Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So Cal Transmission Clinic May 26
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mtndawg
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 16 2018, 08:38 PM) *

Ya, I aint paying $195 for 8-10hrs of sleep so I booked at the Santa Clarita Motel about 4miles away. smile.gif

Bummer, I booked a couple of weeks ago and it was less. I also had some travel credits biggrin.gif
ValcoOscar
All I could do for now...what you think?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
kahluver
I inspected my two core transmissions I was going to rebuild in the clinic. One has a messed up case and the other is missing all of it's internals. Oops... I should have checked them out sooner. Any of you guys attending the clinic have an extra core that I could buy from you to rebuild?

I have one more trans but it's in my good 914 which I hoped to drive to the clinic. Worst case I'll drop this and bring it as it needs a new 2nd syncro.
iankarr
I have a spare case which u can have...just need to ship from NY
yeahmag
It’s probably out of the scope of the clinic, but I have a case you can have if you want it.
Dr Evil
Oscar, those pics look fine.

Gabe, we would not be able to swap a case as that would require R/P set up and many hours of work with a bunch more tools. A good core and just be re-done. I believe that was your intention, anyway.
Tdskip
Pretty sure the answer is “yes”, but Doc is the cover you want me to remove and takes pictures of the internals?

Click to view attachment
914-300Hemi
Maybe I’m blind but I don’t see the address in the first post.
Tdskip
PM RZ-1
kahluver
Hi Doc - Thanks for confirming. I understand that a full rebuild w/ R/P swap is out of scope.

I got one of the trans open last night. It's filthy but I'm willing to invest in a dozen cans of brake clean and save it assuming it can be saved. Here's a pic of the R/P - it's super grungy and sludgy. I'll try to get the nose cone off later today. Also, it needs a new rear case piece as it has a custom hillbilly billet mount. It looks like it was well machined but I lost admiration when I saw it was affixed by 11 allen head bolts. At least they were allen head and countersunk. confused24.gif

Here's a link to photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uj5YYbUoCU4koQqP2

I'd love to save it if I can. If It's savable, do you have any extra rear case pieces and side shift assembly (this trans is missing it's shifter)?
yeahmag
I likely have a spare cover. I’ll throw it in the pile of stuff I’m bringing and you and the good doctor can work something out if you want it.
Tdskip
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
MM1
Sorry Team-can’t rebuild this time-but I’ll be there to observe/learn/wrench (if anyone wants a hand). Will be there early to make any ice/store runs. PM sent to 914 ZR-1

Marcus
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 20 2018, 12:43 PM) *

Looks good.
Tdskip
Phew - thanks Doc!
914 RZ-1
As of right now, it looks like we have about 24 people coming (participants and observers). Those of you bringing food and drink might want to consider bringing enough for 36. Heaven forbid we run out!

If you get here early, Dr. Evil and I WILL put you to work or send you to the store to get stuff! Please don't arrive before 7:30; I need my beauty rest.

We have more people coming than I first thought, so parking could be crowded. There will be room, we just need to be considerate of my neighbors. We can work it out when you all get here.

See ya all Saturday! piratenanner.gif
Tdskip
Thanks again for hosting!
914 RZ-1
Is anyone going to be in town Friday night? Let me know; maybe we can get together and argue about who's car is rustier. I can't stay out too late because a bunch of people are coming over the next day...
914sgofast2
Got Tools???
I just spent a couple of hours running around trying to find a 30MM deep socket and a 32MM box wrench! Found the 30MM deep socket at Harbor Fright Tools, where I had to buy an entire set of 12 metric deep sockets from 10MM to 32MM just to get a 30MM deep socket. (Harbor Fright does not sell individual deep sockets in the larget sizes).

Finding the 32MM box/open end combo wrench was another story. Harbor Fright was sold out all over the entire Sacramento Region, so then I tried the Sears Store in Citrus Heights - no luck; the CarQuest Auto Parts Store in Orangevale - no luck; the NAPA Auto Parts Store in Orangevale - no luck; and finally the Sears Store in Roseville, where I bought the last 32MM box/open end combo wrench they had on the shelf.

It was sad going into the Sears Stores. I had forgotten that Sears is now going out of business. I got 20% off the regular Sears' tool prices. But not a lot of tools are left. They have been picked over already. Just a lot of oddball stuff was left.

If you are looking for 30MM deep sockets and 32MM box/open end combo wrenches to take with you to the Trans Clinic, I suggest you get busy. To my surprise, they were not easy to find, at least up here in the Sacramento Area.

Mike D.
mtndawg
I also went over to HF last weekend to look for the socket and big wrench, but elected not to buy the set you referenced as I already have too many sockets to buy another set. Hopefully I can interest someone in a drinks for tools exchange program.
yeahmag
I may throw some of these tools in the box of stuff I'm bringing. I know I have the 30mm deep socket and likely have the other stuff too.
gothspeed
Two day event and in Valencia? As of now it may be too far for a two day event. sad.gif

However I will try to make it on one day as a helper/spectator, but even that may not happen. unsure.gif
Dr Evil
Fellas, you don’t need the special tools like the socket and big wrench. I will have them and we will share. The usual tools I need turned are all you need, like 13mm sockets. You are all good. The other tools were only needed if you already have them. Don’t go buying big tools unless ya gonna dona few of theses. smile.gif

All of my packages are next to my bed here in San Diego except for the big one that is due to deliver to our graceous host today or tomorrow. All systems go!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 23 2018, 09:50 PM) *

Two day event and in Valencia? As of now it may be too far for a two day event. sad.gif

However I will try to make it on one day as a helper/spectator, but even that may not happen. unsure.gif

As per notes, this was changed to Saturday only. I will remove your name from the list.

To anyone else....I now have three peoples worth of new and used parts and would entertain last minute enterants to off set this cost.
Dr Evil
Highlighted first post to reflect where info is located to address most recent questions. Clarified in first post that this is a one day event as that info is buried throughout the thread but wasn’t updated in post one.

The biggest help to you, if you have one, would be an electric impact driver as it expedited the disassembly. Most work is clean and inspect. If any of you are motivat d to get done faster and not too interested in the hang out and learning aspect, or tight on time, just let me know and we can expedite your build simultaneous to the class being taught.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ May 21 2018, 11:19 AM) *

As of right now, it looks like we have about 24 people coming (participants and observers). Those of you bringing food and drink might want to consider bringing enough for 36. Heaven forbid we run out!

If you get here early, Dr. Evil and I WILL put you to work or send you to the store to get stuff! Please don't arrive before 7:30; I need my beauty rest.

We have more people coming than I first thought, so parking could be crowded. There will be room, we just need to be considerate of my neighbors. We can work it out when you all get here.

See ya all Saturday! piratenanner.gif

Got it, I am packed with the exception of food items I signed up for. I will pack food last minute.

We should have nice weather.

FYI...for whoever is getting drinks...per Dr's orders, I run Diet Pepsi through my veins.

Anything else we're missing??? Canopy?

driving.gif see ya Saturday morning

Oscar

Dr Evil
Tracking on the last box.

Also changed thread title to match actual date of clinic to hope to further stave confusion for those not reading the whole thread.
screenguy914
If daughter wasn't getting married that weekend, I'd be there.

Noticed you were trying to coordinate with SMC for space and assistance. They recently moved to a large warehouse/sales space in the Eagle Rock area (L.A.) and would be an ideal location and quid pro quo op for SMC. I can help bother Jorge if that helps nudge him. As far as volunteers, I can round up several if that helps.

Sherwood
Porsha Coffee meet (in LaCanada, once/month)
kahluver
Oscar- I'm getting some drinks and noted your Diet Pepsi.

Aaron - Thanks for packing the nose cone. I located a good trans this week locally so I shouldn't need it. It'd be good to bring it anyway in case someone else needs it.

I hope someone can bring ice and cooler as I'm packing my good 914 full and won't have room for a cooler.

And in case you want to get your own 30mm socket and 32mm box wrench, Amazon has them and if you're prime you can get them same day - better hurry as the clinic is tomorrow.

Dr - I opened and cleaned my trans tonight. Here's a pic of my R/P. It looks good to me... but what do I know, I'm not even your student yet. It was a little gunky inside but there are no missing teeth or anything weird.
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
I will bring an electric impact driver for people to use as helpful.

Sounds like we are OK for the deep sockets.

Any other open switches folks?
ValcoOscar
Well, I made something special for tomorrow.
I'm bringing a few FREEBIES for Dr, Host and all paid participants.
Extras will be made available @ $15/ea or two for $20

Jack Pad for 356 / 911 / 912 / 914 / 930

Some w script, others bare.

I just can't stand to throw away useful metal scrap.

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Oscar, that is so cool what an awesome thing to do! first.gif Wish I would have went now.

You're the man! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

PS Dr Evil I sent a PM yesterday, wonder if you could respond. I know you are busy in SD
Appreciate it!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(kahluver @ May 25 2018, 04:20 AM) *

Oscar- I'm getting some drinks and noted your Diet Pepsi.

Aaron - Thanks for packing the nose cone. I located a good trans this week locally so I shouldn't need it. It'd be good to bring it anyway in case someone else needs it.

I hope someone can bring ice and cooler as I'm packing my good 914 full and won't have room for a cooler.

And in case you want to get your own 30mm socket and 32mm box wrench, Amazon has them and if you're prime you can get them same day - better hurry as the clinic is tomorrow.

Dr - I opened and cleaned my trans tonight. Here's a pic of my R/P. It looks good to me... but what do I know, I'm not even your student yet. It was a little gunky inside but there are no missing teeth or anything weird.
Click to view attachment

Uh....your teeth on the pinion look weird. Is that from the degreaser?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 25 2018, 01:44 PM) *

Well, I made something special for tomorrow.
I'm bringing a few FREEBIES for Dr, Host and all paid participants.
Extras will be made available @ $15/ea or two for $20

Jack Pad for 356 / 911 / 912 / 914 / 930

Some w script, others bare.

I just can't stand to throw away useful metal scrap.

Oscar

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Ha! That’s fantastic! Very cool.
Dr Evil
Last package arrived! All systems go.
mtndawg
Looks awesome, I’m 100 miles south of Sacramento having lunch, hoping to be in town around 5:00.
Boomingbeetle
I also have a spare electric impact, and a handy drill-driver for use amongst some other tools. It’ll be too difficult for me to go get the 914 and return it after the clinic so I’m loading up the Subaru instead.

-lots of XL and L nitrile gloves (50-100pairs)
-6 cans brake clean
-paper towels
-misc tools inc 32mm wrench and several impacts

I’ll have a small furniture dolly/cart if needed, and also a small work table and camping chair for myself if needed also
914-300Hemi
Just need gas and all grocery shopping done.
See everyone tomorrow.
ValcoOscar
Me too...got everything on my list, also bought cheese so we can have cheeseburgers.

Watermelon looked fresh so I'm bringing that also.

I'm already hungry. chowtime.gif

Dr Evil
A few miles from hotel. Already had two cancellations today. We won’t be over crowded.
Steve
We are on our way. An address would be nice.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Steve @ May 26 2018, 10:29 AM) *

We are on our way. An address would be nice.

PMed
Steve
Thanks!
ValcoOscar
Here are some photos..

Oh crap..my trans is beyond repair.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
iankarr
That’s a whole lot nicer than breathing in kerosene heater fumes during a December in Virginia. And in Cali there are other things you can breathe in...enjoy!
Lucky9146
Looks like everyone is busy! Great looking garage and nice weather what more can you ask for. beerchug.gif (well maybe soda for now).
Wishing I could have made it there.
Sorry about your trans Oscar.
Thanks for the pics!
popcorn[1].gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Mike D.
Having fun!
Our leader and host!
Steve
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 26 2018, 09:58 AM) *

Here are some photos..

Oh crap..my trans is beyond repair.

Click to view attachment

This picture is the good Doctor wanting to strangle us, because of the poor cleaning job we were doing on our Parts. Thanks Mike for putting up with us!! Had a great time and learned a lot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.