Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 heat exchanger group buy 1-5/8 updates and list
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mb911
By the end of next week should have 8 sets out there.. Making progress..
Steve
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
forrestkhaag
Good to see MB 911 is doing the hard work here. Merry Christmas to all beerchug.gif
bahnzai
Click to view attachment

Look what Santa dropped off early.
Merry Christmas to me!

Beautiful work Ben. I am tempted to hang these on the wall and just look at them as art smile.gif

Thanks!!
mb911
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Dec 24 2016, 04:14 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Look what Santa dropped off early.
Merry Christmas to me!

Beautiful work Ben. I am tempted to hang these on the wall and just look at them as art smile.gif

Thanks!!

I am glad they made it safely and thanks again for providing the patterns.
jmill
Between this thread and the 904 build I'm in awe of the talent of some of this group! Come March I'll be eyeballing a set of these.

welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif
porschetub
Nice work,I like the way you set upon a project such as this and just get on with it ,few questions..wondering why you never used a merged connector @ the junction of the 3 pipes ?
Like what you have done with the heater boxes,they appear to have a larger displacement that the stock ones, would you think that would benefit heater performance ?
Would the stainless steel generate more heat than mild steel ?
Merry Xmas beer.gif
jmill
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 25 2016, 02:25 PM) *

wondering why you never used a merged connector @ the junction of the 3 pipes ?

I believe the merged collector added $450 to the price tag. The 914 lot is a bunch of CSOB's. Me included happy11.gif
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 25 2016, 12:25 PM) *

Nice work,I like the way you set upon a project such as this and just get on with it ,few questions..wondering why you never used a merged connector @ the junction of the 3 pipes ?
Like what you have done with the heater boxes,they appear to have a larger displacement that the stock ones, would you think that would benefit heater performance ?
Would the stainless steel generate more heat than mild steel ?
Merry Xmas beer.gif

Stainless doesn't transfer heat as well as mild steel but once it's hot it will retain it

Merge was just as close to original as possible without adding a bunch of cost.
Cairo94507
These are just a work of art. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
Just a nice progress picture of the second half of the group buy.. Looks like January delivery for a good portion.. Sorry about that but so much had to be worked out.Click to view attachment
maddin
looking great!!!! I only wish I had paid the lot when I ordered with the aussi dollar going down by the minute! :-(
Nutter965
I know how you feel the Pound is as bad !
mb911
Ok so not part of the group buy but just came to mind this weekend..

For those of you with thick flange heads like some 2.7s 3.0 3.2 3.6.. You will have to either change exhaust studs or cut them shorter or use a stack of washers to take up the distance which is about 5/16".. This is particularly important if you use barrel nuts which you should like stock.

I may have a solution. I can have thick stainless washers laser cut for those that would like them and sell them at an extremely reasonable price.. I know there is only a few of you that will need them so email if your interested and I will get pricing.

Ps shipping 9 through 11 sets this week so moving along nicely.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2017, 12:22 PM) *

For those of you with thick flange heads like some 2.7s 3.0 3.2 3.6.. You will have to either change exhaust studs or cut them shorter or use a stack of washers to take up the distance which is about 5/16".. This is particularly important if you use barrel nuts which you should like stock.

I may have a solution. I can have thick stainless washers laser cut for those that would like them and sell them at an extremely reasonable price.. I know there is only a few of you that will need them so email if your interested and I will get pricing.

Ben,
Do the new heat exchangers have the same exhaust manifold thickness as stock 914-6 heat exchangers? I'm running stock barrel nuts with my 3.2 and factory six heat exchangers and they work fine with no washers or spacers.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 9 2017, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 9 2017, 12:22 PM) *

Ben,
Do the new heat exchangers have the same exhaust manifold thickness as stock 914-6 heat exchangers? I'm running stock barrel nuts with my 3.2 and factory six heat exchangers and they work fine with no washers or spacers.

Yes same thickness as stock.
mb911
Minor update..

Still delivering units. About 3 sets a week. Working on figuring out packaging to Australia..

Also shipped the 1st set for a wholesale customers so no longer can I discount moving forward expect for 914 world members to protect retailers.. New retail is waaay more then I anticipated at $2200 but it's the only way to make it work..still a bargain but I was hoping to be under 2k..

Sorry just a little insight to all the things that go into making parts for our community..

mb911
Shipping more sets this week.. Should be done with group buy in about 2 weeks..fingers crossed. And then retail time
rktmn247
Received my heat exchangers today right on schedule! They look great!

Thanks!
mb911
We are just about finished group buy. Still have to take care of a few that opted to wait until the end or are priced a touch above the group buy pricing. I want to thank everyone that was so patient with the build process. We now have a viable option out there for -6 cars and easy cheaper then any other option. I should have stock by Hershey.

mb911
Now going to do some 1.5" for the small displacement cars if anyone is interested please let me know.
Steve
Since the stock exchangers are 1.5", wouldn't 1 3/4" for the 3.6 crowd be more popular?
I would do a pole.
mepstein
I was going to use Ben's 1 5/8 for my 3.6 - I figure I should be good for a street car. Do you think a larger size is needed.

I would think there are more small displacement 6's than 3.6-3.8's.
Steve
I heard that stock for a 3.6 is 1 5/8", but most conversions use 1 3/4" headers.
Steve
I finally found time to try to install them. They are sitting too high at the muffler hanger. Any ideas? Otherwise it bolted up fine.
My stock factory 914-6 heat exchangers worked fine with the stock 2.0 muffler hanger.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 29 2017, 08:31 PM) *

I finally found time to try to install them. They are sitting too high at the muffler hanger. Any ideas? Otherwise it bolted up fine.

I used an England (sp?) rear hanger. It fit very well. If a stock one won't work, it should be easy to modify or make a new one. Might be Ben's next project.

One thought, I have a 914 trans, yours is a 915, is that the issue?
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 29 2017, 05:40 PM) *

I used an England (sp?) rear hanger. It fit very well. If a stock one won't work, it should be easy to modify or make a new one. Might be Ben's next project.

The factory 914-6 heat exchangers worked fine, with the 914-4 2.0 hanger. I also used the same heat 914-6 heat exchangers with the same hanger with the previous 914 trans.
Steve
I'm going to see if I can get a 1/2"-1" spacer to push the muffler further out. It will then clear the trans. I can modify the muffler bracket or use metal strips from the hanger to the muffler. Just curious if anyone else has tried these heat exchangers with a stock 914-4 2.0 muffler hanger or stock 914-6 hanger. Raising the muffler up a bit for more ground clearance is not necessarily a bad thing.
mb911
This is a very unusual issue as I have not had this report from anyone else and these were copied exactly off the original heat exchangers with height, locations, angles, etc. The other thing is these are not made as a set so if something was wrong with a height some where that was caused by a manufacturing flaw it wouldn't show up on both heat exchangers.

Ps if you want some muffler flanges I can send you some to use as spacers just let me know. But still a curious issue regardless.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2017, 04:34 AM) *

This is a very unusual issue as I have not had this report from anyone else and these were copied exactly off the original heat exchangers with height, locations, angles, etc. The other thing is these are not made as a set so if something was wrong with a height some where that was caused by a manufacturing flaw it wouldn't show up on both heat exchangers.

Ps if you want some muffler flanges I can send you some to use as spacers just let me know. But still a curious issue regardless.

Thanks!! Who knows it could be my setup. No big deal I will make it work!!
Just curious on who else is using a stock hanger.
I will take some measurements later today, to figure out how far out I need to space the muffler. There is plenty of room. Thanks again for all your help. Every thing else fit fine. This is the least of my worry's.
mepstein
Is there enough meat at the area where the hanger bolts to the trans to oval the holes to give you more adjustment or even drill a second set of holes.
Steve
If there's a will there's a way!!
Thanks for the feedback and help!!
I can drill new holes in the hanger and extend the slot an inch for the trans cooler.
I'm going to need Ben to fab up 1.5" extenders, to clear the backup light switch. I will also extend the holes in the fiberglass GT valance up an inch. At least now the Triad muffler will have the same ground clearance as the trans.
Here's some pictures of my hobby. My neighbor calls it "my labor of love".
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
smash.gif beerchug.gif
mb911
This problem we can solve just curious why yours was different then the others.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 29 2017, 09:40 PM) *

Engman?

He passed away a couple years back and the hanger is NLA unless someone picked up making it. I know the chassis stiffener kit (interior) is being done by someone.
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 30 2017, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 29 2017, 09:40 PM) *

Engman?

He passed away a couple years back and the hanger is NLA unless someone picked up making it. I know the chassis stiffener kit (interior) is being done by someone.

Yes, I purchased it a couple years back. You know how these projects take time to come together ...
mb911
Steve parts are sent.

Should have a couple more sets ready to ship end of next week.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 4 2017, 06:55 AM) *

Steve parts are sent.

Thanks Ben!! I think my car is special. Especially since I'm using an after market muffler (Triad).
Mepstein didn't have a problem. The Engman hanger should of been a duplicate of the 2.0 hanger. Engman (RIP) made cool race look products with holes in them to make them look racy / lighter. I don't know who else would need the spacers. I wish I had a stock six log muffler to compare. The space behind my trans is needed for the back up switch plus a local shop put a fitting on the end of my trans for a trans cooler. I don't know who else would need this mod.
I am curious though... Looking at McMarks picture that you posted, it also looks like the hanger and muffler are an inch lower.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ May 4 2017, 10:30 AM) *

Steve parts are sent.

Thanks Ben!! I think my car is special. Especially since I'm using an after market muffler (Triad).
Mepstein didn't have a problem. The Engman hanger should of been a duplicate of the 2.0 hanger. Engman (RIP) made cool race look products with holes in them to make them look racy / lighter. I don't know who else would need the spacers. I wish I had a stock six log muffler to compare. The space behind my trans is needed for the back up switch plus a local shop put a fitting on the end of my trans for a trans cooler. I don't know who else would need this mod.
I am curious though... Looking at McMarks picture that you posted, it also looks like the hanger and muffler are an inch lower.
Click to view attachment

That's my car. It's just distorted perspective. The muffler is just hanging on to the hanger with some hose clamps. Nothing was tightened down. When the hanger is against the heat exchangers, everything lines up.

I don't run the shorted 911 hardline shown in the pic. The hardline worked well with headers but not with these heat exchangers. I just ran the ss line directly to the engine. I figure the heat exchanger is a good buffer from the heat of the header.
Steve
Thanks for the clarification. Weird the hanger distance looked just like mine. I'm running the PMS short return line. It is a tight fit, but should be fine. I will check it occasionally in the future. I will post pictures of mine when it's back together.
Thanks again Ben for making these!!
Steve
piratenanner.gif Finally finished installing the heat exchangers. Very noticeable difference in power and throttle response over the stock six heat exchangers. Thanks Ben for the awesome support and help!! I am very happy with my purchase. Glad I got in on the group buy!! Killer deal!!!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Steve

Steve parts are sent.

1.5" was a mistake. Not enough room for nuts and washers. My bad... I should of said 2". I made the 1.5" work. It might make more sense some day for me to just reweld the muffler flanges on the muffler, versus a spacer. Here's a picture of the spacer. It works fine. Thanks again for the awesome support and help!!
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
You know I have added these beautiful heat exchangers to my list..... Steve's comments re the 3,2 power difference sealed it for me - but I already suspected that would be the case. beerchug.gif
mb911
Looks good.
mepstein
Steve, i think a threaded stud would also have worked but glad to see you're back on the road.
Steve
I actually used long bolts. A threaded stud would of also worked.
mb911
Here is another 3.0 installClick to view attachment
mb911
So pelican parts will be listing these in their catalog shortly. Could any of you share hi res shots of your heat exchangers either mounted on the car or set by the car ready for install?

Please email them to mbconsulting21@gmail.com or post here.. Thanks again.

Nutter965
There simply stunning in the flesh! Ben is a master !
mb911
No installation pictures??
Steve
This is the only one that I have.
I can put the car up on the lift this Sunday and get another one if it will help.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.