Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best looking wheels for a narrow body - what say you?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
mepstein
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Feb 9 2019, 06:19 PM) *

I don't think there's a Porsche 15" wheel that doesn't look good on a 914, steel or alloy, the 4 star steelies are my least favorite though.

My personal preference for a narrow body car though, is the 4 lug 914 Fuchs, original finish or fully polished. I'm a little on the old school side so I like shiny wheels.

If you paint the recessed areas black on 4 lug Fuchs, we can't be friends.... just kidding, it's your car make it how you like, not how I like.

agree.gif but the yellow painted 2.0 Fuchs on the Japanese LE are pretty cool.
Bleyseng
16" Fuchs
sixnotfour
thread is about 4 lug but if you want to go there 16x7.5
sixnotfour
QUOTE(sithot @ Feb 9 2019, 06:38 AM) *

Craigers17
I'm a fan of the Minilites too, but the Revolutions are good looking too. Recently saw this car on Craigslist for sale, and I really like these. They are called Cromodoras...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 9 2019, 02:13 PM) *

15x7 steelies

Fantastic !
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 10 2019, 04:29 AM) *

I'm a fan of the Minilites too, but the Revolutions are good looking too. Recently saw this car on Craigslist for sale, and I really like these. They are called Cromodoras...

Actually ATS..... a very good choice.
Missed a set of four with a car attached a few years ago.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 9 2019, 09:37 PM) *

thread is about 4 lug but if you want to go there 16x7.5

? 7.5" ....now that is rare.
Big Len
Love widened Steelies
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Back to the original question
Milspec Minilite 6.5 x 15 4 lug later version aluminum. Fits stock fenders.

rgalla9146
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 10 2019, 08:59 AM) *

Love widened Steelies
Click to view attachment

This is why we get along so well Len.
Mayne
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 10 2019, 08:59 AM) *

Love widened Steelies
Click to view attachment

These are awesome! Just need some brown bell bottoms, a paisley shirt, and a Richard Petty mustache to complete the look. But I suppose you could say that about any 914. laugh.gif
rgalla9146
Off topic;
15" ? ORIGINAL Magnesium Minilite MMMMMM !
Craigers17
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 10 2019, 08:24 AM) *

Actually not ATS. Cromodora CD 36. As far as I can tell, it's an Italian made magnesium wheel around 11 lbs,.... 14x6 in dimension. Looks like Cromodora makes a lot of wheels for Fiat, Alpha Romeo, and Ferrari.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 10 2019, 10:37 AM) *

Actually not ATS. Cromodora CD 36. As far as I can tell, it's an Italian made magnesium wheel around 11 lbs,.... 14x6 in dimension. Looks like Cromodora makes a lot of wheels for Fiat, Alpha Romeo, and Ferrari.

Cromodora did indeed make wheels for those brands, including Alfa.

Click to view attachment
isdyl
Oh, thanks - I hadn't considered that! Yes I think these will be no good for the 914 as backspace is about 100mm and offset 19mm. Back on eBay with them.....

QUOTE(Gary @ Feb 9 2019, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(isdyl @ Feb 9 2019, 06:01 PM) *

I just bought these to refurb. Just a different option from the original steels. They have 'Rocket' on the back but no idea about them.

Look like empi's - careful on offset; there were as I recall VW and porsche offsets available. VW offset is higher and does not allow as wide tires as the porsche.
rgalla9146

I stand corrected.
They are so similar it is easy to be mistaken.
Google it and a set of ATS comes up on Pelican sold in 2014.
Notice the placement of the valve.
Freezin 914
My vote would be these......
moto914
The minilite style is nice.
Click to view attachment
jcd914

I stand corrected.

Well ATS is a wheel manufacturer and thay make the Cookie Cutters Porsche used for so many years.
They also made a wheel that looks like those pictured.
I can see the marking on the wheels on the car pictured to tell who made them.

But it is clear in this picture that it is an ATS wheeel that looks the same or very similar.

Jim

Click to view attachment

Craigers17
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 10 2019, 04:11 PM) *

I stand corrected.

Well ATS is a wheel manufacturer and thay make the Cookie Cutters Porsche used for so many years.
They also made a wheel that looks like those pictured.
I can see the marking on the wheels on the car pictured to tell who made them.

But it is clear in this picture that it is an ATS wheeel that looks the same or very similar.

Jim

Click to view attachment

Not to beat a dead horse, but the car is currently for sale on the North Port, FL craigslist and the owner clearly states the wheels are Cromodoras. Yes, ATS does make rims, and the ones pictured are very similar.

As previously stated, the valve stem is in a different place...there are other slight differences....I think the spokes are wider on the Cromodoras. The Cromodora is also a 6" wide wheel, instead of the 5.5. I haven't researched the ATS wheels, but magnesium is pretty light weight, so I doubt the ATS wheels are as light. Down side, the cd 36's appear to be only 14" and are probably hard to find. Took the following pic and info off the autobelle website.

"N. 1 circle cromodora to the magnesium, model CD36, Daytona, for cars volskwagen porsche 914, lance fulvia coupe hf zagato and vw maggiolone.Measure 6x14 ets 23, attack 4x130.Usato, edges and rolling ok.European 80 not tratt.Whells rims felgen llantas jantes.Info 3472511545"

-Craig
Click to view attachment
sithot
From Revolution this A.M.

We can only supply the following wheels for 914 at present:

6.0 x 15 ET 30 8 Spoke in silver

In 6-8 weeks’ time we will also be able to offer of CR10 in the following sizes:

15 x 7.0 ET 35 CR10 in matt black
16 x 7.0 ET 35 CR10 in matt black

Sorry, the 5 Spoke won’t fit as the offset is not high enough.

With best regards.

Warren K McKiernan

Revolution Wheels International Ltd
2 Eco Court
Latimer Way
Sherwood Energy Village
Ollerton
Nottinghamshire
NG22 9QW. UK
TEL +44 (0) 1623 860000
FAX +44 (0) 1623 860165
MOB +44 (0) 7702 845264
EMAIL info@rwil.org.uk

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Mahles!
fordb132
Love my 6x15 steelies and Pedrini's....Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Feb 11 2019, 10:22 AM) *

Love my 6x15 steelies and Pedrini's....Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Great pics!
sixnotfour
From Revolution this A.M. Sorry, the 5 Spoke won’t fit as the offset is not high enough.

these are for truimph tr6, I had to offset rear trailing arms in, used a bus irs axle,,the front is stock hub fit, redrilled to TRbolt pattern
they where new and a great deal , so I made em work
sithot
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 11 2019, 11:52 AM) *

From Revolution this A.M. Sorry, the 5 Spoke won’t fit as the offset is not high enough.

these are for truimph tr6, I had to offset rear trailing arms in, used a bus irs axle,,the front is stock hub fit, redrilled to TRbolt pattern
they where new and a great deal , so I made em work

Well done! I like it.
DRPHIL914
4 lug? Fuchs, Mahle or minilites,
5 lug? Fuchs, 15'', or 16 but even the 14's are nice too. 16x6'' on mine
AZBanks
My first car was a 914 with American Racing Lemans wheels running a set of low profile fulda tires. It looked AWESOME.
The real bummer is that I don't have even a single picture. hissyfit.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Feb 9 2019, 11:34 AM) *

And I love Enkei's

aktion035.gif agree.gif

rick 918-S
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Feb 9 2019, 11:34 AM) *

And I love Enkei's

agree.gif aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
kkid
Mahle is good!

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
agree.gif Factory wheels are beautiful pray.gif
I like the Fuchs and Mahle wheels.

Tom headbang.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(kkid @ Feb 12 2019, 08:24 PM) *

Grasshopper pray.gif
Freezin 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 12 2019, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(kkid @ Feb 12 2019, 08:24 PM) *

Grasshopper pray.gif

Cross breed grasshopper zebra!
sholman5
Click to view attachment
6.5 X 15 minilites.
VaccaRabite
I tend to agree that cookies look the best on a 914, but you need that 5 lug setup to run them.

Zach
Tdskip
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 11 2019, 12:52 PM) *

4 lug? Fuchs, Mahle or minilites,
5 lug? Fuchs, 15'', or 16 but even the 14's are nice too. 16x6'' on mine

Side note - love the Copper Metallic
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(anderssj @ Feb 9 2019, 02:37 PM) *

That's just a stunning car, and a reminder when a car is truly well turned out, it looks great almost no matter what. wub.gif
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 9 2019, 08:18 AM) *

What do you think the best looking four stud wheels on a narrow body 914 are? Fuchs? Mahle? American Racing?

Loved the ATS Wheel on my white '74. Imported them from Germany at the time. There still on the car today.

Click to view attachment
Bulldozer27
QUOTE(wes @ Feb 9 2019, 09:30 AM) *

These sure are tasty. Got any more photos?
type47fan
Genuine EMPI 8 spokes, I've had these on my four lug 914s since 1977.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Polished rim and bare cast spokes:

Click to view attachment

Two piece wheel:

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Feb 11 2019, 07:22 AM) *

I like this look on five lug. Wait......I LOVE this look on five lug, it looks so business.
ottox914
Panasports day to day, Keizers to play. 15 x 7 each set.

Literati914
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 10 2019, 09:37 AM) *

Interesting.... I replaced the stock wheels on my '71 Volvo (P)1800E - which were called "Cloverleafs", they were magnesium centered and riveted Cromodoras. I replaced them with the wheels being discussed which were definately ATS. So the question is - do (did) both wheel companies do the same wheel?
jcd914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 13 2019, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 10 2019, 09:37 AM) *

(If I can beat the dead horse even more) Maybe I can clear is up... My 1971 Volvo (P)1800E had these wheels as stock. They we're magnesium centers with large hiden rivet attaching em to the rim. They were marked inside as ATS AND CROMODORA . So ATS is the manufacturer and Cromo are the style, is my understanding.

Well I don't know what the wheel model or style is of the ATS wheel that I posted a picture of but it is clearly not the same wheel as Craig posted. They are both one piece cast wheels with similar design. The picture I posted shows ATS and what I think is 5.5 15 for size. Craig's picture shows cromodora and what looks like 14 6J for size.
I'm sure ATS makes or made many different wheel model/styles over the years just as Fuchs and BBS and any other wheel manufacturer did. ATS made the Cookie Cutters for 911s and 944s, the ATS wheel I and others pictured here and the wheel you just described.
I would guess there have been names that were similar or even the same as well. My Audi S4 had Fuchs on it from the factory and I still have a set of Audi BBS wheels that came with the S4.

Jim
tejon007
Well, I like many different types of wheels, but my favorites are those that came from Porsche...
mlmgm
A bit of everything: My former Bumblebee (w/o Yellow trim) w/polished Mahle's, my 914/6 with Minilites, or my son's car with American Libre Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
DirkDiggler
Powder coated Mahle smile.gif

Literati914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 9 2019, 01:13 PM) *

15x7 steelies

Love em but weight keeps me from going this route. Why can't someone offer these in aluminum !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.