Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HID headlights in the pods for Neo914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
redshift
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Sep 15 2005, 11:22 PM)
Just curious if anyone has tried to do this??

There is a kit that makes the whole front end a low down 959/993. It looks really good.

Where? Who? Dunno, seent 2 cars.

M
sj914
Felix,
Just curious, in any of the research you did on the headlight laws. Was there anything about the size of the headlight(lens diameter)?
neo914-6
QUOTE (sj914 @ Sep 17 2005, 11:59 PM)
Felix,
Just curious, in any of the research you did on the headlight laws.  Was there anything about the size of the headlight(lens diameter)?

No, only brightness and vehicle height as listed, if you find more let me know...

Other than some race cars at Sebring these lamps are used in conjunction with other headlights. I believe they are used on some motorcycles as well.

Remil, I am using them as primary headlights but Neo914-6 is a running concept or prototype car.
Jeroen
It is probably different between the US and europe, but here the projection of the beam is also prescribed
winterkornj
Felix just a thinking but wouldn't you usally be moving when your head lights are on . This may provide some cooling, not sure if it is enough. Think about our engines. Moving=good, sitting = not so good. Just a thought..
neo914-6
QUOTE (winterkornj @ Sep 18 2005, 09:45 AM)
Felix just a thinking but wouldn't you usally be moving when your head lights are on . This may provide some cooling, not sure if it is enough. Think about our engines. Moving=good, sitting = not so good. Just a thought..

not a bad idea, I could leave vents in the back of the bucket and draw in air from the front somewhere. It's the stop and go city night driving in a warm place like Las Vegas that may heat it up too much. Then I'd just need a temp controlled fan... idea.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Sep 18 2005, 07:59 AM)
It is probably different between the US and europe, but here the projection of the beam is also prescribed

I think it's the similar in terms of distance of illumination...
IronHillRestorations
Different approach. I've always wanted to revise the pop up headlights so they only open, say 20 degrees, and use small projection fixtures. Never had the time to fool around with it though. Seems like adjusting the pop up mechanism might be easier than moulding new lenses.

Injection moulding tool? Think more on the lines of $25k, unless you go offshore. Of course this would mean a retail price of like $1200 a set, which we know is right inline with our average 914'ers budget biggrin.gif
Pnambic
yeah, I have been planning the same thing Perry. I swear I saw a website probably two years or so ago that advertised that they were in the process of making a kit to do just this, but I haven't been able to locate it for some time now.
unsure.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (9146986 @ Sep 18 2005, 07:36 PM)
Different approach. I've always wanted to revise the pop up headlights so they only open, say 20 degrees, and use small projection fixtures. Never had the time to fool around with it though. Seems like adjusting the pop up mechanism might be easier than moulding new lenses.

Injection moulding tool? Think more on the lines of $25k, unless you go offshore. Of course this would mean a retail price of like $1200 a set, which we know is right inline with our average 914'ers budget biggrin.gif

Heard that interesting idea a few times over the years but no one want's to invest the R&D...

I'd like to see 968/928 style pop-up lights.

My onshore quotes for IM are much lower than 25k but still a large investment risk.
914Timo

Me too. I have thought the same a lot and once asked ages ago in rennlist e-mail list if somebody know anything about that kind of conversion. Nobady answered....
redshift
How aboot retroing in a set of Gemballa pin lights?

M
neo914-6
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 19 2005, 12:11 AM)
How aboot retroing in a set of Gemballa pin lights?

M

Got a pic? confused24.gif

What's up with SoCal club?
neo914-6
Held in a pair of lights but determined there would very little room for adjustment and I want to mount a signal light in there instead...
neo914-6
QUOTE (914Timo @ Sep 18 2005, 10:25 PM)

Me too. I have thought the same a lot and once asked ages ago in rennlist e-mail list if somebody know anything about that kind of conversion. Nobady answered....

In the 80's I saw a 914 in LA that I thought had these lights but when I got closer, he had only made fixed oval lenses and stationary lights underneath...
Jeroen
QUOTE (Pnambic @ Sep 19 2005, 06:24 AM)
yeah, I have been planning the same thing Perry. I swear I saw a website probably two years or so ago that advertised that they were in the process of making a kit to do just this, but I haven't been able to locate it for some time now.
unsure.gif

IIRC that was http://www.914turbo.com

There are low pop-up lights available for miata's, corvettes etc.
neo914-6
Chris never completed the project as there was no $ interest...

Here's a 90's Miata cup car "option":
redshift
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Sep 19 2005, 04:20 AM)

Got a pic? confused24.gif

What's up with SoCal club?

That's a graphic I puked for another member... and no.. I don't have any pics, because YOU NEED TO STACK THEM UP!

smilie_pokal.gif

Make that work! Make it work, and I'll be your *friend. *(subect to puke graphics on command)

smile.gif

M
redshift
user posted image

lol... imagine what it looks like from the front.. wink.gif

I love the stacked up look...I wonder if there may be a lense you could use to flush mount them.. or at least kind of..

ohmy.gif

OH MY GOD!

http://www.gemballausa.com/CarreraGT.asp

M
redshift
Strosek here

user posted image
redshift
user posted image

And again... (the ugliest 911 thing I have ever seen.. almost) another Strosek, with a setup similar to the (apparently rare) Gemballas.

Dig the awesome wheels on that Speedster.. err... hearse..

M
SpecialK
QUOTE (9146986 @ Sep 18 2005, 09:36 PM)

...you've been sucking up my brainwaves while I was sleeping. unsure.gif

'cept I was thinking more along the lines of FG or CF enclosures. Cheaper than injection molding (at least for the tooling), and better able to handle the heat given off by the HID lights. Use a small turnbuckle to figure out the correct center-to-center for the actuator bar to get the desired lift. idea.gif

Miles - the black one looks like a flathead catfish I caught last weekend! huh.gif ....uh, except for the "whaletail".
redshift
I wish I had it as a donor.

M
Jeroen
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Sep 19 2005, 09:33 AM)

user posted image

now THAT's what I'd like to have for my teener
got any source for that?

A little while ago, Gustl posted pix of a German red 914 with an (ugly) bodykit, which used the Strosek lights
914Timo
...and look at that door mirror too !!!
neo914-6
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Sep 19 2005, 02:34 AM)
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Sep 19 2005, 09:33 AM)

user posted image

now THAT's what I'd like to have for my teener
got any source for that?

A little while ago, Gustl posted pix of a German red 914 with an (ugly) bodykit, which used the Strosek lights

I believe these parts were/are factory/tuner options so try contacting them. This car was part of a mini-museum at this years Monterey Historics.
neo914-6
QUOTE (redshift @ Sep 19 2005, 12:55 AM)
user posted image

And again... (the ugliest 911 thing I have ever seen.. almost) another Strosek, with a setup similar to the (apparently rare) Gemballas.

Dig the awesome wheels on that Speedster.. err... hearse..

M

Stroske is a tuner/designer, they don't produce lights. I'm sure they used Hella or another existing lamp. Those look larger than the one's I'm using but look smaller because the fender pontoon is larger...

You'll see alot of small lamps like Hella packaged in OEM headlight clusters. This is a trend that helps designers create more front end shapes and light bezels.
soupbone
What about a whole FG/CF GT3-R front end with OEM HIDs? OK maybe thats over the top.... welder.gif
http://www.tcdesignfab.com/914GT3r.htm
SGB
I like the two light version....

If yer gonna cover it, I propose some really small computer fans that extract air from the housing- or maybe blowin in would be better. I think the thermostadt part would be unneeded- just run 'em all the time.

Maybe you can leave the actual lense and surrounding enclosure uncovered, with a scoop out fir the light path - a la XKE in the "uncovered lights" years- maybe 69 or 70. Sure it isn't as smooth as all enclosed, but it is a very small light compared to the old jag. I'm thinking thaty after prolonged use, they are gonna get hot enough to blister paint at the top of the fender unless an active cooling system is installed.
redshift
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Sep 19 2005, 01:02 PM)

Stroske is a tuner/designer, they don't produce lights.

Really!? huh.gif

rolleyes.gif

smile.gif

M

Jeroen
here's a pic of the strosek lights
neo914-6
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Sep 19 2005, 05:34 PM)

Jeroen,

Those dont' have the shape like the ones pictured in the 911. Are you sure these the same ones?
SpecialK
Ever consider some ricer bike headlights (projector beam type)? Gotta be pretty small (unverified), and definitely bright enough.
Jeroen
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Sep 20 2005, 03:03 AM)
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Sep 19 2005, 05:34 PM)

Jeroen,

Those dont' have the shape like the ones pictured in the 911. Are you sure these the same ones?

yep, that's them... they mount behind the oval opening in the bodywork (also in the pic)
Scott
Found these. Already pinged (midtennmiata.com) about them. Seems they are out of production. Why? I don't know but I will probably find out when they reply.
neo914-6
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Sep 20 2005, 01:11 AM)
Ever consider some ricer bike headlights (projector beam type)?  Gotta be pretty small (unverified), and definitely bright enough.

Mine are projecter type and have been used in some motorcycle designs. I think PIAA and another I've seen have slightly smaller bodies but there aren't too many smaller ones than these Hellas. You can't get much smaller for light output vs heat vs size. There may be newer technology coming but these are currently on the market.
neo914-6
Here's technology that is bright as xenon and emits less heat.
Dr. Roger
Felix,
I saw this in the parking lot and thought of your HID setup. I think this one is ventilated.
Dr. Roger
Even the shape is close to what you may be looking for.
Dr. Roger
I gave it a tap tap tap and it sounds like a lexan lens.
Lots of ventilation holes .. =-)
Dr. Roger
Last one.

Straight on.

Sick looking running lights too. Blue hue.
Andyrew
What is it? celica??

Dr. Roger
What i'm seeing here is if perhaps you set back your lamps to allow more clearance, and ventillate using the heat created to draw cool air into the cavity, you might have something. idea.gif beer3.gif
neo914-6
Roger,

The problem with recessing the lights is the width of the beam may be cut off in the forward center of the car. It's probably why headlight housing covers are much wider than the actual lamp.

I had lunch with Mueller today and he said there is a glass blower in town, near where I used to live. Once he gets his foundry together he may be able to mold an aluminum form so glass can be blown into it...
Andyrew
Wouldnt an aluminum form melt? Or we talking solid aluminum....

sorry, Uneducated question...

BTW it IS from a new (02+) celica.

I wonder if the lense could be cut...

Andrew
v82go
Miata lights http://www.midtennmiata.com/
kilo123
hi

what seems to be the problem??? i planed on installing hids too on my car. cutting a hole in the headlight and put it there. seems there is tons of room to stick the balast. i got the hids without the projector but just the h7 fitting.
jd74914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Sep 29 2005, 03:00 AM)
Wouldnt an aluminum form melt? Or we talking solid aluminum....

sorry, Uneducated question...

BTW it IS from a new (02+) celica.

I wonder if the lense could be cut...

Andrew

i'm thinkin tiberon
neo914-6
Finally chose an LED signal light which will help finalize the package. They are small and used in motorcycles...

I've been conversing with a plastic molder and got a quote from Tony's injection molder connection for the lense. If I went to production how many people will want to use them for headlights or just clear signal lights? It's a big tooling investment so I'll have to idea.gif this awhile....
db9146
Here is another option....these are on an Acura NSX.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.