Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Cayman Owners Roll Call
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Feb 26 2019, 08:48 PM) *

Yes, I've owned a 987.1 - 2007 Cayman S for about 3 yrs now. It is everything the press raved about when it came out. A GREAT car! It is not as raw as my 914, but is very capable and fast enough for me.
Click to view attachment

As for Mods, I put on the center radiator, the mantis deep sump with 996 swirl pots and the underdrive pulley to reduce Power Steering heat issues.

It needed a new steering rack when I bought it (leaking) but otherwise, it has been very reliable.
Click to view attachment

All these "Blue" cars ! can't find one in California, seems every Cayman in CA is Silver... mine is Basalt Black
Would really love a blue with sand interiorClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 13 2020, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 26 2020, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Mar 26 2020, 07:08 AM) *

I think I would really like to have an R in blue.

Happy Hunting & Good Luck my friend. first.gif

1421 - Total Cayman R Production.
563 - North American
61 - Canada / Mexico
797 - Rest of World

My best info is that only 7 to 10 % are Aqua Blue Metallic.
Click to view attachment
23% Green. 22% White. 20% Black. 12% Silver. 8% Blue.
7% Red. 5% Grey. 2% Yellow. 1% PTS.
Also: 60% PDK and 60% Standard Seats.

Beautiful Color ! Hmm, why didn't it add the pic of the car I was complimenting ?

That's ok. I have better pictures of it except they are too big in file size. Too lazy to downsize the files. If it is mine it is Lapis Blue. While they had a few in 06 as standard after that year it was a premium color and you had to pay the Porsche discount. You don't see very many. When I saw my car....and I origianly was looking for a Saphire Blue 981.....couldn't find one. I looked a long time for a 987.2 but also couldn't find one in blue either.

It's got almost 80k on it but to say how much fun it is to drive would be an understatment. No problems accept the regular maintenance. The PO had the headliner and rear trunk liner done in Alcantera and I put a Soul x pipe in the rear. Hated the stock tips on the S.
euro911
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 12 2020, 08:13 PM) *
Washed the 987 and took it for a long drive after the fires.

Took the 138 past Lake Silverwood to Crestline. Really fun and beautiful day.

Click to view attachment
I thought you moved to AZ confused24.gif

I just washed all the ash off of mine this past Saturday, then pulled it under the lift and put the car cover on it ... so it'll be nice and clean the next time I have the chance to take it out for a drive driving.gif
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 16 2018, 11:41 AM) *

I own a 2008 Cayman and love it still. Has 70K miles and I consider it an evolutionary model of my 73 914.

That is a Great Color !
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 13 2020, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Feb 26 2019, 08:48 PM) *

Yes, I've owned a 987.1 - 2007 Cayman S for about 3 yrs now. It is everything the press raved about when it came out. A GREAT car! It is not as raw as my 914, but is very capable and fast enough for me.
Click to view attachment

As for Mods, I put on the center radiator, the mantis deep sump with 996 swirl pots and the underdrive pulley to reduce Power Steering heat issues.

It needed a new steering rack when I bought it (leaking) but otherwise, it has been very reliable.
Click to view attachment

All these "Blue" cars ! can't find one in California, seems every Cayman in CA is Silver... mine is Basalt Black
Would really love a blue with sand interiorClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Oh yeah, just saw the Headliner post. I too had a sagging Headliner, did mine in Suede looks sweet
914_teener
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 13 2020, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 12 2020, 08:13 PM) *
Washed the 987 and took it for a long drive after the fires.

Took the 138 past Lake Silverwood to Crestline. Really fun and beautiful day.

Click to view attachment
I thought you moved to AZ confused24.gif

I just washed all the ash off of mine this past Saturday, then pulled it under the lift and put the car cover on it ... so it'll be nice and clean the next time I have the chance to take it out for a drive driving.gif

Hey Mark....

We move half our Cali house to AZ in November. We closed on it in August and decided to rent back to the PO. Too friggen hot this year during the Summer as you know.

Still have my mom's house in Cali and our's so probably gonna keep our's for a while until I retire. I'll be there for all of November and December. Gonna take the Cayman out there for a few month's and looking forward to taking it for drives. Mule deer are a serious threat in the Prescott forrest tough. Gonna start looking for another Cayman or 914-6 later next year. Retirement gift to myself.

Hope to see you out there when we move and some of the other old So Cal crew.
euro911
thumb3d.gif
Jake Raby
I sold my last Cayman a while back... here it is turning 8,000 RPM happily, after 8 years of track time on my 3.8L engine, based from a 987.1 3.4L.

https://youtu.be/3VR1pGqbklg
914_teener
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 15 2020, 07:49 PM) *

I sold my last Cayman a while back... here it is turning 8,000 RPM happily, after 8 years of track time on my 3.8L engine, based from a 987.1 3.4L.

Good to see you posting again Jake.....

So thinking down the road here. M97.21 are you still doing these? Or L&N or Vision?

Or should I just move on to the 9a1 in the 987.2 . I love my first gen S. I'll need a clutch in another year so....while I'm there syndrome.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 16 2020, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 15 2020, 07:49 PM) *

Good to see you posting again Jake.....

So thinking down the road here. M97.21 are you still doing these? Or L&N or Vision?

Or should I just move on to the 9a1 in the 987.2 . I love my first gen S. I'll need a clutch in another year so....while I'm there syndrome.

Of course my Flat 6 division is kicking ass with these.. Most are 3.8L, Stage II making 320RWHP from a gen 1 Cayman M97.21. It is an astonishing 70HP gain over stock.
We are booked till February 2022 for these engines, and it just keeps getting better!
914 Ranch
Well I've come to join in your ranks as I've put another Permagrin on my face. She is '16, dark metallic blue, has 12000 miles on the clock.

Click to view attachment

Never thought I would be alive to see the end of my divorce, now I am a happy camper...
VegasRacer
Congratulations Joe. boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
914_teener
w00t.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Welcome to the fold Joe!

12k....not even broken in yet.

Congratulations!
914_teener
R envy.

The Corona Covid run this last June.

Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Oct 22 2020, 09:24 AM) *
Well I've come to join in your ranks as I've put another Permagrin on my face. She is '16, dark metallic blue, has 12000 miles on the clock.

Click to view attachment

Never thought I would be alive to see the end of my divorce, now I am a happy camper.

DUDE !!! beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Oct 22 2020, 08:24 AM) *

She is '16, dark metallic blue, has 12000 miles on the clock..

Well Joe, confused24.gif What do you think? wub.gif Is she a keeper?
914 Ranch
Thank you John, your influences are always the best. I am in Love with her and I don't believe she can be replaced...
I hadn't used the sport button yet and was doing about 20 and pushed it as I approached a slow turn and scared the shit out of me as the engine growled at me as I down shifted. WTF, well I am learning...
914_teener
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Dec 7 2020, 03:14 AM) *

Thank you John, your influences are always the best. I am in Love with her and I don't believe she can be replaced...
I hadn't used the sport button yet and was doing about 20 and pushed it as I approached a slow turn and scared the shit out of me as the engine growled at me as I down shifted. WTF, well I am learning...

I was going to say....he's busy driving it and my quess is that it has over 12k miles on it now.

If you like the growl at 20...you'll love the scream of ectasy at 6K RPM.

Keep us informed please...and we'll see you in the southwest this coming year Joe.....with your GT Cayman.
CHIZ 914
piratenanner.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 7 2020, 08:02 AM) *

If you like the growl at 20...you'll love the scream of ecstasy at 6K RPM.

w00t.gif yikes.gif biggrin.gif :gigglelikeaschoolgirl:
euro911
Haven't driven mine for months dry.gif ... but been racking up the miles on the Subaru OB back & forth, to & from AZ driving.gif
dflesburg
Here is my 981 and my old 914-6 GT clone...

Click to view attachment

dflesburg
Click to view attachment
dflesburg
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed

Click to view attachment

Never thought I would be alive to see the end of my divorce, now I am a happy camper...

Dark Blue Metallic…one of the rarest colors because it was discontinued. Congrats!

And if you haven't already seen it, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hr3...IkEw/edit#gid=0

(Be sure to click on the "Summary" and "Options" tabs…)
914_teener
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 7 2020, 03:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Dark Blue Metallic…one of the rarest colors because it was discontinued. Congrats!

And if you haven't already seen it, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hr3...IkEw/edit#gid=0

(Be sure to click on the "Summary" and "Options" tabs…)

Cool spreadsheet Pete. My God 7.5k for PCCB's and the yellow vises...yikes.

Where/Who compiled this? @horizontally-opposed It's the Jeff Bowlsby sheet on GTS Caymans.
914_teener
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Dec 7 2020, 02:46 PM) *

Nice twins. Difficult to decide which to drive I would imagine.

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 7 2020, 07:29 PM) *

Where/Who compiled this? @horizontally-opposed It's the Jeff Bowlsby sheet on GTS Caymans.

A guy on Rennlist compiled it. Super cool.

My one regret after getting my GT4 was skipping PCCB. The car had to be one of the least-optioned GT4s in the U.S. (I think $1600~ in total options?). The no-cost light silver wheels—which were one of my favorite options—would only stay light silver for 15-30 minutes after washing them. PCCB was also a "deal" on the first GT4…I think $1000-1500 less than the same brakes on other models like the GT3 and Turbo because they were worried about the Cayman segment customers. Maybe even PCNA saw correlations to the 914? lol-2.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 7 2020, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 7 2020, 07:29 PM) *

A guy on Rennlist compiled it. Super cool.

My one regret after getting my GT4 was skipping PCCB. The car had to be one of the least-optioned GT4s in the U.S. (I think $1600~ in total options?). The no-cost light silver wheels—which were one of my favorite options—would only stay light silver for 15-30 minutes after washing them. PCCB was also a "deal" on the first GT4…I think $1000-1500 less than the same brakes on other models like the GT3 and Turbo because they were worried about the Cayman segment customers. Maybe even PCNA saw correlations to the 914? lol-2.gif

Yes it is very cool.

As far as the options on these cars Porsche did the same thing on many of their indtroductory models. Mine is a 2006 which as you know was only offered in the S version kind of like they did with the 914 and the -6 2.0 engine. They offered special colors like Lapis Metalic Blue (mine) as a premium color for 1,500 but after 2006 is was a 3,500 option. So you just don't see many like Joe's in that color since the cost if you got it later cost $$$. Same goes for PCCB as well.

When I go to PCA events....when they still had em....you see the Caymans always segregated out from the 911's with the GT's sitting off in their lonesome with either two types of owners:

1. Those who drove the snot out of them with all types of pits and road patina

and....

2. Those who had a spotless car with a finely printed list of options it had neatly fitted in the windshield.

Looks like Joe has a No.2 previous owner car, although I think he's a No. 1 type owner. Enjoy Joe! @914 Ranch

I really think though for the 987 series Caymans,Porsche really did a great job incorporating a lot of their earlier styling and believe it will be a classic in the making if not already. It's almost the top of the ICE era. Of course I'm biased.
dflesburg
I have never even had to get the spyder 6 piston brakes hot. They are overkill for that car for sure. I have no regrets. Also, that 914 GT was sold to pay down the spyder. So no I don't have that one anymore. I obviously prefer driving the spyder... And if you are wondering, no, its not stock anymore. LOL.
914_teener
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Dec 8 2020, 12:13 PM) *

I have never even had to get the spyder 6 piston brakes hot. They are overkill for that car for sure. I have no regrets. Also, that 914 GT was sold to pay down the spyder. So no I don't have that one anymore. I obviously prefer driving the spyder... And if you are wondering, no, its not stock anymore. LOL.

I had to sell the 914 because there was no more room in the stall and the better half's new car was outside, plus an offer was made I could not refuse that is still burning a hole in my pocket.

I agree the brakes are like a brick even for the S. Never tracked my car but I think that's why they were offered.
914_teener
Looking at an R this weekend.

One owner always in CA. Asked for a DME on the engine. 98k on the clock but the price is reflected in it. Has PDK which is what I want. Done with a stick in traffic.

VegasRacer
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 11 2021, 11:17 AM) *

Is it the yellow one? beerchug.gif
euro911
Are yellow ones faster?
PaulFV8
Since I haven't bought a 914 yet (only a big pile of parts), I haven't had much to post but just found this thread so here is my 09. Bought from Bodymotion with only 39k miles on it, 2.9, 6-speed, because that was the legal engine/trans for IMSA ST and built into a race car. Bodymotion cage and all the right parts for IMSA but never raced. It's been posted for sale in several places and is perfect for AER, but this is a tough time to sell a race car. We ran 25 laps at Summit Point as a shake down - 1:25s on Hankooks. Wish I could race it but that time has passed. Here is a link to the in car for a lap

https://www.facebook.com/100003317498840/vi...46778498776036/
914_teener
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jan 11 2021, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 11 2021, 11:17 AM) *

Is it the yellow one? beerchug.gif

drunk.gif

That'd be the one....there's also another....I'll bet you know what color that one is too John.

Tell me...do you know the color of that one confused24.gif laugh.gif

Edit:

Jeez...two Crocs' in the garage....what to do.
914_teener
QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Jan 11 2021, 02:08 PM) *

Since I haven't bought a 914 yet (only a big pile of parts), I haven't had much to post but just found this thread so here is my 09. Bought from Bodymotion with only 39k miles on it, 2.9, 6-speed, because that was the legal engine/trans for IMSA ST and built into a race car. Bodymotion cage and all the right parts for IMSA but never raced. It's been posted for sale in several places and is perfect for AER, but this is a tough time to sell a race car. We ran 25 laps at Summit Point as a shake down - 1:25s on Hankooks. Wish I could race it but that time has passed. Here is a link to the in car for a lap

https://www.facebook.com/100003317498840/vi...46778498776036/

Nice plug and play for the track. Wish I had the time. It is a tough time to sell a race car but hopefully this too will pass.

Good luck looks like it has all the right goodies.
CHIZ 914
beerchug.gif
Gatornapper
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ac11...anes/001(2).MOV

January 1st my '11 Cayman S hit 89,000 miles. I drive it. If I own it, I drive it, ride it, work it - nothing is to sit and look pretty or brag about.

With ECU re-tune she's pushing 355+ hp (upgrade 2 years ago), I continue to love this car so much, I have no plans to ever replace it. At 75, it's all I need and so much more.

But love driving my 914 just as much and need to get my engine back in it if I can ever get the bay cleaned up enough.

GN

PS: Any way to embed a .mov file? Camera took some pics as .mov by error.
914_teener
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jan 12 2021, 07:44 PM) *

January 1st my '11 Cayman S hit 89,000 miles. I drive it. If I own it, I drive it, ride it, work it - nothing is to sit and look pretty or brag about.

With ECU re-tune she's pushing 355+ hp (upgrade 2 years ago), I continue to love this car so much, I have no plans to ever replace it. At 75, it's all I need and so much ore.

But love driving my 914 just as much and need to get my engine back in it if I can ever get the bay cleaned up enough.

GN

I've had mine for three years now. I'm like Mark, splitting my time between AZ and Cali. Took it on a drive last time from LA to AZ about a month ago through the great Ponderosa Pine forrest. It's hard to ever imagine a better car. I've got the where with all to get.....God forbid a 997.... but I just don't think it gets any better than a 987 with a 3.4 flat six and 300 HP in a mid engine platform.

On the way back to CA, I could see some dim lights coming up in the rear view mirror. I got curious so I slowed down. As I slowed down they seemed to speed up. About a half mile behind me as I looked back, the profile of the lights and stance seemed all too recognizable and just as I thought this, here besides me was a Peridot Green 987.2 R with a thumbs up..followed by a large group of bikes. Unforgettable.

I do miss my teener though......kinda wish I'd kept it but you never know what life holds in the future.

I agree...you have to drive these cars, otherwise what's the point.
euro911
I agree, there is no other car that I've driven that has the balance, weight distribution and road hugging attributes of the 987 I acquired last year. The 914's have some of the same attributes, but still fall short in some areas.

Unfortunately, I'm still recuperating from my December 27th. mishap, so my Cayman is sitting in the garage in AZ until I feel well enough to get back out there dry.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 12 2021, 09:47 PM) *

I agree, there is no other car that I've driven that has the balance, weight distribution and road hugging attributes of the 987 I acquired last year. The 914's have some of the same attributes, but still fall short in some areas.

Unfortunately, I'm still recuperating from my December 27th. mishap, so my Cayman is sitting in the garage in AZ until I feel well enough to get back out there dry.gif

Stay healthy Mark. Hope and pray for you and your wife.
euro911
Thank you, Rob beerchug.gif
preach
I've had mine (987.1) now since 2016. Amazing car!

I have put 50k miles on it in that time (~92k total) which includes 4 trips across country between San Diego and Seacoast NH and one round trip from NH to Chattanooga, TN. It is quite the GT car for sure.

I have run the Tail of the Dragon twice and once on the Cherohola Skyway both in TN. Countless canyon runs in Southern California and the best the New England has to offer.

All told I have been through 28 states in the thing.

Issues/maintenance for 50k miles:

Tires
Regular Oil changes
More tires
A split "Y" on the fuel rail
A dropped headliner
More tires (get the picture? About 30k miles for the fronts, 15k for the rears)
Broken inner driver's door handle

Just ordered a complete exhaust from Soul Performance (soulpp.com). I cannot wait for it to get some singing lessons from that!

I'll say it again...amazing car!

Click to view attachment
914_teener
I got it......

Everything's there and the kevlar seats. Can't believe I bought it.

Click to view attachment

@vegasracer
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 16 2021, 03:04 PM) *

I got it......

Click to view attachment

@vegasracer

Congrats Rob. It looks amazing. What are doing with your other Cayman?
VegasRacer

I got it......

OUTSTANDING. aktion035.gif beerchug.gif boldblue.gif Congratulations. smilie_pokal.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Jan 16 2021, 04:14 PM) *

I got it......

Click to view attachment

@vegasracer

Congrats Rob. It looks amazing. What are doing with your other Cayman?

Broke even.....Susan doesn't like the color but I love it. She claimed that's what happens at 60.

So I sold it for what I bought it for and had three great years of driving it for free.

I don't plan on selling this one.
914_teener
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jan 16 2021, 06:26 PM) *

I got it......

OUTSTANDING. aktion035.gif beerchug.gif boldblue.gif Congratulations. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks John. Tought you might like some company somettime in the club of 500.
euro911
Nice acquisition, Rob aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.