Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Left Side Ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
SixerJ
QUOTE(Harpo @ Mar 22 2017, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 21 2017, 02:14 PM) *

I think I'm missing the outer bearing. That seems to be easily sourced(?) Will the '73 /4 steering column shaft fit into this? It would allow me to use the later wheel which seems to be more available. Also, the lower circle, any body have/source those? The one that holds the inner bearing in?

This is all that came in the box.... confused24.gif

Here's where I'm at so far, and I'm just going to use that early switch because I don't care so much about originality and which key it uses. Will the /6 plastic bezel screw onto my early switch? Anybody?

Click to view attachment

The lower bearing is held in place with "C" clips. The upper bearing that you have already installed has a slight interference fit. I believe that the steering wheel fits in there and removed all of the play. I believe the lower bearing is the same between 914/914/6 and 911.

-4 column parts, same bearing
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 22 2017, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Mar 22 2017, 04:52 AM) *

The electrical connections for the ignition switch and the wiper/turn signal stalks are obviously very different when converting to the 911 column.

Does anyone have a chart with the pinout locations?

Jeff B

I did a pin-out ID for the Ignition Switch; will take a pic and post later

Yes Please! That would be awesome! pray.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 22 2017, 01:19 PM) *

Now, back to business, will a stock /4 steering shaft work inside of this column if I'm not going to use the lock mechanism?

Doesn't Post 100 in this thread answer that question. wink.gif Just like I said... tongue.gif
Larmo63
"They appear interchangeable."

I just want to be sure before I buy an extra /4 shaft.

Anybody got a spare FS?

shades.gif
McMark
Traced out one of my 911 ignition harnesses today. I'll try to keep adding these one at a time cause it's a tedious process. Next time I'll add to this spreadsheet showing where these wires would go on a 914.
914forme
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 23 2017, 11:24 AM) *

"They appear interchangeable."

I just want to be sure before I buy an extra /4 shaft.

Anybody got a spare FS?

shades.gif

Yeah, I have a box of them, just PM me if your serious, or Bruce does not have one. shades.gif
jim_hoyland
Got a question: how much room behind the dash to accommodate the electrical plug? Seems like it's going to interfere with the fuse panel ?
McMark
Don't know exactly, but it worked in the 914-6. wink.gif
Harpo
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 23 2017, 11:20 AM) *

Got a question: how much room behind the dash to accommodate the electrical plug? Seems like it's going to interfere with the fuse panel ?

I will not have that problem as mine are quite short
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Thanks, Stephen.

Sent you a pm.
Harpo
I will be most likely using a 914 shaft as well. My 911 shaft will not fit on my "U" joint

David
SixerJ
Just in case it is useful to someone else, I've posted up some dims as requested by Jeff B's thread ref alternative column tube ideas here

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2471528

I'm going to try and get one of the CAD guys at work to work up a dimensioned drawing of the welded on flat -6 plate, which should work for the early -4 cars (I'm not sure of the differences between the early and late welded in chassis column bracket thingamabob but guessing an early -4 and -6 have the same bracket)

May take a while to get the drawings done as work is super busy, once I have it done I will post
Mark Henry
I think dflesburg meant for this to go into this thread shades.gif

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 13 2017, 07:18 AM) *

IPB Image

here is the picture you requested for the ignition
mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 23 2017, 11:53 AM) *

Traced out one of my 911 ignition harnesses today. I'll try to keep adding these one at a time cause it's a tedious process. Next time I'll add to this spreadsheet showing where these wires would go on a 914.

Thank you!
Harpo
Here is my new LH igntion dash after powder coat. The plastic ignition switch bezel was a little rough so I turned down a 911 bezel to fit
Click to view attachment
Harpo
Dan rekeyed the ignition switch to match everything else.

Click to view attachment
McMark
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 22 2017, 01:19 PM) *

Now, back to business, will a stock /4 steering shaft work inside of this column if I'm not going to use the lock mechanism?

Reviving this old thread with new info...

Regarding Larmo63's questions about putting a 914 shaft into a 911 column housing. The lower bearing is exactly the same (as pointed out by SixerJ), and the shaft lengths are the same (as pointed out by Harpo). I tested the install with some spare parts I have here. It all went together just like it should.

The only part that I'm still unsure about is why you would do this. The column I'm testing with has the same spline on both the 911 and 914 shafts, so swapping would accomplish nothing. The 914 column is from a 72. I don't know the year of the 911 shaft, but it's the 'long' version.
mepstein
The splines on all 914’s and early 911’s are the same but mid year 914 - 72 and later use a slightly different shaft that fits the steering wheel differently. That’s why all the 914 steering wheels that end in 11 are for 72-76. They aren’t a perfect fit in early 914’s or 911’s. It will work but ...
jkb944t
agree.gif As McMark mentioned I am not sure what the advantage is to using the 914 shaft instead of the 911 shaft. I realize that you aren't using the locking feature but if you wanted to at some point the 914 shaft can easily be modified.

You would just need to cut the locking tabs off of the 914 shaft and move them down by three inches from where they originally were mounted as shown below.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.