Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2018 - Sept. 13-16
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 26 2018, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 26 2018, 04:34 AM) *

Bob,

Would you please make a change to our entry? We are bringing the factory six on the trailer, and Betty will be driving her car out.

Thanks!

Which means she will be leaving you in the dust as usual!

I hold no illusions about it, she definitely will. The six is only 110HP, no sway bars, old hard tires, and a tail shifter. Her 4 has about 120HP, its lighter, has sway bars and 33 years of suspension development, low profile tires, a side shifter, and the better driver too.

driving-girl.gif

Mblizzard
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 26 2018, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 26 2018, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 26 2018, 04:34 AM) *

Bob,

Would you please make a change to our entry? We are bringing the factory six on the trailer, and Betty will be driving her car out.

Thanks!

Which means she will be leaving you in the dust as usual!

I hold no illusions about it, she definitely will. The six is only 110HP, no sway bars, old hard tires, and a tail shifter. Her 4 has about 120HP, its lighter, has sway bars and 33 years of suspension development, low profile tires, a side shifter, and the better driver too.

driving-girl.gif

Made tons of upgrades to my car for last year which allowed me to keep her in view about 30 seconds longer than the year before. Made even more upgrades this year and a new engine so I expect I will get another 30 seconds!
naro914
Made a quick little promo video for this year.

Enjoy! And please share!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGDgvShSaVk

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 26 2018, 08:12 PM) *

Enjoy! And please share!

That is a great video... I am already looking forward to this event. This just made it worse.

One question. Were you driving during the video, or was Nadine?

If it was you, the video was sped up.. poke.gif
naro914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 27 2018, 07:28 AM) *

Enjoy! And please share!

That is a great video... I am already looking forward to this event. This just made it worse.

I was driving...a rental car... sad.gif (our new to us GTI already had an engine failure!!) Nadine was actually holding the camera in her hands. She does the notes and tells me where to go (just like in normal life!!) I just drive...I'm the hired help...
JoeD
Drouin family is registered for this year! Can't wait to see everyone again!
Mblizzard
Sometimes even though it is a lot of work, I get to do some of cool things for this event. This is one of those cool things. While the “stuff” at the event is really fantastic, we are trying to get a bit more “tech” information worked into the event. I think it is pretty awesome that I get to announce that people attending Okteenerfest 2018 will have access to some people that really know their 914 and Porsche stuff.

Of course we know that we will have the chance to talk with Jake Raby at Air Cooled Heaven during lunch. But as a huge bonus to that, Charles Navarro of LN Engineering & Bilt Racing Service and the Type 4 Store will be attending. Charles and Jake will be available to share their vast wealth of knowledge.

I think you would be hard pressed to come up with a 914 or other Porsche engine question that these guys would not know the answer to!

Charles will be bringing something that I have never actually seen. Nickies. While most of us believe they are made out of Unobotainium, this is going to be a great opportunity to learn more about them!

Start prepping your questions!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JoeD
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 26 2018, 09:08 AM) *

Of course as usual, the AWESOME Eric Shea with PMB will be providing a set of calipers for your car as an additional bonus to supporting the rear brake tech session with Porterfield!

Click to view attachment

Really looking forward to the rear brake adjustment tech session! After not winning the PMB calipers last year, I ponied up for a set and did the front brakes- calipers, Porterfield pads (properly bedded), and new hard and soft lines all from PMB, plus a 914Rubber master cylinder. I can actually lock the wheels up now, which I was never able to do before.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(JoeD @ Jun 28 2018, 03:04 PM) *

Of course as usual, the AWESOME Eric Shea with PMB will be providing a set of calipers for your car as an additional bonus to supporting the rear brake tech session with Porterfield!

Click to view attachment

Really looking forward to the rear brake adjustment tech session! After not winning the PMB calipers last year, I ponied up for a set and did the front brakes- calipers, Porterfield pads (properly bedded), and new hard and soft lines all from PMB, plus a 914Rubber master cylinder. I can actually lock the wheels up now, which I was never able to do before.

I know for a fact that using PMB parts has saved my ass many times. I am a reasonably proficient mechanic. But unless you build brakes every day this is one job that is best to let he professionals do. Eric suggested I go with the Porterfield R4s pads and that has been a fantastic recommendation.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 28 2018, 07:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I know for a fact that using PMB parts has saved my ass many times. I am a reasonably proficient mechanic. But unless you build brakes every day this is one job that is best to let he professionals do. Eric suggested I go with the Porterfield R4s pads and that has been a fantastic recommendation.

Ditto on that for sure! Saved
my rear end last year, if not for the awesome stopping of the rebuilt brakes ans pads from Eric, and the extra
grip of the Bridgestone Potenza tires all 8.5" of tread on the ground, Peter(VYsoc) my copilot and I would have been hood ornaments on the front of a mack truck that lost his way and
appeared on a hairpin turn coming UP the mountain where no 18 wheeler should have been- taking up both lanes and the shoulder! no where to go- right was a cliff and 1000ft drop, left rock , straight was him,
stopped on a dime- so thank you Eric ans PMB performance!!!! - ask Clay and Betty, they were in front of me and i was trying to catch up- any way i digress- juat make sure you all have excellent brakes and pads for a drive in the mountains!!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 28 2018, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 28 2018, 07:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ditto on that for sure! Saved
my rear end last year, if not for the awesome stopping of the rebuilt brakes ans pads from Eric, and the extra
grip of the Bridgestone Potenza tires all 8.5" of tread on the ground, Peter(VYsoc) my copilot and I would have been hood ornaments on the front of a mack truck that lost his way and
appeared on a hairpin turn coming UP the mountain where no 18 wheeler should have been- taking up both lanes and the shoulder! no where to go- right was a cliff and 1000ft drop, left rock , straight was him,
stopped on a dime- so thank you Eric ans PMB performance!!!! - ask Clay and Betty, they were in front of me and i was trying to catch up- any way i digress- juat make sure you all have excellent brakes and pads for a drive in the mountains!!

I was not too far behind and had more wisely given up chasing Betty but I was still able to see the poo in the road!
Jamie
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 27 2018, 03:57 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 27 2018, 07:28 AM) *

Enjoy! And please share!

I was driving...a rental car... sad.gif (our new to us GTI already had an engine failure!!) Nadine was actually holding the camera in her hands. She does the notes and tells me where to go (just like in normal life!!) I just drive...I'm the hired help...

Great job on this video Bob and Nadine! first.gif I can't believe she hand held the camera that rock steady?
914dave
Room is booked and registered. Ready for the great road trip. 700 miles for me. Who else is coming out of the north east?
914Next
Registered, paid via paypal and room booked for Sara and I. Looking forward to it!

Steve
jdamiano
QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 1 2018, 11:45 AM) *

Registered, paid via paypal and room booked for Sara and I. Looking forward to it!

Steve

Where did you find the PayPal option? I am registered but haven’t paid yet.
914four
Anyone passing through Birmingham along the way to Okteenerfest might want stop at Barbers Motorsports Museum Thursday morning at 10 a.m. with the DFW group. The Alabama Region PCA President, Darcy Schofill, has helped to arrange a special tour of the museum.

This is something Barbers has done for the Alabama Region PCA in the past and is a very special tour.

Kelvin
Jake Raby
This was a great event last year.. We were happy to host lunch.
We have more planned this year, and it might get interesting :-)
I sold my 914 a while back... l’ll try to break my 912E out for the event.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 9 2018, 05:59 PM) *

This was a great event last year.. We were happy to host lunch.
We have more planned this year, and it might get interesting :-)
I sold my 914 a while back... l’ll try to break my 912E out for the event.

For me personally, it was an honor to meet someone that was so knowledgeable and had guided me through many of my mistakes while greatly shortening my learning curve. I will be redoing my wife’s Boxster engine at some point and it will be a Raby. You were such a great host in spite of the power failures and tough conditions.

See you in September.
ClayPerrine
Betty and I have been looking for a unique way to celebrate 400,000 miles on her 914.

We found this and wanted to bring it to Okteenerfest.

IPB Image

Unfortunately, it is bottled in Westchester, NY, and it is not available in Texas.

screwy.gif sad.gif

Still The One Distillery

idea.gif If someone going to Okteenerfest from that area can pick up a bottle of it, we would be eternally grateful.

piratenanner.gif drunk.gif

Seriously.. If anyone is coming from the NorthEast, I will pay you for a bottle of this.

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 12 2018, 06:59 PM) *

Betty and I have been looking for a unique way to celebrate 400,000 miles on her 914.

We found this and wanted to bring it to Okteenerfest.

IPB Image

Unfortunately, it is bottled in Westchester, NY, and it is not available in Texas.

screwy.gif sad.gif

Still The One Distillery

idea.gif If someone going to Okteenerfest from that area can pick up a bottle of it, we would be eternally grateful.

piratenanner.gif drunk.gif

Seriously.. If anyone is coming from the NorthEast, I will pay you for a bottle of this.

Not surprised. NY is a 914 area code.
naro914
Just a reminder - Our block of rooms at the Helendorf will be released on August 1, after that date, you will not be able to get a room at the Helendorf, which is the HQ Hotel for Okteenerfest 2018 and where everything is happening!!

And if you're thinking you can wait or possibly get a cheaper room at another hotel, most hotels are booked or are MUCH more expensive than what we have negotiated...

So REGISTER and GET YOUR ROOM NOW!!!
lvnzdrm
Booked our room and registered, driving out of Virginia (Richmond) Wednesday and staying at Biltmore one night then drive in Thursday afternoon. If anyone wants to meet up for the drive let me know.

Looking forward to this event

Jon
Mblizzard
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Jul 24 2018, 10:16 AM) *

Booked our room and registered, driving out of Virginia (Richmond) Wednesday and staying at Biltmore one night then drive in Thursday afternoon. If anyone wants to meet up for the drive let me know.

Looking forward to this event

Jon

My sister in law lives in Richmond!

I am in Knoxville TN so if you need anything it is kind of between Ashville and Helen.

I will be heading out on Thursday afternoon from Knoxville.
Mblizzard
So it Begins!

Loot is arriving daily! We have some amazing sponsors. Not sure how I am going to get all of this to Helen!

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Some great news!

3M and Meguiar's have teamed up to sponsor the Friday Night Car wash.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Yep that is one less thing you have to try and pack in to your 914!

Thanks to David of 3M and Lucy from Meguiar's Inc., you will have everything you need provided to wash your car!

They will be providing wash buckets with grit guards and high quality cleaning products for your use. Also 3M is sending micro fiber towels for everyone!

That is a really awesome bit of support.
Mblizzard
Also have to say thanks again to Matt at Vintage LEDs for helping out again!

Click to view attachment

They have provided a complete set of their 3500 LED lamps that will dramatically improve safety and visibility!

Vintage LEDs also sent me a new glass globe to replace one I broke. These are really good guys! Check out their site as you can get a 10 discount on you order!

Very Nice kit from these guys!

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Did the pink tu-tus arrive for Bill and Bob yet?????

Mblizzard
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 25 2018, 09:55 AM) *

The box I fear the most!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 25 2018, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 25 2018, 09:55 AM) *

The box I fear the most!

How about the one from Omaha Steaks?

poorsche914
We reached (and surpassed) the 100 registrants mark a couple days ago so now for a bit of "Okteenerfest Trivia"

There are 21 registrants who currently own AND have owned ONLY one 914… with ownership beginning anywhere from original owner in 1970(!) to new owner in 2016.

Most 914s currently owned is 7 with most owned all together “I lost count” followed by 14.

There are about the same number of people attending whose “addiction” began before 1990 as after.

driving.gif
Mblizzard
Ok this is a really cool package of awesome stuff from AASE Sales.

Note they sent 3 of these!

Sorry the picture is bad but yes that is a set of COCO Mats for your car!

Click to view attachment

If that was not good enough they sent a few other items as well for each package:

-Replacement hood seal

-914 timing decal

-Marken Weltmeister decal

-914 original owner’s manual [two 1970s and a 1972], and

-914/4 chassis ID plate blank

Anyone need this?
michael7810
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 30 2018, 08:54 AM) *

Click to view attachment

If that was not good enough they sent a few other items as well for each package:

-Replacement hood seal

-914 timing decal

Anyone need this?

For real? I would like the 72 owners manual. How much?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 30 2018, 10:50 AM) *

Click to view attachment

-Replacement hood seal

-914 timing decal

Anyone need this?

Just have to show up and win it! Of course you can call AASE and see if they have another one for sale.
michael7810
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 30 2018, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 30 2018, 10:50 AM) *

Click to view attachment

-Replacement hood seal

-914 timing decal

Anyone need this?

Just have to show up and win it! Of course you can call AASE and see if they have another one for sale.

I’ll be there
poorsche914
MORE OKTEENERFEST TRIVIA piratenanner.gif

How many previous Okteenerfest events have been attended by this year's registrants? *

16 First time attendees
12 Have been to one event
10 Have attended two events
15 Have experienced three Okteenerfests
5 Have attended all but one Okteenerfest
8 Have been to all five Okteenerfest events cheer.gif

* These numbers only take into consideration a single participant per registration. Adding 50-75% to each figure would give a more accurate number since the majority of registrations contain two participants.

driving.gif
bdstone914
Booked my flights. My son Wes is coming too. Not flying back until Monday evening. Any suggestions on what do do with an extra day ? Going to be in rental car and looking fro a ride on the fun drives. Donating a pedal set as usual. Also plan to have some new tools for turbo tire rods and strut installation. Also working on a 914 key chain bottle opener.
Bruce
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 30 2018, 11:54 PM) *

Booked my flights. My son Wes is coming too. Not flying back until Monday evening. Any suggestions on what do do with an extra day ? Going to be in rental car and looking fro a ride on the fun drives. Donating a pedal set as usual. Also plan to have some new tools for turbo tire rods and strut installation. Also working on a 914 key chain bottle opener.
Bruce

That is awesome, will be good to meet you.
I am sure you can find something to do with that extra day.
If you are flying out of Atlanta, you might find some stuff to see and do there on Sunday.
vw_porsche
I'm going! driving.gif

Click to view attachment
Bills914-4
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 31 2018, 12:50 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 30 2018, 11:54 PM) *

Bruce

That is awesome, will be good to meet you.
I am sure you can find something to do with that extra day.
If you are flying out of Atlanta, you might find some stuff to see and do there on Sunday.

Theirs Stone Mountain east of Atlanta , theirs the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta , also
theirs the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta , Bill D.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Well my brother Peter has just registered. You will all enjoy him up there. he is quite entertaining
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2018, 01:53 PM) *

Well my brother Peter has just registered. You will all enjoy him up there. he is quite entertaining

I think i met him a few years ago up in Banner Elk NC, Didnt he bring the green car that you had just acquired that was a nice unmolested original car?
What will he be beining up this time? Are you loaning him the /6?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 31 2018, 10:43 AM) *

I think i met him a few years ago up in Banner Elk NC, Didnt he bring the green car that you had just acquired that was a nice unmolested original car?

Maybe George is different. I love my brother. But not enough to loan him a six if I had one!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes he was in banner elk! I had the green original 1.7 he was driving that m471 six. This time he will be driving a wacky looking six conversion, should be a lot of fun for everyone to see. Has a 2.2 s engine installed

He is very entertaining, so should be fun for everyone

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 31 2018, 11:43 AM) *

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2018, 02:18 PM) *

yes he was in banner elk! I had the green original 1.7 he was driving that m471 six. This time he will be driving a wacky looking six conversion, should be a lot of fun for everyone to see. Has a 2.2 s engine installed

George,

Why aren't you coming??

Clay
naro914
I am told by the hotel they are now sold out and we took more rooms than we had planned!! Nice!!!
Now...I have the list of who booked room and many of you have not registered yet sad.gif. Please register if you plan to come. If not, please cancel your room so people on the waitlist can have it.

Thanks!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
HI Clay, we are buried here with customer work and too many parts calls, I thought that the internet would allow me to keep the staff low, but the repair staff can never be too low. Hence I will be here answering the phones, and supervising the work, even on Sunday! Thank you for thinking of me.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 31 2018, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2018, 02:18 PM) *

George,

Why aren't you coming??

Clay
naro914

George
I don't see Peter registered in the system.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
He has a room up there and was asking me the serial number of the car he is driving so assumed that he went through with the registration. We are getting his car ready

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 2 2018, 09:05 AM) *

George
I don't see Peter registered in the system.

poorsche914
Lists of people with rooms booked but no registration, registered but not paid, and registered & paid have been posted to the original post. Please check the list to confirm your status.

If you are registered and have not paid, please send payment as soon as possible.

If you have not registered yet and plan on attending, please register soon.

Registration for Okteenerfest 2018 will close on Friday August 24.
Full Payments must be received by Friday August 31.
Cancellations: Full refund until August 24, after this, no refunds.

driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2018, 09:53 AM) *

I'm guessing he's the good twin? lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.