Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 heat exchanger group buy 1-5/8 updates and list
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Steve
One stop shop would be nice, regarding the gaskets, but not important to me. I will probably use this opportunity to adjust the valves and do an oil change while the heat exchangers are off, which means I will also need an oil filter and valve cover gaskets.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 4 2016, 05:34 AM) *

One stop shop would be nice, regarding the gaskets, but not important to me. I will probably use this opportunity to adjust the valves and do an oil change while the heat exchangers are off, which means I will also need an oil filter and valve cover gaskets.

I will look and see what they would cost for exhaust only gaskets and probably the barrel nuts and copper clad 12mm(8mm) nuts..
sixnotfour
PP sent biggrin.gif
mb911
Thanks.
rktmn247
I have tried to talk myself out of these, but it hasn't worked. So I have some questions. What will the heater boxes look like? Do you have a $ estimate on shipping? They really look great thus far! Thank you for stepping up and filling this void.
gms
those look really nice Ben!
mountainroads
QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Oct 6 2016, 12:53 PM) *

I have tried to talk myself out of these, but it hasn't worked. So I have some questions. What will the heater boxes look like? Do you have a $ estimate on shipping? They really look great thus far! Thank you for stepping up and filling this void.

Ditto for me. Not an immediate need, but definitely interested. I'm running a 2.7 with the stock boxes, so have the usual concerns. Please post some pics of the heater boxes in your spare time rolleyes.gif

Either mockups or real deal is fine. Thanks.

- MR
mb911
Heater box pictures hopefully this weekend. No idea on shipping yet.. I need vs completed set so I can figure out the safest and most cost effective way to ship them much like how ssi did..

I use to ship mufflers back in the day for about 35 dollars but since these will be much lower volume I will ship through a friend's business account as he sends out hundreds of wheels out daily and will give the best prices..
mb911
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 6 2016, 01:32 PM) *

those look really nice Ben!

Thanks it's allot of work.. And it happens slowly and usually too slow for others..
mb911
Plan to bend enough this weekend for 20 sets and then complete one set of heat exchangers with the week.
JmuRiz
Compared to how I work (don't work) it looks like you're moving at 100mph biggrin.gif
maddin
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 7 2016, 11:46 AM) *

Compared to how I work (don't work) it looks like you're moving at 100mph biggrin.gif

...I second that!

super excited to see the final product!
rktmn247
Ben, I purchased my one and only 914 about 7 yrs ago. I am still in the "collecting parts stage" You are moving at light speed compared to me. I am in HI and have no need for heat here, still think I have to have them. So yea, anyways I'm going to be sending in my deposit soon, along with having some O2 bungs sent your way. My zip here is 96789 for est. shipping costs. I know, Hawaii will probably be expensive. My family is in MN and so there may be some other options. Thanks again!
mb911
Ok so the expanded 15 people group buy is now closed.. I will update the 1st post with all the names that have deposited.. I have closed the 1500 group buy at the beginning of last weekend but was waiting for that inquired to arrive. All that inquired should have invoices shortly in the mail.

I am accepting 1650 preorders for after the group buy until the 1st units start shipping.. I expect we will have a few sets ship within the next month..

After pre order the price will go to 1900 For the sets to allow for wholesalers and retail structures.

Emails or texts or calls are best mbconsulting21@ gmail.com. 2623647426.

Oh and orders will ship in order of deposits received.
rktmn247
Deposit and O2 bungs are on the way. Thanks!
mb911
Fixtures are now 100% done. Bending tubing tonight.. Pictures soon.
mb911
Not much to report.. Doing some tweaks , fit on engine with muffler and comparing to factory set we have here. Fingers crossed but planning on heat exchanger pictures this week and 20 sets of headers completed next while we wait on laser cuts for heat exchangers.. Fingers crossed but shooting for earlier deliverys.. Maybe mid November.. Again that is the hope.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 12 2016, 03:58 PM) *

Not much to report.. Doing some tweaks , fit on engine with muffler and comparing to factory set we have here. Fingers crossed but planning on heat exchanger pictures this week and 20 sets of headers completed next while we wait on laser cuts for heat exchangers.. Fingers crossed but shooting for earlier deliverys.. Maybe mid November.. Again that is the hope.

MB911, the headers look great. Very nice workmanship. But can you post pics of the heater boxes?
mb911
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Oct 12 2016, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 12 2016, 03:58 PM) *

MB911, the headers look great. Very nice workmanship. But can you post pics of the heater boxes?

I will do as soon as I have a working sample.. That's the task at hand this week..
mb911
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Making progress.. Half of the bends and heat exchangers patterns
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Ok weird it doubled pictures in the posts.. Oh well get the point lol
mb911
Ok so I have 4 seprate shipments of o2 bungs. I have identified the following people that sent them but still need to identify the last guy

Mark E (1 bung)
Pat G (2 bungs)
Jeff T (2 bungs)
Inovate o2bungs (?)
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 16 2016, 11:29 AM) *

Ok so I have 4 seprate shipments of o2 bungs. I have identified the following people that sent them but still need to identify the last guy

Mark E (1 bung)
Pat G (2 bungs)
Jeff T (2 bungs)
Inovate o2bungs (?)

Jeff T (2 bungs) with plugs! Just in case others didn't include the plugs you will know who's they are.

Thanks
mb911
Thanks..
JmuRiz
That reminds me I need to order/send my O2 bungs...

edit: just ordered and shipped you a pair, thanks!
rktmn247
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 16 2016, 08:29 AM) *

Mark E (1 bung)
Pat G (2 bungs)
Jeff T (2 bungs)
Inovate o2bungs (?)

I'm the last guy. You should have also received my deposit.
mb911
I did Kent ok.. That helps.
Gary
I need to source a bung too - can someone verify m18x1.5 for the stock 3.2l motronic and / or suggest a source?
mepstein
QUOTE(Gary @ Oct 18 2016, 08:28 PM) *

I need to source a bung too - can someone verify m18x1.5 for the stock 3.2l motronic and / or suggest a source?

I think I got mine from o2bungs.com Stainless steel. Ordered a cap as well. Ben said it looked very good.
JmuRiz
Good to know, I ordered/sent the same ones smile.gif
...sending engine out for refresh this weekend, exciting times.
bahnzai
Ben,
Sorry I am late to the dance with this info, but I will need the O2 bungs added as well.
I ordered 2 with plugs and had them shipped directly to you. You should see them next week.
Thanks!!
Danny
mb911
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Oct 22 2016, 03:17 AM) *

Ben,
Sorry I am late to the dance with this info, but I will need the O2 bungs added as well.
I ordered 2 with plugs and had them shipped directly to you. You should see them next week.
Thanks!!
Danny

Sounds good.
mb911
Well work is being done.. We have most of the primaries made and just waiting on laser cuts for the heat exchangers.. Here is a rough he pattern.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment made some progress this weekend.. This week lots will happen as we need to take off a few weeks on the project for a minor suergery but hoping to finish 4 sets prior..

You can see what the heat exchangers look like in the 3d model
mb911
Another quick shot of progress..I hope you all likeClick to view attachment
pete-stevers
Looking mighty fine!! happy11.gif
Cairo94507
Seriously nice......damn it! drooley.gif
Mueller
Too bad you couldn't do a stamping for the heat exchanger box, I'm not feeling the boxy too square cornered look.
Ed_914
Yeah that would be really nice
porschetub
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 3 2016, 04:23 PM) *

Too bad you couldn't do a stamping for the heat exchanger box, I'm not feeling the boxy too square cornered look.

So should he invest in a a stamping press? because you don't like the shape,silly comments really can you prove the air will flow better...don't think so.
Tops marks for doing what NO one has done with 6 exhaust solutions for our cars.
Ed_914
Don't misunderstand me. I like very much what has been done and I ordered everything
Ben makes for my six conversion. ( he just needs to sort out the card payment system)
Making the tooling would be very expensive but also very nice. And as the full rebuild cost an arm and a leg anyway ,I wouldn't be unhappy to pay more for a stamped version.
Still love the fact that Ben is making this. smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
I would love to stamp them it just that tooling would be about 20k .. If you do a quick count of people that are in.. It would take 10 times that amount to pay them off.. It just doesn't make financial sense.. Now if I charged 2600 for them then maybe so.
maddin
Excuse my ignorance but...what is this "stamping" your talking about? Sorcery? Witchcraft? Postal duties?
mepstein
QUOTE(maddin @ Nov 3 2016, 06:58 AM) *

Excuse my ignorance but...what is this "stamping" your talking about? Sorcery? Witchcraft? Postal duties?

Stamping out the shells in a big press would make it look like the oem pieces.
But -
Its under the car
Its actually getting done!
It should be pretty awesome the way it is now

maddin
Oh I see...had a look at the original HE's,thanks!
Personally I couldn't care less...it's not a functional issue.
Glad mb911 does what he does and we can all profit from a great product! :-)
Ed_914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 3 2016, 12:50 PM) *

I would love to stamp them it just that tooling would be about 20k .. If you do a quick count of people that are in.. It would take 10 times that amount to pay them off.. It just doesn't make financial sense.. Now if I charged 2600 for them then maybe so.

The original set would have cost me $3000 and yours is better for my engine so $2600 is fine by me, but I understand the market is small and it is under the car and nothing else is original, so why am I even bringing it up WTF.gif Just getting carried away piratenanner.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 3 2016, 01:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 3 2016, 04:23 PM) *

So should he invest in a a stamping press? because you don't like the shape,silly comments really can you prove the air will flow better...don't think so.
Tops marks for doing what NO one has done with 6 exhaust solutions for our cars.

Wow screwy.gif , it's called constructive criticism, not a flame or diss.

db9146
Once these HE are done, what are the common thoughts on JetCoating them? Anyone considering this or know the Pros and Cons?

mepstein
They are stainless so I'm satisfied -as is. I was just talking to Ben last night about a second set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.