Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringing Back The Dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Chris H.
Wow, the right guy got this car for sure... it's a lot of work but it'll be really nice when done.

Hey it looks great in black but you're Irish Green comment made me remember another V8 conversion from years ago. Rich Brennick's car (a 283).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Just thought I'd show you since yours would look pretty similar. Hard to beat the look of a black flared 914 though....
arkitect
QUOTE(LeftCoastErik @ May 30 2015, 07:20 AM) *

Yesterday I got the rear inner fenders cleaned and tacked in the gt kit. Also cut the front fenders off because I couldn't stand looking at them any more. I also got one trailing arm reinforcement pretty much done. Trying to finish the other one today so they can go to powder coat Monday.

Click to view attachment

That's the way to do the fiberglass flares, the whole fender, not just the flare. beerchug.gif

Dave
LeftCoastErik
I got the dash top pulled to have Tri Valley Auto Glass and Upholstery re-cover it in black ultra leather with double stitched silver thread. I made some fillers for the dash vents too, so those will be covered when they do the bottom half.

I got the relay board out of the harness entirely and fixed a bunch of other little wiring issues.

Got the GT reinforcement kit final welded and painted so re-assembly can resume.

Rich Johnson sent me a bunch of packages with some serious awesomeness in them! If you have never dealt with Rich, he is awesome! He even hooked me up with some foglight grilles from his personal collection.

Hoping to have the powder coat stuff back today so I can start on the trailing arm reassembly this weekend
LeftCoastErik
As for color...its either black or maaayyyybeeee......the color on this truck. Its actually a wrap and the color is called chocolate mocha. I like the way the color works with the black accents. I may have to get someone to photoshop a GT with the copper color. Anyone here have those skills?

Also a close up of the Boxter Brakes....
whitetwinturbo
Eric,
How is the WHOLE fiberglass front fender attached?
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(LeftCoastErik @ Jun 5 2015, 09:28 AM) *

As for color...its either black or maaayyyybeeee......the color on this truck. Its actually a wrap and the color is called chocolate mocha. I like the way the color works with the black accents. I may have to get someone to photoshop a GT with the copper color. Anyone here have those skills?

Also a close up of the Boxter Brakes....

Here's a link to "Coppertone" 914:

http://www.dublerfamily.com/914.html

LeftCoastErik
Good question...I haven't gotten that far yet.. I am assuming I will either bond it and mold it in to the cowl or find a way to use small dzus fasteners to attach it at the corners. Thats why I haven't cut off all of the metal yet, I want to leave my options open....
LeftCoastErik
That coppertone is cool! I think the flat clear look might work with the copper color...but I'm pretty sure it will end up shiny black..
howlndog
Regarding colour... have you ever played around with this online tool?

http://eggscollective.org/914visualizer/914_visualizer.html

Click to view attachment
LeftCoastErik
Holy crap!! That is awesome! ! Thanks...I have some playing to do. Your version looks pretty good..hmmm
LeftCoastErik
Holy crap!! That is awesome! ! Thanks...I have some playing to do. Your version looks pretty good..hmmm
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(LeftCoastErik @ Jun 5 2015, 10:08 AM) *

That coppertone is cool! I think the flat clear look might work with the copper color...but I'm pretty sure it will end up shiny black..

Black is the new orange.....
LeftCoastErik
I took a stab at it...
I will be making a custom muffler with similar outlets to the GT one shown, but I am thinking of running the lower valance with the pipes coming through it.

Trim will be blacked out

No jack holes

Bullet style mirrors in Satin Black

Can't decide on the 911 style reflector or not...
craig downs
I love the color on that truck. That would look great on your car.
whitetwinturbo
WOW..........Yes on that color! It will be 1 of 1 and a few others already have black. Looks like the "frozen" BMW treatment.
matthepcat
I say no to 911 reflector, but he'll yes to that muffler.

Make sure to air on the side of quiet and restrictive mufflers...the V8 is a drone machine.
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 5 2015, 05:08 PM) *

I say no to 911 reflector, but he'll yes to that muffler.

Make sure to air on the side of quiet and restrictive mufflers...the V8 is a drone machine.

agree.gif ..........or wear a mouth guard to stop protect your teeth from harmonic drone overload.
LeftCoastErik
I got a lot done this weekend. I also cursed a lot, especially at the previous owner..

"No Significant Rust Issues" from the ad...See for yourself..

In addition to the rusty hole that was patched with fiberglass under the gas tank, the passenger floorboard at the firewall was goneski.

ANDDDD, I determined that the whole front of the car was actually grafted on from another car. Probably in 1984 when the they did the slant nose conversion. I am guessing it was an insurance wreck. Hooray..Oh well, I am too deep now. I am just reinforcing and strengthening everything I can and then I will put on my buddy's frame rack to make sure its straight

Arrgg Anyway, this first series of pics is the wiring completion. I found 4 wires melted together, the headlight switch wired incorrectly, and 3 broken wires that I actually need...
LeftCoastErik
Here are some pics of the "Not-so-significant" rust and where the car was seamed together.
LeftCoastErik
and the fixing..
LeftCoastErik
last pic for now...More to follow after I get the passenger pan fixed up..
whitetwinturbo
Like Pres Bill Clinton said: ....what's you definition of "significant"........?
matthepcat
barf.gif

I guess the next one will be a west coast car.

LeftCoastErik
Hence the #fml914
LeftCoastErik
On a positive note..I just came home to these beauties
matthepcat
Nice! My GPS speed hut gauge took like 3 weeks to ship...but it's nice.

What size gauges are those? 4.5"?
LeftCoastErik
Iirc they are 4" and the tach is 4.5
Andyrew
Those are nice!
LeftCoastErik
The #FML914 continues to live up to its name..I finished the passenger floor/footwell area and also made a bridge patch over the area where the car had been seamed together. Got that in, galvanized, and seam sealed.

Moved on to the rear pan on the passenger side. Had rust/fiberglass repair that I already knew about and had an RD half pan sitting on the shelf..The seat hinge pedestal on that side was hammered as was the area under the cross brace. I opened it up and Ospho'd the hell out of it. Ordering the new hinge and reinforcements from RD now.

Found a bunch of perforation on the driver's side also...I will get to that eventually...
whitetwinturbo
When will the PO "insignificant" rust end?
TargaToy
Looking good, Erik!

Do you like your magnetic ground clamp?
LeftCoastErik
Thanks!. Yeah I swear by it
whitetwinturbo
Erik,
Here's more another shade of "coppertone":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Testarossa...em=181753422810
LeftCoastErik
Looks like the candy brown on my 55 buick kustom. It's for sale if anyone is interested.
whitetwinturbo
Nice paint job!
LeftCoastErik
Thanks! It'd be nice if pics would post correctly from the phone. ..
LeftCoastErik
I had a busy weekend of exciting rust bucket work... I got the rear rust work done and painted up, so I decided to take a brake for a couple of minutes and start assembling some of the pretty bits. First step was installing the new Elephant trailing arm bushing kit and some fresh FAG bearings (I still laugh at "FAG" every time..) into the freshly powder coated arms. Then I hung them with the rear Koni coilovers and 175# progressive springsClick to view attachment
LeftCoastErik
more
LeftCoastErik
I then moved on to the front of the car and discovered some more exciting BS...I suppose that its totally OK to graft on a new (used) front end and then stop welding when you can't see or reach an area, right? I mean, I know its a unibody car, but I am sure some fiberglass resin will be strong enough to maintain integrity, right?

So, yes, I started yelling and throwing myself around for a minute...then I got back to work.
LeftCoastErik
Here's the drivers side...some of the spot welds were still intact...hooray
LeftCoastErik
I got everything seam welded up and then made new patch pieces to actually connect the cowl to the inner fender
LeftCoastErik
I still have some work to do in the exposed corners, but I wanted to wait until I could test fit the fenders and figure out how they are going to fit before I added more material there.
whitetwinturbo
Eric, you are the "welding MAN"! pray.gif

BTW, if you hook phone to your computer and paste to your desktop the software display the desktop icon once open will probably allow you to rotate picture and then 'save' which over-writes the origina....then you can post the picture here. Seems like a hassle but once you do it a few times it becomes routine and easy.

Keep the photos coming!
LeftCoastErik
I am on my second big bottle of gas, and this spool was new when I started on the 72...
LeftCoastErik
I decided to take another welding brake Saturday afternoon and got the front Koni struts, turbo tie-rods and brakes installed up front. Looking at that stuff almost makes all the BS worth it...Almost...
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif
LeftCoastErik
Thanks, I figured that out, but its a pain in the ass since I like to take and post as I go from the phone. I try not to drag my laptop home with me if I can help it...
LeftCoastErik
The past few days have been eventful. Got the fuel system installed, got the fuel tank back in the car. Got the Atomic EFI ECU, Coil, MSD 6a, Return Regulator and throttle body installed. Had to modify the firewall to clear the MSD Male-style cap (hooray).

I ran the feed and return lines through the driver's heater tube, along with the fan control wires and the fuel pump wiring. I actually used a measuring tape as a fish line and it worked pretty awesome.

I am off for a quick vacation with the wife and kid, so next tuesday I will be back at it. I received all the seat pedestals, hinges and reinforcements yesterday, so I want to get the welding finished for GOOD soon.

Brake lines are being made and Rich has the last of the rear brake parts coming this week too.

My Vinyl guy came by and took measurements for the wrap and that is scheduled for July 21
whitetwinturbo
sunglasses.gif Love all the new "jewerly"......have a good vacation!
howlndog
yes, have a good vacation.... but more importantly how long will we have to wait for an update? blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.