Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RABY and Value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
steuspeed
Karmann badge in the door jamb. Go check.

When I fill up at the gas station with regular and the the attendant looks at me funny, I point to the sticker on the tank and say,"It's just a VW."
Chris H.
The 914 was a very well documented joint venture between VW and Porsche. The 911 definitely was not. The two companies were completely separate, They formed a company in the late 60's specifically to sell the 914 together. Dr Porsche designed the VW Beetle and the air cooled engine we all know and love in the 1930's it but never owned the company or was a part of VW at all after WW2.

The teener is what it is. A VW/Porsche hybrid. The engine is covered in VW stamps as are many of the other components on the car. We like it that way. Not pretentious, just fun to drive. Snooty and uppity would be the small percentage "real Porsche" owners in the 1980's and 1990's who turned their noses up at the 914 and refused to acknowledge it as having ANY Porsche lineage at all. Not that we cared.

Start with the first part of the 914 wiki page. You'll understand it better.

BTW pretty sure Andy lived in Germany when the 914 VW-P was being sold...the hubcaps even had VW's on them instead of blanks!
Gunn1
Thanks All for straightening me out.

I am anything but pretentious, so buying a 914 to restore was the right decision in my case.

No regrets
r_towle
You started with four, that is the correct approach.
Chris H.
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 18 2016, 10:27 PM) *

Thanks All for straightening me out.

I am anything but pretentious, so buying a 914 to restore was the right decision in my case.

No regrets

There you go! They're a lot of fun to drive and enjoy. That's what it's all about.
thelogo
QUOTE(steuspeed @ May 18 2016, 08:16 PM) *

Karmann badge in the door jamb. Go check.

When I fill up at the gas station with regular and the the attendant looks at me funny, I point to the sticker on the tank and say,"It's just a VW."

Gas station attendent what planet are you from
At gas stations down here ,99% of these guys
Speak no English. sheeplove.gif
r_towle
In New Jersey they are required to pump gas for you...and it's cheaper than both Deleware and NY.....

I always wait for NJ to get my fuel when I head south..
And they speak perfect jersenglish.
cgnj
Hi,
Back in the stone age, I was begging Jake to take my money and build my 2270 motor. In 8 weeks he never reposnded to me. At that time it cost 8k-10K for his 2270 build. i built my own, He never responded to me at all. I'm not begging anyone to take my money at your price ever. Jake can hammer me here all he wants. I will post the emails.

Ask the right questions, build your own. Jake, better have your emails from 1999, cause I do.

Flame suit on.

Carlos
era vulgaris
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 18 2016, 10:40 PM) *

But and its a huge Butt, Didn't VW come first. And wasn't Porsche a derivative of Volkswagen manufacturing? If these statements are true don't you think it's a little snooty and uppity to forget Porsches roots? The engines and tranny's are definitely not in any bugs that are stock, especially the 2.0 liter I don't believe any of the coach work on the Porsches have a badge saying "Karmann" the disclaimer on the top of 914world home and forum pages says the words Porsche and the crest are trademarks of Dr Porsche. I just don't agree 914's are just as much a Porsche as 911's are they come from the same liniage. And that is VW

You need to do you some learning. Porsche was founded in 1931, VW in 1937. Porsche operated solely as a design firm for the first couple decades of its existence. They designed everything from tractors to tanks to hydroelectric generators to engines for other car makers to complete cars for other car makers. Porsche designed the Beetle and it's engine. The first car Porsche designed and built on their own, the 60K10 was produced the same year the Beetle was first manufactured, 1938. Granted there were only 3 60k10's made, but whatever. Porsche continued working as a design firm until Ferry Porsche decided to begin designing a car of his own in the mid 1940's, which became the 356.
r_towle
I seem to recall that when WW2 ended, the allies were looking for anything to get the economy going again, and th beetle was all set to go, all tested and ready to build.

Porsche put his name in the ring to run the company but due to his lack of experience in large automated manufacturing the allies chose someone else to run VW and Porsches designs, property of the government, were used to build the beetle.

Porsche was not pleased and went out to build his own car, but he went back to the designs he really liked and the 356 was born...

But, the 914 is a NARP...and so is the 924/944 line...just saying.

Rich
boxsterfan
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2016, 07:28 PM) *

Say it like Boston.

Naahhhhp

#NARPStrong
era vulgaris
I thought Ferdinand was in jail in France for war crimes at the end of WWII, leaving Ferry in charge, who came up with the idea for the 356. Technically the 60k10 was also a Narp as it used the same engine Porsche designed for the Beetle, but dual carbed, iirc.
thelogo
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2016, 08:50 PM) *

I seem to recall that when WW2 ended, the allies were looking for anything to get the economy going again, and th beetle was all set to go, all tested and ready to build.

Porsche put his name in the ring to run the company but due to his lack of experience in large automated manufacturing the allies chose someone else to run VW and Porsches designs, property of the government, were used to build the beetle.

Porsche was not pleased and went out to build his own car, but he went back to the designs he really liked and the 356 was born...

Rich

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2016, 08:50 PM) *

Rich

Awesome stuff guys

So your saying the evil 911 is the demon child spawn of
The 356?

Please do inform me

And

Wasnt lamborgini a guy who couldn't stand his ferrari breaking down so he made his own super car

Guys like this are something else

And to the post2 above , can you tell me what war machines this as you say

Porsche design firm. Is responsible for , tanks right but i also heard v2 ,v1 rocket ?

Awesome stuff guys

914_teener
To the OP.

Raby knows his stuff to answer your inquiry.

You have to pay sometimes to play, or learn how to do it yourself.

That is what part of this forum and community is about. History is history.

Drive what you got or intend to get and have fun doing it.

The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is:

Attitude.

Good luck.
thelogo
At 25 k

Its only 5k more

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-997-2008...N8AAOSwv9hW4dqp

And if you must stick to a cheap sob
20k budget

This might work

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Complete-Aud...h4AAOSw6oBXEvTQ

poorsche914
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 17 2016, 07:47 PM) *
... Does anyone out there on the "World" have first hand knowledge or experience with a RABY engine? Is the higher than normal acquisition cost worth the performance, reliability and drivability characteristics claimed by the Manufacturer ...

I have a Raby 2056 (the last one he built for a customer) that I installed in my 914 back in March. Drive it every day and love it wub.gif
Still needs fine tuning for my altitude and driving style. Dual 44s are thirsty blink.gif

driving.gif

JamesM
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2016, 07:50 PM) *

Rich

So does my Vanagon use Porsche parts or are my Porsches using Vanagon parts? I have found a few pieces on my Vanagon that were also used on Porsche models that pre-date it.
EdwardBlume
The 924 was an Audi. poke.gif
falcor75
and the Shelby Cobra is just an AC Ace.....

icon_bump.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 19 2016, 12:55 AM) *

Sad when you think it takes almost that much to rebuild a run of the mill 911 engine. Even more if you want non-stock.
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2016, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 18 2016, 07:35 PM) *
In Germany what do people call them?

VoPo = Volks Porsche
biggrin.gif

I like that. Peoples Porsche, right? Kind of says it all. smile.gif Great thread, BTW! The only bit I can contribute is, and if IIRC, Porsche still offers deign services. Harley employed their services when designing their updated engine. Was it the revolution or evolution? I forget the model name. sad.gif
Gunn1
I think I'm going back to the Sachs Wankel idea
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Wonder if RABY has built any of these beauties?

LOL
dcheek
If it makes you feel any better, if Singer started to do his magic to 914's the motor alone would cost $120,000. So consider $20K a bargain.

By the way, I saw my first Singer 911 at Hershey. He's the best there is and you pay for it. Talked to the owner - $450,000 is entry level and you have to supply the car!!!
There's a long line to get in.

Conclusion? Those that can afford it - God Bless them. Getting back to the owner, we saw his car parked at a biker bar on the way home. Obviously he has F.Y. money and uses his car. I have to admire that. Correction - I envy that.

Dave

eeyore
If you have a pristine example of a car, are an absolute purist and don't suffer from 'the grass is always greener...' syndrome, and can afford it. Then do it.
GulleyGulley
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2016, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(GulleyGulley @ May 18 2016, 10:09 AM) *

I had a 1915 Type 1 from Jake in a Beck speedster. And currently have a 2316 Type IV in my Vintage 550. No complaints on either motor. The 550 with the 2316 motor is by far the fastest car I've ever owned. Including several 911 (new & old), 914-6 with a 3.2, cobra, etc. The Type IV motor just puts out a ton of torque and is lighter and cheaper (even at 20K) than putting a big six in a 914. Either motor may cost 20K, but putting a six into a 4 car requires a lot of extras that cost big $$$. Not to mention time and fabrication.

Interesting post.
How much does your 550 weigh?

After having built more than a few type 4 motors, 20k is just crazy.
It's super inflated .

The 550 weighs just about 1,100. Motor puts out around 185hp (160+ at the wheels). It's scary fun. The suspension on the Vintage cars makes it very stable at speed. Sold my 914-6 once this was done. The receipt I have for the engine shows a build cost of 9K (2004?). I picked up the unbuilt kit and engine from a guy that lost interest in the project. Jake told me to he doesn't build this anymore but if he did it would be around 20K.
nathansnathan
It's always seemed to me that people buying a Raby motor would be setting themselves up for some disappointment. To think you'd get all this performance and reliability from just a long block.

To get the potential from it involves not just the motor but also fuel delivery, the exhaust, and the tuning. The engine may be built with the best components, made to last, balanced internally, but if you're running like baby webers and a 009 I don't think it's going to be a screamer. There's so much to be gained from tuning, and it's so rare to see peoples 914's and buses really purr... Just properly synching carbs, not running too rich, running enough advance, there is a lot of performance to be gleaned from a stock long block.

These are my thoughts when I see people running a single progressive carb saying they'd never pay that much for a motor. ...well yeah, would be pointless with that stuff bolted to it.
eric9144
To OP's original question...
If I had a really nice 914, lets say in the $15-20k range "as is" with a stock 2.0L, would you ever see the value back out of adding a Raby motor @ $20k blink.gif

$35-40k for a 4 cyl car...good luck smoke.gif

And don't get me wrong, I'm an advocate, but you'll never see the investment come back via sale...
mbseto
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2016, 10:53 PM) *

If you keep wine an cheese in your glove box and premium fuel in your tank
Its a porsche ah'
If you keep a pint of Newcastle and a 1/8 of medical Cannibus in your glove box and reg unleaded
In your tank , then its a beer3.gif narp

How bout a mare's leg taped under the gas tank?
mbseto
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 19 2016, 12:38 AM) *

Wasnt lamborgini a guy who couldn't stand his ferrari breaking down so he made his own super car

Lamborghini got tired of Ferrari looking down on him for being a tractor maker, and decided to beat him at his own game. More snobbery.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ May 19 2016, 09:41 AM) *

It's always seemed to me that people buying a Raby motor would be setting themselves up for some disappointment. To think you'd get all this performance and reliability from just a long block.

To get the potential from it involves not just the motor but also fuel delivery, the exhaust, and the tuning. The engine may be built with the best components, made to last, balanced internally, but if you're running like baby webers and a 009 I don't think it's going to be a screamer. There's so much to be gained from tuning, and it's so rare to see peoples 914's and buses really purr... Just properly synching carbs, not running too rich, running enough advance, there is a lot of performance to be gleaned from a stock long block.

These are my thoughts when I see people running a single progressive carb saying they'd never pay that much for a motor. ...well yeah, would be pointless with that stuff bolted to it.

I think Jake's engines come complete.
Gunn1
Is it any wonder why Jerry Seinfeld sold his Porsches off?

They are even getting to expensive for him.

Geez
jor
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 19 2016, 08:40 AM) *

To OP's original question...
If I had a really nice 914, lets say in the $15-20k range "as is" with a stock 2.0L, would you ever see the value back out of adding a Raby motor @ $20k blink.gif

$35-40k for a 4 cyl car...good luck smoke.gif

And don't get me wrong, I'm an advocate, but you'll never see the investment come back via sale...

I always liked Henry Royce's quote: "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten." I don't know whether this applies to Raby engines -- having never even seen one -- but it's a nice quip to toss out every now and then when justifying spending so much time and money on a 4-cylinder 914.
walterolin
Die Volks Porsche!

My daughter-in-law's mother is a German war bride - Vietnam war - from Lanzingen, Deutschland. DiL's father was an armor officer stationed there in 1968 - he claims they were running a convoy through Lanzingen and this cute blonde climbed onto his tank and came home with him (she disputes that story).

Two years ago, DiL and mother returned to Lanzingen for a family visit with some pictures of my 914 then up on blocks, and showed them to her uncle, who recognized it immediately and said: "Oh! Die Volks Porsche!"

Unrelated to any of this, my daughter is married to a Bosch - South African Bosch.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 19 2016, 12:26 PM) *

agree.gif

Read the first sentence on the pricing page on his website. Each engine is turn key, tuned, and dyno tested. I know he only uses Mallory Unilite dizzys, or at least used to before they were discontinued. As anal as Jake is, I don't think he would EVER let one of his creations out into the world as a stripped down long block for some putz to put baby webers on it.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.php/pricing
SixerJ
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 19 2016, 04:50 AM) *

Rich

Little known fact that it was Brit with a moustache we have to thank for getting VW production going......

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp...h+and+their.pdf

nathansnathan
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 19 2016, 09:26 AM) *

It used to be better documented what you got with the motor, along with a pic and it looked like a long block. I don't recall it ever seeing the carbs listed.. I see on the site it says it comes with everything but exhaust. I would like to know, not that I'm gonna sign up, but that would help justify the cost to have intake manifolds (csp?), linkage, air filter setup. I do think he has the tin blasted and powder coated with that price which is a significant service.

Let me make a rough list of things. Some maybe high, assuming that the good stuff is being used I could spend this much, or like a padded price to rflect expertise in performing whatever/ being a one stop shop. Other things maybe I'm way off on, just speculating here.

1500 new heads
700 rework heads
300 p&c, maybe rings separate
1000 Align bore case, bearings, rebush conn rods, weld thrust etc
200 type 1 oil pump and cover, modified, peened, blueprinted(?)
350 cam and lifters
1200 carb setup with intake manifolds, air filters and linkage
1000 tin blast and powder coat
500 replace stuff that's missing/broken/worn out (thermostat, messed up tin, various hard-to-find seals brackets etc)
500 fuel pump, regulator, hose, gaskets
500 setup valve geometry, custom length pushrods
500 dyno tune
500 edit clutch package I forgot

I come up with 8750. I can see how that could be like padded to 10k. 20k, I don't know.
Mueller

just speculating here.

1500 new heads
700 rework heads
350 cam and lifters
500 replace stuff that's missing/broken/worn out (thermostat, messed up tin, various hard-to-find seals brackets etc)
500 dyno tune

I come up with 8750. I can see how that could be like padded to 10k. 20k, I don't know.

Add another 2000 for a pair of brand new heads (I don't he deals with old type IV heads anymore, new or nothing)

Add another $3000 for Nickies, you are smoking something if you think he is going to use $300 Chinese p/c's smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ May 19 2016, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 19 2016, 09:26 AM) *

It used to be better documented what you got with the motor, along with a pic and it looked like a long block. I don't recall it ever seeing the carbs listed.. I see on the site it says it comes with everything but exhaust. I would like to know, not that I'm gonna sign up, but that would help justify the cost to have intake manifolds (csp?), linkage, air filter setup. I do think he has the tin blasted and powder coated with that price which is a significant service.

Let me make a rough list of things. Some maybe high, assuming that the good stuff is being used I could spend this much, or like a padded price to rflect expertise in performing whatever/ being a one stop shop. Other things maybe I'm way off on, just speculating here.

1500 new heads
700 rework heads
350 cam and lifters
500 dyno tune

Most of that is high...
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 19 2016, 02:01 PM) *

just speculating here.

1500 new heads
700 rework heads
350 cam and lifters
500 dyno tune

Add another 2000 for a pair of brand new heads (I don't he deals with old type IV heads anymore, new or nothing)

Add another $3000 for Nickies, you are smoking something if you think he is going to use $300 Chinese p/c's smile.gif

Yeah I think either nickies or je pistons depending on the build. Also another 350-500 maybe for ignition - the distributor, plugs, wires. Also 911 swivel foot adjusters are like 200 a set these days.
PotterPorsche
96mm Je Pistons with honed out 94mm original cylinders about $800
carr914
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 19 2016, 01:55 PM) *

Geez

He only sold a small percentage of his Porsche Collection
carr914
[quote name='OU812' date='May 18 2016, 09:51 PM' post='2346864']
[quote name='r_towle' post='2346860' date='May 18 2016, 08:30 PM']
[quote name='OU812' post='2346823' date='May 18 2016, 08:45 PM']
[quote name='Reverend Troublemaker' post='2346459' date='May 18 2016, 07:02 AM']

But wasn't vw first.... before the Porsche?

Porsche was born out of VW, so couldn't it be said all Porsches are actually descended from VW's?
[/quote]

Dr Porsche created VW, so they all start with his DNA
Gunn1
started tearing into the engine from the green car today after work.

Busy looking for tell tail signs of a RABY original

Click to view attachment

All I found was acorns
Gunn1
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 19 2016, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 19 2016, 01:55 PM) *

Geez

He only sold a small percentage of his Porsche Collection

Mr Seinfeld is probably a Singer man.
Gunn1
Why through all this back and forth regarding his work doesn't Jake/RABY weigh in on some of the info regarding his work?

Is he Mortal or some mythical being?

mepstein
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 20 2016, 08:06 AM) *

Why through all this back and forth regarding his work doesn't Jake/RABY weigh in on some of the info regarding his work?

If you have a question about his engine why don't you contact him directly?
Mueller
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 20 2016, 05:06 AM) *

He spent a lot of time and money to develop proven combinations to improve the motor in all aspects.

There are other places to buy some parts only from or places that build motors but Raby builds and dynos the motors for peak performance.

Nice guy, great self promoter so you see his products/ideas more than other engine builders.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 20 2016, 07:22 AM) *

Nice guy, great self promoter so you see his products/ideas more than other engine builders.

With special emphasis on the "self promoter" part. Other people use the same or similar products/ideas/methods, but he's the one you'll hear proclaiming loudly. The T4 market is hugely diminished, but he won't let this pass. Sit back, it's coming, I guarantee it, and if you don't take it seriously it's fun to watch.

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 20 2016, 05:06 AM) *

Guys, I have a few comments.
- Your paying Jake for his time and expertise
- Like the old saying, if you have to ask....majority of the time ,you don't have the disposal funds for it.....try walking in to a Porsche dealer and ask them to sell you a new GT4 for say 45k..see how long the sales folks will laugh.

All the above applies to any products you buy.
Oh, I'm sure Jake reads this tread and is laughing all the way to the bank. Which I don't blame him.
Chris H.
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 20 2016, 07:06 AM) *

He's a real guy. Comes here all the time. He's always been very nice to me. Yes he has very strong opinions about the Type 4 and how to build it. If you don't agree, you might get into a spirited debate. That's cool. I have never built an air cooled engine so I can't join the debate at all. I like Paul too. He's had a different experience. I can respect that. No need to stoke the fire on this one. Jake builds one hell of an engine. I'd love to have one but I'm currently slated to spend 2 turn key RAT's worth of $$$ on tuition for the next 4 years blink.gif .

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.