Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB for throttle cable improved $24 will be $32 after (pics post 153)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jim_hoyland
Can I place an order at this time ?
tyfighter123
Id be in for one as well if still available
Mikey914
So went rounds on the design and finally think I got it right. The larder cable created a few other problems, but it is significantly larger and will be much more robust.
Mikey914
We also included more threads in the adjuster portion. In theory more adjust ability. Or at least a wider range.

Cable is about 2.5x the size of the GEMO version. We have also added a floating lubricated sleeve on the tunnel side to help keep the cable from wearing into metal.

I need one person that can install and check the fit as I'm going on the road again for 4 days. I really need to check this before I open up the flood gates. So if someone wants to give me direct feedback I can help keep these moving forward. If not I can do this mid week.

Anyone?
eric914
I'll take a -6 version when they are ready:)
Driver174
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 19 2019, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Driver174 @ Jun 18 2019, 10:59 PM) *

Is there any chance I could get a longer than stock throttle cable from you? Approximately two feet longer on the engine compartment side would be nice.

Thanks,
Jim

Yes,
Do you just want an arbitrary 24" additional length? Or do you want to call it out.
Mark

Thanks for the response Mark.

Let me measure it tonight, and I’ll give you the dimension.

Jim
Driver174

Is there any chance I could get a longer than stock throttle cable from you? Approximately two feet longer on the engine compartment side would be nice.

Thanks,
Jim

Yes,
Do you just want an arbitrary 24" additional length? Or do you want to call it out.
Mark

Thanks again Mark,

Longer cable length would be nice, but the increased diameter of your throttle cable is not going to work with my current throttle linkage setup.

Jim
theer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 20 2019, 12:29 AM) *

We also included more threads in the adjuster portion. In theory more adjust ability. Or at least a wider range.

Cable is about 2.5x the size of the GEMO version. We have also added a floating lubricated sleeve on the tunnel side to help keep the cable from wearing into metal.

I need one person that can install and check the fit as I'm going on the road again for 4 days. I really need to check this before I open up the flood gates. So if someone wants to give me direct feedback I can help keep these moving forward. If not I can do this mid week.

Anyone?

Mark - I'll be your tester.. I need a Porsche pedal end and a Subaru throttle end (barrel).

Let me know.
Tom
Mikey914
QUOTE(Driver174 @ Jun 20 2019, 10:41 PM) *

Thanks,
Jim

Yes,
Mark

Thanks again Mark,

Longer cable length would be nice, but the increased diameter of your throttle cable is not going to work with my current throttle linkage setup.

Jim

I can easy make thinner. If you want to call out cable thickness. Note the throttle side is the same as stock only the cable is larger.
Mikey914
QUOTE(theer @ Jun 21 2019, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 20 2019, 12:29 AM) *

Anyone?

Mark - I'll be your tester.. I need a Porsche pedal end and a Subaru throttle end (barrel).

Let me know.
Tom

The tester needed is for the stock configuration as it's already made up.
If no takers I can do this next Mon on my 1.7.
theer
@mikey

I should have been more clear, I can also test a stock cable on my 1.7 with carbs. Let me know.

Tom
Tbrown4x4
I put 100 miles a day on my 1.7. I have carbs with the CSP linkage. I'd be glad to test one if it's not too late. Your stuff usually gets to me the next day, so I could install it right away.

@mikey
Mikey914
Who can be the 1st to install ? Overnight

I'll ship out today.
theer
Send it to TBrown - he's closer, should get there faster.

Tbrown4x4
I let Mark know about a couple of small issues during install that could actually be my car and not the cable.

I need to remove the CSP return spring from the center pivot and see how the throttle feels after that. It feels heavy right now.

On a positive note, it seems to fit over the guide tube in the firewall fine, and is flexible enough to follow the stock routing without issues. For the CSP linkage and Original Customs cable bracket, I'm going to need an extra 4" before I can route it through the engine tin grommet correctly.

Mikey914
Making one that is longer for carbs for you tomorrow.

Mark
tvdinnerbythepool
How did I miss this?! @mikey914 Dang. Just ordered the Genmo from you guys last week. I'd be down to install the tester in my 1.7 djet but I'm on a 4 day trip myself.
Driver174
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 22 2019, 12:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Driver174 @ Jun 20 2019, 10:41 PM) *

Thanks,
Jim

Yes,
Mark

Thanks again Mark,

Jim

I can easy make thinner. If you want to call out cable thickness. Note the throttle side is the same as stock only the cable is larger.

Hello Mark,

@Mikey914

Can I get a throttle cable that is 26" longer than the stock cable and the same cable diameter as a stock cable of 1.5 mm? Actually, I'll would like two of them so I can have a spare.

Please let me know if you are able to fabricate these, and how soon I could can have them.

Jim
Tbrown4x4
Quick update to keep things active. I removed the return spring at the CSP bell crank, and the action is much lighter. It seems to be a perfectly acceptable replacement cable.

I was wondering, however, why the need for such a large cable? Are people breaking cables? If the pedal stop is adjusted correctly, there should be no tension on the cable at full throttle. Well, there's tension of course, but not my leg muscles trying to pull the linkage off the carbs.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Jul 25 2019, 06:44 AM) *

I was wondering, however, why the need for such a large cable? Are people breaking cables? If the pedal stop is adjusted correctly, there should be no tension on the cable at full throttle. Well, there's tension of course, but not my leg muscles trying to pull the linkage off the carbs.

Throttle cables tend to break, for many reasons but mostly due to the cable being floppy and leading to poor installs.

If the cable is installed properly, throttle stop is set properly, and the throttle cable isn't the engine ground path (pretty common if your grounding terminals are corroded) it should last a long time.

But... People wrap the throttle cable around the clutch cable - which will eventually break it.
People drive without the throttle stop set (or without the pedal board) - which will break it.
It becomes a grounding path, which accelerates corrosion (and breaks it).
People run the cable through too tight a radius turn - which will break it.
Etc.

Zach
Tbrown4x4
Darn people......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.