Full Version: HID headlights in the pods for Neo914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
db9146
Another
db9146
One more...
db9146
One more option is on the new Corvettes. I had read about your project and while my son and I were walking around at the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta a few months back, I saw the NSX and the Corvette and snapped these pics for you. The set up on the Corvette is not as "diamond-shaped" as the NSX.

db9146
Second 'vette photo
nocones
Felix,
I'd be in for a set as long as they where half-way reasonable on cost.
Mar7ck
Thanx for this thread.

I am looking for headlights for my project.
Pop ups are not on the menu.
Looking for projector headlights in the stock location.

Mar7ck
richardmosselman
Anyone see the narrow stacked lites on the Guigiaro GG 50 in this month's Road and Track (Jan/06)? Remake of Ferrari 612 Scaglietti--very narrow fender peak;kinda looks like what you're after-imagine the cost! wink.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (richardmosselman @ Jan 2 2006, 12:09 PM)
Anyone see the narrow stacked lites on the Guigiaro GG 50 in this month's Road and Track (Jan/06)? Remake of Ferrari 612 Scaglietti--very narrow fender peak;kinda looks like what you're after-imagine the cost! wink.gif

Yes, I did but I couldn't find an available stacked array like that. Those designers have a very large budget so I'm trying to find affordable parts to adapt...
neo914-6
Trial fitted the LED signal lights in the pod. The signal is Amber, this pic shows the reflecting flash. Good fit, now I can finalize the mounting and finish bezel...
spare time toys
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 10 2006, 02:20 AM)
Trial fitted the LED signal lights in the pod. The signal is Amber, this pic shows the reflecting flash. Good fit, now I can finalize the mounting and finish bezel...

Do you have a photo from the side? Are the lights flush with the housing or do they stick out where you need a hump to get over the lens? We throw out the lenses from the 737 wing tip position lights when they crack and its thick plexi that has a nice curve in it of you can also get a large flat chunk out of it. I was thinking of doing covers out of these over recessed lights in the stock location with the flat part of the lens. I figure if they can hold up to the breaze flying at around 500 MPH they should be able to take anything I can throw at them.
neo914-6
I'm getting a quote on prototypes that are flat on the back to reduce costs. Concavity will cost more. This means I need to recess them to clear the flat surface.

That would be nice if you can find a lense the same shape and size.

I'm considering injection molding crystal clear lenses the same shape as original for production...
rick 918-S
I didn't read every post but did anyone suggest making a vacum mold in the shape of the factory lens and pulling in some lexan?

I've done it for a motorcycle faring lens cover. It's easy. confused24.gif Just besure the lens is deep enough to trim off the sandwich flange.

check the Alien build thread link at the bottom of my post for a simple vacum mold I made for a fan shroud. You may need a vacum pump but I just used my shop vac.
neo914-6
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 10 2006, 08:23 AM)
I didn't read every post but did anyone suggest making a vacum mold in the shape of the factory lens and pulling in some lexan?

I've done it for a motorcycle faring lens cover. It's easy. confused24.gif Just besure the lens is deep enough to trim off the sandwich flange.

check the Alien build thread link at the bottom of my post for a simple vacum mold I made for a fan shroud. You may need a vacum pump but I just used my shop vac.

I vacuum formed lexan in school but how do you replicate the seal channel? I'm talking to a plastic fabrication company who could vac mold sets of them from a sheet, it still the tooling that takes time/expense...
plymouth37
nice work! I have been kicking this idea around for a long time, it's nice to see you actually pull it off! do you have the aplication and/or part numbers for those headlights, price? where did you get the turn signals? brand?
rick 918-S
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 10 2006, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 10 2006, 08:23 AM)

I've done it for a motorcycle faring lens cover. It's easy.  :confused: Just besure the lens is deep enough to trim off the sandwich flange.

I vacuum formed lexan in school but how do you replicate the seal channel? I'm talking to a plastic fabrication company who could vac mold sets of them from a sheet, it still the tooling that takes time/expense...

I wouldn't worry about replicating the sealing channel. Just be sure the outside diamension is the correct width to match the housing.

Another option would be to make the sealing flange out of flat stock, polish all the edges and glue the polished clear plastic sealing flange, to the polished vacum formed light cover. Then re-polish. the bond line would become near invisable.

Easy peasy... wavey.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 10 2006, 03:03 PM)
I wouldn't worry about replicating the sealing channel. Just be sure the outside diamension is the correct width to match the housing.

Another option would be to make the sealing flange out of flat stock, polish all the edges and glue the polished clear plastic sealing flange, to the polished vacum formed light cover. Then re-polish. the bond line would become near invisable.

Easy peasy... wavey.gif

Super, I'll take two sets! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 10 2006, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 10 2006, 03:03 PM)

Another option would be to make the sealing flange out of flat stock, polish all the edges and glue the polished clear plastic sealing flange,   to the polished vacum formed light cover. Then re-polish. the bond line would become near invisable.

Easy peasy... wavey.gif

Super, I'll take two sets! biggrin.gif

I like your light idea. Sorry no time to build vacum molds today. Too much worky... sad.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (plymouth37 @ Jan 10 2006, 01:32 PM)
nice work! I have been kicking this idea around for a long time, it's nice to see you actually pull it off! do you have the aplication and/or part numbers for those headlights, price? where did you get the turn signals? brand?

Dana,

Thanks, info is in this thread...tell Scott wavey.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 30 2005, 12:51 AM)
Finally chose an LED signal light which will help finalize the package. They are small and used in motorcycles...

I've been conversing with a plastic molder and got a quote from Tony's injection molder connection for the lense. If I went to production how many people will want to use them for headlights or just clear signal lights? It's a big tooling investment so I'll have to idea.gif this awhile....

I am in! When can I get a set? clap56.gif

Will the projector light do High beam as well or do you have to add another one underneath the one you got?
TonyAKAVW
Things are in progress. I will try to get an update today or this weekend on the progress.

Finally chose an LED signal light which will help finalize the package. They are small and used in motorcycles...

I've been conversing with a plastic molder and got a quote from Tony's injection molder connection for the lense. If I went to production how many people will want to use them for headlights or just clear signal lights? It's a big tooling investment so I'll have to  this awhile....

-Tony
neo914-6
Great news Tony! wink.gif

Formed some aluminum sheet in the bucket, I'm no John Kelly but I think the results were nice... cool.gif
Andyrew
Mmm Yup..

Those are nice!

Now.. didnt you say that would "possibly" melt fiberglass?

I really think thats a killer setup...

neo914-6
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Apr 2 2006, 02:51 AM)
Mmm Yup..

Those are nice!

HID heat will melt the lenses but they will be mass produced so I will have spares wink.gif We'll see, headlight cooling system will be next. laugh.gif

Dougs914
pray.gif Put me down for a set.
Andyrew
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Apr 2 2006, 10:53 AM)
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Apr 2 2006, 02:51 AM)
Mmm Yup..

Those are nice!

HID heat will melt the lenses but they will be mass produced so I will have spares wink.gif We'll see, headlight cooling system will be next. laugh.gif

If you do make another set.. or a bad set.. or something... let me know... I'll take one of your prototypes and use it on my car... I think it would look sick! (im leaning towards black for my body...)

Shoot me an email on what your progress is! Gota thank you for the good notes to Mike P.

Andrew
TonyAKAVW
Lenses will be available fairly soon. My father-in-law is working on a die and will be producing these. Hopefully the plastic he uses will be sufficient to withstand the heat from an HID light. We won't know really until we test them. But because these are truly injection molded, if there is a plastic that can withstand the heat then it can be used.

Look for more details on lens availability in the coming weeks.

-Tony
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 10 2006, 11:56 AM)

The Seal channel can be CNC machined. Hit up Mike Mueller. I believe his mill is so equipped.

Also, you can build yourself a "pressure forming" mold, which uses vacuum on the female side, and pressure on the "male" side. This will allow you to press the material into a more detailed mold. You can at least form the "boss" for the channel to be trimmed from.

There are quite a few pressure forming shops in the Bay Area who can help you. Try Freetech Plastics, or Plastic Service Corp (Newark).
The tooling isn't alot of money (under $1000). You can make it yourself, or hit up Mike again!!

The nicest tooling would be aluminum, but you can achieve pretty good results from wood and plaster.
mrdezyne
Dow Chemical Co.
Calibre 200-15, 200-22, 300-4, 300-6, 300-10, 300-15
Polycarbonate
Rockwell hardness of R118
Processing temps of 525 to 620 degrees
Deflection temp at 264 lb/in = 263 degrees

Optically clear

Just one option, something to check out maybe.....

mrdezyne
WOW! Just realized that was from a 1987 product guide, I'm sure there are many better products for this application by now. I'll find a newer guide and check into something better......
wacko.gif
cbenitah
Felix or Tony,
Any progress on the lights?
RobPattillo

I think that this is a real winner. There is a company on Ebay that is selling hi/lo HID lights that will work perfect. They come in H4, 9004, and 9007 bulbs. welder.gif
TonyAKAVW
The lenses should have been here by now. The situation is that my father-in-law has been extremely busy with a big customer, running his shop 16 hours a day turning out medical stuff.

On top of that he's been having serious problems with one of his legs and may need surgery. Its imobilized him quit a bit. Last time I talked to him he assured me that he was very close to being finished. I'll try and find out this weekend what is going on, hopefully this gets moving soon.

-Tony
neo914-6
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jun 29 2006, 10:31 PM) *

The lenses should have been here by now. The situation is that my father-in-law has been extremely busy with a big customer, running his shop 16 hours a day turning out medical stuff.

On top of that he's been having serious problems with one of his legs and may need surgery. Its imobilized him quit a bit. Last time I talked to him he assured me that he was very close to being finished. I'll try and find out this weekend what is going on, hopefully this gets moving soon.

-Tony

Tony,

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. sad.gif I hope all goes well.

If toolings nearly done, that's the biggest hurdle. Can't wait to see them... smile.gif
euro911
... and 11 months later: unsure.gif

I just picked up a 914 in Dec 2006, and within a couple of weeks had ideas of installing rectangular lights in the stock position (removing the pop-ups). I planned on molding ABS housings to cover the original bucket 'holes' and covering them with a LEXAN 'flat top' ... but then started thinking more about something in the signal housings (like your doing).

Like a lot of you, I found myself eyballing cars in the parking lot at work for ideas but no concrete ideas or plans came about.

I met Tony at a Sharp BBQ in January or February 2007 and discussed his headlight project. He mentioned the clear lenses that his father-in-law had made. Just this passed w/e at the 'AR', George H. told me to check out your posts, Felix.

I just read your thread this evening and find your work very interesting ... to date, is there any additional progress?
neo914-6
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 1 2007, 01:40 AM) *

... and 11 months later: unsure.gif

I just picked up a 914 in Dec 2006, and within a couple of weeks had ideas of installing rectangular lights in the stock position (removing the pop-ups). I planned on molding ABS housings to cover the original bucket 'holes' and covering them with a LEXAN 'flat top' ... but then started thinking more about something in the signal housings (like your doing).

Like a lot of you, I found myself eyballing cars in the parking lot at work for ideas but no concrete ideas or plans came about.

I met Tony at a Sharp BBQ in January or February 2007 and discussed his headlight project. He mentioned the clear lenses that his father-in-law had made. Just this passed w/e at the 'AR', George H. told me to check out your posts, Felix.

I just read your thread this evening and find your work very interesting ... to date, is there any additional progress?

My light progress continued on my primary thread: here

We are awaiting the production versions from Tony.

Thanks for your interest...
PeeGreen 914
Any word on how everything went on these?.... Pics?
r_towle
Felix,

Did you ever finish the lights?
Do you have some wrap up posting you could do on that project?

Rich
SGB
really, I thought it was back..

Hey Felix!!!

Knock-knock.

Hey! Felix! Hey, get up. C'mon.

Dude....
neo914-6
IPB Image ...
SGB
hahahah. I'll come back later...
DAMMNN
Okay I going to pick up my VERY FIRST 914 in the morning. I have been trying to find a conversion kit to eliminate the pop up headlights. After seeing this post I have changed my entire approach! PLEASE let me know if you plan on putting thoes projector lights into production. Also check out this Youtube link. Maybe these L.E.D. headlights will work better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ktktwmC8g

Tell me what you think. OH and that is a DAMN SEXY PORSCHE you have built!
Mike Bellis
This is my solution. They were fabricated from a 240sx kit on ebay. I think I posted somewhere about these. The low beam is a HID projector and the High beam is a HID flood lens...

This pic is before the HID and projector...
Click to view attachment

After..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
another view...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DAMMNN
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me you are going to mass produce those fender flares! I am looking to purchase some exactly like that! Is that a functional exhause port in the bottom?
McMark
Aren't those just 911SC flares?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 2 2011, 05:34 PM) *

Aren't those just 911SC flares?

I think he's talking about the silver car? Little scoopie things at the bottom of the flare.
McMark
Ooooh, you're right. I got lost in the thread hijack. piratenanner.gif
Rand
What happened to Felix and his project?
DAMMNN
Oops im sorry, I was talking about the silver 914. However, the flares on the white 914 are VERY nice as well. I know I would like to get some fender flares but im NOT a big fan of the LEGO (squared off stuck on flares) so I am looking for some options. ANY assistance you all could offer would be GREATLY appreciated.
Rand
QUOTE(DAMMNN @ Feb 2 2011, 09:46 PM) *

Oops im sorry, I was talking about the silver 914. However, the flares on the white 914 are VERY nice as well. I know I would like to get some fender flares but im NOT a big fan of the LEGO (squared off stuck on flares) so I am looking for some options. ANY assistance you all could offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

You might like the Rich Bontempi flares. Chris at Tangerine Racing also makes some great steel flares with the nice bulge style.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.