Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Cayman Owners Roll Call
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Cal
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 23 2020, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 23 2020, 05:24 AM) *

I'm considering purchasing a one owner 2006 Cayman S that has 36K miles. These cars seem like an absolute bargin right now. My only hesitation with purchasing it is the potential IMS and cylinder scoring issues. Is this an over blown topic or something to seriously consider.

It is. The IMS issues in an 987 is way overblown. The bore scoring is can be an issue in mostly cold climates when not warming the car up properly.

My 06 CS has 80k on it now. 30k is nothing on these cars. Do an thorough PPI with a shop that can inspect the cylinder bores. The IMS is a non servicable item with M97.21 engine but is more robust than the M96.

Otherwise get a 987.2, but they run about 15k more on average.

These cars are some of the best cars Porsche had built for the money and the grin factor is well worth it.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the feedback @914_teener I was actually considering a 987.2....but they’re hard to find with a manual at a fair price. I have an opportunity to buy a one owner 9K mile 2011 Cayman S in the color combo that I wanted, Silver / Black, with a manual.....but the owner wants $50K.
914_teener
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 23 2020, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 23 2020, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 23 2020, 05:24 AM) *

I'm considering purchasing a one owner 2006 Cayman S that has 36K miles. These cars seem like an absolute bargin right now. My only hesitation with purchasing it is the potential IMS and cylinder scoring issues. Is this an over blown topic or something to seriously consider.

It is. The IMS issues in an 987 is way overblown. The bore scoring is can be an issue in mostly cold climates when not warming the car up properly.

My 06 CS has 80k on it now. 30k is nothing on these cars. Do an thorough PPI with a shop that can inspect the cylinder bores. The IMS is a non servicable item with M97.21 engine but is more robust than the M96.

Otherwise get a 987.2, but they run about 15k more on average.

These cars are some of the best cars Porsche had built for the money and the grin factor is well worth it.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the feedback @914_teener I was actually considering a 987.2....but they’re hard to find with a manual at a fair price. I have an opportunity to buy a one owner 9K mile 2011 Cayman S in the color combo that I wanted, Silver / Black, with a manual.....but the owner wants $50K.

I wouldn.t put that much of a premium on low miles...plently of 987.2 out there for less than 50k. MT as you have found out are hard to find in a 987.2.

Talk about unicorns, John has had a 2009 987.2 MT and then a Cayman R. To give you a price comparison, an R will go for an little north of 65k. You should be able to find a nice 987.2 for between 20k and 35k. Under 20k....987.1 which I think is a bargain.

Anything more than 50K you can get any 981 you like. The 718 value the bottom is dropping out with them as you might imagine why.

Wyvern
Click to view attachment
914_teener
When I dive into a corner I don.t worry about the IMS.

I wanted to make sure no one thinks it.s a 911.

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
I had a 2005 987 Boxster S. A great car but very different from a 914.
wysri9
Here is my 2015 Cayman S - best driving car I ever owned......beats a 911 hands down in my view......
Click to view attachment
mlindner
1st and 2nd best driving cars ever.Click to view attachment
Camaro Mike
Click to view attachment Here is my 2006 next to my black '74 2.0.
914_teener
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 29 2020, 05:36 AM) *

Love that picture and the license plate.
worn
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 29 2020, 05:36 AM) *

That is also a great looking garage. I have long admired the clever lift. Maybe I will see you when 151 thaws.
Gatornapper
Sorry, duplicate post....deleted it.....
Gatornapper
Rick Berkowitz (Richb45) is a good friend with a sweet restored '72 914 - and he and his wife drove my 2011 meteor grey Cayman S - and so loved it, they went and bought its almost-twin!

They found a mint '11 meteor grey Cayman in Rhode Island and got it for $29k, and now we have both nice Cayman's AND 914's!

So here are some pics of our almost twins.......

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

euro911
There's more Cayman owners here than I would have thought idea.gif

I had been looking at Boxters since last summer - pre 2000 or post 2005, with the more reliant IMS bearings. A couple months ago, started thinking, we already have a 914 that the top comes off of, so started looking at Caymans. I think they look sexier anyway cheer.gif

Being that we'd be spending a lot of time in AZ, I wanted a light color exterior and light interior ... preferably silver with tan or light gray, but ended up purchasing a white 2007 'S', 6-speed manual with tan interior.

I test drove a few that I just weren't worth the price - broken bits here & there, and one had real noisy cam chains yikes.gif The inspection on the last one I looked at indicated it was a well-maintained specimen and the test drive was exhilarating driving.gif aktion035.gif

Planning to keep it for a long time ... either until I can't drive, or have a hard time getting in & out of it laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Looks like Bi-xenon option too.

Nice addition Mark.

Enjoy.
VegasRacer
Congratulations Mark. smilie_flagge6.gif
Nice addition to your stable & welcome to the club.
preach
Mark, you are going to love it.
oldschool
Hijack confused24.gif ....What a nice group of Caymens.....I know folks don't dug on Boxsters but after driving my 3.4 now for a few years....just feels so right! Click to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 25 2020, 09:48 PM) *

Hijack confused24.gif ....What a nice group of Caymens.....I know folks don't dug on Boxsters but after driving my 3.4 now for a few years....just feels so right! Click to view attachment

Hey....fellow prisoner...shoot me a PM...I need to get out of the house. I.ll drive with a boxster......six feet away of course!

Monday I.m off work.
oldschool
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 25 2020, 10:50 PM) *

Hey....fellow prisoner...shoot me a PM...I need to get out of the house. I.ll drive with a boxster......six feet away of course!

Monday I.m off work.

Sounds like fun...PM me your number.
euro911
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 25 2020, 11:06 PM) *

Monday I.m off work.
Nothing wrong with Boxters, Jamie. In fact, I've got a line on a pretty nice silver 1997 w/5-speed and approx 85k on it for a really great price. The only problem is ... where to park it so my wife doesn't see it laugh.gif
914 Ranch
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 26 2020, 02:48 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 25 2020, 11:06 PM) *

Monday I.m off work.
Nothing wrong with Boxters, Jamie. In fact, I've got a line on a pretty nice silver 1997 w/5-speed and approx 85k on it for a really great price. The only problem is ... where to park it so my wife doesn't see it laugh.gif

Hand her the key and till her if she can't drive it she will have to go back...
914 Ranch
I am interested in having my name added to this list as the HB house is about to go up for sale. I think I would really like have an R in blue.
Tdskip
Cool to see these, thanks for starting the thread guys.

VegasRacer
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Mar 26 2020, 07:08 AM) *

I think I would really like to have an R in blue.

Happy Hunting & Good Luck my friend. first.gif

1421 - Total Cayman R Production.
563 - North American
61 - Canada / Mexico
797 - Rest of World

My best info is that only 7 to 10 % are Aqua Blue Metallic.
Click to view attachment
23% Green. 22% White. 20% Black. 12% Silver. 8% Blue.
7% Red. 5% Grey. 2% Yellow. 1% PTS.
Also: 60% PDK and 60% Standard Seats.
Gint
This will go at some point and a Cayman take it's place. I love the way it drives, but it made me realize that I really wanted a Cayman instead.

Click to view attachment
914_teener

I am interested in having my name added to this list as the HB house is about to go up for sale. I think I would really like have an R in blue.

I.m looking for an R but I.d take John.s if he.d sell it. poke.gif

I.d sell you my 987.1 for a song Joe. I.m waiting too to sell one of our houses to make the deal. Right now realators in Cali can list but not show the property.

I wouldn.t buy a teener....a house....or a Cayman sight unseen.

I absolutely love my CS thougn. It.s a great car like the 914....they all should have had flat sixes though.
914 Ranch
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 28 2020, 05:29 PM) *

I.m looking for an R but I.d take John.s if he.d sell it. poke.gif

I.d sell you my 987.1 for a song Joe. I.m waiting too to sell one of our houses to make the deal. Right now realators in Cali can list but not show the property.

I wouldn.t buy a teener....a house....or a Cayman sight unseen.

I absolutely love my CS thougn. It.s a great car like the 914....they all should have had flat sixes though.

Nice color but have you seen my build thread. I'm probably going to need the performance that you are seeking…

Click to view attachment

But I want a Cayman…

Yes, they all need 6's

Click to view attachment

Olympic 914
So I've owned the 718 Cayman S for two years, and this is the FIRST time I have had it and the Teener out together. confused24.gif

Had to take some pics. Then drove them both today.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Nice color drooley.gif
Gatornapper
Stunning, Mark. Stunning. Good on you.

White w/tan interior is as elegant as it gets.

Mine is my last car even if I live to be 90........so I'm with you on that....

GN

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 25 2020, 07:50 PM) *

There's more Cayman owners here than I would have thought idea.gif

I had been looking at Boxters since last summer - pre 2000 or post 2005, with the more reliant IMS bearings. A couple months ago, started thinking, we already have a 914 that the top comes off of, so started looking at Caymans. I think they look sexier anyway cheer.gif

Being that we'd be spending a lot of time in AZ, I wanted a light color exterior and light interior ... preferably silver with tan or light gray, but ended up purchasing a white 2007 'S', 6-speed manual with tan interior.

I test drove a few that I just weren't worth the price - broken bits here & there, and one had real noisy cam chains yikes.gif The inspection on the last one I looked at indicated it was a well-maintained specimen and the test drive was exhilarating driving.gif aktion035.gif

Planning to keep it for a long time ... either until I can't drive, or have a hard time getting in & out of it laugh.gif

Gatornapper
Ok, Tom. You done did it.

Now I've got to get a pic of both my Porsche's together.

And it's all your fault.

GN

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Apr 29 2020, 05:41 PM) *

So I've owned the 718 Cayman S for two years, and this is the FIRST time I have had it and the Teener out together. confused24.gif

Had to take some pics. Then drove them both today.

Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 16 2018, 11:33 AM) *

Well to start with I was only casually considering a Cayman.

After 4 years of finishing the 914, and having different problems arise when trying to take it on a trip, I started looking around for something that would be more reliable (and modern)

Saw a Sapphire Blue Cayman 718 at the local dealer and it was love at first sight. I don’t know why, this car just looks great in this color .

So I took the GF to see it when I picked up yet some more parts for the 914. Her first reaction was NO WAY! , you don’t have room for it, its too expensive, what are you going to do with the 914 etc, etc, etc.

She began to soften some after us being flatbedded home in the 914 with a broken rocker arm stud, then over heating due to a bad thermostat, the alternator giving up the ghost, and running home on battery twice. And finally the master cylinder going bad.

The Cayman with AC started to look a lot better.

I was playing around with the Porsche Configurator, since the Cayman on the dealers floor really did not have the options I would want in my dream car.

My dream car would be a 718 base in Sapphire Blue

PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PDLS lighting, Nav, base interior w/ heated seats, standard wheels. Sport exhaust tips, and a few other small bits. But this was all just a dream….

Then I find out that Porsche discontinued the Sapphire Blue color on the Cayman. So on a whim I do a search of the used cars and come across a 2017 Cayman S , Sapphire Blue, with the PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM +, PTV, PDLS lighting and a few good things I would not have picked such as the 20” Carrera wheels, two tone leather interior with Sport Tex heated seats. Minus the Nav but it was an “S” with the 350hp and the VTG turbo.
So one year old with 5200 miles, Porsche CPO warranty for 5 years unlimited mileage. (better than original warranty)

Now the GF was a little more interested, especially since it had AC. and the PDK which she could drive.

So we make the 300 drive from Pittsburgh to north of Philly to look at it, made the deal, then go back the next week with a trailer to pick it up.

I only have put around 1000 miles on it since I got it but it is phenomenal, both the power and handling. The two-tone interior I was a little worried about has grown on me, same as the Sport-Tex seats. This car has all the performance options I wanted and more, and doesn’t have some of the options I would NOT have wanted anyways such as the 14/18 way seats, Bose or Burnmeister stereo, LCA, adaptive cruise, things I would not have wanted to pay for.

It seems like someone ordered this car just for me and knew better than I did which options to choose. I knew if I did not buy this car I would forever be kicking myself for letting it get away. I plan on keeping it for 10+ years
Here are a couple pictures. Since we all like pictures…..

Yeah its the same car, the color looks different depending on lighting.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Beautiful color, really makes the lines pop...
Been thinking the same way, but...maybe I ought to get the 914 finished first! Lol.
Olympic 914
718 Cayman S vs 911

PLUS

Super cute cat girl,

English subtitles... But you can't look away from Super Cute cat girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIh16Wb9XT4...eature=emb_logo
iankarr
Siblings. 35 years apart.
Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ May 27 2020, 04:37 PM) *
718 Cayman S vs 911

PLUS

Super cute cat girl,

English subtitles... But you can't look away from Super Cute cat girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIh16Wb9XT4...eature=emb_logo
Hmmm ... Cat Girl cheer.gif ... drooley.gif
VegasRacer
Miami Blue.
Click to view attachment
roblav1
Two together. The 40th Anniv 911 is now sold with my 914 GT tribute in its place.
914_teener
QUOTE(roblav1 @ May 28 2020, 05:33 AM) *

Two together. The 40th Anniv 911 is now sold with my 914 GT tribute in its place.

2008 987.1 for your Croc?

Be honest....which did you enjoy more?

Edit....trying to bump Cat Woman ofd the page as well.
euro911
Well, my shifter cable(s) snapped this evening when my wife & I were preparing to leave from a dinner engagement. Started the car and proceeded to engage reverse gear, and BAM! Floppy shift lever and stuck in neutral (which turned out to be a good thing), it allowed AAA to load it up on a flat bed and transport to my home. I'll be ordering some new cables tomorrow (Friday) dry.gif

Click to view attachment

roblav1
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 29 2020, 12:22 AM) *

QUOTE(roblav1 @ May 28 2020, 05:33 AM) *

2008 987.1 for your Croc?

Be honest....which did you enjoy more?

Edit....trying to bump Cat Woman ofd the page as well.

The 40th car was fun, but I prefer the Cayman.
914_teener
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 29 2020, 01:05 AM) *

Well, my shifter cable(s) snapped this evening when my wife & I were preparing to leave from a dinner engagement. Started the car and proceeded to engage reverse gear, and BAM! Floppy shift lever and stuck in neutral (which turned out to be a good thing), it allowed AAA to load it up on a flat bed and transport to my home. I'll be ordering some new cables tomorrow (Friday) dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Opportunity to get the Numeric set up. The difference is unbelievable. Expensive but well worth it.
euro911
Too late ... already got a set of OEM on the way. Thanks for the recommendation ... I'll look into those Numeric cables type.gif
euro911
Well, cables should be delivered on Tuesday. Got the car back on the lift and will start removing the center console and engine bay's heat shields tonight or tomorrow ...

Click to view attachment

Also purchased a new serpentine belt and an AOS valve ... I may need to replace those 'while I'm in there' ... we'll see, when I gain access popcorn[1].gif
euro911
Had a chance to get the Cayman up in the air this afternoon and found the shifter problem. One of the cable end sockets popped off one of the linkage ball joints blink.gif

Click to view attachment

I popped it back on and temporarily secured it with some zip-ties. The 'new' cables were delivered today, but we're good for now. I'll toss them in the trunk and replace them at a later date, when I have more 'spare' time.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 3 2020, 09:04 PM) *

Had a chance to get the Cayman up in the air this afternoon and found the shifter problem. One of the cable end sockets popped off one of the linkage ball joints blink.gif

Click to view attachment

I popped it back on and temporarily secured it with some zip-ties. The 'new' cables were delivered today, but we're good for now. I'll toss them in the trunk and replace them at a later date, when I have more 'spare' time.

Mark, is this the car u will be driving this saturday?
914_teener
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 3 2020, 09:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The Numeric cables have a metal heim joint instead of the plastic OEM. They become brittle from the heat and do exactly that.

Common higher miles issue on these cars and the boxes.
euro911
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 3 2020, 09:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

It's pencil'd in on the calendar ... all depends on if I have the new shingles on the roof by Friday afternoon confused24.gif
914_teener
Washed the 987 and took it for a long drive after the fires.

Took the 138 past Lake Silverwood to Crestline. Really fun and beautiful day.

Click to view attachment
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 16 2018, 03:10 AM) *

I know there are several of us here who are smart enough / lucky enough to own a Cayman. crest.gif Please check in here and provide some details.
What options did your car come with? What mods have you done? Any problems? smilie_flagge6.gif Don't forget to add some photos.

2012 Cayman R wub.gif 6 speed manual, sport chrono, sport exhaust, PCM, CF sport bucket seats, painted seat belt pass.
Purchased CPO 10/14. 5K miles. driving.gif Currently 47K miles.

Modifications: smash.gif tinted windows, clear side markers, radiator grill guards, titanium lug nuts, hard wired radar detector.

Problems: None. smilie_pokal.gif Only recommended service plus replaced tires, battery, tires, TPMS and tires again.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Nice car ! I have a completely stock 08 Basalt Black with Sand interior, no problems to report 87K miles
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 26 2020, 01:59 PM) *

I think I would really like to have an R in blue.

Happy Hunting & Good Luck my friend. first.gif

1421 - Total Cayman R Production.
563 - North American
61 - Canada / Mexico
797 - Rest of World

My best info is that only 7 to 10 % are Aqua Blue Metallic.
Click to view attachment
23% Green. 22% White. 20% Black. 12% Silver. 8% Blue.
7% Red. 5% Grey. 2% Yellow. 1% PTS.
Also: 60% PDK and 60% Standard Seats.

Beautiful Color ! Hmm, why didn't it add the pic of the car I was complimenting ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.