Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Left Side Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Harpo
I know that welding causes heat but I failed to consider the consequences of welding on my 914-6 clone column. I can't install the lower bearing.

I have tried heating up the column and installing the bearing and was successful but ended having to remove because the bearing was binding.

So I have decided that machining is the way to go. Lathe may be the easiest if I could chuck it up, not. So that leaves a milling machine. headbang.gif
Harpo
Could the machining experts please help here?

Could a small diameter hone work? The price is right
https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-1120-Small...words=bore+hone
zambezi
I would think a small break hone would work for this.
live free & drive
Hi,

Take it to a repair oriented machine shop ( or friend with a lathe). The way to do it is to clamp the part to the compound or cross-slide (as if it was going to be line bored) shim up the shaft/tube to the lathes centerline and clamp in place. Then put an adjustable boring bar in a collet in the spindle (like a Criterion or DeVleig) and then tease off the out of round or off-size heat deformation. It won't take much. The machining will take a few minutes the set-up 1/2 hour plus.
McMark
I don't think that bearing needs perfect machining to sit in all the way around. It's not carrying a load. I'd try the hone, which may expose some high points that can be taken down with some light touches from a carbide cutter.

I think you can get it sorted out in your garage. Or throw it in a box my way and I'll sort it in my free time and document my process.
Harpo
Thanks Mark I will try the hone (it was cheap) and let you know

David
Harpo
Is there a member with a six that that is willing to send their reinforcement "washer" to McMark so he can have these laser cut

Click to view attachment

peteyd
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 14 2017, 01:21 PM) *

Is there a member with a six that that is willing to send their reinforcement "washer" to McMark so he can have these laser cut

Click to view attachment

I have this piece and also a laser.

I can work on this and sell it with the other stamped piece.

Pete
McMark
Awesome Pete. I was gonna run with it, but you're way more set up to deal with it.
jim_hoyland
Installed the Jeff Hines left-side ignition kit.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 15 2017, 12:06 PM) *

Pete

I want one of each, set them aside for me for when we bring you your seat. biggrin.gif
SixerJ
That's my support ring in the photo and bought it last year via Mittlemotor at the time it was still available

Pete, for any reason if you can't find yours / NLA I would be happy to post over
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 15 2017, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 15 2017, 12:06 PM) *

Pete

I want one of each, set them aside for me for when we bring you your seat. biggrin.gif

Pete - I'll take 2 spacers. Thanks, mark
Harpo
That is awesome Pete I will take one also. Please let me know when they are ready

Yes I borrowed sixerj photo to help emphasize my point
peteyd
Here is the preliminary drawing. In the next couple days I will cut one out on the laser and see how it matches up to the OEM piece.

Pete

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 16 2017, 10:57 AM) *

Here is the preliminary drawing. In the next couple days I will cut one out on the laser and see how it matches up to the OEM piece.

Pete

Click to view attachment

Please add me to the list; I will order 1
eric914
Me too:)
type47fan
Nothing really constructive to add here . . . just found these pictures of a set up I had, at one time, from a '71/6.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
peteyd
I cut out the shim today.

It fits on the ignition nicely and matches up the original piece nice as well.
Next week I will cut them out of the proper gauge steel.

Pete

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Harpo
Good afternoon Pete,

Is there any chance you would consider making the "washer" a little thicker?

Thanks

David

QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 16 2017, 09:57 AM) *

Pete

Click to view attachment

peteyd
Originally the thickness is .035"

What do people want? I have material that is .045" and .032" It will be cut out of galvaneel steel, which wont rust so there is no need to paint it. It also polishes up pretty nice with some scotch brite

I can cut either thickness, but I don't want to cut both.

Pete
SixerJ
QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 18 2017, 12:07 AM) *

What do people want? I have material that is .045" and .032" It will be cut out of galvaneel steel, which wont rust so there is no need to paint it. It also polishes up pretty nice with some scotch brite

Pete

Pete, I would be really tempted to do it out of the thicker material. My new one I recall is very thin and yours looks like it has pulled up in where it has bolted up. I can't see that it's going to make a difference in mounting up, clearance with the plastic escutcheon etc

Thanks for doing this BTW and demonstrates exactly why this site and members are great beerchug.gif
tweet
For those that have requested a thicker gauge metal, this may have been deliberate by Porsche. I've had a few of these and some customers' as well. When they distort they are very easily flattened back with a standard hammer and a flat surface and are good to go.

Don't forget that this is a malleable fixing plate to install the heavy unbalanced 911 style ignition. The weight and design of this ignition, and the way these older cars go down the road make the ignition move a lot even when properly installed. I think the thinner gauge and softness of the metal are supposed to behave more like a crush washer so the plate takes the impact and vibration from daily driving, instead of the soft threads of the mounting holes in the zinc casting of the steering lock housing.

This is just my opinion and reasoning. Then again maybe Porsche just cheapened out, but I would rather save the threads and have the plate give out, not the $950 ignition assembly.

Harpo
Because you have the .045 in stock that would be my vote.

A class 8.8 M6 bolt requires a minimum 9.6mm of threads of engagement. There are 18mm of available threads in the lock. Therefore with a 20mm long bolt the risk of damaging the threads in the lock are minimal. I under stand tweet's post it is a very expensive part.

I have found a suitable black pan head screw and I have extras if anyone want some for their clone or real left side ignition. If interested please send me a PM

David
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 17 2017, 04:07 PM) *

Pete
Harpo
If the u joints are the same between the 914 & 914-6 then why wont my 911 steering shaft slide on to my U joint? I can't find any burrs or damage and it will slide on to my 914 steering shaft?

Click to view attachment
peteyd
We finished cutting out the shims today.

They are cut from .045" thick material.

They will be sold with the dash depression piece I already make. If you want to buy one separately they will be $8. they are not on the website yet, so if you're dying to get one fast, then call and ask for Pete

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Cool! shades.gif
mb911
Awesome I want one for sure.
Harpo
Me too agree.gif
jkb944t
That is great news since I'll need one too. I just wish it would have happened a couple of weeks ago when I ordered my dash depression piece.

Jeff B
peteyd
I will bring a handful to Hershey if that helps anybody.

Pete
Larmo63
I think I'm missing the outer bearing. That seems to be easily sourced(?) Will the '73 /4 steering column shaft fit into this? It would allow me to use the later wheel which seems to be more available. Also, the lower circlip, any body have/source those? The one that holds the inner bearing in?

This is all that came in the box.... confused24.gif

Here's where I'm at so far, and I'm just going to use that early ignition switch because I don't care so much about originality and which key it uses. Will the /6 plastic bezel screw onto my early switch? Anybody?

Click to view attachment
jkb944t
The electrical connections for the ignition switch and the wiper/turn signal stalks are obviously very different when converting to the 911 column.

Does anyone have a chart with the pinout locations?

Jeff B
mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 21 2017, 08:04 AM) *

I will bring a handful to Hershey if that helps anybody.

Pete

Yes. I'll pick up a couple from you then. Thanks
jim_hoyland
I want one too; anyone in So Cal ordering one ? I'd like to combine an order...
sb914
Wondering? what are the benefits of this mod? Converting to let side
McMark
QUOTE(sb914 @ Mar 22 2017, 08:11 AM) *

Cool factor goes through the roof.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Mar 22 2017, 04:52 AM) *

The electrical connections for the ignition switch and the wiper/turn signal stalks are obviously very different when converting to the 911 column.

Does anyone have a chart with the pinout locations?

Jeff B

I did a pin-out ID for the Ignition Switch; will take a pic and post later
Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 22 2017, 05:06 AM) *

I will take one if you are ordering one. We can split the shipping cost.
Harpo
This is all that I have been able to find so far
Click to view attachment
Harpo
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 21 2017, 02:14 PM) *

I think I'm missing the outer bearing. That seems to be easily sourced(?) Will the '73 /4 steering column shaft fit into this? It would allow me to use the later wheel which seems to be more available. Also, the lower circle, any body have/source those? The one that holds the inner bearing in?

This is all that came in the box.... confused24.gif

Here's where I'm at so far, and I'm just going to use that early switch because I don't care so much about originality and which key it uses. Will the /6 plastic bezel screw onto my early switch? Anybody?

Click to view attachment

The lower bearing is held in place with "C" clips. The upper bearing that you have already installed has a slight interference fit. I believe that the steering wheel fits in there and removed all of the play. I believe the lower bearing is the same between 914/914/6 and 911.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 22 2017, 08:50 AM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ Mar 22 2017, 08:11 AM) *

Cool factor goes through the roof.

If you're doing a /6 conversion it makes it a little more authentic, true to what Porsche did. You don't have to do it, really it's just cosmetic.

But like Mark said...cool. shades.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 22 2017, 06:29 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 22 2017, 05:06 AM) *

I will take one if you are ordering one. We can split the shipping cost.

Great, lets see whether Larmo, Forrest, or ? want to order too.... smile.gif
Larmo63
QUOTE(sb914 @ Mar 22 2017, 05:11 AM) *

Faster starts at Le Mans.....? driving.gif
Harpo
agree.gif
jkb944t
Cool factor for sure plus faster Le Mans starts! first.gif
Larmo63
Now, back to business, will a stock /4 steering shaft work inside of this column if I'm not going to use the lock mechanism?
mb911
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 22 2017, 09:19 AM) *

Now, back to business, will a stock /4 steering shaft work inside of this column if I'm not going to use the lock mechanism?

Oh that would be perfect.
Harpo
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 22 2017, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 22 2017, 09:19 AM) *

Oh that would be perfect.

agree.gif
SixerJ
Lawrence, circlips are availiable from OPC, stoddard etc

I don't get the 35x1.5 dim, could swear the tube is bigger than that, should be cheap as chips if you can find a non Porsche source

Positive the late -4 column uses the same clip

http://www.stoddard.com/90004200800.html

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.