Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Trojanhorsepower's Rusty 74 restoration Mark II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
914forme
agree.gif exactly what they are and for
trojanhorsepower
Do new ones come with a set of pads?
914forme
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Jul 20 2016, 08:15 AM) *

Do new ones come with a set of pads?

no not normally in my experience.
76-914
Wire brush them. They need to be clean.
trojanhorsepower
Well its update time.
I just went ahead and welded the quarter panel on. I am sure it is not perfect, but hopefully it will be good enough.
Click to view attachment
In the mean time I have been working on a few other little odds and ends like the trailing arms.
I am no diagnostician, but I think this wheel bearing is bad....
Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
I have the trailing arms all taped up so when I get some more sand I will blast them and the A arms, then paint and store. A little more welding and I will be ready to blast the whole car.
trojanhorsepower
So another update.....
Another problem. I got new door sills but can't seem to make the triangles line up. is it normal to have to modify them?

Click to view attachment

The tiangles don't really line up with the door sill and they are off the outer rocker by about 1/4 inch.
dlee6204
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Feb 18 2017, 07:03 PM) *

So another update.....
Another problem. I got new door sills but can't seem to make the triangles line up. is it normal to have to modify them?

Click to view attachment

The tiangles don't really line up with the door sill and they are off the outer rocker by about 1/4 inch.

My replacements on the yellow car had the same issues. I had to modify them to fit.
trojanhorsepower
whew! OK I will mod with a clear conscience.
trojanhorsepower
Here are the modifications to the triangles.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Results:

Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
Does can someone post a picture of what this section is supposed to look like...

Click to view attachment

Mine was rusty and thin so I cut it out, but the other side is not great either.
trojanhorsepower
Well its been a while, but atlast....
Progress!!!!!!
trojanhorsepower
Naked 914
dlee6204
Awesome! Not much left before paint!
trojanhorsepower
Could it be? Is this possible?

Click to view attachment

The last rust holes welded up.. I have thought this several times already, but maybe this one is it.
trojanhorsepower
I have sanded most of the insides now. On to the bottom and outsides, then primer.
trojanhorsepower
Well its past time for another update..
Not as much visible progress, but I have been working. Going over the whole care with dental pick, toothbrush and vacuum. I am still finding sand, but I have the bulk of it out....I think.
I decided to go ahead and get the foam out from the rear fender.

Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
I have also been prepping my paint booth. I still have a ways to go, but here is the plan.
Positive pressure with furnace fan in filter box (still need to build). Plastic hanging from ceiling, and a filter wall built where the garage door is.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
This is the idea. Roll up when not in use. I will add plastic to the floor, and tape up all the seams before I spray.. roll up the door, turn on the fan and fire away.
I hope. Its small only about 20' long and 12' wide.
trojanhorsepower
Also building a "Hannah's Bug" decicant air dryer.
First I had to cut the stops out of the bushings. I had to make the screened outlet line and then just glue it all together.

Waiting on the regulator and desiccant beads.
trojanhorsepower
Well at last... Progress!
As discussed in my SPI thread with ScottyB I started with PPG Shopline JP371..
Click to view attachment

This is just the first coat. After this was dry I spent about an hour spinning the car and got a little more sand out.

Click to view attachment

Next I applied JP202 as a sealer

Click to view attachment

Then I applied color JB Marathon Blue Metalic

Click to view attachment

Mostly just messing around with the color on the outer panels, I plan to sand them all right back, but it was good practice.... and I mixed up too much paint.

Next I used the JC620 Clear on the inside stuff.

Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
I wasn't convinced I would ever get this far, but for the first time in who know how long she is the factory color again. Next I need to spray Raptor on the underside and wheel wells, then I can start bolting stuff back on. After most of that stuff is done, I will sand the outside back and repaint the outsides.
76-914
Looks good. I made the same style paint booth in 2009. Cost me about $60 but I already had an squirrel cage fan. Worked great! beerchug.gif
porschetub
Amazing progress considering what you started with...like my silver car (L96 D) but really like that colour I think a little more than mine.
Good luck you are getting closer beerchug.gif
dlee6204
smilie_pokal.gif

Adding color is always a satisfying step.
trojanhorsepower
Hey guys,
Quick question: are the rubber spring bits available or needed for the shocks. I have new shocks from PMB, but don't see this part for the fronts or rears. Rear is Haynes manual page 94 lower right corner item number 8. Front is Haynes page 100 item 26.

Also is there a round universal joint bushing (shift linkage) other than the $50 brass one that works OK?

Thanks
trojanhorsepower
How about some pictures of the front bulkhead? I need to see how the wires go from inside the cab, through the fuel tank section and into the front trunk.

Thanks,
trojanhorsepower
Well, I have not posted much, but I have done a little work.
Finished the under coating.Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
Redid the cluster.
Cairo94507
Glad to see you back at it. That is looking really nice. That has got to get you fired up. beerchug.gif
trojanhorsepower
Thanks!
trojanhorsepower
Rebuilt the blower.
trojanhorsepower
And the fresh air blower.
trojanhorsepower
Redid the suspension.
trojanhorsepower
Wiring fun.
trojanhorsepower
Added more bits and bobs.
trojanhorsepower
And its a roller again!
Can't seem to get beyond this point though. So, it's off to Doug's as soon as I can manage it. With his help maybe I can get back on track.
dlee6204
Peter brought me his car a couple weeks ago in an effort to get it as much as assembled as possible before paint so I will be adding to this thread as I/we make progress.

Worked to route some wiring on the front. Some of the wrap had been removed so I replaced a section for the harness in the front trunk.
Click to view attachment

Added some grommets and got the wiring for the fogs/horns routed through. Also added the front body plugs.
Click to view attachment

And then some misc items.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Engine lid drain tunnel
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Began work on the dash area.

The defrost vents were heavily discolored so I taped them off and gave them a coat of paint.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And then I began upholstering the upper dash area. Got the foam on, then the vinyl, and loosely bolted the dash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Just catching up here. Thanks for the updates. Your build provided me a lot of inspiration for my own and I'm glad to see the progress continuing. I love that color! beerchug.gif
trojanhorsepower
Thanks! I finally admitted to myself that it was not getting done. Funny enough, now that Doug is helping I have been able to get more work done myself. I have been prepping parts to take to Doug. I got the seat mechanism blasted and treated. I'll paint stuff tomorrow. It is really nice to be getting stuff done.
dlee6204
I've been making some progress on some of the wiring on the car. I've been rewrapping the harness where needed, installing heat shrink over the tabs that hold the wiring and getting it routed into place. The rear harness that goes from the engine bay to the trunk is one example...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Trunk light
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I've also been working on getting the dash in order. I applied the vinyl on the dash face, got the glove box door in working order, made a radio delete plate, and got the switches cleaned up and installed. Peter will likely add a radio down the road but a radio is low priority in the grand scheme of this build.

Click to view attachment

I then proceeded to install the assembled unit into the car.
Click to view attachment

And one of the big hurdles was completing the front fresh air system. Peter had a grab-bag of parts for the system so I had to sort through what was still needed, rob parts from my parts car, get all the cables routed correctly and adjusted properly and to get it back in the car without breaking any of the 50 year old plastic. This wasn't too bad of a job, just tedious. I'm waiting on two heater hoses to arrive that go from the mixing valves down to the longitudinals and then this will be 100%.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
looks Great ,,double check, did the bearing retainer get in place ?
dlee6204
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 22 2021, 10:34 PM) *

looks Great ,,double check, did the bearing retainer get in place ?

Bearing retainer got installed. Must have just been missing for the picture.
dlee6204
I haven't updated in about month but progress has been slow and steady.

Dash has been completed with the exception of the under dash pad.

Click to view attachment

Peter also brought his engine and transmission for me to go over. He rebuilt the long block almost 20 years ago and it has been sitting in storage since. Everything external still needed to be cleaned up and verified though. We made the decision to get all the tin powder coated which came out great and at a very reasonable price.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
With the tin freshly coated, assembly of the engine could begin

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Peter was also very wise to purchased a brand new ignition harness and FI harness.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The engine still needs a few things. It needs vacuum hoses, fuel lines, and the valve clearances to be set. After that it will be ready to be mated up and installed.

dlee6204
The transmission also needed some work. Peter had Dr. Evil rebuild it but the tailcone got damaged during shipping and needed replacing. Speedo drive gear, ground strap, clutch cable mount, rear mounts, clutch fork and throwout bearing were also installed. A rebuilt starter will compliment the install.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dion
Nice progress. Slow and steady for the win.
The dash and engine look fantastic!
trojanhorsepower
Dr. Evil hooked me up with a tail cone!
Went to Doug's yesterday and we installed and fired the engine. It was too late to run or brake it in, but it was very exciting to see some signs of life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.