Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 "Esterle" Dash top GB -Level 2 discount availale until all orders filled $150 off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Mikey914
We are wrapping up the tooling on the late dash tops in another 3-4 weeks. I say 5 as typically there's always something that takes a little longer. These are made from a NOS original. The method of manufacture will allow it to look like NOS, but will actually be more robust in that you will not have the expansion and contraction issues the OEM did, but the texture is an exact duplicate.

We are doing something a little different in having 2 levels of group buy. If you sign up before these go in production, your cost will be $310, if you execute the transaction,when these are a week from being ready to ship. Think "pre-order".

So you will have a period 1 week prior to place the order, we will contact you to let you know. This gets you the very best pricing.

If you can't do it right away, we will be keeping the GB open for 30 days after we start shipping , your order will be filled in order, and you cost will be $400. The full retail on these will be $550.

We didn't want to put this out there until we know we could make a good product.

I was really hoping to have a prototype ready for WCR, but it's just too close.

I wanted to thank Ken for making his NOS dash available for duplication, so the part will bear his name.

So who's game?
rick 918-S
Wow! What great news! I want one but what if I have to bail later. BTW: I have a crack free early dash pad iffin you think you want to reproduce the early ones too... shades.gif
Andyrew
Great new (I have a crack free dash, so its not a huge thing for me.. but the community it certainly is)!!!! Is the targa bar pad also in the works?
dlkawashima
Same here, mine is crack free too, but I'm very interested in purchasing one of these as a backup. Will there be a core exchange requirement? And +1 for the targa bar pad!
JamesM
Might as well....

put me down for one.
mepstein
Even your regular price is awesome. I'm also looking for the targa pad.
rfinegan
yep I am in...invoice/ IM me when ready... (75)

-Robert
sb914
Mines 73 is that late, if so sign me up mark!
76-914
Yes, +1. PM me when you need payment.
Last930
I too have a '73; put me down for one if it is for my year.
MoveQik
I am in IF(here comes the high maintenance guys.....) they are available with the ashtray deleted. If that is available, I'll send the money now!
Kansas 914
I have a '72 a '74 and a '75.

I have a brand new in the box dash from AP Products (about 5 years old). How can I tell the difference between new and old? I need at least one and will "pre-order".

This is awesome.

PS: I need three targa pads...... wink.gif
Mblizzard
Well I guess the shoots the crap out of the "sad day for 914 rubber" I posted!

Mark your the guy we all love to hate. I am so in let me know when to pay. As if you don't have my credit card memorized by now.

I am expecting a quality part here. Ok so who is going to let me move in with them when I tell my wife? confused24.gif
bigkensteele
I am honored. And glad that I don't have to keep my mouth shut anymore! Mark and I have talked about this on and off for what seems like a few years now, and I was excited to be involved, even if all I did was loan him a part.

And, yes, I know that my NOS piece is not worth as much now, but I did it for you people! beerchug.gif
NFBrown
The Porsche parts catalog only lists one top pad (but different early and late lower pads)so I assume these new pads will fit early or late? Perhaps they just look a little different.

Mark, I want one for my very early '73. Just tell us where and when to sign up.

Nick
Mikey914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 13 2015, 04:10 PM) *

I am in IF(here comes the high maintenance guys.....) they are available with the ashtray deleted. If that is available, I'll send the money now!

I'm sorry, we are molding in high pressure tooling. So we can't really have the ability to delete, like it was being recovered.
I'd love to help you out, but it wouldn't pencil out to make the tool modifiable for this option.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Apr 13 2015, 05:16 PM) *

Well I guess the shoots the crap out of the "sad day for 914 rubber" I posted!

Mark your the guy we all love to hate. I am so in let me know when to pay. As if you don't have my credit card memorized by now.

I am expecting a quality part here. Ok so who is going to let me move in with them when I tell my wife? confused24.gif

These will be a quality part. Hopefully at this price point and a little advance warning, you have some time to "grease the wheels".

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(NFBrown @ Apr 13 2015, 05:58 PM) *

The Porsche parts catalog only lists one top pad (but different early and late lower pads)so I assume these new pads will fit early or late? Perhaps they just look a little different.

Mark, I want one for my very early '73. Just tell us where and when to sign up.

Nick

I only have late cars, so I would have to double check, but it is my understanding the variation is in the clearance for the glove box. They very well may be interchangeable, with the later part superseding the previous, I will do some research before I dive into it.
Mikey914
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Apr 13 2015, 03:05 PM) *

Same here, mine is crack free too, but I'm very interested in purchasing one of these as a backup. Will there be a core exchange requirement? And +1 for the targa bar pad!

I should have answered this earlier. No exchange, these will be all brand new. You order we ship.
Thanks,
Mark
Shadowfax
I'm in too. Thanks for doing this. My dash is trashed.
914_teener
I'm in......Father's Day gift.

Timing sounds about right. Gotta pay taxes first.

Mine is a 73...so I'll assume that is early?
Mikey914
Interestingly enough, I noticed the tops may be the same. I thought there was variation, but I can't see it very well in the pictures I can find. It may be the same part.
Wonderbread
I'm in, 72. Thanks
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 13 2015, 06:12 PM) *

Interestingly enough, I noticed the tops may be the same. I thought there was variation, but I can't see it very well in the pictures I can find. It may be the same part.

I am not positive, but I think that the underside of my dash does not have smooth vinyl all the way to the edge, which would be revealed on an early application without the side vents. Perhaps Mark can verify. I am guessing/hoping that the new units might be smooth.

The other thing that I have heard is that the late version somehow inhibits the glove box from opening all the way, but I can't see how that would be the case. Perhaps I am thinking of the bottom pad on that.
gms
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 13 2015, 09:12 PM) *

The difference is the notch for the glove box door.
you will notice that the glove box became narrower with the addition of the side vents on the dash.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 13 2015, 10:12 PM) *

That's my car! I can tell by the wet sanding water/paint stain on my rug that I've shampooed 5 or 6 times now dry.gif
As for the dash it's the original 74, uncracked dash.
Mikey914
I had thought the same, but only one part number would suggest there is no variation. We can ask for a measurement from n early car. But from what can be seen in the pictures is that the glove box lock area looks to have the same amount of relief in that area. The inner side is harder to see. Yes the glove box size has changed, but on a minor detail where the early dash tooling would fit the later style would not warrant making a new tool to decrease the area. There is no benefit to changing it.

I will call this a late dash, in that it was to fit onto a late car but there is only one part number.

Anyone with an early dash that they can measure the indentation?
leebenedi
Hello Mark. Can you quote me a price with shipping to Spain?

Thanks.

Lee
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 14 2015, 01:33 AM) *

I had thought the same, but only one part number would suggest there is no variation. We can ask for a measurement from n early car. But from what can be seen in the pictures is that the glove box lock area looks to have the same amount of relief in that area. The inner side is harder to see. Yes the glove box size has changed, but on a minor detail where the early dash tooling would fit the later style would not warrant making a new tool to decrease the area. There is no benefit to changing it.

I will call this a late dash, in that it was to fit onto a late car but there is only one part number.

Anyone with an early dash that they can measure the indentation?

I just took some measurements. Yes, they are different. The early dash is 2cm wider at the opening. I'm sure either can be made to fit early or late but to be correct, there are two different sizes. Here's why you should make the early one as well - 6's have become so valuable that anyone doing a restoration will want the correct dash. Even if an early dash was 2x what your charging now, it would sell. You may not have a bunch of pre-orders but if your new dash is an exact match, it will be gold to a 6 owner. I'm sure there are some origional GT's $200-350K these days that could use a new dash as well. Be the one they call.

Let me know if you need more early info. The dash on my easrly conversion car is in very good condition and eventually I will have to pull it off to refinish the metal dash.
Mikey914
So, there is a difference. What year did the dash change to the vents , 73?
anderssj
My '72 has dash vents . . . I'll check the build date later.
aharder
I'm in for my 75 biggrin.gif

Did I hear something about Targa Bar Pads....... unsure.gif
Mikey914
Ok most likely a 71 cut off.
mepstein
I've also read that the early dash pad flares out at the ends more to meet up with the non vented lower pad, so it may be more than just a wider glovebox opening that differentiates early and late.
puffinator
I'll take an early ('70) if you build them.
Chris H.
You mean a real dash top for $310 pre-order???????? oh yes...I am in sir.. late car ('75).
pilothyer
Mark, You can count me in on this one..........Jerry
MoveQik
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 13 2015, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 13 2015, 04:10 PM) *

I'm sorry, we are molding in high pressure tooling. So we can't really have the ability to delete, like it was being recovered.
I'd love to help you out, but it wouldn't pencil out to make the tool modifiable for this option.

No problem Mark. Next dumb question....will you be making the ashtrays as well?
Mikey914
Always possible
Just a matter of availability and price of the old one
914itis
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 14 2015, 07:37 AM) *

So, there is a difference. What year did the dash change to the vents , 73?

Late 72 has dash vents .
jcd914
I am in for 1 for my 72 smile.gif

Jim
ChrisFoley
Please make the early dash top!!!!
smile.gif

If I can free up some cash I'll get more than one of the current batch in the pre-order.
A&P Mech
Sign me up. I will take one.

gms
early dash
Click to view attachment

late dash
Click to view attachment
JB620
Yes please, I'll take one for a 75.

Thanks Mark
michael7810
I'll take one for a '72 please. Thanks
cn2800
I am absolutely, positively in for one.
db9146
I'm in for one.
JRust
I am definitely in for one piratenanner.gif
e_artiles
I would like to be added to the list for my '74.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.