Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Frame Repair Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
cdmcse
Mount welded on...
cdmcse
Engine Bay completely done and POR-15'ed.
cdmcse
My hell hole is no longer a hell hole...
cdmcse
Right side RD rocker re-enforcement installed...
cdmcse
Last one for now. Left Side Rocker re-enforcement. Note the Jackpost Delete. Now for a beer.gif
cdmcse
A little more work done, First panel of the chassis stiffening kit installed...
cdmcse
Got my rear arms cleaned up and new bearings installed...
Brad Roberts
I havent been following along.. but where is the down tube going that comes from the top of the main hoop ??

Surprised you are installing the GT kit with a caged car.

B
cdmcse
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 29 2005, 08:34 PM)
I havent been following along.. but where is the down tube going that comes from the top of the main hoop ??

Surprised you are installing the GT kit with a caged car.

B

The down tube goes to the shock towers, then another fork from that goes to the inside suspension ear.

What I was getting during hard corning is a twisting effect on the down tube to the suspension ear (The right rear was actually barely rubbing in the fender occasionally). I think this was mainly due to where the chassis was weakend due to rust. I replaced the severely rusted areas, but I think the whole structure is probably slightly weaker due to the rust.

I decided to lock it all in together with the stiffening kit. I think I will only use the piece pictured above and the small piece that ties that to the outer mount. I am still considering if I should use the one that goes on the bottom side of the mount.
Brad Roberts
It looks good. I really like that color of blue.

I would use the other piece you are referencing.

The side piece you installed isnt really needed when you run a tube to the front of the shock tower. What we used to see in GT caged cars (with no down tubes) they would crack right in front of the shock tower as we increased spring rate over 300lbs. The stiff kit didnt help this. Only the tubing to the front side of the shock tower helped (or to the top of the frame rail just in front of the shock tower)

This car looks familiar. Was this the one that the "dealer" in KY had for sale ? Had multiple pics on a website they run for a small used car dealership ?

B
cdmcse
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 29 2005, 10:13 PM)
This car looks familiar. Was this the one that the "dealer" in KY had for sale ? Had multiple pics on a website they run for a small used car dealership ?

B

Yep same car. It ended up having more rust in it than I thought when I bought it, but That is all behind me now. rolleyes.gif
Brad Roberts
I was asked last April to have someone take a look at the car for us (Resident German Female) She wanted to know if I could go buy it for her and bring it back here. She wanted a track/AutoX car. I told her we would locate something closer to us... we did... The rest is history. It appears you have sorted out all the issues. Get it back together so you can enjoy it.

B
cdmcse
OK, now since we are having a KY 914 meet on the 22nd, I am going to finish this thing. Left side stiffening kit installed...
cdmcse
Right Side...
cdmcse
Left door sill, I had to take the doors off to finish it right.
cdmcse
This is my patch I made for the door sill. There was a rust repair done there in the past that was bascally hammer a big dent in all the rust, then fill with 1" of bondo. dry.gif
cdmcse
Last one for now. The Right door sill. Now I just have to patch a couple of small holes in the driver wheel well, then I am 100% done with the welding!!!!!! boldblue.gif
914fire
thats looking good keep it up.. clap.gif
cdmcse
Woo Hoo, all the welding is done. smile.gif Prime and Paint tomorrow and friday, re-assemble this weekend.
Michael J
Wow, I just ran across your repair thread. That series of pictures is a good story for those who think that a bunch of rust means the junk yard. Good work and good luck. I was worried about just replacing my battery tray and claening up surface rust. I am inspired.
xsboost90
i saw that car for sale, very nice looking car, ill have to check it out sometime after mine is done.
cdmcse
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 14 2005, 12:02 PM)
i saw that car for sale, very nice looking car, ill have to check it out sometime after mine is done.

You are pretty close to me, so we will have to hook up sometime. I'm trying my best to get the car done by next weekend.
cdmcse
Paint work is finished. It is not the greatest finish but it will protect from rust until I get the whole car a profressional paint job. Now all that is left is re-assembly...
cdmcse
Passenger Jamb...
cdmcse
Again...
cdmcse
Right Rear...
cdmcse
Hell Hole
cdmcse
Drivers Side
cdmcse
Hell Hole again...
cdmcse
Right Suspension...
cdmcse
Last one for now - Underbelly...
cdmcse
Rear suspension is in...
cdmcse
Front Suspension (88 Carrera). I have some questions about the swaybar though I'll ask in another thread...
cdmcse
Engine is all cleaned up, reassembled and ready to go back in...
Gint
QUOTE (cdmcse @ May 15 2005, 10:10 PM)
Paint work is finished. It is not the greatest finish but it will protect from rust until I get the whole car a profressional paint job. Now all that is left is re-assembly...

Looks pretty good to me...
Michael J
I have to jump in again and say how great it is to see the after pictures. The before was scary. My before is not as bad but i figure I have a piece of cake now. Thanks for all the process pictures.
cdmcse
Thanks for the comments!

I have to jump in again and say how great it is to see the after pictures. The before was scary. My before is not as bad but i figure I have a piece of cake now. Thanks for all the process pictures.

You should be able to tackle that. I have learned so much during this process and I enjoyed doing most of it. Now that I am on the tail end, I can hardly wait to drive it again.
cdmcse
Wiring is done...
cdmcse
Pedals and Shifter are in, Engman's Pedal Board ROCKS! smilie_pokal.gif
cdmcse
Seats and Harnesses are in...
cdmcse
The interior is complete except for my Burnt Steering wheel mad.gif
Gint
Nice! What''s the black stuff on the floor pans? What'd you use?
rallyman
I like these threads, but it seems there is one thing I never see (or hear?). What are you guys using to cut out the metal before you go to patching? Airbody saw or nibblers or ???? What are the recommendations on this?

Thanks for the info.....
cdmcse
QUOTE (Gint @ May 24 2005, 06:41 AM)
Nice! What''s the black stuff on the floor pans? What'd you use?

It is just some of that black floor runner you can find in hardware stores. Cut it to fit.
cdmcse
QUOTE (rallyman @ May 24 2005, 07:08 AM)
I like these threads, but it seems there is one thing I never see (or hear?). What are you guys using to cut out the metal before you go to patching? Airbody saw or nibblers or ???? What are the recommendations on this?

Thanks for the info.....

That is because the method varies greatly depending on what you are fixing. I would primarily try to remove the original spot welds where possible using a spot weld cutting drill bit. When that didn't work I would use a thin cutting wheel on my angle grinder or a swazall. Some are areas really sucked and I had to resort to a dremel tool, or even a hacksaw blade to make some of the more delicate cuts. I typically did not use any kind of shears as it deforms the edge of the metal when cutting.

I think the air bodysaw is probably a good way to go also, but I don't have one yet.

I think it is important just to have a selection of metal cutting tools as you will need various types for various locations. My personal favorite is the 4.5" cutting wheel on my angle grinder, cuts fast with lots of sparks drooley.gif
Jeroen
beer.gif for a job well done!
cdmcse
Woo Hoo I fired up the engine today. boldblue.gif

Over the weekend I got a lot done...

Rebuilt the carbs, installed motor / tranny, rewired the engine bay, installed the drive shafts, fabricated an exhaust, plumbed it all.

Engine in the car...
cdmcse
My fabricated exhaust. 76 manifolds flipped attached to 31" glasspacks. Simple and it sounds really throaty. It is loud, but not too loud for me biggrin.gif. Sounds kinda like an 60's F1 car now.
cdmcse
Last one from this weekend. Under the engine.

All I have left to do now is...

Buy Tires
Rebuild the rear calipers
Bleed the brakes
Install shift linkage
install the sway bar and support brackets on the front.
Fabricate a bracket for the throttle cable
Alignment

And she will be ready to hit the street. Of course I have to buy all that stuff so until my cashflow improves she will sit quietly on the jackstands eagerly awaiting the time to roll.
Greg Bell
Awesome! F@#@ing inspiring! Great work. My father and I screwed around for years. It is nice to see somebody just get it done! Hats off!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.