Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Andyrew
Maybe it is time to split up WCR? Since there has been a nice increase in PNW activity it makes sense to have you guys get your own activities.

CCR (California Classic Ramble)
PNWR (Pacific North West Ramble)

If you guys are keen on splitting it up then I think that would allow for twice as much west coast events and more involvement for the "geographically challenged" individuals.

Thoughts?
VegasRacer
Build it, and they will come. smash.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 1 2016, 08:58 PM) *

Build it, and they will come. smash.gif

agree.gif agree.gif
Larmo63
I would love to drive up to Washington. That would be incredible and I'd try to commit. The North/South combo idea leaves it open to somebody doing one or the other, or both.

jcd914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 1 2016, 08:43 PM) *

Maybe it is time to split up WCR?

IMHO splitting WCR is not a great idea.
Part of the draw is the different areas and people we meet.
Also a big event has a draw of it's own and splitting it will likely result in 2 smaller events.

Jim
mgp4591
QUOTE(JRust @ May 31 2016, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ May 31 2016, 05:29 PM) *

I would love to attend next year and NOT win the furthest distance award.

-Steve

lol-2.gif Oh crap I still haven't sent your awards. Totally spaced it. I'm going to go get the box in my rig right now. Sorry sad.gif

Or the t-shirts and license plate frames... shades.gif
Mikey914
The main reason it has not been in SoCal is that no one has stepped up to organize it.

You really need to be in the area to effectively organize it. San Simeon was nice, we drove down. I think most will go either way, but anyone down south want to organize it?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 2 2016, 04:05 AM) *

The main reason it has not been in SoCal is that no one has stepped up to organize it.

You really need to be in the area to effectively organize it. San Simeon was nice, we drove down. I think most will go either way, but anyone down south want to organize it?

There was a group last year who stepped up too late, and there is a group this year. Billy just up and claimed it 4 days after this years event was over. blink.gif that's not how this works... sad.gif
rhodyguy
Are there rules? Exactly how does it work?
PanelBilly
I'll step aside and it's yours to have. Just say you want it
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 2 2016, 10:26 AM) *

Are there rules? Exactly how does it work?

More like protocols... It's interesting but unprecedented having someone step up 4 days post event. Although, I think Mark Whitesell stepped up very early for the Dalles event. Maybe even at the previous event IIRC. No one thought he was serious until he actually had a framework plan in September. That isn't the case here.

The admin who has been most WCR involved has been very - very busy. In fact, he might not even care he's so swamped. Usually there's some discussion and consideration of a couple sites. But to say that the SoCal guys don't want to step up is simply not true. It's just so early that they aren't ready to come out...

As for Puget Sound, it's just too far for most of us. You can throw the 'look at Rick and Sandy thing out' (and I'm sure someone will) but Rick and Sandy aren't the metric by which most attendees can be measured. They simply aren't going to drive that far. Heck, Yopu decided two days before the event this year that she didn't want to go to Medford and it is just a 4:15 drive. huh.gif

If you can't put together a framework plan and present it in September or so and you just want to 'claim' the event now, good luck, I'm out. I can't do a day and a half of driving on both sides of the event just for two days and a BBQ.

Maybe the 2018 group should step up now so it doesn't end up Boise? blink.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif

PanelBilly
I'm out!!!
Andyrew
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2016, 08:05 AM) *

Maybe the 2018 group should step up now so it doesn't end up Boise? blink.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Mike Bellis and I were discussing 2018 smile.gif

Chris914n6
I'm not against 2 events beerchug.gif as long as they are at least a month apart, including Rt66.

I'd love to visit Oregon, but it's a full days drive up, and a full days drive back, for 2 days of play. I could justify it if I split the driving days and make a leisurely vacation out of it, but that depends on other factors.

Socal is a no brainer, 8 hours is fine, 10 and I'm beat.

Back-to-back in Oregon is not what I would like to see, but it all depends on who volunteers to organize.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 2 2016, 12:23 PM) *

Apparently, you should be discussing 2017! :blink
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 2 2016, 12:52 PM) *

I'm not against 2 events beerchug.gif as long as they are at least a month apart, including Rt66.

I'd love to visit Oregon, but it's a full days drive up, and a full days drive back, for 2 days of play. I could justify it if I split the driving days and make a leisurely vacation out of it, but that depends on other factors.

Socal is a no brainer, 8 hours is fine, 10 and I'm beat.

Back-to-back in Oregon is not what I would like to see, but it all depends on who volunteers to organize.

Umm Chris? Puget Sound is a whole State away from Oregon. Like 5 hours or so North?
rhodyguy
Wrong. Roughly 2 hours.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 2 2016, 01:08 PM) *

Wrong. Roughly 2 hours.

Kevin,

It's 12 hours from me and more than 7 from Medford. When I say 5, I'm figuring Portland or so...
rhodyguy
Depends on the puget sound location. The body of water in question is approx 100 miles long and runs from Olympia to deception pass.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 2 2016, 01:32 PM) *

Depends on the puget sound location. The body of water in question is approx 100 miles long and runs from Olympia to deception pass.

That doesn't really take much off my 12 hours but...

Convince us Kevin. I am having a hard time with the giving up because everyone doesn't agree. confused24.gif
JRust
It is about who steps up to organize the event! We will never please everyone! Most the people who will piss & moan about where it is. Are not going to bother to come anyway even if it's 2 hours from their house. Riverside is a good 15+ hour drive for me from Corvallis. WCR is never going to be in a convenient location for everyone. I've pulled a 3500 mile trip going to Albuquerque for Route 66 round trip. I am nowhere in Rick's league for the longest traveled. Only WCR I have missed in the last 8 years was Monterey. San Simeon last year was awesome. It was also a good 13 hour drive for me one way. It is neither convenient or cheap when you have to travel a long ways. It's not going to be in everyone's budget or fit into their schedule every year. So nobody needs to get upset & say they aren't coming a year before it is even planned. It is rare to have someone step up so soon after the event. I applaud Billy for wanting too. I hope we haven't run the idea out of his head forever with all the negativity. Billy has said he is out so it is in somebody else's court. (yes you pushed him out) So hopefully someone will step up to plan it. While I am not saying I won't go to So Cal. It will depend what is happening at the time. Like everyone else here. We have a life besides 914's. When someone plans it. I will see if I can come. World certainly isn't going to end if I can't make it slap.gif

As far as possibly splitting WCR. Hell no there is no reason too! Doesn't mean someone can't plan another event. I'm all for doing something in WA. Let's just call it the Pacific NW Rally or some other genius name. Realistically we probably won't draw any So Cal guys up for it. Doesn't mean if we have a dozen cars the weekend will suck. Adding another event may dilute some #'s for WCR but big deal. I've always seen WCR as the bigger event of the 3 I go to. I love Red Rocks & Route 66 too. They don't typically have the same draw of people or 914's as WCR. Even when we've had 10 cars I had a great weekend.

Anyway I'm curious to see who will step up. Reading this thread probably isn't going to be to inspiring confused24.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 2 2016, 08:31 AM) *

I'm out!!!

Bummer ... I was looking forward to one up in Washington. sad2.gif

Anyone who steps up to do the work to organize one of these events should be applauded ... just sayin'.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 2 2016, 04:01 PM) *

It is about who steps up to organize the event! We will never please everyone! Most the people who will piss & moan about where it is. Are not going to bother to come anyway even if it's 2 hours from their house. Riverside is a good 15+ hour drive for me from Corvallis. WCR is never going to be in a convenient location for everyone. I've pulled a 3500 mile trip going to Albuquerque for Route 66 round trip. I am nowhere in Rick's league for the longest traveled. Only WCR I have missed in the last 8 years was Monterey. San Simeon last year was awesome. It was also a good 13 hour drive for me one way. It is neither convenient or cheap when you have to travel a long ways. It's not going to be in everyone's budget or fit into their schedule every year. So nobody needs to get upset & say they aren't coming a year before it is even planned. It is rare to have someone step up so soon after the event. I applaud Billy for wanting too. I hope we haven't run the idea out of his head forever with all the negativity. Billy has said he is out so it is in somebody else's court. (yes you pushed him out) So hopefully someone will step up to plan it. While I am not saying I won't go to So Cal. It will depend what is happening at the time. Like everyone else here. We have a life besides 914's. When someone plans it. I will see if I can come. World certainly isn't going to end if I can't make it slap.gif

As far as possibly splitting WCR. Hell no there is no reason too! Doesn't mean someone can't plan another event. I'm all for doing something in WA. Let's just call it the Pacific NW Rally or some other genius name. Realistically we probably won't draw any So Cal guys up for it. Doesn't mean if we have a dozen cars the weekend will suck. Adding another event may dilute some #'s for WCR but big deal. I've always seen WCR as the bigger event of the 3 I go to. I love Red Rocks & Route 66 too. They don't typically have the same draw of people or 914's as WCR. Even when we've had 10 cars I had a great weekend.

Anyway I'm curious to see who will step up. Reading this thread probably isn't going to be to inspiring confused24.gif

This is what I'm talking about. Pretty much from the second post people have gently tried to suggest that it is time to go South since it has been North for a few years. These people have been ridiculed. Rich D suggested that I "step up" forgetting that I have been part of organizing 3+ of these events.

"(yes you pushed him out)" Really? Someone disagrees with him and he says he's too thin skinned and quits? Guess what? Sometimes people don't agree. Adults work through that. I'm glad we got the quitting out of the way now and not when the hotel told him he couldn't have a BBQ in the parking lot sometime in January. Fuch me Jamie! It isn't negativity when people disagree with him or you. It's a different opinion. Really? Negativity? It's very early. I'm not the least bit worried about someone stepping up.

From the start people had a different opinion. They tried to get people to see that SoCal is overdue and that Washington State is too far for many of us. Billy didn't respond. If you're going to lead one of these things you have to respond. The people who did respond didn't have a constructive or persuasive comment just "so what." SoCal is a long way for us, or worse. Or he who steps up gets to choose. I get that. But it was 4 days after the last event. Could we maybe just wait and see if someone else steps up? If we use that logic model it will be in Anchorage because it's West Coast and Joe the Eskimo stepped up.
rhodyguy
Come up anyways Dave. Wait til Later in the Summer. Curt and I have something cooking for August. Near the Columbia, but not the Dalles, in the heart of the cascades. Thermal hot springs, best 914 road (imho) in wash to get there, epic vistas and volcanoes.
JRust
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2016, 01:43 PM) *

"(yes you pushed him out)" Really? Someone disagrees with him and he says he's too thin skinned and quits? Guess what? Sometimes people don't agree. Adults work through that. I'm glad we got the quitting out of the way now and not when the hotel told him he couldn't have a BBQ in the parking lot sometime in January. Fuch me Jamie! It isn't negativity when people disagree with him or you. It's a different opinion. Really? Negativity? It's very early. I'm not the least bit worried about someone stepping up.

From the start people had a different opinion. They tried to get people to see that SoCal is overdue and that Washington State is too far for many of us. Billy didn't respond. If you're going to lead one of these things you have to respond. The people who did respond didn't have a constructive or persuasive comment just "so what." SoCal is a long way for us, or worse. Or he who steps up gets to choose. I get that. But it was 4 days after the last event. Could we maybe just wait and see if someone else steps up? If we use that logic model it will be in Anchorage because it's West Coast and Joe the Eskimo stepped up.

There was plenty of negativity about it being up north. I again said it's up to whoever steps up to organize it. I never said it was the first person to say I'm doing it. I think there was enough negative comments that if I were Billy. I would not feel the inclination to plan it any year up in WA. Let alone this next year. Again that is my opinion. So yes he bailed to let someone else do it down south. Doesn't mean he is a quitter ROB! Just means he saw in the post there wasn't much optimism for having it in WA period. Which I get by reading this thread too.

Maybe Rob you need to read my post again. I have no problem if people disagree with me. I don't care who is organizing it next or where it is. I will do my best to go. Just hoping someone steps up to do so. That in the past has taken some doing. Finding people to step up & want to host. I guess I need to use more smiley's in my post biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I wub.gif you all cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif , Can't wait to see where it will be next year aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 2 2016, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2016, 01:43 PM) *

There was plenty of negativity about it being up north. I again said it's up to whoever steps up to organize it. I never said it was the first person to say I'm doing it. I think there was enough negative comments that if I were Billy. I would not feel the inclination to plan it any year up in WA. Let alone this next year. Again that is my opinion. So yes he bailed to let someone else do it down south. Doesn't mean he is a quitter ROB! Just means he saw in the post there wasn't much optimism for having it in WA period. Which I get by reading this thread too.

Maybe Rob you need to read my post again. I have no problem if people disagree with me. I don't care who is organizing it next or where it is. I will do my best to go. Just hoping someone steps up to do so. That in the past has taken some doing. Finding people to step up & want to host. I guess I need to use more smiley's in my post biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I wub.gif you all cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif , Can't wait to see where it will be next year aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

I'm sorry you see negativity. I wish you'd point it out because while I agree, there wasn't too much support for a Washington event, I don't see that as being negative. That is just people sharing their disappointment at an event so far from home. This event is a long way off. There is no reason to panic. Someone will step up.

aircooledtechguy
bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif , That's a triple BS flag

Jezus H. Crips Rob. . . Wasn't it YOU who was saying that Billy (or was it Greenie) had volunteered to host the next WCR that last night in Medford?? Quit acting like a kid who got his crayons broke because you *may* have to drive more than 5 hours to a WCR!! If it's too far for ya, do what the rest of us do: DON'T GO!! You won't find me driving all the way to SoCal, but you also won't find me bitchin' like a baby about it either. . .

Hell, I got half a notion to host the next one up near Blaine, WA just 'cause you're bitchin'!!

Rant over. Back to herding cats. . .
ConeDodger
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jun 2 2016, 06:28 PM) *

bs.gif bs.gif bs.gif , That's a triple BS flag

Jezus H. Crips Rob. . . Wasn't it YOU who was saying that Billy (or was it Greenie) had volunteered to host the next WCR that last night in Medford?? Quit acting like a kid who got his crayons broke because you *may* have to drive more than 5 hours to a WCR!! If it's too far for ya, do what the rest of us do: DON'T GO!! You won't find me driving all the way to SoCal, but you also won't find me bitchin' like a baby about it either. . .

Hell, I got half a notion to host the next one up near Blaine, WA just 'cause you're bitchin'!!

Rant over. Back to herding cats. . .

Wasn't me, and I'm not bitchin. I would not go to either Blaine WA or Puget Sound but that isn't what I'm talking about anyway. I, and others are saying that it's time for the event to go back to Southern California. (Cambria is Central Coast so, not Southern California) That seems to be getting lost in this. We aren't saying Whaaa! we won't go, even though it is true, I wouldn't. We are saying that returning to Southern California has been discussed for years and we'd like to give that a chance and since it's so early why don't we give that a chance?
Let's not lose the point. I already said if it were in Washington, I wouldn't go. I did it without bitchin' as you say. The point is - it needs to move back to Southern California and there are people willing to host.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 2 2016, 09:23 AM) *

Looks like we're up...

Possibly at Mammoth Lake... idea.gif

WCR 2017 Mammoth Yosemite cheer.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 2 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Looks like we're up...

first.gif
rhodyguy
Whatcom county is nice.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2016, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 2 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Looks like we're up...

first.gif

Sounds like fun ... never been to Mammoth Lakes. signal914.jpg

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif
matthepcat
Mammoth / Yosemite ....awesome!
Mike D.
WTF.gif
WOW, That got out hand pretty quick. AND BTW, 3 guys from So.Cal. Stepped up for the 2015, and not too late. It was on the Central Cal. Coast, not in So. Cal. - Joe in So.Cal ran one year, Howard in So.Cal did another.

I think splitting the event is a bad idea.

See you in Mammoth! beerchug.gif

914_teener
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jun 2 2016, 06:44 PM) *

WOW, That got out hand pretty quick. AND BTW, 3 guys from So.Cal. Stepped up for the 2015, and not too late. It was on the Central Cal. Coast, not in So. Cal. - Joe in So.Cal ran one year, Howard in So.Cal did another.

See you in Mammoth!

GROUP HUG. You know you want to!

I've got FI.....so I'm good in Mammoth stirthepot.gif
greenie
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 2 2016, 03:53 PM) *

Mammoth / Yosemite ....awesome!

agree.gif

15 or 16 hours from Issaquah, I've never been to Mammoth Lakes, I'd say it's doable! driving.gif Just give me a few hours to rest up before the first drive. chowtime.gif beer.gif
Rand
Mammoth & Yosemite would be awesome. Just understand the planning and logistics that are necessary around the tourism that overloads those places when the snow doesn't stop people from getting there. It can be overwhelming for one car to deal with, I can't imagine trying to manage a group there ahead of time when you can't know what the weather vs the crazy amount of tourist overload is going to bring far enough in advance. Just to clarify, I'm only saying this because I've seen the craziness up there, not because I wouldn't love to see it happen. Certainly one of the most amazing areas on the west coast! Well sort of not terribly far from the coast anyway. wink.gif

I've been to several WCR events and have loved them all. A few favorites were Seattle, Portland, Medford, Tahoe, Monterey (Laguna Seca was awesome!) I haven't been to one in SoCal yet, but that just sounds like a good reason to want to experience it! I've missed some because of distance, but that's ok. Because it's one west coast event, it still feels like family and an epic event when we do make it. Smaller numbers just don't bring the same experience. Splitting it up sounds kind of sad. Heck, might as well just go to local cars and coffee events in that case so we can tell Mustang stories at the next one. biggrin.gif
JRust

WTF.gif

You guys did awesome too! Where are you going to do it this year biggrin.gif
SirAndy
WTF.gif
Seriously people. We haven't been up north in many years and then we finally get someone who is interested to set something up and one mid-cal guy goes on a bitch fit about how long that drive would be for him and everything falls apart?

Really?
headbang.gif

PS: I absolutely loved the drive up to Seattle when we had the WCR up there. We drove up the coast all the way from Oakland to Seattle. Spectacular drive!
72914wrx
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 2 2016, 09:31 PM) *

WTF.gif

If it's Yosemite I would love to help out that's in my back yard . Oakhuasrt is a great little town outside of Yosemite
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 3 2016, 12:35 AM) *

WTF.gif
Seriously people. We haven't been up north in many years and then we finally get someone who is interested to set something up and one mid-cal guy goes on a bitch fit about how long that drive would be for him and everything falls apart?

Really?
headbang.gif

PS: I absolutely loved the drive up to Seattle when we had the WCR up there. We drove up the coast all the way from Oakland to Seattle. Spectacular drive!

av-943.gif lol-2.gif Wow! Again with the drive time. I do not care how long the drive is.
Having been part of the planning for 4 out of the last 6, I happen to know that Southern California wants it back. All I said about the drive time is that I would not do it. Not the reason for any of this though. I simply can't. By the way, I am not a mid-cal guy. poke.gif
TC 914-8
http://ridgemotorsportspark.com/
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2016, 09:59 PM) *

WTF.gif

Really?
headbang.gif

av-943.gif lol-2.gif Wow! Again with the drive time. I do not care how long the drive is.
Having been part of the planning for 4 out of the last 6, I happen to know that Southern California wants it back. All I said about the drive time is that I would not do it. Not the reason for any of this though. I simply can't. By the way, I am not a mid-cal guy. poke.gif

Geez Rob. Are you bitch-fitting again? av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 3 2016, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2016, 09:59 PM) *

WTF.gif

Really?
headbang.gif

Geez Rob. Are you bitch-fitting again? av-943.gif

sheeplove.gif shut up ElYut! av-943.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(72914wrx @ Jun 2 2016, 09:36 PM) *

WTF.gif

If it's Yosemite I would love to help out that's in my back yard . Oakhuasrt is a great little town outside of Yosemite

Oakhurst is also a top contender. The actual city is not 100% determined. Yosemite area however is 100%. Tourism is going to be an issue which is why going on the shoulder season say late August might be necessary.

Mammoth has a brewing company that would be great to hit and some decent hotels.

Yosemite valley floor is going to be impossible to get on for any decent price. The cheapest decent place is $250/night which is about $100 over the upper limit of the budget I was thinking. They do offer group discounts but I doubt we'll be able to get anything near what we need.
So thus the need for going on the outer cities.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jun 2 2016, 10:05 PM) *

Click to view attachment
There's lots of fun between here and there
Mid June - early July
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2016, 01:13 AM) *

QUOTE(72914wrx @ Jun 2 2016, 09:36 PM) *

WTF.gif

Oakhurst is also a top contender. The actual city is not 100% determined. Yosemite area however is 100%. Tourism is going to be an issue which is why going on the shoulder season say late August might be necessary.

Mammoth has a brewing company that would be great to hit and some decent hotels.

Yosemite valley floor is going to be impossible to get on for any decent price. The cheapest decent place is $250/night which is about $100 over the upper limit of the budget I was thinking. They do offer group discounts but I doubt we'll be able to get anything near what we need.
So thus the need for going on the outer cities.

Andrew, have you considered the Nevada side? Small city with an airport for ElYut. Although the wind coming over the mountain makes it a tricky landing. Well, for me. Probably not ElYut. It's where a lot of the resort year-rounders live. Never noticed a hotel but since even Mark Whitesell flys in there, I imagine they do have one or two...
Mikey914
MMH is an interesting airport. There is a lot on interesting geography.

But short of camping it will be expensive.
Chris914n6
I don't see why we can't add a NWR. Seems to me the cars and members are there for a good turnout.
WCR early summer and NWR late summer?

Ironically I live in the middle of nowhere worth driving and have R66, RRC and half the time WCR within a reasonable distance.

I figure the more opportunities to play with our cars the better.
76-914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 2 2016, 03:59 PM) *

Looks like we're up...

Sweet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.