Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RABY and Value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Gunn1
Just completed reading a lot of information regarding RABY engines.

All of the information points from the Mild to Wild they produce a Quality and Bulletproof product.

Does anyone out there on the "World" have first hand knowledge or experience with a RABY engine? Is the higher than normal acquisition cost worth the performance, reliability and drivability characteristics claimed by the Manufacturer.

Also seems to be a quite lengthy wait time associated between the ordering of an engine and its delivery.

Any information would be great

Thank you pray.gif
wndsnd
popcorn[1].gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 17 2016, 04:53 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Ha ha ha.

Gunn1
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 17 2016, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 17 2016, 04:53 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Ha ha ha.

WTF.gif
EdwardBlume
I see benefits in a Raby motor if that suits you over the other options out there. the higher HP a type IV you go, the more you better know about building them, and Jake seems to know a lot.
SirAndy
I thought he wasn't building 914 engines anymore?
confused24.gif
mepstein
He is still building engines but from what he stated on world his new entry price is $20k so it's a moot point for most 914 owners.

Best to contact Jake and get real 1st hand info if your interested in one of his engines.
Gunn1
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2016, 07:23 PM) *

He is still building engines but from what he stated on world his new entry price is $20k so it's a moot point for most 914 owners.

Best to contact Jake and get real 1st hand info if your interested in one of his engines.

20K ? huh.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 17 2016, 05:27 PM) *

20K ? huh.gif

You have a doubt? Then you have just demonstrated that you are not worthy.

Seriously, Jake is the Donald Drumpf of our little World. He is the best, and if you have any doubt just ask him, he'll tell you. And if ANYONE dares to throw a shadow on that he'll check in, correct them and everyone else. Bottom line by all accounts a very good engine builder, by his own estimation the best with no one in second place. You asked about value? Good question... compared to what?

JmuRiz
If you're looking at a used 914 with a Raby engine, contact him and find out if it's an engine he built, an engine kit, or not his at all. He may give you full specs etc.

He does/did some cool engines, but mostly euro guys could afford them (not us cheap SOB 914 guys biggrin.gif )
Gunn1
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 17 2016, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 17 2016, 05:27 PM) *

20K ? huh.gif

You have a doubt? Then you have just demonstrated that you are not worthy.

Seriously, Jake is the Donald Drumpf of our little World. He is the best, and if you have any doubt just ask him, he'll tell you. And if ANYONE dares to throw a shadow on that he'll check in, correct them and everyone else. Bottom line by all accounts a very good engine builder, by his own estimation the best with no one in second place. You asked about value? Good question... compared to what?

Judging by the write ups and info, I have no Doubt.

However at 20K I could do Many things to the car and have some $'s left over, and probably no one would notice other than me and Mr. RABY.

I could probably spring for 5,000 to 8,000 for a nicely put together reliable high output engine but 20K?

I mean you can only collect so many speeding tickets, and if I spent 20K I wouldn't be able to pay any of them.....
era vulgaris
If $5-$8k is your budget for an engine, contact McMark at Original Customs. He built the 2270 that's in my car. I have no complaints.
boxsterfan
I plan on sending my motor from Cali to Original Customers in Michigan for a 2270 build.
mepstein
Like I said, I'm not here to speak for jake, that's just what I remember him writing in one of his posts. His old price for an engine build used to start in the low teens.
Cracker
You are correct...5k per cylinder! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

T

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2016, 08:10 PM) *

Like I said, I'm not here to speak for jake, that's just what I remember him writing in one of his posts. His old price for an engine build used to start in the low teens.
Bulldog9
welcome.png
wndsrfr
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 17 2016, 03:47 PM) *

Does anyone out there on the "World" have first hand knowledge or experience with a RABY engine? Is the higher than normal acquisition cost worth the performance, reliability and drivability characteristics claimed by the Manufacturer.

I can speak to performance of my 2316 Raby kit /4 engine relative to my 2.7L RS spec /6. At Summit Point race track full course I'm lapping at 1:34, 1:35 in the /4 and 1:31 in the /6. However, the /4 weighs 2400 pounds since it's in full street trim with softer suspension whereas the /6 is at 2000 pounds as it's stripped out and has stiff suspension & much bigger brakes. So, basically equal.

Here's dyno sheets for both, the /4 was a tuning run for the SDS injection map. I'm sure that one of Jake's current builds has a better profile. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

As for driving experience, here's the Raby /4 at VIR early in my DE progression, still in blue group, but it'll give you a sense of the sound & speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tEALVfzHM

And later on here's the /6 at Watkins Glen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VfSA3_iEXg

Yeah, it's apples & oranges....but both GREAT!
flmont
yea but who would spend 5 k per cylinder,..when you could do a 3.0 Ltr and double those numbers,..for less,...I for 1 just cant see that much $$$ for a 4 cyl,...but yea,..Sounds GREAT...
mepstein
When you go to a car show, every one has their own idea of the perfect car. Different strokes for different folkes.

Don't just think 914 - his engines are a better fit into a 356 than a 6 cylinder engine.
Bulldog9
No arguing with raby success, but $$ is beyond the pale for mere mortals... Jake was going to charge me $100 for a set of under CYL tins. Bought them at Hershey for $10..... Your question is a non-sequitur and all relative to how much your willing to pay.

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ May 17 2016, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 17 2016, 03:47 PM) *

I can speak to performance of my 2316 Raby kit /4 engine relative to my 2.7L RS spec /6. At Summit Point race track full course I'm lapping at 1:34, 1:35 in the /4 and 1:31 in the /6. However, the /4 weighs 2400 pounds since it's in full street trim with softer suspension whereas the /6 is at 2000 pounds as it's stripped out and has stiff suspension & much bigger brakes. So, basically equal.

Here's dyno sheets for both, the /4 was a tuning run for the SDS injection map. I'm sure that one of Jake's current builds has a better profile. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

As for driving experience, here's the Raby /4 at VIR early in my DE progression, still in blue group, but it'll give you a sense of the sound & speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tEALVfzHM

And later on here's the /6 at Watkins Glen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VfSA3_iEXg

Yeah, it's apples & oranges....but both GREAT!

I remember back in the 60 / 70s. My friends would go to the drags with 396 / 427 vs 350. .
Over the years, guess where Porsche went..cubic inches/ CC.
Both are good, but if I had to shell out 20 +k ...Its going to be cubic inches/ cc......you can see it in the YouTube videos above. ..thanks to wndsuf for the videos...I see you were having fun smile.gif
Chris914n6
There is a build thread where someone had a shop in Socal build a t4 with great numbers, for much less.
Do a search for the various displacements.
thelogo
If you have to ask how much then its not for you agree.gif

See girls in yoga pants thread for more clarity biggrin.gif biggrin.gif bootyshake.gif

If your spending 20k on an engine then i would imagine you should have some other car
Then a narp 914 KMA.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 17 2016, 11:08 PM) *

See girls in yoga pants thread for more clarity biggrin.gif biggrin.gif bootyshake.gif

If your spending 20k on an engine then i would imagine you should have some other car
Then a narp 914 KMA.gif

NARP ?
Cracker
914 = Not - A - Real - Porsche

John - Thank you for posting videos - the 4 does really well given its size. Very nice!

T

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 18 2016, 04:45 AM) *

Then a narp 914 KMA.gif

NARP ?
worn
QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 17 2016, 03:53 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif beer3.gif popcorn[1].gif
GulleyGulley
I had a 1915 Type 1 from Jake in a Beck speedster. And currently have a 2316 Type IV in my Vintage 550. No complaints on either motor. The 550 with the 2316 motor is by far the fastest car I've ever owned. Including several 911 (new & old), 914-6 with a 3.2, cobra, etc. The Type IV motor just puts out a ton of torque and is lighter and cheaper (even at 20K) than putting a big six in a 914. Either motor may cost 20K, but putting a six into a 4 car requires a lot of extras that cost big $$$. Not to mention time and fabrication.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ May 18 2016, 07:02 AM) *

John - Thank you for posting videos - the 4 does really well given its size. Very nice!

T

Then a narp 914 KMA.gif

NARP ?

I have four 914's.....your telling me they aren't real Porsche's?

They Say Porsche all over them.

When ordering parts for them, the factory parts say "original PORSCHE parts"

Then Manuals used to repair them say Porsche.

DBCooper
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 18 2016, 05:45 PM) *

Calm down.... deep breaths.... that's a JOKE. The 914 was always looked down on by owners of it's big brother 911 as something less than a "real" Porsche, with those VW engines in front of the rear axles and all. The 914 community took that on as a badge of pride, Not A Real Porsche, NARP, to rub it in. Especially when we beat them in any kind of competition.

Now on the other hand, you with four 914's? Four? Really? At what point do you admit you have a problem?

Gunn1
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 18 2016, 08:04 PM) *

Calm down.... deep breaths.... that's a JOKE. The 914 was always looked down on by owners of it's big brother 911 as something less than a "real" Porsche, with those VW engines in front of the rear axles and all. The 914 community took that on as a badge of pride, Not A Real Porsche, NARP, to rub it in. Especially when we beat them in any kind of competition.

Now on the other hand, you with four 914's? Four? Really? At what point do you admit you have a problem?

When I go.....I go all in.

And I admit I do have a problem, and the "World" isn't helping. Ha
r_towle
QUOTE(GulleyGulley @ May 18 2016, 10:09 AM) *

I had a 1915 Type 1 from Jake in a Beck speedster. And currently have a 2316 Type IV in my Vintage 550. No complaints on either motor. The 550 with the 2316 motor is by far the fastest car I've ever owned. Including several 911 (new & old), 914-6 with a 3.2, cobra, etc. The Type IV motor just puts out a ton of torque and is lighter and cheaper (even at 20K) than putting a big six in a 914. Either motor may cost 20K, but putting a six into a 4 car requires a lot of extras that cost big $$$. Not to mention time and fabrication.

Interesting post.
How much does your 550 weigh?

After having built more than a few type 4 motors, 20k is just crazy.
It's super inflated .
r_towle
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 18 2016, 08:45 PM) *

T

Then a narp 914 KMA.gif

NARP ?

Go to a Porsche show and you may still hear the talk behind your back that it's not a real Porsche, it's a vw.
JoeD
Jake is currently building my 1.7 into a 2270. I wanted to stay true to the air cooled Type 4, and I wanted the absolute best there is. I happen to live an hour away from his shop, my kid and I have been out to see him several times, and he and his folks have been fantastic to work with.

Yes, the engine is costing me more than what I paid for the car. I've also put a lot into it myself in addition to the work Jake is doing with the motor- blood, sweat, and tears, and quite a few more $$$s. I am sure that I could have done many different things with the money and I know the car will have cost me a multiple of what it's probably worth on the market, but it's going to scream, and I love it.

To each his own- this is what I wanted, I can't wait to have it back on the road soon with that Raby motor behind me, and I intend to drive the hell out of it for years to come.
Gunn1
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2016, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 18 2016, 08:45 PM) *

T

Then a narp 914 KMA.gif

NARP ?

Go to a Porsche show and you may still hear the talk behind your back that it's not a real Porsche, it's a vw.

But wasn't vw first.... before the Porsche?

Porsche was born out of VW, so couldn't it be said all Porsches are actually descended from VW's?
r_towle
It's a narp, get used to it and wear it proudly
Gunn1
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2016, 09:00 PM) *

It's a narp, get used to it and wear it proudly

10-4
SirAndy

Actually, yes. They're NOT Porsche.
And since you have 4 of them, you should really know their history better.

The 914 was a joint venture between Volkswagen and Porsche and those two actually started an independent 3rd company just to make and sell the 914.
The company was called "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft".

The only reason why 914s say PORSCHE on them on the USA is because of marketing (!) since US dealers were concerned that the car wouldn't sell if it was affiliated with VW.

Anywhere else in the world, they didn't have the Porsche badge.
shades.gif
Bulldog9
OU812 Even if you add all 4 together(really? do they all run? where are your pics?) the 914 is not a Full Porsche... even if you go all in. poke.gif Call it REAL or FULL, its a NARP to some. Was intended/developed as a VW, even has VW logos all over it, especially the motor. This is also true of my 912E, it has a VW derived motor (same as a 76 914 2.0 but with a different FI system). NARP... And SO WHAT...... Oh, and for a little more perspective, most Porsche's have parts and labels with that funny 4 interlinked set of O's..... Does that make them Audi's? or NARP?

I've bumped into a few of those 'real porsche' dudes. Same as the Harley Crowd, or other snobbery. Buncha douches who deserve the Monty Python treatment.

Own what you want, make it what you want LOVE it drive it ride it. Enthusiasts are a wide brotherhood and one of the things I really appreciate against 914 World is the enthusiast heart, camaraderie and general support and mutual admiration among its members.
r_towle
Say it like Boston.

Naahhhhp
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2016, 07:15 PM) *

The 914 was a joint venture between Volkswagen and Porsche and those two actually started an independent 3rd company just to make and sell the 914.

The only reason why 914s say PORSCHE on them on the USA is because of marketing (!) since US dealers were concerned that the car wouldn't sell if it was affiliated with VW.

shades.gif

Question, So we call them Porsche here in the US. In Germany what do people call them? VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft is too long. FWIW, I owned 2 MB's before a German vacationer told me they weren't called MB's in Germany but rather Daimler Benz. confused24.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2016, 09:15 PM) *

shades.gif

But and its a huge Butt, Didn't VW come first. And wasn't Porsche a derivative of Volkswagen manufacturing? If these statements are true don't you think it's a little snooty and uppity to forget Porsches roots? The engines and tranny's are definitely not in any bugs that are stock, especially the 2.0 liter I don't believe any of the coach work on the Porsches have a badge saying "Karmann" the disclaimer on the top of 914world home and forum pages says the words Porsche and the crest are trademarks of Dr Porsche. I just don't agree 914's are just as much a Porsche as 911's are they come from the same liniage. And that is VW
r_towle
Too much wrong to dig into that post.

Just own it....it's a great badge of honor being a NARP.

Or, get the big ass vw book and read.
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 18 2016, 07:35 PM) *
In Germany what do people call them?

VoPo = Volks Porsche
biggrin.gif
thelogo
If you keep wine an cheese in your glove box and premium fuel in your tank

Its a porsche ah'

If you keep a pint of Newcastle and a 1/8 of medical Cannibus in your glove box and reg unleaded
In your tank , then its a beer3.gif narp
Gunn1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2016, 09:51 PM) *

In Germany what do people call them?

VoPo = Volks Porsche
biggrin.gif

Say it ain't so!

Not you too Sir Andi....
SirAndy
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 18 2016, 07:40 PM) *
But and its a huge Butt, Didn't VW come first. And wasn't Porsche a derivative of Volkswagen manufacturing? If these statements are true don't you think it's a little snooty and uppity to forget Porsches roots? The engines and tranny's are definitely not in any bugs that are stock, especially the 2.0 liter I don't believe any of the coach work on the Porsches have a badge saying "Karmann" the disclaimer on the top of 914world home and forum pages says the words Porsche and the crest are trademarks of Dr Porsche. I just don't agree 914's are just as much a Porsche as 911's are they come from the same liniage. And that is VW

None of that matters. And to make you even more confused, Ferry Porsche designed the VW Beetle.
Karmann build the chassis for many, many, many different brand cars, including VW and Porsche and in case of the 914-4, they were also completely assembeled by Karmann.

Again, none of this matters. The 914 was sold by the "VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft" which was its own independent company.

Know thy history!
shades.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2016, 09:53 PM) *

If you keep wine an cheese in your glove box and premium fuel in your tank

Its a porsche ah'

If you keep a pint of Newcastle and a 1/8 of medical Cannibus in your glove box and reg unleaded
In your tank , then its a beer3.gif narp

Now I like that!

Perception is everything

Sort of like choosing frenches or grey poupon.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 18 2016, 07:40 PM) *
the disclaimer on the top of 914world home and forum pages says the words Porsche and the crest are trademarks of Dr Porsche.

That's because Porsche is suing everyone and their grandmother trying to squeeze the last penny out of them.

They now own the "Common Law Trademark" to the number 914 and they have been sending us ugly letters, thus the verbiage you see on the homepage.

That has NOTHING to do with the 914 history. That's 21st century lawyers trying to buy their next yacht.
dry.gif
PotterPorsche
If you have the money go raby, I have 3 other cars with larger than stock engines. I enjoy building each one. For the 2270 type 4 I will be using the same vendors I use for vw. Will I miss out hp? Maybe maybe not. I'm completely okay with 145-160hp . If I was trying for 180-220 I would probably add my own ls1 at 14-18k.

Maybe as I get older I won't want to wrench in that case maybe a pre built engine is the way to go.
SirAndy
I owned 2 MB's before a German vacationer told me they weren't called MB's in Germany but rather Daimler Benz. confused24.gif

Actually, you can use all of those below:

Merzedes, Daimler, Benz, Daimler Benz

but the real factory name is "Daimler-Benz AG"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler-Benz

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.