Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 heat exchanger group buy 1-5/8 updates and list
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mb911
Yup no need to coat as they are stainless..

Re criticism I don't take any offense.. I look at value for the dollar and for what the sell price is there is no way any U.S. manufacturers could do it any cheaper with stamped shrouds. I wish there was enough demand but there just isn't. Long term goal is to sell 2 sets a month and I am not sure if that is even possible?? If I am wrong I will be surprised.
horizontally-opposed
This looks to be a really nice product, and one that addresses a problem at an attractive price. If I had a big-displacement six, I would probably go this way. For those who, like me, have smaller sixes and like the look of the original heater boxes (not that we spend much time looking at them...), there is already a product out there. I will probably go with the Dansk HEs in mild steel, and then have them Jet Hot coated. I figure those should last for the rest of my 914's life—and certainly mine.

It is GOOD to have two great options. If I do a larger engine at some point, these will be on my radar. They look superior to some of the other aftermarket HEs to date. Cool seller, too. Can deal with criticism, but understands his product and plan and can back it up. Thanks for doing these!
mb911
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 3 2016, 08:38 AM) *

This looks to be a really nice product, and one that addresses a problem at an attractive price. If I had a big-displacement six, I would probably go this way. For those who, like me, have smaller sixes and like the look of the original heater boxes (not that we spend much time looking at them...), there is already a product out there. I will probably go with the Dansk HEs in mild steel, and then have them Jet Hot coated. I figure those should last for the rest of my 914's life—and certainly mine.

It is GOOD to have two great options. If I do a larger engine at some point, these will be on my radar. They look superior to some of the other aftermarket HEs to date. Cool seller, too. Can deal with criticism, but understands his product and plan and can back it up. Thanks for doing these!

Exactly what I was am saying..thanks for the kind word s
mb911
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Finishing a few sets this weekend.. Will ship those this coming week.
mb911
The plan is the 1st set will ship this week and 3 more the following week. So the 1st 4 depositer s will get the 1st 4 sets.. There will be a small break in shipping as have to take care of a small suergery that will delay building more sets for about 2 weeks..
Steve
Lookin good!! Looking forward to a finished product picture. I think I am at the bottom of the list. But no hurry for me anyway. I plan to swap out my stock heat exchangers during my company's shutdown, which is between Christmas and New Years.
JmuRiz
Take care of yourself first, we can all wait on parts...not health

Looking good!
BTW, did you ever get my O2 bungs, not the best confirmations from where I ordered them.
mb911
Nathan yes I did. Thanks

Steve I hope we will get yours done in time as we get closer let's talk to make sure we meet that schedule..
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 6 2016, 11:50 AM) *

Nathan yes I did. Thanks

Steve I hope we will get yours done in time as we get closer let's talk to make sure we meet that schedule..

I've been running factory 914-6 heat exchangers on my 3.2 for over 16 years now. So no hurry. Maybe find out who has nothing and is in more of a hurry.
Your health and family should come first anyway.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 6 2016, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 6 2016, 11:50 AM) *

Nathan yes I did. Thanks

I've been running factory 914-6 heat exchangers on my 3.2 for over 16 years now. So no hurry. Maybe find out who has nothing and is in more of a hurry.
Your health and family should come first anyway.

We are all good now someday i forsee back surgery and that won't be a quick turn around.. I want to get the 1st 20 Out asap so that we can build a good base of word of mouth advertising.
maf914
Great thread. You do beautiful work. I am not doing a six conversion, but it sure is tempting.

I have a question though and this is not criticism. How do you prevent rattling or vibration from the heat exchanger (HE) enclosure on the headers? On stock HE's the jacket is crimped around the exhaust pipes, I assume to reduce vibrations and also to seal in the hot air being pushed through the HE's to the cabin.
mb911
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 6 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Great thread. You do beautiful work. I am not doing a six conversion, but it sure is tempting.

I have a question though and this is not criticism. How do you prevent rattling or vibration from the heat exchanger (HE) enclosure on the headers? On stock HE's the jacket is crimped around the exhaust pipes, I assume to reduce vibrations and also to seal in the hot air being pushed through the HE's to the cabin.

Stock ones actually have a tab that bolts to the flange to stop the rattling we will do the same.
Mitox
Very nice; I will need to order a set for my car soon.
mb911
I am hopeful to be caught up by January..
Steve
Wow!! They look great. What do they look like on the car? Just curious on room between trailing arm mount, etc.
iamchappy
WOW nice work!
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 7 2016, 06:35 AM) *

Wow!! They look great. What do they look like on the car? Just curious on room between trailing arm mount, etc.

Dimensionally they are same as a stock heat exchanger
sb914
Wow is right! Those are sweet! They would even look great on the garage wall.
11tenths
Impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVjOH7WeEKk

Cheers- Harry
jmill
Just phenomenal! Those look gorgeous! I'm going to be scared to get them dirty when I get my set. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 7 2016, 08:25 AM) *

Just phenomenal! Those look gorgeous! I'm going to be scared to get them dirty when I get my set. beerchug.gif

They are supposed to reflect the effort we all contribute towards preserving these cars.. I think they do that well.
Harpo
Very impressive
Steve
Can't wait to get mine!! Once you build up a supply, they should sell like hot cakes. Our only choice in the past was stock six heat exchangers, headers or crappy fitting, poor heat B&B heat exchangers.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 8 2016, 02:00 PM) *

Can't wait to get mine!! Once you build up a supply, they should sell like hot cakes. Our only choice in the past was stock six heat exchangers, headers or crappy fitting, poor heat B&B heat exchangers.

Can't wait to finish the group buy sets and get all of you your sets.. This will be a huge milestone.. I am still hoping to get them all out to everyone before the end of the year.. There are so many little things that take spool much time.
mb911
1st set shipped today yeah! Waiting for feedback and then will promptly ship 3 more sets.. Then only 16 more sets to make up..
db9146
popcorn[1].gif
mb911
Just got off the phone with Mark who has the 1st set.. He is working on installing them tomorrow and or Friday.. Once we get the green light then we should be producing them next week once doctor give clearance to get back at it on Tuesday..
Steve
I just shipped a bung for my heat exchanger. Should be there in a week.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 16 2016, 02:55 PM) *

Ok..

In hindsight I should have just done o2bungs on all of them.. I have had a flurry of bungs show up and trying to figure out who they belong to is definitely keeping my mind sharp..
bahnzai
Hi Ben,
I had a set of O2 bungs and plugs shipped to you too, if that helps.
Thanks!
Danny
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 16 2016, 03:39 PM) *

Ok..

In hindsight I should have just done o2bungs on all of them.. I have had a flurry of bungs show up and trying to figure out who they belong to is definitely keeping my mind sharp..

I put a letter in mine with name address phone number, world user ID, etc.
Hope that helps!!
mb911
Steve I found yours. It was all just detective work and almost everyone sent in o2bungs from the same company so that made it more fun..
sixnotfour
just got mine , I will send them to you smile.gif
restore2seater
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 16 2016, 05:39 PM) *

Ok..

From o2bungs.com home page.

"Welcome to O2Bungs.com. We invite you to browse through our store and shop with confidence. Our O2 bungs are made with pride and offered in many different materials and shapes such as our Mild Steel O2bung, Stainless Steel O2bung, Aluminum O2bung, Angled O2bung and the ever popular O2Bung Plug. Bulk discounts are available; please contact us directly by email or during normal business hours at 561-375-6277. We invite you to create an account with us if you like, or shop as a guest. "

Just a thought.
mb911
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Nov 18 2016, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 16 2016, 05:39 PM) *

Ok..

From o2bungs.com home page.

"Welcome to O2Bungs.com. We invite you to browse through our store and shop with confidence. Our O2 bungs are made with pride and offered in many different materials and shapes such as our Mild Steel O2bung, Stainless Steel O2bung, Aluminum O2bung, Angled O2bung and the ever popular O2Bung Plug. Bulk discounts are available; please contact us directly by email or during normal business hours at 561-375-6277. We invite you to create an account with us if you like, or shop as a guest. "

Just a thought.

Its a good thought.. I may do that moving forward..

Little update.. Mark has been working on installing these and sending pictures of his setup. So far we ran into a little trouble with the jwest shift linkage and an after market or should I say modified 911 oil scavenge line clearance issue. He is documenting everything so we can make some minor adjustments.. The shift linkage (jwest) seems to be the biggest issue as of now but I don't know how many people actually have that set up either..

Good progress though.
Steve
Is the Jwest shift rod bent? On my 916 trans, mine is straight and has lots of clearance. The stock heat exchangers are beveled on top to clear the oil lines on both sides. If you bevel yours to match the stock heat exchangers, you should be good to go.
Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 18 2016, 08:59 AM) *

Is the Jwest shift rod bent? On my 916 trans, mine is straight and has lots of clearance. The stock heat exchangers are beveled on top to clear the oil lines on both sides. If you bevel yours to match the stock heat exchangers, you should be good to go.
Click to view attachment

I think he is using the 901 box so it is a touch different setup from what you show in the pictures. I will update as I know.
Steve
Check out your stock six heat exchangers. They are both beveled on top. The drivers side is beveled to clear the oil cooler line and the passenger side is beveled to clear the return line.
Click to view attachment
Steve
The drivers side looks like its beveled for the shift rod and the oil cooler line.
Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 18 2016, 10:06 AM) *

The drivers side looks like its beveled for the shift rod and the oil cooler line.
Click to view attachment

Yup driver side is beveled on stock ones but so far none stock shift rod and non stock oil line is the issue..

In progress investigation
mepstein
I think the 914 side shift console may be further from the transmission centerline than a 915/916 trans. But in any case it will pay for Ben to build for, let's not say worse case but build in enough room to make most combinations work without modifications to the heat exchangers. I'm sure most buyers, once they receive the product, will want to install them, have them fit correctly, and then drive and enjoy.
I can tell you the look and feel of the heat exchangers are first rate. The metal is all heavy gauge. The welding is second to none. All the guys at the shop are impressed with the product. Now Ben is just making sure they will work for everyone.
mb911
Mark is going to send his driver side back to me for some small mods.. Passenger side is good to go so we can proceed there for sure.. Much needed info so we can make it work for everyone.
maddin
Does anybody have any spare o2 sensors I could buy off?
I know,should have sorted that out earlier...
Are they specific ones I need?
cheers Marty
mb911
Click to view attachment

As all can see need a little tweaking.. But really close.
mb911
QUOTE(maddin @ Nov 18 2016, 01:34 PM) *

cheers Marty

Marty I am sure I can order you some when I get to your set..the plan is to finish the next 3 sets.. And get them out there with the mods Mark suggested and get more feedback.. But we are 95% there..
maddin
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 19 2016, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(maddin @ Nov 18 2016, 01:34 PM) *

cheers Marty

Marty I am sure I can order you some when I get to your set..the plan is to finish the next 3 sets.. And get them out there with the mods Mark suggested and get more feedback.. But we are 95% there..

Thanks Ben,
that would be fantastic!!
Everything looks great! So glad I ordered them,thank you!!! smile.gif
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2016, 01:03 PM) *

Mark is going to send his driver side back to me for some small mods.. Passenger side is good to go so we can proceed there for sure.. Much needed info so we can make it work for everyone.

Ben,
I'm curious about the 901 Patrick Motorsports shift rod. It used to rub on my stock heat exchangers before I switched to the 916 gear box.
Since I don't have that problem, I will take the one your having problems with.
Lol ...
happy11.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 18 2016, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2016, 01:03 PM) *

Ben,
I'm curious about the 901 Patrick Motorsports shift rod. It used to rub on my stock heat exchangers before I switched to the 916 gear box.
Since I don't have that problem, I will take the one your having problems with.
Lol ...
happy11.gif

We looked at our tacked up boxes tonight with reference pictures from Mark and have a way to make everything work.. The one thing is the one spot by the knuckle closest to the trans shift mechanism is actually 1/2" narrower then what is stock. So there is no way that linkage would work with stock heat exchangers.. More good info..
mb911
3 sets plan to ship this coming week. I have emailed it texted those folks.. Just excited to get moving on this.. We are widdling down the back log so to speak.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.