Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best looking wheels for a narrow body - what say you?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Rand
Everyone has an opinion. Mine is, don't go aftermarket. Fuchs of course. Mahle's are my favorite.

Rivs are a great sleeper if you black out the middle and polish the lips. Looks awesome on cookies too if you are 5-lug.

Just don't ruin things by putting paint on wheels that should never be painted, or destroying factory finish to make it blingy shiny. It cheapens things. This is the worst sin on 4lug Fuchs. Painting black between the paddles on a four lug is the worst of all! It only screams fake.

Keep things somewhat vintage correct. Putting more modern wheels that are too far away from the decade the car was made, just looks wrong. If it belongs on a modified boxster, especially if bling, it does NOT belong on a 914.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 9 2019, 09:11 AM) *

hub caps and Fuchs...Click to view attachment

Delphi on a Persian rug? YKM? wink.gif
IronHillRestorations
IMHO the four lug Fuchs are the best wheel for a stock body 914, and like Rand says “no paint”! Original finish or fully polished (if you like extra bling). I love five lug Fuchs too, but they are so common.
rgalla9146

Magnesium Minilites. Period correct, 1970
914forme
agree.gif Even Aluminum are just fine.
Jett
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 16 2021, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 9 2019, 09:11 AM) *

hub caps and Fuchs...Click to view attachment

Delphi on a Persian rug? YKM? wink.gif

smile.gif Costco rugs we bought for our new home so the dog wouldn’t slip on the floors, we later bought “traditional” rugs and moved these to the garage smile.gif
mepstein
One of the reasons I like Fuchs so much, other than their iconic shape, is they are forged aluminum and rarely get bent or knocked out of true. A lot of the other choices are cast and are very soft. It's very hard to find a set of Mahle's that aren't bent.
bahnzai
Would be interesting to see theses “steelie” look on a 914 five lug. They are by HRBB in aluminum, around 15 pounds each in the 15” diameter. 15” and up in diameter options, custom width and offsets...

Click to view attachment
bahnzai
16x7 fronts and 16x8 rears

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 16 2021, 08:35 PM) *

One of the reasons I like Fuchs so much, other than their iconic shape, is they are forged aluminum and rarely get bent or knocked out of true. A lot of the other choices are cast and are very soft. It's very hard to find a set of Mahle's that aren't bent.

Jim at EASY once said he felt Fuchs made the best wheels for a production car he'd ever seen, period—and he was somebody who had seen a lot of Porsches after their demise. His reason was the same as yours: they're forged and of extremely high quality. He said he had rarely seen a failure of any kind. Years have passed since then, and a (small?) number of aging Fuchs on Porsche club racing cars have cracked around the lug nuts as people have continued to race on ever improving tires that can feed wild loads into them. It's helpful to remember these wheels were original equipment for Porsches built between 1966 and 1989, and mainly intended for street cars.

It's be great if Porsche would again offer the "deep 6" and 7R, as I sometimes wonder about the heat cycles and impacts experienced over 50 years of use. The obvious alternative is a cast-aluminum replica from Braid, Group 4, or Maxilite—which I believe all build their wheels with competition in mind. But nothing is quite like a forged Fuchs wheel, and it's very cool that two designs were offered for the 914, in four and five lugs.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Feb 17 2021, 05:50 AM) *

Would be interesting to see theses “steelie” look on a 914 five lug. They are by HRBB in aluminum, around 15 pounds each in the 15” diameter. 15” and up in diameter options, custom width and offsets...

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Feb 17 2021, 09:27 AM) *

i like those!, wonder what the offset is for the 6" and 7", would be perfect for the AX tires.
forrestkhaag
7 inches under a rolled fender works for me.....
beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
OEM steelies on my sorely missed yellow 6
A rare sight these days.
aturboman
Couldn't agree more Rory, 914-6 lends itself so well to the simplicity of the early steelies.

My ex-Irish Green 6 also sorely missed

Click to view attachment
VoPo914
Mahles!
Root_Werks
There is a lot of really great looking combinations, thanks everyone for sharing pictures!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(VoPo914 @ Feb 17 2021, 01:15 PM) *

Mahles!

Love the whole thing....beautiful !
Best shut lines I've seen in years.
bahnzai

[/quote]

i like those!, wonder what the offset is for the 6" and 7", would be perfect for the AX tires.
[/quote]

Phil, I think any offset you want. They are two piece welded aluminum, customizable...but pretty pricey for an old frugal 914 owner like me wink.gif
But I like them too...
Mueller
I'm partial to the 15x7 Phonedials (23.3mm offset) and my 15x7 BBS-Mahles.

Click to view attachment
Rand
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 18 2021, 03:54 PM) *

The complex webbing of the bbs style either appeals to you or doesn't. I still can't find a way to like them on a 914. (Or anything else I've tried...nrrp.)
Phonedials.... Even tougher to fit into a time or design. hmm... I just can't like them on a 914 either.

Dang man, didn't mean to disagree, lol, just thinking out loud. beerchug.gif
Definitely an interesting topic with lots of perspectives, so staying open minded and enjoying it.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 18 2021, 05:54 PM) *

IPB Image

They look great, but they are a fuching pain in the butt to clean.

Clay
Big Len
I like widened steelies.
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Whatever one's personal taste…

My thanks to @Tdskip for what has to be the best single thread I've seen on wheel options for narrow-body 914s.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 18 2021, 03:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sure like where this is going.

Ride height and wheel/tire package nailed for a hot rod, and Ivory + silver BBS-Mahles + burgundy = a simple look that's very, very pretty. It isn't hard to see this recipe turning into a stunner.
71six
Since the original question was "What do you think the best looking four stud wheels on a narrow body 914 are?" my humble opinion are these.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
I have to agree with @71six - I really like the mini-lite wheel on the 4 lug cars. It's a tough call between that and the stock finished Fuchs wheels. beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 19 2021, 05:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 18 2021, 05:54 PM) *

IPB Image

They look great, but they are a fuching pain in the butt to clean.

Clay

Exemplified
Why you wan to do dis?
Sycolyst
Enkei's are my weapon of choice. (Looking for a center cap if anyone knows where to source one).Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(aturboman @ Feb 17 2021, 10:08 AM) *

Couldn't agree more Rory, 914-6 lends itself so well to the simplicity of the early steelies.

My ex-Irish Green 6 also sorely missed

Click to view attachment

gets my vote.
dream.
(might have something to do with the color. if its irish its good).

love the steelies.
even sh*tbox 74 vw steelies.
proper. german. hard core.
alloys are g#y?
aussie opinion please ignore.

don't mind cookie cutters. american. probably why.
minilites look great on anything. funny thing that.
but...i'd still go steelie.
hub caps on. hub caps off.
doesn't come any better than that for saying what mood you are in.
rgalla9146
Back in the eighties I'd often go to PCA gatherings with my orange 6 that at the
time had original steel wheels and hub caps.
More than once a person would comment that it was a nice car.....
then, when they got to the back they'd exclaim....'Oh ! it's a six !'
Painted steel wheels about as modest as you can get. Very stealthy.
Widened steelies ?......even better. Remove the hubcaps....a bit racy. Period racy.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 9 2019, 08:18 AM) *

What do you think the best looking four stud wheels on a narrow body 914 are? Fuchs? Mahle? American Racing?

Love the ATS wheels on a 914 especially a white one. I imported these from Germany as we had a division there back in the day. Pic taken back in the mid 80's. Sold that car and just found it in Cincinnati with the wheels still on it

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour

True that A budy had 6 got 5..
Re barrel..
Carbon-14
Click to view attachment
Nicely finished,
appears clear coated.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(DblDog @ Feb 20 2019, 05:10 PM) *

Black on Black....

Click to view attachment

Have many people done this mod to their 4 lug Fuchs?

I've always wondered how the 4 lug Fuchs would look if the centers were painted solid black and the lip kept silver. These look really good. @DblDog Did you have these done professionally or DIY?
Freezin 914
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Mar 22 2021, 08:30 PM) *

Black on Black....

Click to view attachment

I've always wondered how the 4 lug Fuchs would look if the centers were painted solid black and the lip kept silver. These look really good. @DblDog Did you have these done professionally or DIY?
DTMLGND
QUOTE(RichPugh @ May 31 2019, 07:21 PM) *

I'll chime in with 16x7 Fuchs (or Euromeister reps as in my case w/ R888Rs on them smile.gif )

IPB Image

IPB Image

Looks Great!!! Where'd you source the Multi-color Side Script? I like it.
Chris H.
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Feb 17 2021, 05:50 AM) *

Click to view attachment

These are NICE. Not much info out there on pricing but they can't be cheap.

HRBB Outlaws
pilothyer
As for the 4 lug wheels I like the Fuchs and the Revolution.Click to view attachment
pilothyer
RevolutionClick to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Mar 24 2021, 05:04 AM) *

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Mar 22 2021, 08:30 PM) *

Black on Black....

Click to view attachment

Nice. Did you DIY or have them done professionally?
Richmck914
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Feb 20 2019, 02:19 PM) *

Here is mine (Boxster rims)....

Click to view attachment

love this look! what size tires are you running?
Mark Henry

QUOTE(RichPugh @ May 31 2019, 07:21 PM) *

I'll chime in with 16x7 Fuchs (or Euromeister reps as in my case w/ R888Rs on them smile.gif )

IPB Image

IPB Image

@RichPugh
How much did you have to pull the fenders?
What size tires?
RichPugh
How much did you have to pull the fenders?
What size tires?

I didnt pull the fenders at all in front... but in the rear I literally just pulled them gently by hand just to give them a few mm clearance at the lip edge. It's tight but no rubbing. I'm running 205/45-16 all around Toyo Proxes R888R

- Rich
dlmorley
Personally I love the Pedrini (not mentioned in this thread??) and Mahle
On an early car, I also think the steel wheels with hubcaps is perfect too.
IPB Image
Geezer914
My vote is Mahles.
Shackleford
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Feb 10 2019, 11:54 AM) *

My vote would be these......

What are those? I love them!
mepstein
QUOTE(Shackleford @ Feb 25 2022, 01:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Feb 10 2019, 11:54 AM) *

My vote would be these......

What are those? I love them!

Magnus Walker wheels. NLA.
Shackleford

[/quote]
Magnus Walker wheels. NLA.
[/quote]

He made 914 wheels? Prob too much money. oh well.
CHIZ 914
Five lug Fuchs
drem914
QUOTE(RichPugh @ May 31 2019, 06:21 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

I could not agree more.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.