Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123 Distributor Group Buy Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
mgphoto
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2017, 01:01 PM) *

I thought if it had 'hardcoded advance curves" a vacuum can for advance/retard would be redundant and unnecessary. My stock '74 2.0L does not have a vacuum advance, only retard, but the 73 2.0L has an advance.

Does this 123 dizzy for stock D-jet provide the advance/retard functions to replace the vacuum can?

Single vacuum port, if I have it correct the '74 D-Jet retard port only should connect to the dizzy vacuum port and switch set to B.
'73 advance port connects to dizzy and switch set to #1.
But I could be wrong.

Click to view attachment
pete000
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Oct 19 2017, 07:38 AM) *

Would the GB include the /6 distributor? Anybody use one for a 2.4 / 2.7 / 3.0?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I also have a friend with a Fiat that would probably buy if the discount could apply.
pete000
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 19 2017, 08:25 AM) *

Sorry that project and gam-gam have to wait, I'm in the middle of a paint cycle.

Click to view attachment

That looks familiar! welder.gif
914_teener

I thought if it had 'hardcoded advance curves" a vacuum can for advance/retard would be redundant and unnecessary. My stock '74 2.0L does not have a vacuum advance, only retard, but the 73 2.0L has an advance.

Does this 123 dizzy for stock D-jet provide the advance/retard functions to replace the vacuum can?

This is a great question and I had paid it particular attention.

Brad Anders addressed the stock functional characteristics last year to his web page. The change came in 74 apparently.

I am assuming.....and that is a BIG word that the vacuum porting is for the retard function.

It also matters which port that pipes to rhe dizzy. Retard ports are in a different location as noted in your drawing Jeff.

I need to also make this confirmation as well as the TB I have is a 74. I think I.m going to call Ed about this. I am curious if those that have one on Djet set up on stock system alteady can answer this?

914_teener
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 19 2017, 02:15 PM) *

Single vacuum port, if I have it correct the '74 D-Jet retard port only should connect to the dizzy vacuum port and switch set to B.
But I could be wrong.

Click to view attachment

Yes you could be.
mgphoto
[/quote]
But I could be wrong.

[/quote]

Yes you could be.
[/quote]

From the install manual.

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 19 2017, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 19 2017, 08:25 AM) *

Sorry that project and gam-gam have to wait, I'm in the middle of a paint cycle.

Click to view attachment

That looks familiar! welder.gif

Blocked and shot with sealer, tomorrow color.
Thanks pete000

Mike
914_teener
[quote name='mgphoto' date='Oct 19 2017, 03:39 PM' post='2539516']
[/quote]
But I could be wrong.

[/quote]

Yes you could be.
[/quote]

From the install manual.

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

So for the benifit of the other readers what year is your D-jet system and what vacum port did you tap for the 123 Dizzy.

Can you post picture of the distributor installed and leave the hood on another thread please?

Thanks.
rhodyguy
Who ever installed stratplayer's (Jim) should know the details. Does the 123 take the MPS out of the equation?
914_teener
No Kevin,

Trigger points and vacuum advance can. Two NLA items.

Good idea. Jims is a stock 74 IIRC?
914_teener
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2017, 12:23 PM) *

So for the D-Jet model, am I to understand that:

"Hardcoded advance curves with no vacuum, no bluetooth, with output for D-Jet This is the unit to choose for stock D-Jet users."

This means no more need for the NLA vacuum can and the advance/retard ports it would connect to on the throttle body can be capped off? This is also a replacement solution for the trigger points.

Si? Please confirm.

What mechanism exactly replaces the trigger points and is it electronic or mechanical (can it wear out)? Can these dizzys be repaired/rebuilt/serviced either DIY or by sending back the the mfr?

If so, this sounds like a great solution for the HTF/NLA trigger points and vacuum cans.

There would be no reason now to replace D-jet injection because of HTF /non-existent parts. All wear parts are available MPS, trigger points, injectors, harnesses, sensors.

Yes Jeff.

Here is the answer I got from Ed on the tempeture question and the vacuum port question:

On the switch model there are five curves that have vacuum advance and five curves that have vacuum retard.
It modulates the vacuum curve when a hose is hooked up to the device. If there's no vacuum it doesn't change the Curve.
The 95 degrees has not been a problem with any other VW or Porsche applications.

I.m getting it.
StratPlayer
Mine is a 76 D Jet, 2056. The install was easy just follow the install instructions and it will be easy. I will take some pics of my setup tomorrow and post them. We set the curve on my setup to 4. Car runs like a raped ape.
914_teener
.....oh yea it uses a Hall Effect sensor to trigger the injectors from what I was told.
914_teener
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 19 2017, 05:05 PM) *

Mine is a 76 D Jet, 2056. The install was easy just follow the install instructions and it will be easy. I will take some pics of my setup tomorrow and post them. We set the curve on my setup to 4. Car runs like a raped ape.

Thanks Jim.
StratPlayer
Here is the dizzy that I'm using. When it was installed a new blue coil was installed with it.
https://www.123ignitionshop.com/gb/porsche/...he4rvieset.html
914_teener
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 19 2017, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Oct 19 2017, 07:38 AM) *

Would the GB include the /6 distributor? Anybody use one for a 2.4 / 2.7 / 3.0?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I also have a friend with a Fiat that would probably buy if the discount could apply.

Can.t answer for -6 but the discount for any other model would apply to the discount for three weeks Pete.
Amphicar770
I will go for one. Just need to make sure that t his is the correct (and only) option for my 1974 2.0, completely stock???

http://123ignitionusa.com/porsche-912-914-...ncludes-spacer/
bandjoey
Can someone explain the Bluetooth part? What does it do and how does it effect the motor or drive Ability?
jd74914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 19 2017, 09:09 PM) *

Can someone explain the Bluetooth part? What does it do and how does it effect the motor or drive Ability?

It's so you can custom tune your advance curve rather than use the preset curves, something that could be useful with a non-stock motor or if you like fine tuning. If you're not the kind of person who is going to fiddle with your exact ignition timing and just want a more reliable, modern components it's really not necessary.
JeffBowlsby
I found the manual for these and it has a list of the advance curve presets and comparable stock dizzys but...didn't see one listed for my stock 74 2.0L 205A dizzy. What to do?
mgphoto
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2017, 08:39 PM) *

I found the manual for these and it has a list of the advance curve presets and comparable stock dizzys but...didn't see one listed for my stock 74 2.0L 205A dizzy. What to do?

The 205A is Bosch # 0231 174 011 with retard only throttle body for '74. Switch position B according to the install manual page I posted earlier.
JeffBowlsby
Aha! They used the Bosch PN. Muchas gracias...
euro911
OK, building up my wife's 71 1.7L motor to a 1.9L, keeping the stock D-jet system. I don't remember if the OEM distributor had a vacuum can on it or not ... guess I'd better locate it and take a peek.

I'm tentatively in, pending verification of which model # I'll need (vacuum option or not) confused24.gif
BeatNavy
Placed my order this morning. Coupon code "914World" wasn't working last night but it is this morning.

Looking forward to dialing the curve to the "raped ape" setting smile.gif

Thanks again for getting this going, Rob.
DRPHIL914
So I have a 75 2.0 but with a TB from a 73, I guess its the same non-blue tooth model, I just select the proper setting depending on whether or not I have the advance, retard or both? I have both on mine....
nditiz1
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 20 2017, 04:12 AM) *

Placed my order this morning. Coupon code "914World" wasn't working last night but it is this morning.

Looking forward to dialing the curve to the "raped ape" setting smile.gif

Thanks again for getting this going, Rob.

Rob - I'm right there with ya. Just ordered opt #4 from OG post. Coupon is live for those that can't wait drooley.gif
pete000
Ordering today... smilie_pokal.gif
914_teener
Order Placed.

This will be interesting.

CMONNETT
Order Placed.
TJB/914
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 18 2017, 09:33 PM) *

I am in for one on my D-Jet F.I. engine.
Tom

I just placed my order for my 1974 914 2.0 D-Jet F.I. (Original) stock with a few internal mods.

combo=123/Porsche-4-R-V-IE distributor (injection) + coil +spark Plug wires (black) biggrin.gif

Hope I ordered the correct one for my 914.

Tom
914_teener
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 20 2017, 02:15 PM) *

Tom

I just placed my order for my 1974 914 2.0 D-Jet F.I. (Original) stock with a few internal mods.

combo=123/Porsche-4-R-V-IE distributor (injection) + coil +spark Plug wires (black) biggrin.gif

Tom

This is exactly what I am building and the same one I ordered.
TJB/914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 20 2017, 07:16 PM) *

Tom

Tom

This is exactly what I am building and the same one I order

914-teener,

Thanks for your confirmation. pray.gif I was hoping someone would comment on my concerns. It was based on our expert 914 opinions (Bowlsby-Beat Navy-Etc-Etc) to select this combo.
Hey Bowlsby I also selected black spark plug wires laugh.gif
Tom
914_teener
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 20 2017, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 20 2017, 07:16 PM) *

Tom

Tom

This is exactly what I am building and the same one I order

914-teener,

Thanks for your confirmation. pray.gif I was hoping someone would comment on my concerns. It was based on our expert 914 opinions (Bowlsby-Beat Navy-Etc-Etc) to select this combo.
Hey Bowlsby I also selected black spark plug wires laugh.gif
Tom

Well...I don't know if I'm an "expert" but I have read a lot on the curves on the stock distrubutors. Last year I had gathered what I thought was a workable distributor that I could use for a 2.0 build that will use a 74 stock D-jet setup. Turns out the distributor parts are all worn out and two ....NLA. All the other components besides the MPS were workable. Jeff Bowlsby did rebuild the MPS and it has been tested.

So after doing a LOT of reading I had decided to contact this company about their product and talked to a few members that already have it.

I want everybody to know...and I don't know how it was done...but I didn't edit my first post in this thread making the recommendations. I thoroughly read through the brochure and did contact Ed personally with several phone calls. According to my notes and conversations this is the one for a 74 D-jet system. The vacuum port is optional.

Last year Brad Anders wanted to know where the curves were published and then did a pretty good addition to his website on the history and operation of the distributors. If you haven't read it, makes for a good understanding of the advance theory and why Porsche changed it through the years. Dave Darling also published a chart on the distributors on the Bird Board. As Murphy's law would have it...I had the 205B with a question mark on the reference table. So, unknown.

What I can tell you is, that if you have a 74 D-jet setup, I have purchased the same one you have. I started the thread to save a few bucks and help others whom might be enthusiasts like me struggling to find parts for these cars and still try to emulate the stock look or performance.

I think you'll be just fine.

Rob
McMark
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 20 2017, 10:23 PM) *

I want everybody to know...and I don't know how it was done...but I didn't edit my first post in this thread making the recommendations. I thoroughly read through the brochure and did contact Ed personally with several phone calls. According to my notes and conversations this is the one for a 74 D-jet system. The vacuum port is optional.

Whoops, that was me. I thought it would be helpful to put all the info up front. Your post above has made me rethink that practice. I should have at least PM'd you. pinch.gif Sorry! sad.gif slap.gif
914_teener
It.s okay Mark....figured biggrin.gif
Bsherrard
Just placed my order for the Bluetooth model for the engine I am currently rebuilding for my 1976 Porsche 912E. It is bored and stroked to 2270 (based upon the Raby 912E engines). Hope we get to the 15% Discount!!!
Brook
Morrie
Ordered my D-Jet unit today. This will be interesting too, once we all get ours and install, to hear the various experiences.

Still not totally clear to me if I should be connecting the vac advance or retard lines, since the 76 has both, but this has to be a good step in the right direction. I will get my hands on a spare distributor clamp, and leave my original all timed and in the tool bag. That way if there are any issues (all electronic guys, functionality is usually binary, either works or doesn't) I have a spare to drop in at side of the road.

Looking forward to getting mine. Now to go count how many have ordered to see if we are going to hit the 15% number!
914_teener
QUOTE(Morrie @ Oct 21 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Ordered my D-Jet unit today. This will be interesting too, once we all get ours and install, to hear the various experiences.

Still not totally clear to me if I should be connecting the vac advance or retard lines, since the 76 has both, but this has to be a good step in the right direction. I will get my hands on a spare distributor clamp, and leave my original all timed and in the tool bag. That way if there are any issues (all electronic guys, functionality is usually binary, either works or doesn't) I have a spare to drop in at side of the road.

Looking forward to getting mine. Now to go count how many have ordered to see if we are going to hit the 15% number!

Pretty sure we have five now.

With respect to the advance or retard question read Brad Anders site and then the instruction manual.

It is interesting and will answer your question.

I will also end up with a spare distributor..."just in case".
SKL1
Just talked to Ed today- probably don't need the bluetooth option but may get it to have for the future. Just need to make sure that model has the 16 or so preset advance curves in it if I don't need or want to get "fancy" right off the bat.
Not sure I'm smart enough to use the bluetooth option anyway! smile.gif
olsib914
Ordered for my D-Jet stock Also have one for my Volvo ES
Olsib914
pete000
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 21 2017, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Morrie @ Oct 21 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Pretty sure we have five now.

With respect to the advance or retard question read Brad Anders site and then the instruction manual.

I will also end up with a spare distributor..."just in case".

That was a good read ! Thanks for sharing.
pete000
Just ordered mine, Bluetooth version for my L-Jet 1.8

Order people !, need that additional 5% !!!
Morrie
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 21 2017, 03:04 PM) *

Thanks for the good advice here. After reading Brad's page on distributors, and looking at the 123 manual again, it seems pretty clear that there are no performance advantages to connecting the vacuum retard. It was to improve emissions results, and only served to degrade performance at low speeds until the throttle was opened enough to take it out of the equation.

The 123 manual page shows that there is a single vacuum port that can be electronically configured to either provide vacuum advance (settings 1-8) or vacuum retard (settings 9-F). That probably leaves settings 1-8 as the viable options, aside from capping off the vacuum port entirely.

Thanks again for the good advice. Appreciate it!

Morrie
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 21 2017, 11:58 PM) *

Just ordered mine, Bluetooth version for my L-Jet 1.8

Order people !, need that additional 5% !!!

I count 8, maybe 9 ordered right now....... beerchug.gif
1adam12
I thought this distributor looked familiar. I ran across this 914 install a few months ago on YouTube. How's everyone's German!?
https://youtu.be/rw1FigYoozE
914_teener
Weekend Bump and Count added.

icon_bump.gif
Mueller
For those have the programmable units already, any tests using a stock curve and then a "tuned" curve following 123ignitions lessons?

http://123ignitionusa.com/123ignition-lessons/

euro911
QUOTE(1adam12 @ Oct 22 2017, 11:47 AM) *
I thought this distributor looked familiar. I ran across this 914 install a few months ago on YouTube. How's everyone's German!?
I understood the eins, zwei, drei perfectly - laugh.gif

He posted a second video ... and you can see those awesome ATS Classic wheels on his car cheer.gif
euro911
Can someone post a link to Brad's write-up on these distributors - gotta make sure I ordered the correct one sad.gif
mgphoto
QUOTE(1adam12 @ Oct 22 2017, 11:47 AM) *

I think it's Dutch, but I could be wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.