Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LE 50th Anniversary with parade laps at Mosport, Aug 2-4 2024
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PatrickB
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=754...eater&ifg=1

A friend sent me this, a previous 914 parade at Mosport circa 1973.
Click to view attachment
14carrot
Hey David, thanks for posting the Mosport memory. Yup, that's the Labatt's 50 1973 GP of Canada.

Great YouTube video below of all the famous drivers being paraded in 914s.
I used the video to help recreate these Labatt 50 Grand Prix of Canada door cards for our pace car tribute at the CanAm in tribute to Eppie Wietze as the first pace car in F1.
Click to view attachment

Here's an excerpt from an email I sent to the SIG914 group last year prior to our event:

So, by now you know we are doing parade laps of CTMP as part of the 914 50th Celebration, and you probably also know we are parading behind a recreation of the 914 Pace Car from the 1973 Grand Prix of Canada, but did you also know that a fleet of 914s were used to parade the famed drivers around the track in the '73 Grand Prix?

Check out this YouTube video at the 6:34 mark. Great stuff!!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52sMdqUwZmg#
14carrot
bye1.gif Please welcome Michael W. to our SIG914 group. Michael purchased a stalled restoration project from Mike's 914s - a '73 2.0. Mike reports the chassis is super solid. He is looking for someone reputable in Southern Ontario willing to take on a complete rebuild of his engine.
On a related note, congratulations to David Stewart for taking over Autosparks European car service in Guelph! We look forward to getting some 914s out to one of his upcoming driving tours.
Don't forget to chime in here with what you're up to with your 914 as we count down to spring!
14carrot
QUOTE(14carrot @ Dec 17 2019, 09:02 PM) *

Anyone interested in fractional ownership of the Duval car?? Selling the house and liquidating everything is just not going to produce the $ necessary to score this remarkable beauty. It sure would be nice to see the car land back in the hands of Jacques, Bob or George. I really hope these guys can be reunited with the car at Daytona in 2021 for the 50th anniversary of their win.
Thanks to Mark H for sharing the link regarding the upcoming auction of this important piece of Porsche history.

https://racer.com/2019/12/12/1970-porsche-9...tsdale-auction/Click to view attachment

No surprise, we are entering a new era of 914 appreciation.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/31885/impecca...lion-at-auction
14carrot
Thanks to David T (Bumblebee owner) for sharing this link on the design history of the 914:

“Incredibly modern”
From Discover on Google
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/histor...-914-19743.html
14carrot
It's official! The 24 Minutes of Le Mans 50th Anniversary parade lap celebration of the Sonauto 914-6 GT victory will happen August 2 at Mosport!!!

Click to view attachment

This is a PCA function, so if you'd like to participate and are not a member JOIN NOW!

This is your opportunity to get on track at the world famous Mosport Grand Prix Circuit!

I will continue to edit/update the first post for people browsing and will continue to post updates here chronologically.

Be prepared to have your trigger finger ready to register early once registration opens online limited to 50 cars - details will follow but registration will likely open June 14th, 50 years after the 1970 Le Mans victory!!!

In other news, mark your calendar now for the Upper Canada Region PCA Annual Picnic, happening June 13th at Boyd Conservation Area, also celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Le Mans victory! Plan to get your 70's groove on with vintage clothes and soak in some French atmosphere with great Porsches.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I might have two 914's going this year. smile.gif
slyder
Looks like another summer of love for the 914 driving.gif
14carrot
Anyone interested in going to the Hershey Swap, April 18
And/or
Luftgekuhlt 7 in Durham NC May 29-31? (Show is on the 31st).
driving.gif
TonyA
John I'll be at Hershey because it's close. If you go and you are there Friday night there is usually a get together dinner. Hey on another note I was having a beer at my home Mountain of Camelback last weekend and struck up a conversation and the couple that I was talking to the husband/boyfriend holds the record in the EP class at Mosport his name is Rick Kavitski SCCA Small world!!
14carrot
Hey Tony. Very small world indeed.
Regarding Hershey, we'll have to keep in touch through email.
I'd love to make it to the 914 gathering on Friday, but I typically am not rolling in until midnight. We'll see how that goes and plan to meet up there for sure!

Who else is going??
14carrot
OMG, first the Duval car, now the Sonauto car!!! The most important 914-6 GT cars on the planet continue to change hands. Congratulations Marty & Matthew! Check this out:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...343307&st=0
Click to view attachment
mobymutt
QUOTE(14carrot @ Feb 17 2020, 09:52 AM) *

Anyone interested in going to the Hershey Swap, April 18
And/or
Luftgekuhlt 7 in Durham NC May 29-31? (Show is on the 31st).
driving.gif

I've been thinking about going to Hershey for a few years, but haven't made it yet. Let me know if there's any carpooling happening.
14carrot
Way too quiet out there.
Thankful to have my little escape pod to get me out and keep me sane.
This is the first year I've ever had the car out in March and it turns out to have been a good call.
Gord, I see you posted your 914-6 on FB about awaiting spring. I hope clear roads are coming your way soon!
Looking ahead tentatively, how many out there would consider forming a 914 corral at the 2020 VARAC Vintage Grand Prix at Mosport on Father's Day, Sunday June 21st? The cost of admission is reasonable, and camping is free. I'm looking at going Friday night through to the Field of Dreams car show and 3 lap parade of the Mosport Grand Prix circuit on Sunday. Event organizers are happy to give us our own space at the show. Here's the link: https://varac.ca/2020-varac-vintage-grand-prix/
Click to view attachment

14carrot
Hey guys - where are you? Don't forget to track our topic in OPTIONS at the top of this thread so you get the updates.

For any that have been craving a Northeast Ramble type event, be sure to see this amazing gathering being organized by Big Len:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=343706

I desperately want to go but currently have a track weekend booked. With things as they are whose to say how schedules could change, so if things do change and work out, I will certainly be going!

Click to view attachment
PatrickB
QUOTE(14carrot @ Apr 2 2020, 12:36 PM) *

Hey guys - where are you? Don't forget to track our topic in OPTIONS at the top of this thread so you get the updates.

For any that have been craving a Northeast Ramble type event, be sure to see this amazing gathering being organized by Big Len:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=343706

I desperately want to go but currently have a track weekend booked. With things as they are whose to say how schedules could change, so if things do change and work out, I will certainly be going!

Click to view attachment

Watching the thread.... HOPING things get freed up by this summer. WOSCA last night decided to cancel their first autocross of the year booked for May 3rd. Two weeks later not looming geeat either...
slyder
I'm waiting and watching as well.
Our first couple of competition Enduro's with the dirt bikes are cancelled. That takes us into June and from what I'm hearing we may be looking at July before things start to look semi normal again.
On a positive note I got the teener out today and looking forward to a little self isolation cruising.
Stay safe to all
14carrot
Good to hear from both of you. Scary state of affairs. Enjoy your cruise Dave! Patrick, I get the sense that sooner or later I'll be seeing you on the news after you crack and are arrested for setting up your own cone course at Walmart. Hang in there! I do want to check out your car in action at a WOSCA event once they get rolling, so please send us an invite to spectate here!
PatrickB
QUOTE(14carrot @ Apr 2 2020, 02:45 PM) *

Good to hear from both of you. Scary state of affairs. Enjoy your cruise Dave! Patrick, I get the sense that sooner or later I'll be seeing you on the news after you crack and are arrested for setting up your own cone course at Walmart. Hang in there! I do want to check out your car in action at a WOSCA event once they get rolling, so please send us an invite to spectate here!

Will do... this year's events are a the Centralia Airport north of London. Here' hoping.... meantime I've found things to do... some work on the car today since I'm self isolating after going south!
14carrot
Those of you that know Patrick, already know he runs a diesel. Follow his wild and wonderful tinkering here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...1391&st=120

Click to view attachment
14carrot
NOTICE

Anyone looking for a 1.7 engine and tailshift trans?
There's a gentleman in Bradford who has two 1.7 engines and 2 tailshift trans.
History unknown so consider them cores.
He's looking for fair offers.
Currently advertised on Kijiji.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1495668000

If responding, let him know you saw this here, so he knows you're a 914 enthusiast.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
14carrot
In case you didn't see his post, we have a new SIG914 member! Please say hello to Gary.

Gary's 911ST tribute is fantastic and I'm sure his 914 is a nice one!

Really looking forward to bringing us all good news of the 24 Minutes of Le Mans scheduled for August 2nd!

Fingers crossed on that! Also hoping the border will open up to allow all our US friends to come up to Mosport for parade laps to celebrate the 50th anniversary! flag.gif
Looking forward to welcoming All PCA members. If you've never seen it, check out the link in the first post to see last year's gathering and parade laps.

T-shirts should be wicked cool if this is a go.
gturner008
Thanks. Very pleased to join the group.

Looking forward to meeting up when we are allowed.

Stay safe

Gary
TonyA
Welcome Gary from down under....Canada
PatrickB
Any word yet on whether or not we'll be able to go on Aug 2? Lots of stuff cancelled. Under the current rules we're going to autocross June 7, limited to 50 people and no spectators. Masks when out of the cars etc.
14carrot
QUOTE(PatrickB @ May 31 2020, 01:40 AM) *

Any word yet on whether or not we'll be able to go on Aug 2? Lots of stuff cancelled. Under the current rules we're going to autocross June 7, limited to 50 people and no spectators. Masks when out of the cars etc.

confused24.gif Hi Patrick, wish I could tell you more. All I can say is that I'm advocating for making it an event with online club registration required for parade laps in the hopes that we'll be considered participants, not spectators. It may be a case that only participating vehicles will be allowed in and that 50 cars from various SIG groups will be the limit. We probably have some flexibility on where we are depending on numbers. There's last year's spot by the winner's podium, a nice green space by the event centre right across the pedestrian bridge at the starting line and various green spaces around the track. That we can work out. I'll post any developments here. I know we're all very much looking forward to this and will do my utmost to make it happen!!! At the same time, I will accept and support the club's decision to not allow it if they feel our participation presents a safety concern.
14carrot
CANCELLED
Sorry to announce that the 24 Minutes of Le Mans event planned for Mosport August 2 and the PCA club race that weekend is cancelled.
C blink.gif VID
14carrot
Porsche Parade July 9th.

Hi everyone! Please lmk here or by personal email (better than PM for me) if you are interested in participating in this Classic Porsche Parade of 4 senior residences in the GTA region.

Attached is the concept in its present form. More details to follow as numbers become known.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
gord
Hi everyone!

On John's invitation, I'm introducing myself and my recently purchased 1972 914 to the group.

Click to view attachment

At some point in its life, the engine was swapped to a 2.0 (it looks like this might have been relatively recently), and the body repainted to a silver/metallic grey. The underside is surprisingly free of rust (though obviously not rust-free), but there are lot of body issues going on, with the repaint cracking, lifting and bubbling in multiple places. The previous owner had it for under a year, and decided to sell it after discovering how much a professional repaint would cost.

So far my plan is to address the immediate drivability issues (primarily the front/rear suspension and the shifter bushings) this summer, and then think about doing a full disassembly/restoration next year.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion about how to handle the fuel lines... they will need to be addressed in the not-so-distant future, and I gather there are arguments for and against replacing the plastic tubes (and hoses?) with stainless.

The car appears to have been local to the GTA at least since 1973, so if anyone recognizes it, I would love to hear anything about its history!

Gord
davep
Please list the VIN and other data in your profile.
14carrot
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 27 2020, 04:55 AM) *

Porsche Parade July 9th.

Hi everyone! Please lmk asap here or by personal email (better than PM for me) if you are interested in participating in the Classic Porsche Parade of senior residences in the GTA region.

There will be 4 different parades on July 9. Each one will start at one of the Porsche Centres and each will drive to 1 retirement residence. Downtown Porsche and PCNT start at 9am. Then Pfaff and PC Oakville start at 1pm.

There will be a designated speaker at each location who is going to explain the 12 cars in each parade. Just a short blurb.

Depending on how many cars we get signed up, we may have some cars participate in both a morning session and an afternoon session.

No rain date.

Again, please lmk asap if you'd like to participate. I'll be joining the 1 p.m. meet at Oakville. I'll have some commemorative Porsche 914 50th T-Shirts with me from the 2019 PCA UCR Concours for $20.

gord
Now updated!

QUOTE(davep @ Jun 30 2020, 08:02 AM) *

Please list the VIN and other data in your profile.

Mr Bee
Hello would be great. Please count me in .THANKS
Cheers David and Carrie Tipton smash.gif
Mr Bee
QUOTE(Mr Bee @ Jul 2 2020, 12:14 PM) *

Hello would be great. Please count me in .THANKS
Cheers David and Carrie Tipton smash.gif

If time allows would like to attend two 9am. And 1pm. Just can't make the Oakville. Amy of the other three would be possible. CHEERS
wobbletop
QUOTE(gord @ Jun 30 2020, 09:06 AM) *

Hi everyone!

On John's invitation, I'm introducing myself and my recently purchased 1972 914 to the group.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion about how to handle the fuel lines... they will need to be addressed in the not-so-distant future, and I gather there are arguments for and against replacing the plastic tubes (and hoses?) with stainless.

Gord

Nice looking car @gord

I don't think there is any debate about replacing the fuel lines with stainless. Unless you enjoy a car-b-q, get them replaced with stainless.

-Walter
14carrot
July 9 Porsche parades for seniors.

A nice day was had in support of seniors. Congrats to David and Carrie for making the Toronto Sun
https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/levy...lebrate-seniors
Their bumblebee was at the PCNT parade and the Oakville parade.
Click to view attachment

Sad that my '73 914 was the oldest car at the Oakville parade - was hoping to see some 356s there but it was stupid hot.

Thanks to Oakville Porsche Centre and PCL for the hospitality and sweet swag (2 Porsche models and a Porsche blanket).

Lucas Scarfone was on hand taking photos, so hopefully some of his great pics will surface here.

14carrot
PARADE LAPS AT MOSPORT AUGUST 9TH!!!!!CANCELLED!!!

As you know, the PCAUCR CanAm weekend was cancelled along with our "24 Minutes of LeMans" parade Laps.

We now have a tentative invitation to join the Trillium BMW club Sunday August 9th for parade laps of classic BMWs and Porsches during the lunch hour @12pm-1pm on Sunday August 9. The group of classics would get ~10 laps but it may be less if there is a group photo opportunity at certain corners of the track. There would be a nominal fee, which would also include lunch for the driver but there will be additional lunch cost if there are passengers in the car. Note that our members will participate in this event as individuals and NOT as PCA or UCR members.

Organisers are needing to gauge interest before moving forward. Please reply to me by 8:00 p.m. Thursday night whether or not you will participate.
14carrot
Some pics taken by Autostrada photographer Lucas Scarfone of David's Can Am and my Jacques Duval tribute driver at the Classic Porsche Parade of senior homes.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
14carrot
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jul 22 2020, 12:14 AM) *

PARADE LAPS AT MOSPORT AUGUST 9TH!!!!!CANCELLED!!!

As you know, the PCAUCR CanAm weekend was cancelled along with our "24 Minutes of LeMans" parade Laps.

We now have a tentative invitation to join the Trillium BMW club Sunday August 9th for parade laps of classic BMWs and Porsches during the lunch hour @12pm-1pm on Sunday August 9. The group of classics would get ~10 laps but it may be less if there is a group photo opportunity at certain corners of the track. There would be a nominal fee, which would also include lunch for the driver but there will be additional lunch cost if there are passengers in the car. Note that our members will participate in this event as individuals and NOT as PCA or UCR members.

Organisers are needing to gauge interest before moving forward. Please reply to me by (ideally by 8:00 p.m. Thursday night) whether or not you will participate.
14carrot
Sorry everyone. Just got word that the tentatively planned August 9th parade laps with the BMW club are not happening.

Very frustrating.

We'll do something yet.
14carrot
FINALLY!!
Some fast approaching dates to look forward to...

Mark your calendars now and chime in here to let us know if you'll be attending. Maybe people want to meetup for driving in/home.

Saturday September 19, WhaleTail show and swap
Saturday September 26, Restoration Design open house

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's video of last year's meetup at the RD Open House. Note Peter deJonge's fine flared blue car. Peter will of course be on hand once again. Last year he gave our group a great personal tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FChOqEeeGRU

Hope you can make it. Please post away!
14carrot
Recent RM Sale of 916.
$957,000 for a priceless car.
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo20/shi...sche-916/951867

Click to view attachment
14carrot
So, you don't have a cool million for the 914 of your dreams?

Take heart, we have the car for you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGqOEfOeGD4
14carrot
PCA Upper Canada Region
Free
SIG Targa
Fun Run
Registration is now open!!!

Please see the first page and register today!

Don't delay and risk being disappointed. The roster is filling up fast. Need assistance?

Please reach out to me through e-mail.

-John
14carrot
Check out David's Killer Bees!
How's that for a pair of Can Ams?
Click to view attachment
14carrot
Click to view attachment

TARGA! TARGA! TARGA!

Only about 10 spots left for the SIG Targa
See the first post to register now before it's too late!!!

Please email me (not PM) if you need assistance.
Hope to see you there!

-John

14carrot
QUOTE(14carrot @ Sep 7 2020, 12:31 PM) *

Click to view attachment

TARGA! TARGA! TARGA!

Only about 10 spots Now only 7 spots left - we currently have 44 Porsches registered for the SIG Targa
See the first post to register now before it's too late!!!

Please email me (not PM) if you need assistance.
Hope to see you there!

-John

14carrot
The Targa is just a sedate drive.
https://www.facebook.com/recaro/videos/611391569666406/
14carrot
Registration for the SIG Targa is full with a collage of 52 Porsches. If you missed signing up I hope you still come out to RD for the open house. We'll try to slide you in to the Targa as there is bound to be a couple of no shows. Please contact me if you'd like to be on an unofficial waiting list and I'll see what I can do.
-John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.