Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I was given a Metal Lathe.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Darren C
Nice work Joe.

Glad to hear you still have 10 fingers!
914forme
Very nice, love it when people come up with a good solution to their problems.

"What you need is a good 4 jaw chuck with conventional jaws and a good 3 jaw with conventional and reverse jaw set and you should be able to turn most things."

agree.gif I have purchased three of them, as the previous owner of my lathe broke the jaw teeth over tightening them I presume. I would add to the list a 4 jaw self-centered for precision boring, and a 4 jaw independent for off center boring and turning operations.

Mueller
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 30 2016, 06:44 AM) *

Very nice, love it when people come up with a good solution to their problems.

"What you need is a good 4 jaw chuck with conventional jaws and a good 3 jaw with conventional and reverse jaw set and you should be able to turn most things."

agree.gif I have purchased three of them, as the previous owner of my lathe broke the jaw teeth over tightening them I presume. I would add to the list a 4 jaw self-centered for precision boring, and a 4 jaw independent for off center boring and turning operations.

6 jaw are nice if you do any tubing, invest in some soft jaws that you can machine/modify.

Not sure if i mentioned it, but never be tempted to mount a chuck into another chuck!
Series9
The Aloris tool post has made a big difference in the quality of stuff I'm able to pull off. It's so much more rigid that it's making me look better than I am.

smile.gif
Mueller
I missed having a lathe and don't have the space for a new one, so I comprimised and got this, still need to buy a servo motor and drive for it. It mounts on the table of my CNC mill.

It will go up to 3000rpm, will do indexing (bolt pattern or flats for a hex or timing marks in a flywheel with assistance of a disc brake that is built in) , it will also allow me to machine items like small model camshafts and crankshafts.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.