Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And so it begins ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
McMark
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 28 2019, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 28 2019, 12:20 PM) *

Gettin' drastic.... w00t.gif

The driver side long was straighter, but still bent. And that became really evident when I cut into it and all the stress released. Practically popped from the bound up stress.
Floor pans weren't terrible either, except by the time I patched all the little rust spots I might as well do the whole thing. Plus I can clean and check inside the center tunnel.

It's pretty amazing how solid everything else is though. Not a bit of wobble or mobility to either half of the car. I wub.gif my Celette bench.

Good thing we had that straightening party... lol-2.gif

Seems that way for sure. But really that helped a ton. I'm pretty dang happy that this is all I have to deal with. What Andy and Yeoman put into this car already was the hard part. This part is relatively easy.... I said relatively! lol-2.gif
Bleyseng
progress!!!!!!!!!!
McMark
Cleared out the last remnants of the longs. There's quite a bit of minor straightening to do on the right side. I might cut out the bent up dash section next week. I suspect there's quite a bit of stress hiding there. And fitting up the replacement panel may illuminate a few more alignment issues. We'll see.
SirAndy
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif
McMark
That’s satisfying. drunk.gif
SirAndy
Nice!
smilie_pokal.gif
Luke M
popcorn[1].gif shades.gif
horizontally-opposed
It is so cool to see this car making a comeback–and the metal in the door areas, both A- and B-pillar suggests that it's a much better starting point than some restorations we've seen.
914_teener
QUOTE(McMark @ May 30 2019, 11:50 AM) *

Is that a Notch I see framed through the door bracing Mr. Mark?
rhodyguy
BMW.
McMark
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 11 2019, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 30 2019, 11:50 AM) *

Is that a Notch I see framed through the door bracing Mr. Mark?

1973 BMW 2002 - 2003 S2000 motor/trans swap running stock Honda injection, fully integrated wiring. Custom lowering front and rear. Custom front valence. blah blah blah shades.gif
http://www.originalcustoms.com/invoice/images.php?p=175

IPB Image
IPB Image
McMark
Another aspect Celette didn’t consider with the MZ towers. The rear pinch clamps don’t reach. So I had some 3/4” plate laser cut to extend the clamp forwards.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 11 2019, 12:29 PM) *
Another aspect Celette didn’t consider with the MZ towers. The rear pinch clamps don’t reach. So I had some 3/4” plate laser cut to extend the clamp forwards.

Sorry you have to go through all that crap with Celette ...
sad.gif
McMark
The first bit of new metal! boldblue.gif

Click to view attachment

Got your PM, Andy. Will respond tomorrow afternoon. Time to head home... beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 18 2019, 02:48 PM) *
Got your PM, Andy. Will respond tomorrow afternoon. Time to head home... beer.gif

beerchug.gif

Cairo94507
There is nothing like seeing the new stuff go on and watching the chassis/body transform into a great Six. Seeing all of the old, twisted, rusted, bent metal is very depressing so this is very welcome. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 19 2019, 10:13 AM) *

There is nothing like seeing the new stuff go on and watching the chassis/body transform into a great Six. Seeing all of the old, twisted, rusted, bent metal is very depressing so this is very welcome. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

agree.gif ,was really a bent up mess that will soon to be a straight tidy shell,wow this thread is going to be a truly epic build ,so watching it for updates popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif .
mepstein
A lot of work and $ for a serial number but I appreciate the passion. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 18 2019, 07:47 PM) *

A lot of work and $ for a serial number but I appreciate the passion. beerchug.gif

So far, it's less than 1/10th of what i have in my /4 and that one still looks like crap ...
shades.gif
Cairo94507
Oh, don't worry.... that is going to change. beerchug.gif
McMark
Moved on to the front end. We have a cut section from another car to swap in. The right fender well is gonna need a lot of massaging to bring back into place. This will give me access, and as I mentioned previously, fitting the new piece will illustrate any minor misalignment.

More work to do here, but the next big step will be fitting the new longitudinals.
SirAndy
unsure.gif
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2019, 02:56 PM) *

unsure.gif

I get a little wave of anxiety every time you post that emoji. I better start making it look like more of a car soon so you can post happier emojis. smash.gif welder.gif
Cairo94507
SirAndy has nothing to worry about - but I do understand the anxiety. I am quite certain McMark has got this. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2019, 12:02 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 26 2019, 02:56 PM) *

unsure.gif
I get a little wave of anxiety every time you post that emoji. I better start making it look like more of a car soon so you can post happier emojis. smash.gif welder.gif

It's all good. I knew that section had to go (i'm the one who got the replacement panel), but it still feels rather weird seeing this all cut out like that.

beerchug.gif

Krieger
Definitely a great case of while I'm in there! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif evilgrin.gif
sixnotfour
the center tunnel is a bit out of spec, popcorn[1].gif

beerchug.gif
burton73
Andy,

Are you going to take the drive train out of your red car and put it in this 6?

Bob B
McMark
Little more progress. Got a few small wrinkles worked out of the center tunnel.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Also built a measuring device (I've since learned it's called a tram gauge) to check measurements left to right or from my purple car to Andy's 6. So I made a few adjustment tweaks to pull the front shock towers into alignment.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
914Sixer
Great to see it progressing the right way.
Luke M
icon_bump.gif

@McMark

Mark,

Could you post a few pics of the front upper strut and front suspension fixtures ?

I purchased a bench and need to figure out the front fixture portion of it.

TIA

Larmo63
Andy is posting better emojis too!!!
Superhawk996
I look at this thread when I feel overwhelmed by my project. rolleyes.gif

Nice work going on and at the end of the day another 914/6 will be saved. piratenanner.gif
FourBlades

How is this car coming along?

It is great that you are saving it. first.gif

I understand that the 914 limo is probably holding it up. happy11.gif

Just kidding, my other 914 project is going on 10 years in (slow) progress now.

John
McMark
Yeah, I'm still alive...

Built a lot of jigs, measured a lot, and scratched my head a lot trying to make sure everything will line up where it needs to go. Finally got to the part where I start putting metal back into place. And guess what I learned? This inner long piece is about 0.25" shorter than the original. dry.gif

Gotta figure out how I'm gonna deal with this. Maybe there's another brand, or maybe I'll CAD one up and have my CNC lasercut & bending shop make me a custom one. head_hurts_kr.gif
Cairo94507
I have been waiting to see some progress pictures of Andy's Six. Nice to see some new metal going on. That is a huge thing in a build. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 13 2020, 03:28 PM) *
This inner long piece is about 0.25" shorter than the original. dry.gif

headbang.gif

Krieger
blink.gif Dude, glad to see you post!
euro911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2020, 04:38 PM) *
headbang.gif
sad.gif

Is it an 'R-D' piece? confused24.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 13 2020, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2020, 04:38 PM) *
headbang.gif
sad.gif

Is it an 'R-D' piece? confused24.gif

Pretty sure that's a AA piece. I had that same piece and then purchased the long section from Germany. It's a repo to the factory part but it was also shorter.
I finally found the right factory section for my 6 repair. It's not gonna be an easy fix. As Mark has stated lots of measuring. I recently purchased a set of 914 chassis fixtures which should help in fixing my 6.

Mark, when I was looking at using that long section from AA I found a few problems with it. The seat belt mount location was off, hot air tube hole was way too small, and needed a lot of fitting to fit proper. Hope it works out.
McMark
Mark, when I was looking at using that long section from AA I found a few problems with it. The seat belt mount location was off, hot air tube hole was way too small, and needed a lot of fitting to fit proper. Hope it works out.

Sounds like we're talking about the same part. That's my complaint list too.

Got started on the drawing, but found out the front of the long is shorter than the back to accommodate the 'rise' in the floor pan. Duh. But I'm asking the shop if they can make bends this close together. If not, I'll have to make it flat like the other repro parts. Or something else I have in the back of my mind. ph34r.gif
Luke M
Here's a link to what I was dealing with.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...87820&st=20

I sold both pieces when I found the factory part.
I can dig my factory long out and take measurements if you need some.
sixnotfour
AHHH,, I see...Cant really tell if the HESS part has it,,but it does have more correct stamping... pinch weld is straight regardless
Lg914
The restoration design part has the same flaws. It isn’t quite the correct size and the front heater tube hole is not even close to being the proper size. But we have to make do.
McMark
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 15 2020, 01:09 AM) *
pinch weld is straight regardless
Damn, good catch. Hmmm.... unsure.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE(Lg914 @ Jul 15 2020, 07:15 AM) *
The restoration design part has the same flaws.
I'm confident the part R-D sells is not made by them, but likely AA or the same people. If R-D makes their own version, I expect it will be massively better.
McMark
CNC shop called and said this design is totally fine. So after adding the last few features, I think this is the final -- unless someone else can see something I missed.
sixnotfour
I have cherry used one for my wreck.....But, how many, how much ? L & R ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 15 2020, 02:43 PM) *
unless someone else can see something I missed.

Give it some extra on the rounded end so you can bend it up to create the flange?
idea.gif

peteyd
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 15 2020, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 15 2020, 01:09 AM) *
pinch weld is straight regardless
Damn, good catch. Hmmm.... unsure.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE(Lg914 @ Jul 15 2020, 07:15 AM) *
The restoration design part has the same flaws.
I'm confident the part R-D sells is not made by them, but likely AA or the same people. If R-D makes their own version, I expect it will be massively better.

I will confirm that although we resell both items, left and right, neither are our stampings.

Hess stamps the drvr side and AA is the passenger side.

Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.