Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Frame Repair Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
cdmcse
OK, more progress...Top coated the POR-15 with some rattle can blue.
cdmcse
smilie_pokal.gif Yay, the floorpan is in!
cdmcse
Driver's Side.
cdmcse
Passenger Side. Next I have to finish the passenger side Firewall and I'll be ready to paint all the repairs up. (If I ever get the engine shelf from R-D) wacko.gif
Jeroen
Impressive job!
Go have a beer.gif or make that beer.gif beer.gif
cdmcse
More work done...Inner firewall done.
cdmcse
Cancer removed from the outer firewall...
cdmcse
Outer firewall patched...
SirAndy
QUOTE (cdmcse @ Mar 1 2005, 11:54 PM)
I welded all the clutch tube breakage, then I added this extra re-enforcement to the center clutch tube bracket. That should hold it.

schweet! smilie_pokal.gif

most people don't even know it's there. if the tube breaks off, it'll slide out from under the bracket and hit the shift rod (or worse). good idea to reinforce it ....

nice work!
beerchug.gif Andy
SpecialK
Now that's a view of the center tunnel you don't see too often! huh.gif

Looks like you're doing one hell of a job! pray.gif

Makes me think that there's hope for the '75 rusting away in my backyard.
Lou W
Looks great smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
That's love buddy, painting to match on the inside of the tunnel where no-one can see, but you did it because YOU know it's there. Looks great!
Gint
Good lookin work!
cdmcse
Well, after the arrival of our new son (March 6th). I was finally able to get back out to the garage this past weekend.

Gratuitous pic of the handsome kid (He looks like me of course!)...
cdmcse
Now back on topic...Passenger side floor re-enforcement (grafted together from 2 partially rusted ones).
cdmcse
Driver's side floor re-enforcement, this one is new.
cdmcse
Right Rear Floor Jackpoint.
cdmcse
Left Rear Jackpoint.
cdmcse
Engine Shelf installed. I finally got all the parts I need from Restoration Design.
cdmcse
The interior all grinded and stripped ready to POR-15 and Paint.
cdmcse
The Firewall had Zero Rust!!!! Yay clap.gif

michelko
Fantastic smilie_pokal.gif . This look very familiar to me!

Keep on posting picĀ“s

smilie_flagge6.gif
Jeroen
Excellent work Chris!
And congrats on the kid smilie_pokal.gif
CptTripps
Well done sir....very nice work.

I think we need to get shirts made for those of us that did (or are doing) a 914 over the winter.

'914 Mid-West Class of 2005' or something like that. I may have to go to summer-school to graduate though. blink.gif
kafermeister
Wow! congrats on the new arrival. You know in a few years, you're going to have to build him his own 914... biggrin.gif

R
Gint
Congratulations on the pit crew!
cdmcse
A little farther along... POR-15 Silver Applied
cdmcse
Another...
Root_Werks
Sweet! Another 914 saved from the rust monster! boldblue.gif
maf914
Way to go, Chris! Great looking work.

Also, congradulations to you and your wife on the birth of your son. He is a nice looking boy. smilie_pokal.gif
cdmcse
Well I reached what I feel like is a major milestone...got the interior done except for re-assembly. After watching CptTripps bedliner his interior with good results, deceided I would like some texture inside as well.

Here is what I did to my interior...

1) took it down to bare metal (mostly)
2) Clean, Metal-ready, POR-15 Silver
3) Etching Primer
4) Paintable textured undercoating
5) Sealing Primer
6) Adriatic Blue Topcoat

I think it turned out real well. Since I'm not putting carpet in there I think it will be pretty durable too.
cdmcse
Another...
cdmcse
Another
cdmcse
Last one. Now just a few more bits on the outside and some paint, then re-assembly will begin for summer drivin! driving.gif
dakotaewing
How did you apply the Por-15 and primer? Gun or brush...?
I need to do the same thing....
Thom
cdmcse
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Apr 12 2005, 10:52 PM)
Thom

I sprayed it with a gun. I have a little $20 gun from Harbor Freight. Mixed it up with 5% POR-15 thinner and 95% POR-15. And the primer was sprayed too.

Works good, but it has the nastiest fumes of anything I have used. Pay for a good mask or respirator. wink.gif
tat2dphreak
looks awesome man!!
Eric_Shea
Chris,

You do really good work. smilie_pokal.gif
brant
Really really really amazing work
good job
brant
Root_Werks
Wow! ohmy.gif Looks great! This 914 sure has come a long way! Good job! smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
That does look fantastic. Nice work.
dakotaewing
QUOTE (cdmcse @ Apr 13 2005, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Apr 12 2005, 10:52 PM)
Thom

I sprayed it with a gun. I have a little $20 gun from Harbor Freight. Mixed it up with 5% POR-15 thinner and 95% POR-15. And the primer was sprayed too.

Works good, but it has the nastiest fumes of anything I have used. Pay for a good mask or respirator. wink.gif

How much of each did you have to buy in order to do this? (Not just the POR-15, but the other stuff too -)

I have got a cheap gun too....!!!!! mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

Thanks - Thom
cdmcse
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Apr 13 2005, 01:46 PM)

How much of each did you have to buy in order to do this? (Not just the POR-15, but the other stuff too -)

I have got a cheap gun too....!!!!! mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

Thanks - Thom

Let's See,

3 6oz cans of POR-15 (I buy in it in those six packs) ~ $37
1 Quart of Etching primer (It is real thin and I used the whole quart) ~ $18
3 Rattle cans of 3M Paintable Rubberized undercoating. ~$30
1 Quart of Sealing Primer (used about 1/3 to 1/2 of that) ~$15
1 Quart of Adriatic blue (Used about 1/2 of that) ~$22

I also used a 1/2 tube of that POR-15 patch to cover some welding and rust pinholes. (BTW: that is tough stuff, make sure you wipe it as smooth as possible unless you want to sand on it 4 ever)

It cost me about $150 bucks to do the whole thing, not too bad.
Rusty
You've done some great work... my hat is off to you. clap.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
michelko
QUOTE (cdmcse @ Apr 13 2005, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Apr 13 2005, 01:46 PM)

I have got a cheap gun too....!!!!! mueba.gif  :mueba:  :mueba:

Thanks - Thom

Let's See,

3 6oz cans of POR-15 (I buy in it in those six packs) ~ $37
1 Quart of Etching primer (It is real thin and I used the whole quart) ~ $18
3 Rattle cans of 3M Paintable Rubberized undercoating. ~$30
1 Quart of Sealing Primer (used about 1/3 to 1/2 of that) ~$15
1 Quart of Adriatic blue (Used about 1/2 of that) ~$22

I also used a 1/2 tube of that POR-15 patch to cover some welding and rust pinholes. (BTW: that is tough stuff, make sure you wipe it as smooth as possible unless you want to sand on it 4 ever)

It cost me about $150 bucks to do the whole thing, not too bad.

very nice work smilie_pokal.gif .
Is there an reference number for the adriatic blue paint? Or must the colour been mixed to match the existing colour?
I have to paint some parts of my car in the near future. Which kind of paint did you use?

Regards Michael

smilie_flagge6.gif
cdmcse
QUOTE (michelko @ Apr 14 2005, 01:24 AM)

very nice work smilie_pokal.gif .
Is there an reference number for the adriatic blue paint? Or must the colour been mixed to match the existing colour?
I have to paint some parts of my car in the near future. Which kind of paint did you use?

Regards Michael

smilie_flagge6.gif

All I did was go to my local auto paint store and tell them the code (L50E) and the year (1972). They looked it up on a computer to get the formula and mixed it.

It is way too bright to match the old paint on the outside of my car, so unless you paint the whole thing I wouldn't go that route.

Most shops offer computer matching also. You can take your headlight lid with you and they can scan it with their computer. This "should" match your car exactly taking into account the years of wear and fading on the paint.

I used a low end acrylic enamel since it was just on the interior. If you are going to paint the outside, the guy I bought the paint from recommended a paint that is a base-coat and clear-coat combined into one. He said it is the easiest to make look good.

Good Luck and keep up the good work on yours also! cool_shades.gif
premierauto5150
Chris...I just have to throw in my two cents here....EXCELLENT WORK!!! Like I've said before....its great that you ended up with that car from us and have put your heart and soul in it. I'm jealous now....as if I wasn't the day I drove it you.

We can't wait to see it in person and if you need anything just let us know.

BTW...after you get this stage of the project done you should consider doing some resto work for others...hint, hint..I have a 73 2.0 that could use your touch!!

See ya,
Mark
www.premier-autosales.com
Bleyseng
Oh, you mean the one in your avatar pic??? looks like it needs some rust repairs......
cdmcse
QUOTE (premierauto5150 @ Apr 21 2005, 12:19 PM)
Chris...I just have to throw in my two cents here....EXCELLENT WORK!!! Like I've said before....its great that you ended up with that car from us and have put your heart and soul in it. I'm jealous now....as if I wasn't the day I drove it you.

We can't wait to see it in person and if you need anything just let us know.

BTW...after you get this stage of the project done you should consider doing some resto work for others...hint, hint..I have a 73 2.0 that could use your touch!!

See ya,
Mark
www.premier-autosales.com

Well, I am coming to see you guys soon to get that pipe so we can talk about that wink.gif

As far as the one in you avatar, it probably just needs a few welds here and there, some duct tape, and a bungee cord or two and and everything will be fine rolleyes.gif Or maybe we could get one of those fine chasis that AA has for sale on Ebay right now. laugh.gif
cdmcse
More Progress, it is too nice outside for my teener to be on jackstands. Fitting the Right outer suspension mount (Thanks Cloudbuster for the rust-free CA part).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.