Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2018 - Sept. 13-16
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Bills914-4
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 11 2018, 09:20 AM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 11 2018, 12:50 AM) *

Day 1: 435 miles Phoenix to El Paso. Smooth sailing until I got to El Paso and the freeway was closed. Finally go back on and there was a sign saying freeway closed all traffic take airport exit which luckily is where my hotel is. That means I’ll have to go through another detour in the morning when I depart for Dallas. Glad I didn’t try to make it to Dallas on Day 1.

Now that's a long drive! driving.gif

I think we a winner for the IRON BUTT award first.gif ,
Bills914-4
My wife (Luz) & I are leaving tonight (11hr. drive + 2 for nap biggrin.gif ) to get their
a day+ early to check out the sights around Helen , looking forward to this Event
since I missed it last year ( hurricane irma) Bill D.
JawjaPorsche
I live thirty miles from Helen. I just checked the latest forecast and there a 40% percent afternoon thunderstorm on Friday and Saturday is mostly sunny with only a 20% of a stray thunderstorm.

I like that forecast much better! beerchug.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Sep 11 2018, 06:41 AM) *

I live thirty miles from Helen. I just checked the latest forecast and there a 40% percent afternoon thunderstorm on Friday and Saturday is mostly sunny with only a 20% of a stray thunderstorm.

I like that forecast much better! beerchug.gif

Of course the now undefined path that Florence chooses to take will make this prediction "subject to change!" icon_bump.gif
naro914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 10 2018, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2018, 03:32 PM) *

However, I did hear a rumor that Clay will be wearing a Speedo under his wet suit, so who would want to miss THAT? blink.gif

Funny, I actually own a speedo.

unsure.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 11 2018, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 10 2018, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2018, 03:32 PM) *

However, I did hear a rumor that Clay will be wearing a Speedo under his wet suit, so who would want to miss THAT? blink.gif

Funny, I actually own a speedo.

unsure.gif

Do you want me to bring it with me???? I can model it for you!

But if I do, you have to model the lederhosen/pink tutu outfit.
naro914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 11 2018, 04:52 PM) *

But if I do, you have to model the lederhosen/pink tutu outfit.

There is ZERO chance of that happening.
michael7810
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 10 2018, 08:50 PM) *

Day 1: 435 miles Phoenix to El Paso. Smooth sailing until I got to El Paso and the freeway was closed. Finally go back on and there was a sign saying freeway closed all traffic take airport exit which luckily is where my hotel is. That means I’ll have to go through another detour in the morning when I depart for Dallas. Glad I didn’t try to make it to Dallas on Day 1.

Day 2: 615 miles El Paso to DFW. Another mostly uneventful drive. 20 miles from the motel a box the size of a washing machine flew out of the pickup in front of me and there was nowhere to go but through it. It was cardboard and other than scaring the shit out of me there doesn’t appear to be any car damage. Noticed my rt headlamp is out and both fuses are blown. Dudes hanging out in the Motel6 parking lot look way scary for me to be put there troubleshooting. I’ll address the short another day.
Meeting Clay, Betty and bandjoey tomorrow AM for the remainder of the drive to Helen.
I need a beer beer3.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 11 2018, 09:31 PM) *
20 miles from the motel a box the size of a washing machine flew out of the pickup in front of me and there was nowhere to go but through it.

blink.gif
aharder
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 11 2018, 08:31 PM) *

Day 2: 615 miles El Paso to DFW. Another mostly uneventful drive. 20 miles from the motel a box the size of a washing machine flew out of the pickup in front of me and there was nowhere to go but through it. It was cardboard and other than scaring the shit out of me there doesn’t appear to be any car damage. Noticed my rt headlamp is out and both fuses are blown. Dudes hanging out in the Motel6 parking lot look way scary for me to be put there troubleshooting. I’ll address the short another day.
Meeting Clay, Betty and bandjoey tomorrow AM for the remainder of the drive to Helen.
I need a beer beer3.gif

1,000 + in 2 days, and many more to go! Enjoy !!!
Betty
Wow! At least you're 'pre-disastered' now so nothing else bad will happen, right! cheer.gif

If you need/want the help, Clay's an electrical wizard and will have his multimeter, etc. with him. He says there's a Napa right around the corner too.

We'll have the time in the morning if you want to look at it - if we leave too early we'll just run into rush hour traffic. If the weather doesn't cooperate you could even come to the house so we can look at it in the garage. We'll be up super early so don't hesitate to call Clay's cell phone if you want to do that. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(Betty @ Sep 11 2018, 07:15 PM) *

Wow! At least you're 'pre-disastered' now so nothing else bad will happen, right! cheer.gif

If you need/want the help, Clay's an electrical wizard and will have his multimeter, etc. with him. He says there's a Napa right around the corner too.

We'll have the time in the morning if you want to look at it - if we leave too early we'll just run into rush hour traffic. If the weather doesn't cooperate you could even come to the house so we can look at it in the garage. We'll be up super early so don't hesitate to call Clay's cell phone if you want to do that. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

...and what might Clay’s cell number be?
Betty
PM sent.
Big Len
You guys realize the latest forecast states Flo is turning to the southwest? Be careful out there.
Dion
Wishing you guys good karma. Gonna be tricky,be safe! pat.gif
naro914
4:20 on Wednesday and the forecast still is pretty OK...

Click to view attachment

An email went out to all registrants with updates, so check your email. I'm not sure how else to communicate with everyone before you get there.

Basically - not much has changed but things are in flux so stay tuned.

If you are NOT getting the emails, please let me know.

naro914
I've gotten a few people tell me they are not going to make it because of the storm. We are really sorry you're not coming but we understand. Once again...outside influences are affecting Okteenerfest....

For those that do not make it, we will certainly send you your T-Shirts - and probably your registration packets since I don't want them!

Again, sorry to hear those that can't make it. FYI, we will not be in Helen next year - in fact we have no clue what we're doing next year.... but we hope to see you in the future.
billh1963
I'm out. Latest track has it passing right over my weekday house. Three hurricanes in three years! Between my house and other properties up here there's no way I can be gone. Not to mention driving back Sunday right into the teeth of the storm!

Maybe Phil can pick up my goodies and the drop links I bought?

Click to view attachment
michael7810
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 11 2018, 05:31 PM) *

Meeting Clay, Betty and banjoey tomorrow AM for the remainder of the drive to Helen.
I need a beer beer3.gif

Day 3: 548 miles DFW to Livingston, AL. Kinda fixed the headlamp. Now I have 1 low beam but 2 hi beams. Maybe tomorrow I’ll fix the other low beam. Seems like the LED module is causing the intermittent short. It stopped blowing fuses when we unplugged it and now it half works (Matt if you see this before you leave home can you bring me a replacement? Muchas Gracias). Otherwise an uneventful drive for me but not for Bill. Hope he gets his electrical issues sorted and makes it to Helen. Thanks to Clay and Betty for being my wingman/woman today. I’ve met many nice people in the 8 years (tomorrow) of 914 ownership and they are right up there with the best.
3 day total is 1598 miles according to Google.
Tonight I had a beer beer.gif
aharder
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 12 2018, 06:49 PM) *

I'm out. Latest track has it passing right over my weekday house. Three hurricanes in three years! Between my house and other properties up here there's no way I can be gone. Not to mention driving back Sunday right into the teeth of the storm!

Click to view attachment

Bill,

Hoping this doesn't hit you too hard !
Good Luck
aharder
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 12 2018, 08:42 PM) *

Meeting Clay, Betty and banjoey tomorrow AM for the remainder of the drive to Helen.
I need a beer beer3.gif

Day 3: 548 miles DFW to Livingston, AL. Kinda fixed the headlamp. Now I have 1 low beam but 2 hi beams. Maybe tomorrow I’ll fix the other low beam. Seems like the LED module is causing the intermittent short. It stopped blowing fuses when we unplugged it and now it half works (Matt if you see this before you leave home can you bring me a replacement? Muchas Gracias). Otherwise an uneventful drive for me but not for Bill. Hope he gets his electrical issues sorted and makes it to Helen. Thanks to Clay and Betty for being my wingman/woman today. I’ve met many nice people in the 8 years (tomorrow) of 914 ownership and they are right up there with the best.

Thanks for the updates Michael !
I would love to drive mine 1500+ miles. Just not there yet. Maybe next year !
Jamie
QUOTE(aharder @ Sep 12 2018, 06:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Bill,

Hoping this doesn't hit you to hard !
Good Luck

With this projected rain coverage, I will most likely be driving in rain Sunday all the way from Helen to home in Lexington KY. Mistress is gonna' get wet! hissyfit.gif
aharder
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 12 2018, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(aharder @ Sep 12 2018, 06:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Bill,

Hoping this doesn't hit you to hard !
Good Luck

With this projected rain coverage, I will most likely be driving in rain Sunday all the way from Helen to home in Lexington KY. Mistress is gonna' get wet! hissyfit.gif

Just think about how much fun it will be drying her off lol-2.gif
Matty900
It was not looking good for me making it again this year. Did not get to drive out but I booked a flight last night and will be making it to Atlanta in the afternoon. Since I can't drive my car, I rented something fun and will probably wait for Bruce Stone and his son to get in a c carpool up with me. See you tomorrow! piratenanner.gif
914dave
Glad you’re coming Matt! Question for the group. Are there any self serve car washes in Helen? I need to get the road kill off of Smokey. Spray detailer ain’t gonna do it! Was even pulling chicken feathers out of the oil cooler screen from following a death truck on the road. Thought it was snow flurrying. Haha
naro914
QUOTE(914dave @ Sep 13 2018, 05:43 AM) *

Glad you’re coming Matt! Question for the group. Are there any self serve car washes in Helen? I need to get the road kill off of Smokey. Spray detailer ain’t gonna do it! Was even pulling chicken feathers out of the oil cooler screen from following a death truck on the road. Thought it was snow flurrying. Haha

We will have a car wash area set up at the hotel (hose, towels, and I believe other cleaning products provided from one of our sponsors.)

Gonna be a busy place!
914dave
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 13 2018, 07:13 AM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Sep 13 2018, 05:43 AM) *

We will have a car wash area set up at the hotel (hose, towels, and I believe other cleaning products provided from one of our sponsors.)

Gonna be a busy place!

Ok thanks
cashiersjm
I'll be heading for Helen around noon or 1PM & will bring an extra umbrella cover
for someone in need. It will be great to see everyone again.
snakemain
Got the oil changed and the parking brake unstuck. Still can't leave Montgomery until 4:00 this afternoon, so not gonna make it to Helen until Friday morning...I didn't even bother to book my hotel room in Helen for tonight. I'll try to make it past Atlanta this evening before it gets dark and roll out early Friday morning.

michael7810
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 12 2018, 05:42 PM) *

I need a beer beer3.gif

Day 4: I made it to Helen. Easy 336 mile day with a stop at Barber Motorsports Park. Only had a couple hours in the Vintage Museum which is a day short of how much time I would like to spend there. Started the day by locking the keys in the car but luckily the passenger window was cracked and Betty had a coat hanger. I love how cool my car runs in this part of the country. At least 25F cooler oil and CHT. Trip meter rolled past 914 for the second time about the time I crossed the Georgia state line. 4 day total is 1934 miles. Now to rest up for tomorrow’s fun drive. That’s it for me. I won’t bore you with details of the return trip unless something noteworthy happens. smilie_pokal.gif
snakemain
Nice! I may have gotten up to 200 degrees, but mostly below that at 80mph.
914four
[/quote]

Day 4: I made it to Helen. Easy 336 mile day with a stop at Barber Motorsports Park. Only had a couple hours in the Vintage Museum which is a day short of how much time I would like to spend there. Started the day by locking the keys in the car but luckily the passenger window was cracked and Betty had a coat hanger. I love how cool my car runs in this part of the country. At least 25F cooler oil and CHT. Trip meter rolled past 914 for the second time about the time I crossed the Georgia state line. 4 day total is 1934 miles. Now to rest up for tomorrow’s fun drive. That’s it for me. I won’t bore you with details of the return trip unless something noteworthy happens. smilie_pokal.gif
[/quote]

You need a picture of the Back Stage Barber Motorsports Park tour!

Click to view attachment
914Next
Well,

Sara and I may not be able to make it this year after all! Still holding out hope for at least driving up for Saturday.

We do have a room reserved at the Helendorf for tonight and tomorrow that cannot be cancelled. Not sure if I could transfer it to someone but thought I'd throw it out there in case one of you are looking for a room.

Steve
naro914
I can’t even begin to express my gratitude to all of you that contributed to help fund my seat in the Race of Remeberance in Wales. I was so overwhelmed and in such shock of what was going on that I’m sure i didn’t do a good job saying how humbled and grateful I am.

All of you are truly family and are the reason we do this. All we want is for everyone to have a great time,...I’m guessing we are accomplishing that?

Thank you

Thank you

THANK YOU!!!!
michael7810
I made it to Scottsdale at 6:30PM local today. I left Abilene early and was driving thru El Paso (my planned stop) at 10:30AM so I decided to keep on truckin'. 913 miles today and a 9-day total of 4285 miles. Time for a shower, beer and bed, I'll recap the trip tomorrow.
poorsche914
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 18 2018, 11:04 PM) *
913 miles today and a 9-day total of 4285 miles.

Should have driven around the block once or twice to make it 914 miles smile.gif

driving.gif
bandjoey
IN CASE YOU'RE AFRAID TO DRIVE ACROSS COUNTRY

2,704 miles later I'm home. Fort Worth to Okteenerfest to Atlanta to Savannah to Mobile to New Orleans to home. Was a blast.

Okteenerfest was more thank I expected. A super event.
Stopped into Automobile Atlanta. took the tour, and met Jeff...a great 914 guy too.
Fresh Stuffed Crab in Savannah and told my son to study harder.
Battleship Alabama in Mobile
Fortune tellers in New Orleans (I'll be rich one day - she didn't know I had a 914)
Home

Unusual electrical failure leaving town fixed by Mayo Performance and no more problems. THANKS for the quick service. Ready to go again!
michael7810
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 21 2018, 09:08 AM) *

IN CASE YOU'RE AFRAID TO DRIVE ACROSS COUNTRY

2,704 miles later I'm home. Fort Worth to Okteenerfest to Atlanta to Savannah to Mobile to New Orleans to home. Was a blast.

Okteenerfest was more thank I expected. A super event.
Stopped into Automobile Atlanta. took the tour, and met Jeff...a great 914 guy too.
Fresh Stuffed Crab in Savannah and told my son to study harder.
Battleship Alabama in Mobile
Fortune tellers in New Orleans (I'll be rich one day - she didn't know I had a 914)
Home

Unusual electrical failure leaving town fixed by Mayo Performance and no more problems. THANKS for the quick service. Ready to go again!

Glad you made it home OK. Hope to see you next year...unless
you want to drive out west for Rt66 in the spring
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.