Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914/6 GT Replica Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
BillJ
Ok good to hear and for sure safety took a back seat (pun intended) to speed back then.
Bullethead
Seams sealed, underside schutzed and painted, hood pins fitted. They'll probably cut the fuel filler today. Very close to final paint, and finally back to Klub Sport for assembly.

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Bullethead
Click to view attachment
NS914
Russ, the work is awesome and the car...well, just WOW!!!

I am doing a center mount brake set up as well. Could you possibly post some pics of what you have done to your car? I was looking at a more elevated set up but yours looks really clean.

Regards,

Grant
simonjb
wow. Just amazing. well done.
mb911
looks really nice. I see one of my oil line covers in the picture
Bullethead
Indeed you do, Ben... nice piece! Using your hard lines as well. beerchug.gif

Grant, I'll take a few detail pics of the handbrake with dimensions. Or you can go to Armando's site for that and much more. He's devoted a huge amount of time and energy covering all the nuanced details of both factory and privateer GT builds.

He's the GT guru and deserves props.

https://pbase.com/9146gt/root
Bullethead
More paint done... lots of details to address. Underside, cockpit, engine compartment and trunks are all single stage. It's hard to get even color when cutting and buffing final, so the exterior will be two stage. Very close to reassembly time.

Click to view attachment

Bullethead

Click to view attachment
Bullethead

The old foam in the tank was dust, so it was boiled out and refinished. Haven't stuffed the new foam in yet but should be fun.

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Huh. Photo wouldn't load in previous post.

Click to view attachment

Bullethead

Click to view attachment
Bullethead

Click to view attachment
Bullethead

Click to view attachment
Bullethead

Click to view attachment
Bullethead

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very very nice build. Looking forward to seeing assembly. popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
mlindner
Very cool Russ, thanks for sharing. Mark
Jett
Wow!
burton73
Great work on your car. Its so nice to see work at this level.

Best Bob B
first.gif
Bullethead
Paint is finished, the resto shop will bolt the doors and lids on next week and we'll start assembly soon after. Glad I didn't change the color much as I thought about it, really digging the classic safety orange after all.

We probably won't get the FG engine tin from F-S-H in Germany until late January, so if it's completed by March it will be a miracle. Interior details are gonna be fun!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
Krieger
WOW, that looks amazing! Don't rush the reassembly.
Graydingo
Beautiful paint!
Bullethead
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 30 2022, 11:26 AM) *

WOW, that looks amazing! Don't rush the reassembly.

Of course, you're right. Steady progress... lids and doors fitted, headlight actuator works great, soon back to Klubsport for the drivetrain.

Still waiting for some parts from Germany, but finally got good news that the brightwork is on the way, and all of the rubber has been accounted for. Time to polish some glass.

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Click to view attachment

Panel fit and paint is near perfection... these guys do exceptional work.
Bullethead

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Used the same "D" handle for the lights as for the engine lid. Cheap and easier than adapting the hood release part.

Click to view attachment
pete000
Impressive!
Dion
That is fantastic! drooley.gif beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jan 26 2023, 02:27 PM) *

AWESOME build!!!!

Love those GT hood hinges...wink...wink

beerchug.gif first.gif
Bullethead
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jan 27 2023, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Jan 26 2023, 02:27 PM) *

AWESOME build!!!!

Love those GT hood hinges...wink...wink

beerchug.gif first.gif

Thanks! They are pretty durn cool. beerchug.gif
seanpaulmc
5 weeks till Amelia Island.

Great progress. The car looks fantastic!

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Apr 4 2022, 03:39 PM) *

Thanks Dion, hope to bring it to Amelia sooner or later... and do a few road events. Couple of fun ones in Florida, also think this car would be great for Highlands. Taking our '67S this year.

Bullethead
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Jan 27 2023, 02:22 PM) *

5 weeks till Amelia Island.

Great progress. The car looks fantastic!

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Apr 4 2022, 03:39 PM) *

Thanks Dion, hope to bring it to Amelia sooner or later... and do a few road events. Couple of fun ones in Florida, also think this car would be great for Highlands. Taking our '67S this year.

Yeah, would love to make it this year but 5 weeks? It's not gonna happen. Much to do...
gms
Here is your car in May 1996 at the Hot Springs AR - 914 MUSR
@jt914-6 was the owner as I recall
there are more pictures in JT's Blog

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
w00t.gif Wow!! Thanks for that, Glenn... looks fantastic, loved, and he clearly drove it! Gotta wonder how on earth did it fall so low?!?
rick 918-S
Very nicely done. welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2023, 06:57 AM) *

Very nicely done. welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

I just saw this thread about my old factory six. I bought it in the mid 80's from the owner who was in Tulsa, Ok. I autocrossed it for years. I won ASP in our region once in it. I wanted to build a track car and the body on this car was in bad shape. I was at a shop a family member had and it was then when I removed rocker panels and discovered the angle iron! It came with the factory 2.0. I replaced it with a 2.7 until I had head studs that pulled. I got a nice 3.0RS spec motor built on a 3.3 turbo case. I found a nice 914-4 for my project car. I removed what I wanted to keep and sold it to a friend who lived in Tulsa but at the time of the sale he was moving to Texas. That's the last I heard of that chassis. As well as autocrossing I was an instructor for the PCA driver ed events at Hallett, Ok., Memphis Mototsports Park, and Road Atlanta.

Click to view attachment
The factory six and the project six.
Bullethead
So cool to have all this personal history provided by a previous steward of this car! Thanks for filling in a substantial period and especially the photos, it's a pleasure to time travel a bit.

beerchug.gif
davehg
I’m watching Bernie Buschen restore his GT in time for Rennsport and it’s interesting how similar your two cars are - down to the tank and cable pull headlights. Like you he’s got some real unobtanium bits and likely also a 2.8 twin plug RSR with slide valves.

Who will finish first?
Bullethead
QUOTE(davehg @ May 12 2023, 01:55 AM) *

I’m watching Bernie Buschen restore his GT in time for Rennsport and it’s interesting how similar your two cars are - down to the tank and cable pull headlights. Like you he’s got some real unobtanium bits and likely also a 2.8 twin plug RSR with slide valves.

Who will finish first?

Bernie.
jt914-6
Three more pics down memory lane....So glad to see the factory six getting a proper update!!!

Click to view attachment
Taken not long after I bought it.

Click to view attachment
I put some Fuchs on it and Supertrap exhaust.

Click to view attachment
At Hallett, Ok with Ronal 3 piece wheels.
Bullethead
wub.gif The Ronals ... Thanks for those, JT!

Making progress, harness is in, suspension is on, and while waiting for some parts restored the wiper system and started on the defrost/blower. Also fabbed up the fuel gauge binnacle which came out pretty nice. 60mm exhaust pipe cut on a 30 degree angle, tacked on a couple of washers as mounting points and sprayed with a little bed-liner paint.

Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Click to view attachment
Dion
That fuel gage looks perfect! Nice fab work.
Bullethead
Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Not digging the fresh air / defrost job at all. I have two complete sets in the stash, and MAYBE half is usable because of cracks and broken tabs. The good airbox has overspray that won't come off, so semi-gloss black rattlecan is gonna happen.

At least the blower motor is available.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.