914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
EdwardBlume
Whomever organizes it chooses.

Simple huh?
rhodyguy
Very.
Mikey914
I don't think the event should be split, and I'll wind up going either way. I do plan to host a drive in movie night later this summer in Newberg.

We can always have little sub events, I'm all for that, but one that brings us all together should be the WCR!

So other than Panel Billy, Has anyone else actually stepped up to want to organize 2017? In 4 months guys will be wanting to know when and where. If we have enough time we can put together fun things into the drives. Like the VW camper meet we visited with in Mopin, for the one I did.
76-914
agree.gif There will be some that are just too far away for us to attend but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm fine with a rotation if it means not splitting/diluting the event. beerchug.gif
EDIT: For the record; I've already committed to help John with Rt66 2017 or I would volunteer my assistance with a SoCal WCR. On the other hand, I'm sure I could block out a few hours if needed.
relentless
I vote for Southern Oregon! It's not too expensive, it's centrally located, it has a nice track, it has lots of great touring routes. And I bet we can get Jamie to organize it!

What do you say, wasn't this year great? The weather here is in the 90's now. The only rain was during the WCR! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(relentless @ Jun 3 2016, 11:31 AM) *

I vote for Southern Oregon! It's not too expensive, it's centrally located, it has a nice track, it has lots of great touring routes. And I bet we can get Jamie to organize it!

What do you say, wasn't this year great? The weather here is in the 90's now. The only rain was during the WCR! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

In a few years possibly. WCR needs to move around. I would not consider doing it there again for 3 years. We need to rotate it around for sure. I'm fine going to SO Cal in 2017. With 2018 maybe in WA. I'm up for whatever as long as it doesn't include me planning it for a few years happy11.gif
montoya 73 2.0
If by saying that its time for it to be in SoCal again", but no one from SoCal or anywhere else has planned or spoke up about planning it "in" SoCal for the last few years (which is why it's been in The Dalles, Medford, Tahoe, Monterey and Cambria). Doesn't that then mean it will be somewhere other than SoCal? Really, Shit in one hand and wish in the other, which one do you think will fill up first?"

I personally have been wanting for it to be in San Jose or SoCal but no one has taken that monumental task on for obvious and not so obvious reasons. When people ask me about this slice of "my life", I always tell them it moves between 4 states so far. California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada. If it is/was in Boise, I would probably go! Then we could add Idaho to the list.

As I stated earlier in this thread, the event is held wherever and by whomever steps up and throws their hat in the ring! people are going to whine about something or everything. Too damn bad!!! Plan it and they will come, if not than they will the next time!!!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jun 3 2016, 11:55 AM) *

When people ask me about this slice of "my life", I always tell them it moves between 4 states so far. California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada. If it is/was in Boise, I would probably go! Then we could add Idaho to the list.

It was held one year in Rio Rancho, New Mexico too ... smile.gif Joe O'Brien of Series 9 sponsered the event and The Turtle Rock Brewery hosted the entire group. A great time was had by all...
mgp4591
The Yosemite solution sounds good to me and I'll be there. I'll be driving something from Utah and I don't qualify for the furthest driven, but it ain't next door either....
Maybe I just like driving... driving.gif
Andyrew
The only person with a short drive this time will probably be Rob with about 3 hours, followed by myself with about 4 and anyone else from the central valley.

If we change the location to Oakhurst it makes things even shorter and more accessible, not to mention cheaper. Also elevation will be less of an issue for the carb cars for the day to day getting around, but the scenery will be less spectacular and some of the cool ghost town stuff up north will probably be skipped.

I can guarantee there will not be a lacking of good driving roads for any option we pick. I plan on having a bunch of different routes for those that like to venture out and organizing a poker run or two.

Another option for a future event would be Chico/Redding. Thunderhill now has expanded there tracks and has a nice technical loop they can run separate from their big loop or combine the two, and there are plenty of fantastic roads around there that are just a hoot and a half, especially if you take the roads to the coast.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2016, 07:46 PM) *

The only person with a short drive this time will probably be Rob with about 3 hours, followed by myself with about 4 and anyone else from the central valley.

If we change the location to Oakhurst it makes things even shorter and more accessible, not to mention cheaper. Also elevation will be less of an issue for the carb cars for the day to day getting around, but the scenery will be less spectacular and some of the cool ghost town stuff up north will probably be skipped.

I can guarantee there will not be a lacking of good driving roads for any option we pick. I plan on having a bunch of different routes for those that like to venture out and organizing a poker run or two.

Another option for a future event would be Chico/Redding. Thunderhill now has expanded there tracks and has a nice technical loop they can run separate from their big loop or combine the two, and there are plenty of fantastic roads around there that are just a hoot and a half, especially if you take the roads to the coast.

Chico/Redding is about 100+ degrees from late May to September. So, an earlier event?

Thunderhill is a lot of fun. I've done it many times and have a good relationship with NCRC one of the track day programs. The problem is everyone would have to be in a school group who hadn't done a track day before and the track day fee alone would be $125 - $150.

Oakhurst is beautiful with it's miles and miles of orchards...
ConeDodger
I just noticed Al Weidman is on this thread. The area around Oroville is amazing too...
Mikey914
MMH is pretty remote, so hotel costs will be expensive.

Central cal, bay area, Santa cruz, San Jose may be more central, After all World HQ is in Oakland
Steve
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 3 2016, 05:29 PM) *

Central cal, bay area, Santa cruz, San Jose may be more central, After all World HQ is in Oakland

I thought World HQ was one of them Internet Acumulis Cloud things!!
Or is it still a server under Sir Andys desk at home in Oakland?

SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 3 2016, 05:38 PM) *
I thought World HQ was one of them Internet Acumulis Cloud things!!
Or is it still a server under Sir Andys desk at home in Oakland?

Neither ...

We still have a physical server, no cloudiness for us, but that server is in a data center in Kansas City now.
chowtime.gif
EdwardBlume
Wow! Thanks again Andy. You rock! aktion035.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 3 2016, 05:29 PM) *

Hotel costs have been researched and I think there are reasonable options.
rhodyguy
The Pruneyard in Campbell was very nice. '04 iirc. Centrally located, LOTS to do, a day's drive (long, but not that bad) from both ends of the coast. That was the first BIG "Club" event. Epic. Laguna Seca lap. The LOUD near empty parking garage hill climb. Jeff and the crew that organized everything did a fantastic job.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 4 2016, 08:52 AM) *

The Pruneyard in Campbell was very nice. '04 iirc. Centrally located, LOTS to do, a day's drive (long, but not that bad) from both ends of the coast. That was the first BIG "Club" event. Epic. Laguna Seca lap. The LOUD near empty parking garage hill climb. Jeff and the crew that organized everything did a fantastic job.

agree.gif I set off all the car alarms on all levels of that ramp. assimilate.gif Kevin was the first 914 guy from the forum I ever met. beerchug.gif JP was the second elvira.gif Yaroon was even there! Miss that guy. dry.gif biggrin.gif I think we've come close but never exceeded the 914 count from that event have we?
rhodyguy
I don't think that car count has been bettered.
McMark
Sheesh. All the theory and wish lists are great. But it doesn't matter. 98% of this thread is completely irrelevant. Somebody's gotta plan it. Very few people are brave/selfless enough to take it on.

If PanelBilly is willing to take the lead, everybody else should shut up. Even if you have the best intentions and life changing great ideas. Seriously. If you're not willing to take the LEAD on planning your voice is just noise in this conversation. I have thoughts of what I would like to see WCR be, but I'm not even going to say them because I'm not planning it, so my ideas are worthless.

I don't see anyone else chiming in. So PLEASE, lets support PanelBilly. smiley_notworthy.gif

If you're not posting to praise PanelBilly for being willing, don't bother posting. mad.gif And if you love the PNW, post now (hey lurkers!) and throw some positivity into this thread.

Okay, lunch break is over. Back to the salt mines.
ben*james
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 4 2016, 07:59 AM) *

Sheesh. All the theory and wish lists are great. But it doesn't matter. 98% of this thread is completely irrelevant. Somebody's gotta plan it. Very few people are brave/selfless enough to take it on.

If PanelBilly is willing to take the lead, everybody else should shut up. Even if you have the best intentions and life changing great ideas. Seriously. If you're not willing to take the LEAD on planning your voice is just noise in this conversation. I have thoughts of what I would like to see WCR be, but I'm not even going to say them because I'm not planning it, so my ideas are worthless.

I don't see anyone else chiming in. So PLEASE, lets support PanelBilly. smiley_notworthy.gif

If you're not posting to praise PanelBilly for being willing, don't bother posting. mad.gif And if you love the PNW, post now (hey lurkers!) and throw some positivity into this thread.

Okay, lunch break is over. Back to the salt mines.

first.gif agreed!
McMark
Apparently Mike Bellis and Andyrew might be stepping up? If they are, please post definitively so we can settle this out.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 4 2016, 08:32 AM) *

Apparently Mike Bellis and Andyrew might be stepping up? If they are, please post definitively so we can settle this out.

If Panelbilly is stepping down, we are stepping up. I have no problem bumping us to 2018 as that was our original plan. I will leave the final decision up to Panelbilly.

What say you?
rick 918-S
Sorry Mark, I was just reminiscing with Kevin. I wasn't even wishing for another event at the Pruneyard although it was pretty cool... biggrin.gif . Your right. Whom ever is planning it has my support when ever it is. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Agreed.
Chris914n6

please post definitively so we can settle this out.

I thought the cutoff date wasn't til Sept. Given the number of members WCR is important to, how about we just let things play out?

Let the voices be heard. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 4 2016, 03:04 PM) *

I thought the cutoff date wasn't til Sept. Given the number of members WCR is important to, how about we just let things play out?

September is not enough time to get reservations for hotels on small/busy area's especially in the Yosemite valley area. Those start to fill up almost a year in advance.

Chris914n6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 4 2016, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 4 2016, 03:04 PM) *

September is not enough time to get reservations for hotels on small/busy area's especially in the Yosemite valley area. Those start to fill up almost a year in advance.

Then it sound's like Yosemite isn't the right place for this group to stay. Would be nice to drive thru though...

But I was just saying there is no reason to rush into a decision.
McMark
Yosemite is fantastic but who cares? WHO is planning the the key. Do you think that if we 'pick' Yosemite someone is just going to pop out of the woodwork to plan it?

Sorry if I sound rude. I just don't understand why this is complicated.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 4 2016, 07:01 PM) *

Yosemite is fantastic but who cares? WHO is planning the the key. Do you think that if we 'pick' Yosemite someone is just going to pop out of the woodwork to plan it?

Sorry if I sound rude. I just don't understand why this is complicated.

Mike and Andrew with my help. Mammoth / Yosemite. Done...
Andyrew
Yes Mike and myself have already volunteered. Since Billy is not stepping up to do a Washington event Mike and myself (and now Rob) are stepping up to host 2017.

If anyone else would like to help or be part of planning, please send me or Mike a PM.

If anyone has any connections to anything in the greater Yosemite area that they are willing to share, please pm me. (Im thinking restraunts, police, hotels, ect).

Mikey914
I'm good however it works out
Mike Bellis
I heard Marty Yeoman wants to help too...
Andyrew
Sounds good smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I got an official PM from PanelBilly. He is out, we are in.

Looks like we have a good team to make this a great event. We will start scouting in a month or two. Possibly make some overnight trips to the target area. An official thread will be started as we get more organized.

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 5 2016, 12:17 AM) *

Looks like we have a good team to make this a great event. We will start scouting in a month or two. Possibly make some overnight trips to the target area. An official thread will be started as we get more organized.

I will ask Mark to set up a planning forum in the protected forum section...
JRust
When you guys are setup & have paypal let me know. I'll have some WCR money to send you
76-914
I can't wait. I finally will get to meet Yosemite Sam! lol-2.gif I'm in for the trip
matthepcat
Right on!

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 4 2016, 09:17 PM) *

Rand
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 5 2016, 06:01 PM) *

I can't wait. I finally will get to meet Yosemite Sam! lol-2.gif I'm in for the trip

Just be careful if that mother f***er shows up. He's got this thing about drink competitions and he's always trying to pull switches.
KELTY360
I was in that area earlier this month and had planned to head into Yosemite from the Mammoth side. On May 12th, Hwy 120 was closed so the park was inaccessible. I know the snowpack was heavy this year but it's something to factor into creating a schedule.

Also, I talked to a guy in Bishop who own a shop that works on a lot of air cooled stuff. Very knowledgeable. I'll try to find his contact info.
Mikey914
Pyramid Lake may make for some good pictures
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 6 2016, 01:45 AM) *

Pyramid Lake may make for some good pictures

Huh? Pyramid is no where near Mammoth Mark... It's out by Black Rock and the Burning Man Site.

Mono Lake?
Steve
I'm a big Yosemite fan!! But I drove down 395 May 21st and 120 was closed to Yosemite. Also Yosemite camping is booked out six months in advance. I used to stay in housekeeping, but that was a while ago and they didn't have the space for that many cars. A drive through for the day wouldn't be bad, but where would we spend the night? There is camping just outside the park, that might be easier to get into.
Mikey914
Sorry Mono Lake has some interesting "islands" on the northwest side
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 6 2016, 12:48 AM) *

Sorry Mono Lake has some interesting "islands" on the northwest side

True, but lodging and camping in Lee Vining is a beeotch.... spendy too.
Andyrew
There are 3 hotels in Mammoth that could house us and be within budget.

Scheduling the trip later in the year (August probably) would make sure that all the passes are open.
aircooledtechguy
Was there some seismic event that relocated Yosemite to the LA area that I didn't hear about?? So all that talk about it being "SoCal's turn to host" and we really need to have one in SoCal for a change, etc., really had nothing to do with it after all did it Rob? Funny how now that it'll be held again in NorCal, that you're perfectly content with the venue without a peep about SoCal. . .

Way to dampen people's enthusiasm to host in the future Rob! It takes a special kind of person to act like a total, utter, douche-bag without an ounce of concern for anyone else. Congratulations in bullying your way into getting exactly what you want. I hope you have a great time!!

Mikey914
The real issue here will be accommodations, we need not just hotel rooms, but a hotel willing for to have activities in the parking lot after hours, and to allow us to provide our own security "RV". I would suggest that you sort through the list on these as quick as you can, just in case it is not viable. Also, (goes with hotel reservations) we need to pick a date.

This is not an easy endeavor to make it come together and get it planned so it works. You may not have the highest turn out due to location, but the sooner yo ucan nail this down, the better.

Just my .02, having done this before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.