view attachment

And started to work on the rad support in the front trunk!

Wish I had this stuff a long time ago

Click to view attachment

Makes it so much easier for me to see shades.gif Still does not help accuracy.

Click to view attachment

But now I can see how far off I really am av-943.gif
914forme
Yesterdays progress, life keeps getting in the way. Wife's EOS washer pump died, you have to disassemble the entire nose of the car to change it. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Car will be on the lift for a week or better now waiting on the pump to arrive. sad.gif

Couple of items came in on the brown truck Friday.

Pedal Board thanks to G E O R G E beer.gif

Click to view attachment

And yes I am back to working on the license plate holder will this ever been done. huh.gif

Plastic Nut insert, round hole in a square peg smash.gif

Click to view attachment

Which allowed me to install these LED License plate lights.

Click to view attachment

And they look like this at night

Click to view attachment

Hoping today to get some welding done, and more fab work, seeing McMarks post of quick release engine lids got me thinking. Between his and Brant's racer, I might have to make my own design. idea.gif

Looks like I will be starting fab work in the engine compartment next. Still have some things to eliminate. Decided I will keep my engine mount I built for the EG using the early -4 bar. Its ready to go, and does what it needs to do. I have a bunch of stuff to install in the engine bay, so this will be a long project also. If I can fab work done by April I'll be a thrilled, as it would be a good time to put it into paint. If I look at the days and obligations I have, that will be a hard target to hit. icon8.gif
Garland
Appreciation for the time you have spent on the rear bumper and hitch, looks great.
76-914
The piece that covers the slave cylinder does have a tricky bottom, doesn't it? Keep after it. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Nice attention to detail.
914forme
Thank you all for the nice commits beer.gif

So today, shop is snowed in, what does that mean to me, I can work on the 914 cheer.gif

So got right to it, fired up the welder and finished the welding on the rear bumper there was much rejoicing!!!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finished the clutch slave cover.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And thanks to another member here, I am going to run a rear valance now dry.gif Hate the look of the mufflers.

So dug out a metal one, and well I can't leave well enough alone. idea.gif

First fix a dent, and all the other damage.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next up file the side exhaust outlet. Man thats a compound curve wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Lay out for center exhaust exit. Twin 2.5" outlets spaced an inch apart. I will most likely make it an oval pipe. Radius is 3" leaving 1/2" around the pipes to get pipes in the hole and lined up.

Click to view attachment

Cut Open

Click to view attachment

Add re-enforcmenet of the opening

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pipes Mocked up these are 2.25" pipes so it will get better once done, did not have 2.5" in the shop, and did not want to leave to pick some up.

Click to view attachment

Sprayed some of this on the sealed up sides

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And I finished welding the hitch re-enforcements in the trunk floor. Well at least until , I get it flipped over and start on the underside of the hitch.

Click to view attachment

Once that is done, I'll need to come back and plug weld the bolt holes and the other holes you see. Make it nice and strong.

I just figured out, I need to radius the exhaust opening, so I will do that, then weld the back piece up, and start making the filler for in-between the valance and the new re-enforcement piece at the back.
Andyrew
Looking good! I think the center exit exhaust will look fantastc!
914forme
The mornings work. Might get a couple more hours in today then I need to spend some time with my wub.gif

Rounded over the opening. smash.gif

Click to view attachment

Using this home made dolly

Click to view attachment

And this hammer made quick work out of it. It is only 20 gauge so it was pretty easy.

Click to view attachment

Final result of all the banging

Click to view attachment

Layout the filler piece 1-1/4" strip will do the trick. Blue layout dye and a compass is all you need. Drag the point across the dye, accurate mark, cut.

Click to view attachment

Lots of fitting, I found out I am not as good as a lot of people, so Im making it in two sections. More practice, but hey I am still learning this stuff.

Click to view attachment

One side tacked up, get to rinse and repeat the other side finish the welding and spend lots of time with a cut off wheel. I use a cut off wheel to grind the welds down just shy of the surface. I'll finish up with sand paper, either a flapper disk, or small rolocs.

Click to view attachment

Times a wasting' better get back at it! poke.gif
Van914
Stephen,
Great work! Spring is coming I hope
Van914
914forme
QUOTE(Van914 @ Feb 14 2016, 02:50 PM) *

Stephen,
Great work! Spring is coming I hope
Van914

Thank you Van, and Andyrew

I certainly hope so, if not I might have to orchestrate a raid on a furry little creature in PA. ar15.gif Who ever thought a ground hog could predict the future anyways lol-2.gif

After all he is only correct 39% of the time, and a cow pooping on a a field with 2 squares drawn in it could be that accurate.

So back to the build!

Valance all tacked up, needs to be final welded but hey that is the story of my life.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Welded up the trim holes on the drivers side sail panel.

Click to view attachment

Moved into the engine compartment

Started mocking up the harness mounts.

Click to view attachment

Have some work to do to make these safe as I would like. Big ole gap.

Click to view attachment

Have a tube running between the two sheet metal sections. Keep it from compressing the hallow section.

Click to view attachment

Will be adding re-enforcement to the from here.

Click to view attachment

The Schroth Provi belts have these mounts they fit better than my square mounts on the outsides.

Click to view attachment

Test Belt clipped in,

Click to view attachment

That is all for today.
914forme
Today's progress biggrin.gif

Worked on the harnesses, and made a list of items I will need to finish up. Need 4 eyes, and 4 snap in endplates for 3" belts.

So Provi I have are 6 point harnesses. 2 anchors in the floor, issue is one ends up right next to the spot weld access hole in the floors under each seat. So I will cut them out, and back it up with some 16 gauge, then add the FIA certified backer plates.

No pictures of these, not very interesting yet.

Moved onto the drivers side rear fender well, this is one of those while I am here things.

Ground down all the plug welds on my old GT kit.

Click to view attachment

Next up worked on reinforcements of the outer suspension console, more than likely over kill, as I have 914LTD log stiffener in there all ready. But hey triangulation always makes things a little stronger.

So out comes the cereal boxes.

Click to view attachment

bending the first section up, love my high end sheet metal brake!

Click to view attachment

And fit to the chassis, not bad for a hack with a hammer, vice, and a harbor freight electric shears.

Click to view attachment

Laying out more piece, love my layout dye, you can see one of the anti-sub strap re-enforcements at the top of the picture.

Click to view attachment

Second side all made up

Click to view attachment

Add a front and a leg to cover all the seams in the GT kit.

Click to view attachment

And now for the crazy part

Click to view attachment

Ties it all together in several planes.

Click to view attachment

Sand blasted all the pieces fabricated up today, and sprayed the inner pieces with some zinc. Need to clean up the welding areas, and it will be ready to become a fixture to the 914.

914forme
So yesterday brake pedal parts started showing up. I got a killer deal on a Wildwood pedal set, so I needed a couple of M/C.

I choose the Tilton's over the Howe's why, well the Tilton come in 5/8" bore, as well as 3/4" bore which ~ 19mm.

Click to view attachment

And they are only about 1/4" longer than the Howe's, I can always build a pedal box if I need to.

All this cool accessories I will not be using lol

Click to view attachment

Next up, I made the decision that I was going to make it look like I was making progress, poke.gif

So a little cut, and off came the three other fenders.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I forgot to take an after picture headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

While the plasma cutter was out, I cut out the spot weld access hole under the seats.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Stared welding in the floor re-enforcements for the anti-sub straps

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still a little work to do on the interior side of these.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And now for something completely different

Started cutting out items in the engine compartment

Trunk hinge gone to make way for the JWest hinge.

Click to view attachment

Since my new pedals have dual M/Cs and a balance bar, I cut out the prop valve bracket.

Click to view attachment

Eliminating Un needed tubes Don't need flapper valve cable, a clutch cable tube, and I don't need the Speedo Cable either, but will be reprising that one, I think.

Click to view attachment

And I'll be moving the e-brake to the center tunnel, so these are not needed either.

Click to view attachment

Started Working on the firewall engine mount. IT will allow me to route the exhaust easier. shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Using these bushing

Click to view attachment

Need to cut this tube

Click to view attachment

Oh look what's back.

Underside of the hitch plate.

Click to view attachment

Starting to pull the bolts and plug weld the holes.

Click to view attachment

And the pile after the weekend.

Click to view attachment

Feel like I got something done.
914forme
Parts have landed:

Wildwood pedal assembly

Click to view attachment

And expansion tank

Click to view attachment

Andyrew
What did you spend on the pedal assembly? Thats a nice looking piece of kit..
914forme
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 23 2016, 10:04 PM) *

What did you spend on the pedal assembly? Thats a nice looking piece of kit..

For a song, I got it off a racer friend who was cleaning out a buds workshop. So I got a new part at a very good used price. I spent little over franklin on it with shipping. I have more in the Tilton M/Cs than I do on the pedal assembly. New these are right below $300 on the streets.

Now to see how well they fit.
914forme
Started working on mocking up the brake pedals.

Stock pedals up top, new ones below, they are actually shorter until you add the M/Cs

Click to view attachment

M/Cs add 2 - 1/4" to the overall length. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

And here is what they look like in the car, with my Double Wide size 13s.

Click to view attachment

Now what that does to the leg geometry.

Stock pedals, my knee sits 13" off the floor.
Wilwood's My knee is slightly under 15" If my memory is correct, even with my small steering wheel that will be tight. Looks like I would need to build a pedal box.

Issue #2 the Clutch M/C comes out right in the back of the brace coming off the front cross over that holds the rack. sad.gif Will have to think about that one, find a good solution.

Started working on the engine mount.

Click to view attachment

Cut apart with the bandsaw

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Welded to the chassis plate

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Both sides are welded up, and Zinc has bee applied to the back, ready to well in. Though I think I will add some try-angulation to the mount.

Made the pieces for the safety chains, and this will finish up the rear hitch lol-2.gif At least until it gets off the rotisserie. dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And Welded in

Click to view attachment

Finished laying down the welds on the sub straps, had to take a close up of this one!

Click to view attachment

Then I got a brilliant idea since everything was going so well, I would add some beads into the clutch slave cover.

Made myself a small T-dolly

Click to view attachment

And started smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif of stromberg.gif

What did I do screwy.gif

So this is where I am at right now, after 3 hours of hammer and dolly work sad.gif

But I got it so it fits again.

Click to view attachment

Sad thing is I have a bead roller that I should have used before I started harmer forming the cover. headbang.gif

Oh well, I keep learning this metal bumping stuff.
914forme
Got a couple hours in last night smash.gif

Click to view attachment

Inner reinforcements done for harness straps. These keep the spacer tube from going through the sheet metal. Hopefully I don't test this theory for function. dry.gif

Topic going on in Chris H. thread about water inlet size. On the EG the larger the better! So how big can you go?

Click to view attachment

Now to find a place to run a 2" tube under a 914 confused24.gif

Spent the rest of the night laying out the items in the engine compartment.

I have a large Oil filter, going in on the drivers side log.

A large Fuel filter going in on the Pass side log, not sure if I will be using it or not. Original idea was to build a fuel surge tank, feed it with a high volume low pressure pump, then have the High pressure pump in the engine bay. I have never had a fuel starvation problem in my 914 even while auto crossing, so why over engine this. confused24.gif Though the larger tires, more power, more aggressive suspension might make it a possibility.

Other issue could be heat soak with this design, vapor lock would be worse than a minor issue with fuel starvation.

Coolant Tank, upper pass side fire wall

Over flow bottle next to it, and a Engine Oil Overflow bottle Right next to it.

Don't forget that large Accusump, it goes down the drivers side log. It is almost a perfect fit.

Now the big question comes to air cleaner, and intake manifold.

screwy.gif idea.gif 3D print an intake manifold to run 2 sets of Triumph Triple Speed Throttle Bodies. And run filter stack air cleaners. Would it look good, wub.gif brings up a mother of another set of issues, but oh man wub.gif

Just finished eating breakfast, time to get out and get sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Andyrew
I really like the concept of the surge tank, especially with the fuel pump submergex in it. Constant flow of fuel over the pump will keep the pump cool and with the aid of a primer pump you shouldnt have fuel starvation issues. My current fuel setup might be a tad over engineered but its good enough to supply 700hp on e85... I simply wont get close to that but its nice knowing everything will be running efficiently and way before max limitations.

Your progress has been great as of late!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.