Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennsport V
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dlkawashima
The date and location for Rennsport V is Oct. 9-11 Sept. 25-27, 2015 at Laguna Seca. Make room on your calendar for this one ... should be HUGE

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-01-23/porsche...n-v-date-change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adPy2iNhkzE
wes
piratenanner.gif beer.gif Great event!
ConeDodger
Hopefully, they do a better job with registration... Parade was awful this last year... But, I'm going! biggrin.gif
Michael N
Looked this morning for hotels but most of them are not taking reservations yet. I booked one anyways for more than I wanted to pay that I can cancel if needed. I would guess that the local hotel rates will go higher as event is advertised. Camping for the event is not set up yet either. headbang.gif I am excited for the event though. rolling.gif boldblue.gif mueba.gif dance.gif monkeydance.gif
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 9 2014, 10:23 AM) *

Hopefully, they do a better job with registration... Parade was awful this last year... But, I'm going! biggrin.gif

Parade was a PCA event, PCNA will do a much better job.
GeorgeRud
If it's as great as the last one, it should rock! Monterey is a great place to visit as well.
wes
The last Rensport event in Montery was great and the hotel, motels are most often sold out as Montery is a event Capitol, most always something going on that draws a lot of people besides the fact that it's just a great place to vist.
SKL1
think the date is a coincidence??? easy to remember...
Manny Alban
Comparing Parade registration and Rennsport is apples and oranges. Parade is a week long event that has over 20 events that you can register for. Rennsport, if you go as a spectator, just requires you to buy a ticket and a corral pass (if you drive your Porsche).

btw, PCNA will not handle tickets. Laguna Seca's ticket agent will most likely handle that.

PCA will handle the corrals. Hopefully this time around the ticket agent gather the necessary data (year, model, etc) so our volunteers do not have to chase down over 1000 owners. Having Porsches separated by model was quite stunning.

PCNA asks PCA to handle registration for the LA, Detroit and NY autoshows since they do not have their own registration system.
EdwardBlume
We really enjoyed the last one. I could see it being much bigger.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Michael N @ Oct 9 2014, 11:27 AM) *

Looked this morning for hotels but most of them are not taking reservations yet. I booked one anyways for more than I wanted to pay that I can cancel if needed. I would guess that the local hotel rates will go higher as event is advertised. Camping for the event is not set up yet either. headbang.gif I am excited for the event though. rolling.gif boldblue.gif mueba.gif dance.gif monkeydance.gif

I'm interested in camping out. I can bring the pusher. How do you get a site?
jim_hoyland
I'm in this time; we should have a corral worth of 914's...
biosurfer1
Two in a row at the same place? I'm not complaining because I live close enough to go and have a place to stay already but I'm surprised they would do that.
dlkawashima
Rennsport II & III were at Daytona so that precedent has already been established.

According to the linked article, ticket sales went from 3,500 at Rennsport III to about 40,000 at Rennsport IV. Taking into account the huge jump in ticket sales, it's not surprising they chose to come back to the Monterey Peninsula for Rennsport V.
Krieger
So, whats to do at this event?
Michael N
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 9 2014, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Michael N @ Oct 9 2014, 11:27 AM) *

I'm interested in camping out. I can bring the pusher. How do you get a site?

I called today for campsite reservations. The lady said that they have not set the pricing for the event yet. She told me to check back the first week of November.
pete000
OK, now I have a goal to get my car running by then !!!
mapguy
To quote Jules Winfield:

"I'm going, man. That's all there is to it. I'm F***ing going!"

Would be cool to caravan up with some other SoCal teeners. Lots of time to organize, and mine *should* be back where it belongs by then - on the road to a Porsche nerd fest.
gulf908
Dave,

Thanks for the tipoff.
I will be there !
We have the local PC concours here in Sydney this Sunday.
I will let our regular RR tragics know !

Cheers,
Dennis. smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
This looks to be extremely cool & I'm considering attending, however not with my cars. No way I'm towing or driving either of my teeners across the country & back; too expensive & stressful.
naro914
We will be there...somehow, some way. The weekend before is Petit LeMans which could make things interesting...

Hmmm....maybe we could get a truck to transport cars from the Southeast to pick up right after Petit so we can have our cars in the corral??? hmmm....
EdwardBlume
Dear PCA Members,

It’s official: Rennsport Reunion V will be held at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on October 9-11 next year, according to Porsche Cars North America (PCNA), four years after the fourth installment of the world-renowned Porsche festival.

PCA.org Rennsport Reunion V post

Rennsport V is expected to attract hundreds of vintage and modern Porsche race cars, "as well as those who have designed, engineered, and driven them to victory in the world's most famous sports car races," PCNA states. Like Rennsports before it, number five will consist of three days of vintage racing, a Concours d'Elegance, and activities celebrating each of six decades of Porsche race cars — all crash courses of Porsche history.

And if you just want to watch fast Porsche metal racing on a world-famous race track, then prepare to whet your appetite with race-prepped 356s, mid-engined 550 Spyders, 718 RSKs, 917s, 956/962s, GT3 RSRs, RS Spyders, and so many more.

“While the Rennsport name from the beginning has become a staple fixture for international collectors and racers, choosing the Monterey Peninsula opened up this one-of-a-kind gathering to the many Porsche fans in California and beyond who were previously unable to attend,” said Detlev von Platen, President and Chief Executive Officer of Porsche Cars North America. “Approximately 40,000 spectators for the weekend, and a record number of race cars and participants, proved that our decision to come here was correct.” To put that number into context, compare it to the roughly 3,500 tickets sold for 2007's Rennsport III at Daytona International Speedway.

As with Rennsport IV, which attracted around 1,300 Porsche Club of America member-owned Porsches, according to PCNA, Rennsport V is expected to have a similarly huge turnout of members and their Porsches, filling race classes, show fields, and parking lots at the race track. It's the perfect way to finish PCA's year-long 60th anniversary celebration.

The first Rennsport Reunion was held in 2001 at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut, followed by the second and third at Daytona International Speedway in 2004 and 2007, and the fourth at Laguna Seca in 2011. All the while, the festival was growing exponentially, with tens of thousands more attendees flooding Laguna Seca for Rennsport IV compared to Rennsport III, which sold 3,500 tickets. Due to the success of the last event, we would have been surprised if Rennsport V weren’t in the books — and indeed there have been grumblings about a fifth, though time and place were unknown until today.

Porsche Club of America is an official Rennsport Reunion V partner, so look to our website and social media channels for official updates and information in the coming year.

Sincerely,

Damon Lowney

Porsche Club of America

Digital Media Coordinator
www.PCA.org
JStroud
I missed the last one, not going to miss this one. I already have a house in pacific grove to stay at, and my engine rebuild will be done long before then. See you there!

Jeff
Manny Alban
This event should eclipse RR IV in attendance and cars.

I think what turned Porsche off about Daytona was that the place always seemed empty. It was built for Nascar and the Daytona 500. Laguna is much more intimate and scenic. Plus, and let's be real, there is no comparison between Daytona and Carmel. I didn't have to do much arm twisting to convince the wife to come to RRIV. She is already excited about RR V.

Big picture is that the Rennsport Reunions are never guaranteed. Don't say "I'll go next time" because it may not happen.

btw, rental cars are fine...you'll just be parking on the outside of the track...the walk will do you good smile.gif
GeorgeRud
I seem to remember that the infield Porsche parking filled in immediately at IV, and many were parked up on the hillside lots as well. Regardless how you get there, just go to see the event!

I agree with Manny, I didn't have to convince my wife to come back to Carmel. Once at Daytona was enough for us, though it was fun to see the Speedway in person.
Scott S
I got the a-ok from the boss (my wife) yesterday. If my work schdule allows, I am definitely going. I have never been to one before - really really hope it works out.
Michael N
Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
Now is a good time to book a room if you are even thinking about going.
Mike Bellis
I just booked my room at the Howard Johnson in Marina, near the AX course. piratenanner.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 11 2014, 08:27 AM) *

I just booked my room at the Howard Johnson in Marina, near the AX course. piratenanner.gif

LOL shades.gif That is where I am booked at also.

If it is good enough for the Corvette Club, it is good enough for me.
Maltese Falcon
We will be there , stop by and say hi at the MSDS booth, over in the merchants midway. There might be a cool mid engine Porsche in our tent !Click to view attachment
Marty
914_teener
Staying at my sister in-laws in Prunedale like last time.

This time I am taking my car.

One of the best times I had last time was watching Chris Frank in a -4 914 1.7 just walk on the rest of the field. The other notable moment was seeing a 917 full bore on the backstretch.

Good times. Hope to see some from the rest of our "World" there.

If any of you have not seen this....it is a great event.
jim_hoyland

Did you make your reservation via land line ? Their web site won't take a reservation that far ahead...
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 11 2014, 04:20 PM) *

Did you make your reservation via land line ? Their web site won't take a reservation that far ahead...

Online. Had to wait until today as it only books 1 year in advance.
lonewolfe

Hey Mike!

What was the room rate if you don't mind me asking? Marina would be pretty close. I went to Rennsport IV and it was awesome!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Oct 11 2014, 04:42 PM) *

Hey Mike!

What was the room rate if you don't mind me asking? Marina would be pretty close. I went to Rennsport IV and it was awesome!

$84-$104 per night. My Thursday to Sunday was under $400
jim_hoyland
Are there going to be events at the Marina AX ?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 11 2014, 05:07 PM) *

Are there going to be events at the Marina AX ?

There wasn't last time and the local PCA teams will likely avoid it.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 11 2014, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Oct 11 2014, 04:42 PM) *

Hey Mike!

$84-$104 per night. My Thursday to Sunday was under $400

Not bad! Thanks Mike!
GeorgeRud
The Hyatt Resort and Homewood Suites have rooms, but they're about $300/ night. Our reservations are already made for the event, and I can't wait!
dlkawashima
Just bumping this up to the top ...

Here's a video to keep you interested. Apparently the 914s were so fast, only two could be caught on camera. See if you can find them ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6F3wHsmI0
race914
Just booked our room.

Been to the last 3, missed the 1st one at Lime Rock.

At IV, I took a break near the biergarten and all of a sudden people started stopping, looking, and taking pics.?!? I wasn't sure what the heck was going on until I noticed Derek Bell was right next to me relaxing!! pray.gif

How cool is that. I'm sure I've been Photoshopped out of many, many photos!

Pretty cool event when famous Porsche Drivers are just hanging out with everyone else.
race914
The Craziness has already started.....

We booked the Howard Johnson in Marina for $120/night

While checking out restaurants, etc, I came across the Howard Johnson in Seaside, They are both ~20 minutes from the track, so we decided to check it out since we like that area... Rooms were $370/night!!! blink.gif

The word is getting around about the Rennsport dates...
jim_hoyland
Got a question; does PCA sell tickets ? How is this gonna work ?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 17 2014, 07:24 PM) *

Got a question; does PCA sell tickets ? How is this gonna work ?

There will be a fee or cost of some kind. I think they released the dates so hotels could get booked. I'm sure there will be further details as we get closer to the date.
EdwardBlume
It depends. If you want a paddock pass its more. If you want to just sit in the stands, less.

I would highly recommend the paddock pass.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 18 2014, 05:04 AM) *

It depends. If you want a paddock pass its more. If you want to just sit in the stands, less.

I would highly recommend the paddock pass.

Do we pre-order paddock passes or stand seating ?
Manny Alban
More than likely, PCA won't be selling tickets. The track or rather the track's ticket agent will sell them. Normally they'll have a spectator pass and a Porsche only corral pass. I doubt they will sell out of the spectator passes. Corral, yes, spectator, no.

As they say, more info to come.
Mike Bellis
From Mazda Raceway...

PORSCHE RENNSPORT REUNION V
October 9-11, 2015
What: Porsche Rennsport Reunion V will be the world’s greatest gathering of Porsche race cars and the drivers who drove them to victory. Hosted by Porsche Cars North America, it will assemble the widest variety of Porsche’s most historic racing models from the nimble 550 Spyder of the mid-Fifties through the mighty 917 and 956/962 of the Seventies and Eighties to the highly successful RS Spyder of the last decade.

Last held in 2011, Porsche Rennsport Reunion is nirvana for not only Porsche enthusiasts, but everyone interested in motorsports and automobile history. A special Porsche Concours will also be held, showcasing some of the finest road-going Porsches in one location.

When: October 9-11, 2015

Tickets: Tickets will go on sale in December.

Parking: Free parking available.

Gates: Open at 7 a.m.

More Info: 800-327-7322

EdwardBlume
Beat me to it. Definitely pre order. I got the feeling from the first West Coast event taut it could be much much bigger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.