Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914/6 GT Replica Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bullethead
Bought an engine board without knowing that I had one already, so cleaned, tested and sealed the pair. One might be for sale in the near future.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Bullethead
Engine is 2.8 twin-plug with S internals and cams, 46mm Italian Webers backed by an LSD 901 transaxle. All fresh, carbs rebuilt and dressed with new FG tin... looking very nice.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Looks outstanding beerchug.gif
BillJ
Where did you find those velocity stack covers?
Bullethead
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 12 2023, 04:49 PM) *

Where did you find those velocity stack covers?

They're from BBR Filters, a couple of eBay stores sell them, or try https://www.carburetion.com/Products/Produc...spx?Part=CUSF64

A pair of rain hats goes on too. We're still a ways off from drivetrain installation.
BillJ
Thanks!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 12 2023, 04:39 PM) *

Engine is 2.8 twin-plug with S internals and cams, 46mm Italian Webers backed by an LSD 901 transaxle. All fresh, carbs rebuilt and dressed with new FG tin... looking very nice.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rainhats may be an issue with tall intake manifolds
My passenger side interferes with the front wall of the trunk
Your car is a beauty.
Keep up the great work. beerchug.gif
Bullethead
Got the dash covered and the fuel gage mount installed... will cut out holes for switches and controls as needed. The fuel gage mount came out very tidy.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Also got the cooler and shroud installed... unfortunately, we didn't fit the fog lights + grills when the bumper was, so quite a bit of trimming is in the works. Stupid oversight. Thankfully, the horns WERE fitted, so no issue there. Pics to come.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 20 2023, 08:17 PM) *

Also got the cooler and shroud installed... unfortunately, we didn't fit the fog lights + grills when the bumper was, so quite a bit of trimming is in the works. Stupid oversight. Thankfully, the horns WERE fitted, so no issue there. Pics to come.

Click to view attachment

Was the screen purchased or made in house?
I’m asking because I need one. Thanks
Bullethead
Hey Mark, got it from FSH in Germany along with the engine fiberglass. Gotta paint them black and not cheap, but the fit is good.

https://www.f-s-h.com/Oil-cooler-pit-grille-for-914-6-GT
mepstein
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jun 20 2023, 08:32 PM) *

Hey Mark, got it from FSH in Germany along with the engine fiberglass. Gotta paint them black and not cheap, but the fit is good.

https://www.f-s-h.com/Oil-cooler-pit-grille-for-914-6-GT

beerchug.gif
BillJ
That's a pretty penny!
mepstein
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 20 2023, 11:33 PM) *

That's a pretty penny!

Just the cost of the front oil cooler screen took my breath away but on the other hand, sometimes just buying what you want at the price you need to pay is better than settling for 2nd best.
willieg
To paraphrase somebody, “long after you have forgotten the price, you remember the quality”. So true.
BillJ
Yes and definitely my philosophy as well but man 500 euros. drunk.gif

Love this build though. For sure it is sweet.
Bullethead
@BillJ - my link has €365, where do you see €500?

You get what you pay for but yeah, it's a bit eye-watering... his prices have gone up a little. A year ago I rationalized paying €350 for the cooler grill by also getting the FG engine shroud that was substantially cheaper than Patrick Motorsports. Now NLA.

BTW, for some parts Rose Passion was way less expensive than stateside sources. CDI boxes and coils in particular. It also helped that when I ordered most of this stuff the Euro was at par with the Dollar. Timing!
BillJ
When I clicked the link that was the number I got
SixerJ
Nice progress

Other good off the shelf option is Mittlemotor (steel), still spendy, but what is your time worth or metal dude cost per hour?

https://www.mittelmotor.de/racing/de/914-6-...8124-neu-detail
Bullethead
I think Volker at FSH sells his stuff to Mittelmotor, or at least they come from the same producer.
pfreiburger
Thank you for taking the time to document your build, I am really enjoying it! The workmanship is beautiful and I love choices you have made along the way. Can't wait to see the finished product!
jt914-6
As a former owner of that chassis I'm loving what you're doing to restore this original six.....the finished product will be awesome!!!
911_2.2T
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jun 23 2023, 01:36 PM) *

Nice progress

Other good off the shelf option is Mittlemotor (steel), still spendy, but what is your time worth or metal dude cost per hour?

https://www.mittelmotor.de/racing/de/914-6-...8124-neu-detail

Mittelmotor also sells them in steel version and they have the Oil cooler cover and support plate in steel too. Bought the entire set from them last week for my project.
Hoods, bumpers, sill covers and some other parts I got from FSH.
Both great companies to work with, good quality parts, but I'm in Europe so shipping to me is not a big deal
Bullethead
A little more done on the dash wiring, wiper system in, blower/defrost is next.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Bullethead
After trying all year to secure a set of Michelin TB15s for 7s & 8s, I gave up and waited just 7 months for some Pirelli CN36s. I have these on my '67 S and love them, they'll do fine here.
Mr. Weidman anodized these in his signature RSR finish, no painted petals. Thinking of just the valve petals in a small flag of color... or maybe the lug end. Suggestions appreciated! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

I have a line on a spare set of 8s & 9s, hopefully the Michies will be available at some point.
horizontally-opposed
Car coming together really nicely, in typical Russ fashion. That interior is a stunner. Now I am curious—were the insets under the door cards done that way on some or all cars?

Wheels definitely want for something…I'd do the dayglo red at the least, clear anodized petals to match the lips with RSR finish as you have it at most…but I know that's a hassle. ONS / "Recaro" 914-6 GT shows the way...
Bullethead
agree.gif Exactly Pete @horizontally-opposed . Like the ONS/Recaro fire car, or Larousse/Perramond #0141 which both painted the flags red. What about green or safety yellow?

Click to view attachment

What's odd is why they DIDN'T paint the petal facing the valve. Never really noticed that until now. confused24.gif I will paint the flags on the valve petal, safety yellow is likely...
Bullethead
The guys from Klub Sport have returned from RRVII, and reassembly is slowly resuming. I painted the wheels as described above, got the ignition boxes installed and tomorrow will drill the handbrake holes. Details on that modification to come when the cables get here.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Bruce has the motor ready for install, but we hit a snag on the transaxle: DAPO someone drilled out the speedometer drive.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That is a pretty motor. Your car is coming along very nicely. beerchug.gif
Bullethead
Did the insulation today... combination of one layer of Dynamat covered by Siless Liner, a closed cell foam sound and heat barrier. Doubled up, hoping for a tolerable cabin.

Click to view attachment

Also test fitment of the Perlon that didn't inspire confidence. I don't want to fuck it up so will likely bring in a pro to do it.
Shivers
Nice build, a whole lot of nice touches. Speaking of touches on the second page I noticed a between the seats e-brake handle. I didn’t seem to find anything about the install. Any chance you could enlighten us? That’s kind of cool
windforfun
Wow!!! You're a truly gifted artist!!!

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
Bullethead
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 11 2023, 04:32 PM) *

Nice build, a whole lot of nice touches. Speaking of touches on the second page I noticed a between the seats e-brake handle. I didn’t seem to find anything about the install. Any chance you could enlighten us? That’s kind of cool

Thanks, will provide details and pics when I get the brake cables. Basically, it's the same as a 911 using two short 914 cables. Armando has a bunch of historic photos on his GT PBase site, I just copped the simplest version.

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 11 2023, 05:45 PM) *

Unless I'm densely missing sarcasm? Hardly... 80% of this build is being accomplished by talented people that are paid for their contributions. If artistry includes penmanship while writing checks, OK then. rolleyes.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Oct 11 2023, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 11 2023, 04:32 PM) *

Thanks, will provide details and pics when I get the brake cables. Basically, it's the same as a 911 using two short 914 cables. Armando has a bunch of historic photos on his GT PBase site, I just copped the simplest version.

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 11 2023, 05:45 PM) *

Unless I'm densely missing sarcasm? Hardly... 80% of this build is being accomplished by talented people that are paid for their contributions. If artistry includes penmanship while writing checks, OK then. rolleyes.gif

No sarcasm intended whatsoever. Your workers are therefore very talented people. But the buck stops (& goes) with you so you know talent when you see it. Sometimes it just requires perseverance on top skill. When Michelangelo sculpted "David" he supposedly said: "You wouldn't be nearly as impressed if you knew how many times it took me to get this fucking statue right."
TRS63
Fantastic build, with so much cool details..love this project !
Antoine
Bullethead
QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 11 2023, 07:52 PM) *

No sarcasm intended whatsoever. Your workers are therefore very talented people. But the buck stops (& goes) with you so you know talent when you see it. Sometimes it just requires perseverance on top skill. When Michelangelo sculpted "David" he supposedly said: "You wouldn't be nearly as impressed if you knew how many times it took me to get this fucking statue right."

lol-2.gif av-943.gif Good one! Thanks for the kind words!
Bullethead
Engine and gearbox are in...

Click to view attachment
eric9144
drooley.gif
Lof8
Wow. Hell of a build!
Justinp71
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Oct 11 2023, 12:11 PM) *

Did the insulation today... combination of one layer of Dynamat covered by Siless Liner, a closed cell foam sound and heat barrier. Doubled up, hoping for a tolerable cabin.

Click to view attachment

Also test fitment of the Perlon that didn't inspire confidence. I don't want to fuck it up so will likely bring in a pro to do it.

Nice build!

I just did my own perlon, its not too bad just get it not backed. Start at the top and go down. Then the part that stretches over the firewall hump (middle) will stretch out. Nice thing about the perlon is if you do mess up you can cut out the wrinkle later. You cannot detect patches. Just don't over glue it so the glue comes thru.

One thing I will say is once it's done you can see any changes in the firewall that are 1/8" or bigger. But it's not bad though because you only see them at certain angles and the seats cover most of the view of the perlon.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Pair of Proper 1.625" competition 9146gt exhaust headers coming your way
Click to view attachment
Justinp71
I will agree those headers are amazing, I have them and they make a ton of power smile.gif.
BillJ
Marty equipped my car as well. Very well done.
Bullethead
Thanks Marty! beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Thank you @Justinp71 @BillJ @Bullethead & many others for representing the World of exhaust scavenging with our brand !
marty914.jpg
Marty + the MSDS crew
Maltese Falcon
Last QC check is the cylinder head fit / fine tuning the fitment with thermal adjustments if necessary smile.gif
Click to view attachment
marty914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.