Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB for throttle cable improved $24 will be $32 after (pics post 153)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
CMONNETT
Ill take 2 4cyl cables.
Mikey914
Judging from the interest I will be moving forward on these this next week.
We will do the
stock cable 4
6 cable to factory spec
V8 cable - using factory terminations
Subaru cable - using factory terminations

They will all be at the same price except the 6 which is different and will require more machining. It will be $29.

After the GB the V8 and Subaru will be more but we will stock a few.
stevend914
I'll take two for a stock 4 cyl
michael7810
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 28 2018, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 28 2018, 08:01 AM) *

One of my 4s is carbbed and using a stock cable. I can do 3 versions, dtock 4, a predetermined 6 conversion, and custom to customer spec. The 3rd bersion, will be more expensive if we do it in the future, but in production its easily accomidated.

Does anyone know if a longer than stock cable can be used on a carbed 4 to allow routing the cable through the stock location in the engine tin? It's been decades since I hooked up a throttle cable to carbs and don't remember how I did it, and I was less picky back then about how I did things. I'm completely ignorant about options and what a custom spec cable would look like for this application.

I didn't like the way the stock cable fit my carb'ed car so I made a custom cable using motorcycle cable and bicycle brake cable housing. I used a cutoff bolt, center drilled for the accelerator pedal end but the carb end was just cable (not optimal but it's been working for 5+ years with several removal/reinstalls. My cable attaches to the backside of the carb by #1 cylinder and at the stock cable was just too short. It would work but the angles were severe. Now it has nice smooth arches and is buttery smooth. My custom cable is 115.5" long including the 1-1/4" bolt swedged on the end. I should have made 2 for a spare but didn't. I recently removed it and it shows no sign of wear or damage so it should be good for a while.
Halfnelson
I'll take one for 1.8 standard. Do you do clutch cable as may combine for UK postage?

Cheers

Chris
Mikey914
I have yet to make the clutch, but I do plan to go there. I have the commercially available German ones in stock
flmont
Ill take 1 also
Halfnelson
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 4 2018, 05:20 PM) *

I have yet to make the clutch, but I do plan to go there. I have the commercially available German ones in stock

Sounds good - might as well take both if you're shipping one.

Cheers
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 27 2018, 10:47 PM) *

We are looking at making an improved version of the throttle cable utilizing 1/8" stainless cable. we will be using the architectural cable we use in the railing systems with a 1500 lb load rating. There has been some issue with fatigue on some of the cables currently on the market.

If there's enough interest we can easily make these with this more rugged cable.

Who's in?

I'm in
Mikey914
Looks like I'm turning metal this next week.
Mark
hermich
I need one as well...great timing. Thanks for all the great stuff you make!
bbrock
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Mar 4 2018, 06:42 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 28 2018, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 28 2018, 08:01 AM) *

One of my 4s is carbbed and using a stock cable. I can do 3 versions, dtock 4, a predetermined 6 conversion, and custom to customer spec. The 3rd bersion, will be more expensive if we do it in the future, but in production its easily accomidated.

Does anyone know if a longer than stock cable can be used on a carbed 4 to allow routing the cable through the stock location in the engine tin? It's been decades since I hooked up a throttle cable to carbs and don't remember how I did it, and I was less picky back then about how I did things. I'm completely ignorant about options and what a custom spec cable would look like for this application.

I didn't like the way the stock cable fit my carb'ed car so I made a custom cable using motorcycle cable and bicycle brake cable housing. I used a cutoff bolt, center drilled for the accelerator pedal end but the carb end was just cable (not optimal but it's been working for 5+ years with several removal/reinstalls. My cable attaches to the backside of the carb by #1 cylinder and at the stock cable was just too short. It would work but the angles were severe. Now it has nice smooth arches and is buttery smooth. My custom cable is 115.5" long including the 1-1/4" bolt swedged on the end. I should have made 2 for a spare but didn't. I recently removed it and it shows no sign of wear or damage so it should be good for a while.

Thanks for this, it's very helpful.

Mark, would you be able to post cable lengths for the options you will build? I might need to just wait until I have my engine back in the car to decide what length I want, but this is such a good deal I hate to miss out. These GBs are evil that way. biggrin.gif
Mikey914
We will do stock, V8, Subaru, and 914/6. I can do a cable to your specification while in production at no additional charge (unless you add 5' or something like that biggrin.gif ).
OLAF
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 27 2018, 11:47 PM) *

We are looking at making an improved version of the throttle cable utilizing 1/8" stainless cable. we will be using the architectural cable we use in the railing systems with a 1500 lb load rating. There has been some issue with fatigue on some of the cables currently on the market.

If there's enough interest we can easily make these with this more rugged cable.

Who's in?

"OLAF" I'll take one.... thank you!
mbseto
Improved version of the stock cable? I'll bite. '71 1.7l
siverson
I'll take one! What's the ETA?

-Steve
Mikey914
All the pieces coming together will be about a month.
bigkensteele
I am in for the 6 version.
t collins
Put me down for one - 4
Costa05
I am in for a subaru version. One please.
Rich
I'm in for (1) stock -4 cable. Thanks Mark for the stuff ya do..
clapeza
I'll take one stock, for a -4.
theer
I'll take (2) Subaru with a little extra length (need to conform measurement) and one for a stock -4.

Thanks!
davehg
I'd be in for one for a six conversion
Nutter965
Put me down for a 6 cable please, and when its ready i'll add to the order....
michael7810
Add me to the list for a custom cable to fit my carb'ed /4. Have you decided on the lengths of the Subaru and V8 cables?
peteyd
Please put me down for a /6 and a /4

thanks
Pete
914six
HI Mark,

Need a Stock 6 cable... let me know..

Thanks,
Harry
malcolm2
stock 1.8 L-jet and a spare.... 2 for me.
Mikey914
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Mar 20 2018, 05:24 AM) *

Add me to the list for a custom cable to fit my carb'ed /4. Have you decided on the lengths of the Subaru and V8 cables?

Well for this run I'm going to let the Subaru / 8 guys spec it. I would bet there could be some standardization we will see come out of this, so moving forward I could look at stocking. However i will need feedback from those involved.
Mark
11tenths
Mark- I'm in for one for my 6 conv.

Just one question... (Columbo style)

Will this loop up in front of the CV joint, or possibly more smoothly bend around behind it?
idea.gif

- Harry
Mikey914
I was planning to do a stock cable, so location would not necessarily change, but an extra inch would give it some "slack".
Mikey914
Ok, this has taken longer than I had hoped, but we are looking to nail down the lengths for the custom cables as well as the V8, and Subaru.

We will need to know the length of the actual cable you want, as well as the sheath.

I will PM with nonstandard requests.

jkb944t
I am in for the -6 version.

Jeff B
theer
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 28 2018, 11:29 AM) *

Ok, this has taken longer than I had hoped, but we are looking to nail down the lengths for the custom cables as well as the V8, and Subaru.

We will need to know the length of the actual cable you want, as well as the sheath.

I will PM with nonstandard requests.

PM sent. My WRX with intake manifold reversed will need the cable sheath to be 140cm long measured from the end of the stock-914 cable tube to the stock Subaru cable mounting clip.

mb911
Sorry but my car is not ready to measure what the cable lengths are.. Guess I am no help.
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 28 2018, 04:00 PM) *

Sorry but my car is not ready to measure what the cable lengths are.. Guess I am no help.

Yep, same here. Just not at a stage where I can commit to a length. sad.gif
StratPlayer
Count me in for 1, late model 4, EFI.
Mikey914
Made some great progress on these, however the day job is taking up some additional time in my schedule. Ill be in full production by the end of the month.
Just wanted to update the thread. This will take a little longer than planned, but should be worth the wait.
Thanks,
Mark
pilothyer
Interested in stock cable for 1.8 & 2.0 F.I. and a couple for 4 cyl. carb conversion.
davehg
I’m in for a 6
RAX914
I'm in for one
marksteinhilber
I’d like one for a 1.8 L jet!
raynekat
Would need one for a 914-6. Thx
porschetub
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 2 2018, 07:09 AM) *

Hi Mark,

Here's the 914-6 cable pics and info we pm'd about.

over all length is : 99 1/4'' from end to end

the sheathing is : 41 3/4'' from end to end

the metal threaded part that mounts on the trans bracket is : 55 mm from end to end

the pedal and trans threaded ends for the cup/ball socket is : 38 mm from end to end

cable thickness is 2 mm and has a plastic coating on the cable itself.

The pics of the 6 trans and carb manifolds are so you get an idea on how the cable mounts/runs. Let me know if you need more info.

Luke

But isn't that an extended pivot rod off the RH side inlet manifold,is that stock or part off the RJ conversion parts,intersested to know, beer.gif
Olympic 914
Put me down for 2.

I have had the inner sleeve on two cables crack where it exits the firewall and transitions from the metal ferrule to the black cable housing. (don't remember the brand of cable) The first time I just replaced the cable (0 miles ) the second time I reinforced the break with multiple layers of heat shrink tubing applied while holding the cable straight.

Both times this happened while the engine was out. so unplugging the cable from the metal sleeve leading in to the firewall probably would have prevented this.

Expensive lessons.

Are these new cables reinforced in this area? Would some type of a spring prevent this from occurring again? .

Mikey914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 9 2018, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 2 2018, 07:09 AM) *

Hi Mark,

Here's the 914-6 cable pics and info we pm'd about.

over all length is : 99 1/4'' from end to end

the sheathing is : 41 3/4'' from end to end

the metal threaded part that mounts on the trans bracket is : 55 mm from end to end

the pedal and trans threaded ends for the cup/ball socket is : 38 mm from end to end

cable thickness is 2 mm and has a plastic coating on the cable itself.

The pics of the 6 trans and carb manifolds are so you get an idea on how the cable mounts/runs. Let me know if you need more info.

Luke

But isn't that an extended pivot rod off the RH side inlet manifold,is that stock or part off the RJ conversion parts,intersested to know, beer.gif

Well the good news is as an actual manufacturer we can make adjustments. We plan to stat here and make adjustments as necessary to make the best product for the application. So we'll start here and will more than likely make adjustments based on feedback recieved.
So the real answer is we will find out.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Apr 10 2018, 06:43 AM) *

Put me down for 2.

I have had the inner sleeve on two cables crack where it exits the firewall and transitions from the metal ferrule to the black cable housing. (don't remember the brand of cable) The first time I just replaced the cable (0 miles ) the second time I reinforced the break with multiple layers of heat shrink tubing applied while holding the cable straight.

Both times this happened while the engine was out. so unplugging the cable from the metal sleeve leading in to the firewall probably would have prevented this.

Expensive lessons.

Are these new cables reinforced in this area? Would some type of a spring prevent this from occurring again? .
we are working on a different design that will eliminate the problem.
914Sixer
Put me down for one.
flmont
Ill have one also
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.