Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2018 - Sept. 13-16
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mblizzard
QUOTE(lvnzdrm @ Sep 3 2018, 02:57 PM) *

OK... looking for some help, I spent the weekend sorting out the car, trans is all sealed up, vacuum leaks all sorted. I am still having an issue with power. It starts and runs, but the idle is low and very un responsive. I'm convinced it something simple. Any one here sorted out a 1.7 FI, I checked all grounds and connections in the harness. I am going to check the valves tomorrow evening, I was thinking maybe the FI triggers points might be acting up. also replaced the throttle cable is there an adjustment for wide open? Thinking maybe the Throttle Switch is set up correctly. I am available all the time, down to the wire to make this work, really want to make the trip in the 914.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to all input.

Ok so not the bet time to chase gremlins. But attached are a few documents to help.

First review the Trouble_shoot_D_Jet.pdf document and rule out as many as you can.

then look at the file DJetronic.pdf and check the information I have highlighted starting on page 7.

Next read through the file D_Jet_Man.pdf to research the ones you have questions about. The document is not laid out well but lots of good information.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Most important test is to verify fuel pressure is sufficient. Not sure what you have done to the car but in replacing the fuel filter once I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a pinched fuel line.

Keep us posted.
naro914
We are less than a week away!! At this point, everything is set in stone...maybe sandstone, but stone nonetheless!!

Trophies are done (kinda)
shirts are HOPEFULLY done (Steven?)
Meals are ordered.
Routes are finalized (assuming no hurricanes, house fires, gov't shut downs, etc.)
Huey actually started yesterday for the first time in months, so hopefully no issues (guess I should check)

Headed to Carolina Motorsports Park for a Drivers Ed - both driving (Papa Smurf) and selling stuff as a vendor. Busy last/upcoming few weeks!!

I will be sending out a final update next week to all the registrants about reminders of what/where/when.

See you all next Thursday night!
Mblizzard
Me sitting on side of road broken down. Doesn’t look good. Tow truck on the way.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 7 2018, 03:05 PM) *

Me sitting on side of road broken down. Doesn’t look good. Tow truck on the way.

headbang.gif blink.gif icon8.gif keep us posted Mike, I hope its nothing serious!
poorsche914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 7 2018, 01:25 PM) *
Shirts were being printed today but had to be pulled due to an error in one of the screens dry.gif
Back to the press on Monday. Cutting it close but will be done!

Hope it's nothing major, Mike!

driving.gif

ClayPerrine
Just found out this evening that the trailer has a bent front axle. So I have to go change it in the rain tomorrow. sad.gif

But it will be done in time for departure on Wednesday morning. piratenanner.gif
snakemain
Finally got it cranked and cleaned up after the cross-country move. Noticed the speedo doesn’t work anymore and there’s a slight clacking noise at WOT, but otherwise seems to be running fine. Hoping it’ll make the 4 hr drive next week.

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 7 2018, 01:55 PM) *

Shirts were being printed today but had to be pulled due to an error in one of the screens dry.gif

driving.gif

Looks like either a clutch trans issue or main bearings. Dropping trans this morning
billh1963
Hoping for the best!
914dave
Saturday before Okteenerfest! Oil change and prep for the big event. Wanted to send some good vibes to those of you still sorting out issues. May the car gods be with you!
bandjoey
There should be a thread called what am I doing to get ready for the next event.
I put the rain tray on the grill today and tossed and some beach towels to catch the drip from the roof seals. because it looks like rain is in the forecast
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 8 2018, 11:41 AM) *

There should be a thread called what am I doing to get ready for the next event.
I put the rain tray on the grill today and tossed and some beach towels to catch the drip from the roof seals. because it looks like rain is in the forecast

LOL, what are we doing to get ready?! well id say just see my thread.
looks like others are having those last minute issues. if i get the car running i am going to trailer it. not enough time to make sure its all going to be fine. i have driven this car to 5 straight okteenerfests, been all the way to Tangerine racing in CT and all the way back down to SC, even south florida. It ahould be fine, hope to see you all in a frw days, the storm is forecast to be right off the coast of the carolinas by Thursday,
so we will see. might have to bug out wednesday, they are predicting an evac by tuesday or wednesday at latest and since i work at a navy hospital i will have to be tied in to what ever they say to do.
snakemain
I gotta take the kids to school Friday morning, so I'll (hopefully) meet up with everyone Friday for lunch at Jake's.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 7 2018, 10:03 PM) *

Just found out this evening that the trailer has a bent front axle. So I have to go change it in the rain tomorrow. sad.gif

But it will be done in time for departure on Wednesday morning. piratenanner.gif

Got the trailer axle replaced. I was able to get the work done between rain showers, but when we drove to the trailer parts place, I got soaked trying to load the axle in a monsoon. We also had to take the long way home due to a wreck on the freeway close to the trailer parts place.

Also got the wheels back on Elwood, after Betty cleaned and waxed them. Got both cars vacuumed out, and I also tore apart our dryer and fixed it.

smash.gif

Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 8 2018, 01:33 AM) *

driving.gif

Looks like either a clutch trans issue or main bearings. Dropping trans this morning

Anyone got spare engine? Spun rear main bearing I think. So loose fly whell hit trans case.
Click to view attachment
Looks like I am done.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 9 2018, 11:16 AM) *

driving.gif

Anyone got spare engine? Spun rear main bearing I think. So loose fly who’ll hit trans case.
Click to view attachment
Looks like I am done.

sad.gif p
914dave

driving.gif

Anyone got spare engine? Spun rear main bearing I think. So loose fly who’ll hit trans case.
Click to view attachment
Looks like I am done.

Sorry to see this. Maybe the flywheel is loose? That’s a lot of radial travel!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914dave @ Sep 9 2018, 10:20 AM) *

driving.gif

Click to view attachment
Looks like I am done.

Sorry to see this. Maybe the flywheel is loose? That’s a lot of radial travel!

agree.gif

A spun bearing would cause a dull thud in the engine when running. For the flywheel to hit the bell housing would take a lot of travel, and it would lock up due to the rod journals hitting something in the case.

Mblizzard
Well it did not lock up but chunks of bearing in sump. Dropped it out a stripped it down. I have a rebuilt 1.7 of unknown quality but just can’t see me getting it in before Thursday and driving it. Looks like I will be having beer at the Hotel
sholman5
Hopefully hurricane Florence stays away from the East coast or we'll be drinking beer at home or in a hotel room.
ClayPerrine
Florence is going to crash the party, at least according to the National Weather Service. The projected track is through Fayetville NC. Florence is going to be 500 miles wide. Helen is about 300 miles west of Fayetville NC.

Gonna be a rainy weekend.

IPB Image

poorsche914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 9 2018, 06:12 PM) *
Gonna be a rainy weekend.

Good opportunity for 914 Rubber to sell some seals happy11.gif

driving.gif
IronHillRestorations
I don't have any extra Umbrella covers either sad.gif
DRPHIL914
if it keeps shifing more north as i expect it will due to the jet stream effect it may not be a factor at all. but if it does go more into SC/Georgia i might leave the 914 home and drive the boxster with the hard top,

.... na, probably not! i have an extra umbrella cover if anyone needs to use it.

btw, here is something i had not considered when doing a bumper back date- license plate location! i need a license place holder, if anyone has a really nice one i will buy it, if you can bring it to Helen.
914dave
Have my umbrella cover and I’ll be damned if I’m staying home. If it all goes wrong we’ll have a story to tell. At least one. Hahaha
Betty
Rain or no rain we're coming to Okteenerfest!!! I wouldn't miss it for the world - it's one of the finest group of people I know and some of the absolutely best times to be had. beerchug.gif

We will be bringing a pop-up canopy to shade people working on cars during the tech sessions.

Personally, I plan on sitting in a chair, drinking, and hollering "missed a spot' at random intervals to whoever's doing whatever to whichever car during the various tech sessions. happy11.gif cheer.gif
poorsche914
I have been told that if weather forces Friday's lunch at Aircooled Heaven to be moved indoors, dyno runs will not take place. sad.gif

Let's hope Florence veers far to the north!!!

driving.gif
sholman5
I have my umbrella cover. Won it in the raffle last year.
Rusty
Spent all weekend doing stuff with the car. Lots more to get done before Thursday.

I retired my umbrella cover after almost 20 years of abuse. How dare Perry make a product that only lasts two decades, half of that in the scorching sun, and several winters of ice and snow? It only outlasted two of my cars. I want a refund!!! hissyfit.gif

(Someday I'll get another one. They are cubic awesome.)

Jake Raby
We are going into wet weather mode for the lunch on Friday, just to be safe. We have enough room indoors to set up for lunch, so no big deal. If this happens we will have to use the chassis dyno area for lunch, so we’d not be able to host the dyno portion of the event.

The show will go on, in a slightly modified manner...
bdstone914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 9 2018, 03:28 PM) *

I don't have any extra Umbrella covers either sad.gif

Does that still make you the exclusive source to the covers ? smile.gif biggrin.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Sep 9 2018, 05:38 PM) *

I have my umbrella cover. Won it in the raffle last year.

Raffle it this year as they at in a NO STOCK, high demand.
lvnzdrm
Well I found a few things on the 72, faulty condenser and a restricted oil bath air cleaner, driving it to work today and will make the decision today to drive the 914. The Hurricane is making the decision even harder and harder. I don't mind a little adventure but chancing a breakdown in a hurricane with the wife might be the line. Watching the weather and will decide shortly.
naro914
We just can't catch a break can we? Gov't shutdowns, hurricanes, house fires... seriously...can't it just be easy one year?

Obviously at this point, they have no clue what's going to happen. I just pulled the weather for Helen this morning:

Click to view attachment

From this, you'd never know there was a storm coming.

Lets hope this is right!!

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2018, 07:24 AM) *

We just can't catch a break can we? Gov't shutdowns, hurricanes, house fires... seriously...can't it just be easy one year?

Obviously at this point, they have no clue what's going to happen. I just pulled the weather for Helen this morning:

Click to view attachment

From this, you'd never know there was a storm coming.

Lets hope this is right!!

Bob,

It is just your CARma at work!!! av-943.gif

(I slay me....)

Rusty
That's better than I was expecting.

I have an umbrella and a bottle of Crown. I'm ready for the hurricane! smile.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 10 2018, 08:51 AM) *

That's better than I was expecting.

I have an umbrella and a bottle of Crown. I'm ready for the hurricane! smile.gif

definitely have to prep with the required libations! how about some Langastura cherries, bitters, simple syrup, ice and of course your favorite rye wiskey or bourbon for the perfect Old Fashioned, or neat if that is how you prefer. and of course some good dark german brew! beer.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 16 2018, 08:56 AM) *

OK so this is pretty huge! Jerome of SPOKEWORKS Custom LED Solutions is providing some awesome prizes for this event!

Initial post had some confusing information. Thanks for catching that Steven!

First, how about a set of his custom LED rear brake lights for your 914?

Click to view attachment

Includes 2 brake boards, attachment clips, and screws for installation. Replaces brake light bulb. These things will get the attention of any one behind you!

As is that is not enough he is also sending as set for those of you that have 69 to 89 911s!

Click to view attachment

These things are 3x brighter than standard bulbs!

So if you haven't signed up get it one! Sign up closes August 24th!

Just as an update Spoke Works is providing a coupon for anyone for OKTEENERFEST for 10% off all purchases. This is active now and will expire 1 month after OKTEENERFEST on Oct 16. At checkout, if OKTEENERFEST is typed into the coupon code box, 10% discount will be applied.

Not a bad deal!
914dave
Well the forecast keeps getting worse the more I check it. I’m going to have to make a decision tomorrow on getting to Asheville by Wednesday. Then heading into Helen early Thursday and riding it out after that. They haven’t called for bad winds in Helen and Friday and Saturday don’t look bad yet. This sucks having to guess about the storm.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(914dave @ Sep 10 2018, 11:15 AM) *

Well the forecast keeps getting worse the more I check it. I’m going to have to make a decision tomorrow on getting to Asheville by Wednesday. Then heading into Helen early Thursday and riding it out after that. They haven’t called for bad winds in Helen and Friday and Saturday don’t look bad yet. This sucks having to guess about the storm.

True on the storm. But it will still be a fun time regardless.
jdamiano
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 10 2018, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Sep 10 2018, 11:15 AM) *

True on the storm. But it will still be a fun time regardless.

Hopefully all just part of the story!! Just keep hoping that cone moves north!
naro914
FYI, for those that are trailering and did not see the link in the email I sent out last week (I'll send another couple updates this week). Here is the instructions/directions to the trailer parking.

http://okteenerfest.com/wp-content/uploads...nstructions.pdf

When you park in the lot, if anyone asks, just say you are with the 914 group staying at the Helendorf, and that Lynn negotiated this with Bob Saville (it's all on the instructions).
naro914
I have received several inquiries regarding the weather situation this weekend.

While we appreciate that there is a major hurricane approaching, there is not much we can do about it. Everything is paid for with no refunds, so we can't really cancel or reschedule. However, from what I keep seeing, while we will probably get some rain, it may not impact us too severely. We can only wait and see what Big Blow Flo has in store for us.

I have sent out an email to all the registrants with basically this same information.

However, I did hear a rumor that Clay will be wearing a Speedo under his wet suit, so who would want to miss THAT? blink.gif
bandjoey
Even with the storm we shouldn’t see any bad weather before Sunday.
Jamie
It's amazing what we will suffer through just to get a T shirt! I'll probably have a 7 hr. drive in the rain, so I'm checking the condition of my wiper blades. I just hate to get Mistress wet, but it's happened before, and I'll just bail her out when we get back home! aktion035.gif
lvnzdrm
Well I got things sorted but still not enough to complete a proper shake down. We are close to the coast and things are getting crazy here. I've secured all cars in the garage and brought in all out door items. The wifey and I will still be leaving Wednesday AM and plan on having a great adventure. I'm sorry I'll miss having my car there but can't wait to see everyone and check out their cars. If there are 2 empty seats we may be game for the drive. See everyone soon. Safe travels!!
vw_porsche
Last minute alignment.
A little rain isn't going to scare off this Florida boy.
See everybody in a few days.
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 10 2018, 03:32 PM) *

However, I did hear a rumor that Clay will be wearing a Speedo under his wet suit, so who would want to miss THAT? blink.gif

Funny, I actually own a speedo.

But I don't own a wet suit.

Betty says "We do have diving equipment. Should we bring it?"

michael7810
Day 1: 435 miles Phoenix to El Paso. Smooth sailing until I got to El Paso and the freeway was closed. Finally go back on and there was a sign saying freeway closed all traffic take airport exit which luckily is where my hotel is. That means I’ll have to go through another detour in the morning when I depart for Dallas. Glad I didn’t try to make it to Dallas on Day 1.
billh1963
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 11 2018, 12:50 AM) *

Day 1: 435 miles Phoenix to El Paso. Smooth sailing until I got to El Paso and the freeway was closed. Finally go back on and there was a sign saying freeway closed all traffic take airport exit which luckily is where my hotel is. That means I’ll have to go through another detour in the morning when I depart for Dallas. Glad I didn’t try to make it to Dallas on Day 1.

Now that's a long drive! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.