Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And so it begins ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
ConeDodger
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 17 2016, 10:09 PM) *

Have you guys discussed an appx completion date?

av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
McMark
I have a new workflow that I'm optimistic about. Shooting for June.

Got a call from the driver today. 8 AM tomorrow. boldblue.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 20 2016, 02:14 PM) *

June? Is there a year attached to that?
SirAndy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 20 2016, 03:27 PM) *

lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 20 2016, 08:27 PM) *

Well to be fair, he left Sonoma with a shitload of work and he's pretty much knocked it all out. So... evilgrin.gif
McMark
beerchug.gif
McMark
So tiny. wub.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 20 2016, 10:15 PM) *

Well to be fair, he left Sonoma with a shitload of work and he's pretty much knocked it all out. So... evilgrin.gif

Less distractions. biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2016, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 20 2016, 10:15 PM) *

Less distractions. biggrin.gif

Exactly... shades.gif
SixerJ
That is a way better sight than Santa's Sleigh
McMark
Inside
Kaeferfreund
Well, the body seems to have the best base colour for a great project Andy!

YPAF aktion035.gif

Good luck!

SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif

PS: What's all that white stuff on the ground?
confused24.gif
gms
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2016, 12:44 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

PS: What's all that white stuff on the ground?
confused24.gif

Don't tell the DEA, we have tons of it up here biggrin.gif
Eddie914
HAPPY HOLIDAY!

DO NOT open until XMas.
Larmo63
This will be a fun project to watch unfold!

Next year's Christmas present to yourself, Andy?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 21 2016, 11:05 AM) *
Next year's Christmas present to yourself, Andy?

idea.gif
sixnotfour
I bet that CA 914-6 saw more weather on the transport, then it had in its life time..safe and sound in Wisconsin ??
oops Michigan dry.gif
6freak
whats with the 4 lug hubs confused24.gif
MikeC
SirAndy
QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 21 2016, 01:52 PM) *

It rolls just fine on 4 lugs, last time i checked, you don't need 5 lugs to be able to roll a car around the shop ...
rolleyes.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 21 2016, 12:59 PM) *

I bet that CA 914-6 saw more weather on the transport, then it had in its life time..safe and sound in Wisconsin ??

Wisconsin, Michigan... They look pretty much the same at 33,000 feet.
6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2016, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 21 2016, 01:52 PM) *

It rolls just fine on 4 lugs, last time i checked, you don't need 5 lugs to be able to roll a car around the shop ...
rolleyes.gif

and 4 lug hubs..a bit puzzling but I figured it out biggrin.gif ..good idea for transport and rolling around in the shop...Looking forward to the end... and dont go red laugh.gif

santa_smiley.gif

whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif
sawzall-smiley.gif
McMark
Work started on some of the beginning stages today. First some overall shots to record what we're starting with.
McMark
Cleared all the tar off the floor to see what we're working with. I'm actually REALLY surprised how good the floors are. Since the chassis was sitting outside in the weather for years, I would have expected more holes. This is the sort of experience that reinforces my understanding that rust is not the voracious predator everyone seems to think it is. Just because a car gets wet doesn't mean it'll rust away in a year. I'm considering keeping these pans and just patching a few small areas..
SirAndy
piratenanner.gif
euro911
Good news thumb3d.gif

McMark
Continuing prep for putting the car up on the Celette bench. Trying to remove as much 'bad' metal as I can now. I had wanted to put off media blasting the car, but now I'm thinking it might be better to go ahead and get it done now. idea.gif

I opened up the PS rear fender because of the rust holes, and I think I'm going to open up all the areas that rust from the seam sealer/foam. It's the best way to get all that crap out, and chances are they're rusty on the back side, so if they're not showing now, they will in the future. Nows the time to nip it in the bud.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Also removed the rear section of the front PS fender. The door pillar is tweaked and rusted. So I'll need to replace that. I had a spare panel for that, but it must have gotten tossed in the move. Anyone have a PS door pillar or a car they're cutting up?
McMark
Oh, I removed the fiberglass GT flares as well. Looks like there'll be plenty of material left to install the steel flares.
McMark
Finally, removed the rusty engine shelf, and homemade battery tray. You can see the mangled suspension ear at the bottom of the second photo.
ConeDodger
Lots of parts still back behind your old shop. Want me to check if the door piilar is still there?
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2017, 02:16 PM) *
The door pillar is tweaked and rusted. So I'll need to replace that. I had a spare panel for that, but it must have gotten tossed in the move. Anyone have a PS door pillar or a car they're cutting up?

Ahem, that was inside the car when it left CA ...
shades.gif
Gunn1
Looking good

A few questions.....why does the car have the ignition mounted on the steering column (looks like) instead of the dash, a six thing

And aren't true sixes more valuable/desirable in their stock form? I.E. No flares, original color and so on..

Either way, I'm sure it will be a great six when you are done with it.

Thanks for sharing the build with us.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2017, 08:01 PM) *

The door pillar is tweaked and rusted. So I'll need to replace that. I had a spare panel for that, but it must have gotten tossed in the move. Anyone have a PS door pillar or a car they're cutting up?

shades.gif

Oh! Wasn't I supposed to take that out? biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Jan 3 2017, 03:25 PM) *
A few questions.....why does the car have the ignition mounted on the steering column (looks like) instead of the dash, a six thing
And aren't true sixes more valuable/desirable in their stock form? I.E. No flares, original color and so on..

As stated already, i bought this as a bare shell with no parts.
None, nothing, nada, zilch

In order to make it a roller, i bought cheap used /4 suspension parts, which included the steering bits.

Because it really doesn't matter where you have a non-working ignition switch while you push the car around the shop.
rolleyes.gif
horizontally-opposed

If a car is still original, yes. If it is restored, perhaps. But one very nice thing about the Porsche hobby as opposed to the Ferrari or Corvette hobbies is that hot rods are accepted and even valued equally if they are true to form and done to a high level. Even color changes are accepted if the work is done well enough.

So, Andy has a blank canvas—and I have no idea if value enters his equation. I am sure fun does, and they are not mutually exclusive. A very well done, period-correct GT conversion (like Eric Shea's) would have significant value here and abroad as an events (rally, vintage race, etc) car, and be a lot of fun until it's time to sell. Andy already has a 3.6 hot rod, so I am very curious to see what he does with this.

But there is no wrong answer—for here is a 914-6 that might've been lost if not for him. I still remember the first day of its revival a long time back. So cool to see it continuing on that journey.
euro911
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2017, 02:26 PM) *
Finally, removed the rusty engine shelf, and homemade battery tray. You can see the mangled suspension ear at the bottom of the second photo.
Click to view attachment
That's exactly what my battery tray looked like in the 'BB' when I acquired it. It's hanging on my 'Wall of Shame' now, along with a bunch of other PO fuch-ups that have been remedied over the years shades.gif

Garold probably has some metal clips if you don't find them locally confused24.gif
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2017, 06:01 PM) *

shades.gif

Nope. The 'firewall' and a couple seat belt mount sections were in there. But the pillar came off of Birgit's car and never made it out of the Sonoma shop.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 3 2017, 04:11 PM) *
But the pillar car of Birgit's car and never made it out of the Sonoma shop.

Dang, i thought for sure there was a blue-ish pillar in the pile ...
idea.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2017, 05:41 PM) *

As stated already, i bought this as a bare shell with no parts.
None, nothing, nada, zilch

In order to make it a roller, i bought cheap used /4 suspension parts, which included the steering bits.

Because it really doesn't matter where you have a non-working ignition switch while you push the car around the shop.
rolleyes.gif

I hear ya. Makes perfect sense to me.

How did you vet the car (make sure it's a true six) if it basically came devoid of any parts but the shell?
McMark
The VIN. rolleyes.gif
Chris H.
I bet Garold could help you with a pillar. He usually has a couple of parts cars on hand. He seems to find pretty nice early interior stuff too.

Krieger
piratenanner.gif I'm so glad this project is rolling! The tub looks to be in decent shape.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 3 2017, 04:53 PM) *
I bet Garold could help you with a pillar. He usually has a couple of parts cars on hand. He seems to find pretty nice early interior stuff too.

Would that be Garold The Shaffer?
idea.gif

QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 3 2017, 05:00 PM) *
The tub looks to be in decent shape.

If you're far enough away, yes ...
rolleyes.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Gunn1 @ Jan 3 2017, 04:25 PM) *
How did you vet the car (make sure it's a true six) if it basically came devoid of any parts but the shell?

Devoid of parts yes, but not devoid of a title or matching VIN numbers ...
shades.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2017, 07:04 PM) *

idea.gif

Yep. He can tell you when the next "harvest" is. I need a couple of small rear trunk patches myself actually idea.gif .
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2017, 07:04 PM) *

idea.gif

QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 3 2017, 05:00 PM) *
The tub looks to be in decent shape.

If you're far enough away, yes ...
rolleyes.gif

beer.gif sawzall-smiley.gif I have the passenger side door hinge area. PMing you Andy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 3 2017, 07:17 PM) *
PMing you Andy.

Responded ...
beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 3 2017, 03:55 PM) *
I still remember the first day of its revival a long time back. So cool to see it continuing on that journey.

bye1.gif

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
Andy doing a little prep work tonight to get ready for cutting the door pillar donor for you and well what I thought was tar once removed revealed this mad.gif This pillar area is solid until the last 8 inches or so. mad.gif

I have two more rollers outside (under covers) that I will check in the morning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.