Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Cayman Owners Roll Call
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
VegasRacer
I know there are several of us here who are smart enough / lucky enough to own a Cayman. crest.gif Please check in here and provide some details.
What options did your car come with? What mods have you done? Any problems? smilie_flagge6.gif Don't forget to add some photos.

2012 Cayman R wub.gif 6 speed manual, sport chrono, sport exhaust, PCM, CF sport bucket seats, painted seat belt pass.
Purchased CPO 10/14. 5K miles. driving.gif Currently 47K miles.

Modifications: smash.gif tinted windows, clear side markers, radiator grill guards, titanium lug nuts, hard wired radar detector.

Problems: None. smilie_pokal.gif Only recommended service plus replaced tires, battery, tires, TPMS and tires again.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jrblackbox
Very nice!
914forme
Trying to purchase one from a friend, he just can not give it up. Here is the drag, he does not drive it. Battery disconnected, sits in the corner of the garage. Used to be a beautiful car pampered as the day is long. Now he plays golf all the time, and does not drive the car. confused24.gif
Mueller
Do not own one, in fact I have not even driven one yet sad.gif

As a family we did stop off at a dealer for my wife to look at one, the salesman let my 12 year old daughter Taylor start it up and rev it up a few times which was very cool of him. Bright orange 718.

jim_hoyland
? Cayman ?
michael7810
Don’t own one but recently got a couple hot laps in this one at IMP. Would love to have one.
Click to view attachment
Jamie
I own a 2008 Cayman and love it still. Has 70K miles and I consider it an evolutionary model of my 73 914.
JRust
The closest I have gotten is my daughter riding in yours John. To which she says that car is "Stupid sick". When she got back in mine & 2 minutes down the road asked "Is this what slumming it feels like" dry.gif
Olympic 914
Well to start with I was only casually considering a Cayman.

After 4 years of finishing the 914, and having different problems arise when trying to take it on a trip, I started looking around for something that would be more reliable (and modern)

Saw a Sapphire Blue Cayman 718 at the local dealer and it was love at first sight. I don’t know why, this car just looks great in this color .

So I took the GF to see it when I picked up yet some more parts for the 914. Her first reaction was NO WAY! , you don’t have room for it, its too expensive, what are you going to do with the 914 etc, etc, etc.

She began to soften some after us being flatbedded home in the 914 with a broken rocker arm stud, then over heating due to a bad thermostat, the alternator giving up the ghost, and running home on battery twice. And finally the master cylinder going bad.

The Cayman with AC started to look a lot better.

I was playing around with the Porsche Configurator, since the Cayman on the dealers floor really did not have the options I would want in my dream car.

My dream car would be a 718 base in Sapphire Blue

PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PDLS lighting, Nav, base interior w/ heated seats, standard wheels. Sport exhaust tips, and a few other small bits. But this was all just a dream….

Then I find out that Porsche discontinued the Sapphire Blue color on the Cayman. So on a whim I do a search of the used cars and come across a 2017 Cayman S , Sapphire Blue, with the PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM +, PTV, PDLS lighting and a few good things I would not have picked such as the 20” Carrera wheels, two tone leather interior with Sport Tex heated seats. Minus the Nav but it was an “S” with the 350hp and the VTG turbo.
So one year old with 5200 miles, Porsche CPO warranty for 5 years unlimited mileage. (better than original warranty)

Now the GF was a little more interested, especially since it had AC. and the PDK which she could drive.

So we make the 300 drive from Pittsburgh to north of Philly to look at it, made the deal, then go back the next week with a trailer to pick it up.

I only have put around 1000 miles on it since I got it but it is phenomenal, both the power and handling. The two-tone interior I was a little worried about has grown on me, same as the Sport-Tex seats. This car has all the performance options I wanted and more, and doesn’t have some of the options I would NOT have wanted anyways such as the 14/18 way seats, Bose or Burnmeister stereo, LCA, adaptive cruise, things I would not have wanted to pay for.

It seems like someone ordered this car just for me and knew better than I did which options to choose. I knew if I did not buy this car I would forever be kicking myself for letting it get away. I plan on keeping it for 10+ years
Here are a couple pictures. Since we all like pictures…..

Yeah its the same car, the color looks different depending on lighting.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
KSCarrera
Just sold my 2014 981 Cayman PDK to buy my 914! Came with PASM, 20in Carrera wheels, Bose sound, communication package, sport exhaust, etc. Great car, but after owning hot-rod 911/912s and a 914/6, the Cayman was just too perfect, too soulless, so it had to go.
Click to view attachment
Minerva's 914
Click to view attachment

Does a 987.2 Boxster count? It's mid-engined and you have the option of wind in the hair just like the 914. 2009, PDK with 62,000
Super90
2018, 718 Cayman S. Full leather, all options such as apple talk etc, pdk, sport chrono, 20" wheels, big brakes, a/c,and so on,..when you feed feed all the turbo boost you can to this little guy its a G force experience. Dont know why I'd ever consider a 911 after owning this rocket. Garage buddies with the teener, but the daily 'hoss is the Ford King Ranch truck.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mlindner
I have a 2007 Cayman S with 21,000 miles, all stock. And lucky to still have my 914 for almost 40 years. 2019 will be the year to get it back on the road. Best, MarkClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Porschef
Wife’s brother drove his here last fall from Seattle, not directly, more of an upper US tour. No issues. Non S, PDK. I drove it around with him for about 20 minutes, immediately after driving the 914. Kinda like going from Brontosaurus burger to Chateau Briand...

Anyway, lovely car. He’s rather conservative, and drives as such. I may have put a scare or two into him driving like a typical Long Island jackass... biggrin.gif

iankarr
2009 987.2 bought new. Use it as a DD and it’s been amazing. 100K miles now and it’s just getting started. I commute to NYC so I got the PDK. It seems to read your mind about what gear you’d like to be in. The biggest surprise is how great the car is in the snow (with winter rubber).

I do a lot of my own maintenance (oil, plugs, coils, brakes). The biggest issue I’ve had is the hatch release servo died. I replaced it and all is well again. Though I do have that much-discussed hatch rattle when it’s cold outside.

Click to view attachment
914sgofast2
We have a 2006 Cayman S. Bought it from first owner with 25,000 miles in December 2008. Around 45,000 miles the oil vapor separator went bad and had to replace it, along with both the catalytic converters which went bad from all the oil it was burning. Had to replace the water pump at 70,000 miles. At 90,000 miles had to replace the serpentine belt and all the tensioner and idler bearings, including the alternator pulley bearing. At 105,000 miles had to replace all brake pads front and rear, as well as replace both front rotors and spark plugs. Also had to replace the horns because they both died around 60,000 miles. Car is stock with the Sport Chrono package. My wife uses it as her daily driver now. Overall it has been very reliable. No IMS issues so far.
daytona
I consider my self lucky to have been able to order a brand new Cayman S in April of 2007. I order the car with all the options I wanted.
Atlas gray with full leather terracotta interior, sports seats and steering wheel, PASM, PSM, Carrera wheels, Bi-Xenon headlights, Bose stereo. Only mod to the car was a change to clear indicator lenses that was a gift from the dealer.
The car now has 47,000 miles and has been mostly trouble free. Only issues were a broken seat adjuster knob, and a wandering radio that were serviced under warrantee. Post warrantee I've had an interior door handle break but was very reasonable to have it repaired. I still enjoy the car very much and see my self keeping it for a very long time. I have autocrossed the car a fair amount and have had a lot of fun with it. I am about at the end of usable life on the second set of tires, and change the oil and filter every year. The Cayman is also lucky enough to share the garage with some cool garage mates.
Bill.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914_teener
987.1 2006 Cayman S 6MT Lapis Blue. I too could not resist it in blue.

No PASM although I wish I had it sometimes depending what road I.m driving on. One thing I really love is the ECO mode for the air. Never have to mess with it.

No issues except some idler pullies ect. Normal maintenance stuff.

I don.t believe you can really drive on the street to test the envelope that this car is capable of. It is truly everything the 914 could have been in it's era

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Vision......

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Hate when that happens....
preach
I have a 2007 CS.

Bought it at 43k miles and in three summers it has 35k more.

1 set of front tires
3 sets of rear tires
1 front rim from hitting a turtle in the fog...still balances but I can feel it.
1 set of fuel rails
1 inside drivers door handle broken, but working
2 trips west to east San Diego, CA to Portsmouth, NH
24 states total
5-6 months in storage a year
??? nicks and bruises.

Mods (very loose use of the term so far):

PO put a clear engine cover on it. I like it.
Clear side lenses received this last xmas not installed
Weathertech mats
1/3 covered in clear bra

Yeah, I suck. It will be paid off shortly then funds for fun.

When I lost the fuel rail I realized I could have burned the thing up in glorious mid-engined fashion. I was able to diagnose the issue through the clear engine cover.

If that happened, I would have used the insurance money to get another 6cyl Cayman...an upgrade from the S.

When I die you will have to pry the keys to the 914, CS, and my Westy from my cold, dead hands.

Regular maintenance intervals by a friend who has run a private porsche shop for 20+ years and factory trained for 30. I think he likes that I DRIVE the thing.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
danschy
Have had my 2007 Cayman for about 7 years. I'm retired, in my late 60's, and had planned more cross-country trips than have actually occurred - I've only put about 10k miles on it. It handles and accelerates great, but to be honest, it lacks the 914 exhilaration I experienced in the 15 years I drove my 74 914/2l. Very, very different driving experience. I've driven a lot of nice cars over the years, but nothing compares with what I felt driving my old 914.Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
Yes, I've owned a 987.1 - 2007 Cayman S for about 3 yrs now. It is everything the press raved about when it came out. A GREAT car! It is not as raw as my 914, but is very capable and fast enough for me.
Click to view attachment

As for Mods, I put on the center radiator, the mantis deep sump with 996 swirl pots and the underdrive pulley to reduce Power Steering heat issues.

It needed a new steering rack when I bought it (leaking) but otherwise, it has been very reliable.
Click to view attachment
Robarabian
2014 Cayman S

PDK; 20 inch Carrera wheels, clear front signal markers.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jkb944t
2006 Cayman S Purchased in 2008 with 26K and have 70K on it now. Use it as a track car and for autocrossing as well as spirited county drives. This car is simply amazing to drive! piratenanner.gif

Options: 6 speed manual, sport chrono, sport bucket seats, Sport exhaust tips, Bose

Modifications: clear side markers, blacked out fog light trim, track tires (Cayman R springs, GT-3 control arms and sway bars after the picture was taken!)

Only issue has been power steering reservoir/return line leak last year. Major pain to fix that! headbang.gif

Jeff B

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chief
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's mine!
S Sport Edition. Number 256 of 700 made. What a car....
Only alterations I have done are cosmetic. Changed some of the colour on the front P.U to black. Tinted the driving lights to amber and changed the colour of the wheel backs....
jesse7flying
Big fan of the Cayman. Have had two Boxsters and love them, but could do without the rag top. When I sell my experimental airplane, I'll be in the market for a nice 2009 model in blue with a tan interior. PDK, of course.
914_teener
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Feb 28 2019, 08:13 AM) *

Big fan of the Cayman. Have had two Boxsters and love them, but could do without the rag top. When I sell my experimental airplane, I'll be in the market for a nice 2009 model in blue with a tan interior. PDK, of course.

987.2 is rare.....in Blue ever rarer. I looked for a year.

Good luck with your search.

Experimental Airplane...cool.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 28 2019, 08:26 AM) *

987.2 is rare.....in Blue ever rarer. I looked for a year.

It took me 9 months to find my first Cayman 09 S. It was a 14 month quest for a replacement.

Know exactly what you want - Be diligent in your search - Be patient - Be ready - Pounce - Enjoy your prize.

Click to view attachment

Gone but not forgotten.

ValcoOscar
idea.gif

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Love them and want one.
Was in a shop recently where among many other Porsche race cars (4 914s) there were more than twenty race preped Caymans.......most were GT4s
Bulldozer27
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 26 2019, 12:23 PM) *

987.1 2006 Cayman S 6MT Lapis Blue. I too could not resist it in blue.

No PASM although I wish I had it sometimes depending what road I.m driving on. One thing I really love is the ECO mode for the air. Never have to mess with it.

No issues except some idler pullies ect. Normal maintenance stuff.

I don.t believe you can really drive on the street to test the envelope that this car is capable of. It is truly everything the 914 could have been in it's era

Click to view attachment

This brings a tear to my eye. I had the same year in the same color, also without PASM. Blew the engine due to oil starvation (a common issue with the M97 engine when driven HARD), but I still maintain that it was the best handling car I've ever driven. Lapis Blue FTW!!!
roblav1
I have one too. Non S 2008. My favorite car ever, and I've had many.
iankarr
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 1 2019, 07:47 PM) *

Love them and want one.
Was in a shop recently where among many other Porsche race cars (4 914s) there were more than twenty race preped Caymans.......most were GT4s

DeMan Motor Sports???
rgalla9146
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 2 2019, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 1 2019, 07:47 PM) *

Love them and want one.

DeMan Motor Sports???

Yes.
Known Rick for thirty years.
Great guy, dream business.
slivel
My two mid-engine mistresses - both 3.4 liter but completely different in character.

Cayman S, with 20 " sport techno wheels, PDK , sport exhaust, infotainment system, 14 way seats, some other minor options.

914 in process of returning to street hot rod after being track-only for 23 years.

Love them both.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
beerchug.gif
BillC
I'm actually on my third Cayman. First was a 2006 S, midnight blue metallic. Second was a 2012 R, dark blue metallic. Current is a '16 GT4, also dark blue metallic, which has turned out to be the rarest non-PTS paint color for these models.

Here are a couple of action shots. The GT4 is far faster at autocross, but surprisingly, not quite as entertaining.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Had a 987.2 Cayman S and liked it, but seemed to take more photos of my second Cayman, a GT4. In a 911 again as a daily, but wouldn't say no to another Cayman. Great cars, not good cars.

But if I was gonna do another, I'd have a hard time passing a 987 up. I really liked the styling and size.
zig-n-zag
I have a 2011 Cayman S bought used from Porsche. It has a PDK Sport Chrono Plus, Sat Navi with module, Infotainment Bose system, black leather interior with standard bucket seats. Non-PASM, no sport exhaust. Aftermarket 19-inch rims. Mileage when purchased was 16,800. As this was a CPO car, I got a 4 year 48k extended warranty as well. I was looking for a Cayman R, but when this came up locally, I grabbed it.
preach
Love those wheels!
914_teener
Nuther shot of mine.

Seems like I am enjoying this car a whole lot and no time to drive the 914.

So....as I am sorry to say that it was for sale and of a few weeks ago an offer came to me that I could not refuse. I am already regretting it but I think maybe sometime I will try and get a car either a six conversion or another Cayman. I will still hang out from time to time but I always wanted a six, just didn't think it would be this.

I'll be back.

Rob

Click to view attachment
preach
Monday my headliner dropped. Apparently it is common due to the cheap foam used.
Worst part is that I am leaving, in the Cayman, for a trip to the Pittsburgh vintage grand prix for a week, then to Chattanooga, TN for a week.
I am off to an upholsterer Monday to see if I can have it properly fixed in time for the trip but most likely I will be rednecking a fix. FML.
914_teener
Here is one I saw at the PEC in LA.
Liked the accenting.

My headliner is in good shape still. I.d do the same if it meant a chance to drive the car.

KSCarrera
I guess everyone already knows that the 981 Caymans and the GT4 are/were built at the old Karmann factory in Osnabrück, where our beloved 914s were created.
preach
Just got back from my third 3000+ mile trip in my Cayman.

Just shy of 3300 miles from NH to Pittsburgh, PA for the Vintage Grand Prix then down to Chattanooga, TN and another run on the Tail of the Dragon as well as the Cherohala Skyway amongst other great roads.

This is by far the best car my wife and I have owned for touring/spirited driving trips.
Gatornapper
On my 2nd Cayman, a 2011 Cayman S (987.2), PDK/Sport Chrono w/355+hp Softronics Performance Tuning, 19" Turbo II wheels, Bi-Xenon Cornering lights, Bose Surround, PSM, clear side markers. Don't need a GTS or GT4 as this car is already way more than I'll ever need in performance - and looks. Very grateful to own the most perfect car on the road......had it 6 years, 80k mis. on it now - I drive it. Best quality car ever, wife drives a Lexus.......I spoil her - it pays off well...... ;-)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cal
I'm considering purchasing a one owner 2006 Cayman S that has 36K miles. These cars seem like an absolute bargin right now. My only hesitation with purchasing it is the potential IMS and cylinder scoring issues. Is this an over blown topic or something to seriously consider.
stevend914
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 23 2020, 07:24 AM) *

I'm considering purchasing a one owner 2006 Cayman S that has 36K miles. These cars seem like an absolute bargin right now. My only hesitation with purchasing it is the potential IMS and cylinder scoring issues. Is this an over blown topic or something to seriously consider.

If the IMS fails it will be quite costly, you will need to price the cost of upgrading the IMS in the cost of the car.
914_teener
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 23 2020, 05:24 AM) *

It is. The IMS issues in an 987 is way overblown. The bore scoring is can be an issue in mostly cold climates when not warming the car up properly.

My 06 CS has 80k on it now. 30k is nothing on these cars. Do an thorough PPI with a shop that can inspect the cylinder bores. The IMS is a non servicable item with M97.21 engine but is more robust than the M96.

Otherwise get a 987.2, but they run about 15k more on average.

These cars are some of the best cars Porsche had built for the money and the grin factor is well worth it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.