Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB for throttle cable improved $24 will be $32 after (pics post 153)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Mikey914
We are looking at making an improved version of the throttle cable utilizing a thicker cable. We will be using the architectural cable we use in other applications. There has been some issue with fatigue on some of the cables currently on the market.

If there's enough interest we can easily make these with this more rugged cable.

Who's in?
Andyrew
EVERY carbed v8 conversion could use this.. The throttle cable has to be put to such a tight angle that they snap pretty often

Sadly I am drive by wire now so I cant use this... sad.gif
davehg
If this works on a six conversion count me in
yellowporky
i will take one for a stock injected car
Thanks
Mikey914
QUOTE(davehg @ Feb 27 2018, 09:03 PM) *

If this works on a six conversion count me in

I can work with you to make one that does. Should be same cost, I'll just need to try to figure out the exact size you need.
Mark
Mowog4
I’ll take one
rmdinmd
in for one smile.gif
Tbrown4x4
Me too.
sb914
I'll take two for v8
mgp4591
I'm up for one.
mb911
I would be interested in 1 for a six as well.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 28 2018, 04:52 AM) *

I would be interested in 1 for a six as well.

Count me in too for a /6...
VaccaRabite
How would this get routed? Will it use the stock route?
Does 1/8th inch cable mean the cable itself, or the cable and its sheath and all that?
Will it have any internal lubrication to help with cable bind?

Zach
Mikey914
For the 6 the routing will have to be determined. Since I don't have one. we will document.
The cable itself is 1/8"
It can be lubricated, but will run on an internally lined sheath. I need to do some research as to the best lubrication for the materials involved, but will ship pre lubricated, and if it's the lubrication I think I can use should not require any additional maintenance applications.
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 28 2018, 05:51 AM) *

For the 6 the routing will have to be determined. Since I don't have one. we will document.
The cable itself is 1/8"
It can be lubricated, but will run on an internally lined sheath. I need to do some research as to the best lubrication for the materials involved, but will ship pre lubricated, and if it's the lubrication I think I can use should not require any additional maintenance applications.

I believe there is a way with a 6 to avoid the bell crank with a longer cable like the 4.. I think Terry had made some.. I need to research that a bit..

Ultimately I would love to carry a 6 cable on my website for a complete 6 conversion kit.
Millerwelds
I’m in. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 28 2018, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 28 2018, 05:51 AM) *

The cable itself is 1/8"

I believe there is a way with a 6 to avoid the bell crank with a longer cable like the 4.. I think Terry had made some.. I need to research that a bit..

Ultimately I would love to carry a 6 cable on my website for a complete 6 conversion kit.

They have one for a six on their web site: http://www.terrycable.com/Throttle-cable-f...otor_p_303.html

I'm interested in one for a carbed /4 but didn't see an answer whether installation would be plug and play for the stock item - at least as it runs through the tunnel from pedal to firewall.
Mikey914
One of my 4s is carbbed and using a stock cable. I can do 3 versions, dtock 4, a predetermined 6 conversion, and custom to customer spec. The 3rd bersion, will be more expensive if we do it in the future, but in production its easily accomidated.
76-914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 27 2018, 09:01 PM) *

EVERY carbed v8 conversion could use this.. The throttle cable has to be put to such a tight angle that they snap pretty often

agree.gif And there are enough of them to make it worthwhile. A cable for Subaru conversions would be nice as well. IIRC. the cable required for the Subaru is the same as stock except the sheathing is cut 6" shorter and cable was 6" longer. confused24.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 28 2018, 08:01 AM) *

One of my 4s is carbbed and using a stock cable. I can do 3 versions, dtock 4, a predetermined 6 conversion, and custom to customer spec. The 3rd bersion, will be more expensive if we do it in the future, but in production its easily accomidated.

Does anyone know if a longer than stock cable can be used on a carbed 4 to allow routing the cable through the stock location in the engine tin? It's been decades since I hooked up a throttle cable to carbs and don't remember how I did it, and I was less picky back then about how I did things. I'm completely ignorant about options and what a custom spec cable would look like for this application.
markhoward
I'm in for a std.
morgan_harwell
I'm in for one, standard 4 length.

My Six-Conversion uses stock 4-cylinder throttle cables.
I changed the throttle plate, that mounts on the top of the 911 case, to accept a throttle cable that pulls from the front.
green914
I will take one.
walterolin
One.

1.7 stock FI, early.
brant
I had better put my name down n the list

Thanks!
913B
Sign me up for one biggrin.gif
Rleog
One
Mikey914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 28 2018, 07:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 27 2018, 09:01 PM) *

agree.gif And there are enough of them to make it worthwhile. A cable for Subaru conversions would be nice as well. IIRC. the cable required for the Subaru is the same as stock except the sheathing is cut 6" shorter and cable was 6" longer. confused24.gif

This can easily be done at this point. Maybe add as an option if you want to show the routing for others.

Mark
Mike D.
I'd be in for 2!
Luke M
I'd be in for 4 cables as long as they fit a factory 6 .

Keep us posted.
Mikey914
I can make the 6 cables and if the fittings are all the same (and I suspect they are), the cost would be the same and help contribute to the count.
Mblizzard
My credit card hates you. But my car loves you. I am in for one.
turnaround89
I'd be in for a custom one for my Subaru conversion
maf914
Mark, add me to the list for a stock four cable. Thanks as always.
73-914
in for 2 PLZ 73 4cylinder Carbed
JamesM
Im in.
rgolia
Ill take one.
jim_hoyland
An improved accelerator cable is a great idea for a new product; the scariest feeling is to have that cable break while in traffic or any other situation where it’s gonna take gas to get onto a safe spot. And even then, you have to tow....
Luke M
Hi Mark,

Here's the 914-6 cable pics and info we pm'd about.

over all length is : 99 1/4'' from end to end

the sheathing is : 41 3/4'' from end to end

the metal threaded part that mounts on the trans bracket is : 55 mm from end to end

the pedal and trans threaded ends for the cup/ball socket is : 38 mm from end to end

cable thickness is 2 mm and has a plastic coating on the cable itself.

The pics of the 6 trans and carb manifolds are so you get an idea on how the cable mounts/runs. Let me know if you need more info.

Luke
restore2seater
I'm in for a cable on a -6.
porschetub
Stainless cable runs a lot less friction and feels much smoother,made one for my Speedster replica and found my Webers snapped closed without the need of a centre return spring which previously caused a heavy pedal with the stock (cut down) cable.
Top marks 914rubber smilie_pokal.gif .
Wayne
I'm in for one. Thanks Mark
Mikey914
FOR THE 6 -

Good news is the bellows I already make. It can be included easily. The trans end is different but can be easily made. It will cost a few bucks more, but not much.I need to figure out how much, but my guess is it would add $5.
Mark
FL000
I’m in for one. Thanks as always.
don-6
One -6 cable.
jesse7flying
One -4 cable please.
RickS
Add one for a converted 6. Thanks
djway
Dos Cabelos PorFavor
RickS
QUOTE(djway @ Mar 2 2018, 03:57 PM) *

Dos Cabelos PorFavor

Cabelo is hair in Portuguese. Two hairs please biggrin.gif
914four
One cable please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.