Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Route 66 - 2023 Idyllwild, CA April 13th - 16th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
76-914
QUOTE(914Toy @ Feb 26 2023, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 30 2023, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Jan 30 2023, 08:02 PM) *

icon_bump.gif what’s the latest on this event. Thought I’d stirthepot.gif it up!

We're down to 28 people. lol-2.gif Most of the planning is done. I'm waiting for a volunteer to hit up our 914 suppliers for......well whatever they give us. Thursday will be a short hop down to Palm Springs for a late lunch or early dinner. Let's call it linner. Not many people that day and we can't check in early so a short trip is appropriate.. Friday we will head over the Big Bear Mountain for lunch overlooking the lake then down the mountain, albeit a bit different route, and back to Idyllwild where we will dine locally.
Saturday will be our longest drive but I've yet to select a lunch spot since my goto place won't re-open in time. Saturday nite is in limbo until I go up the mountain to find a place- there are only 2- that can seat all of us. Thursday, Friday evenings will be on the deck, or a local pub of your choice, wherein copious amounts of Cherry PepsiCola, beer and wine shall be consumed. For your entertainment.....well there isn't any unless Jim brings his guitar or Mike D gets so drunk he attempts to walk. driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif drunk.gif grouphug.gif

For Thursday, what time should we plan on beginning the “short hop”?

I'm shooting for 1400hrs (2pm) Keith. Just a run into Palm Springs for dinner with friends arriving Thursday. Cheers
76-914
This could end up like WCR 2017. I remember huge snow banks surrounding our Motel. The roads were dry and it was beautiful. Considering the average high locally for March 2023 is forecast to be in the 60's. Take a look at our snowfall this past week.........https://www.pressenterprise.com/2023/02/26/heres-a-by-the-numbers-look-at-the-massive-southern-california-storm/
76-914
The Trophy's are ordered and will arrive within 2 weeks. I love when a plan comes together starts to look like it just might come together! aktion035.gif
914Toy
Thursday schedule beerchug.gif
RFoulds
Plan to join for drives from my local home. Hope I get motor back from Jorge in time.
So just me, but not the big bear drive. All other drives.
TROJANMAN
beerchug.gif
TrojanGrandDaughter
Hi! My grandfather and I would like to join Saturday morning into Sunday.

I called to make a reservation and left a voicemail.

Is there an itinerary for Saturday, we will be driving up early that morning to join in time.

Are there still shirts available to purchase?

Thank you!
TrojanGrandDaughter
He's got his partner, don't worry!
76-914
QUOTE(TrojanGrandDaughter @ Mar 3 2023, 03:26 PM) *

He's got his partner, don't worry!

Shirt orders are open until March 9th so look at the first post and John has the link listed there. There are several styles from which to choose including ladies, long sleeves, hoodies, etc. Just so I can attempt to keep things organized will you be a party of 3 & 2 cars? I haven't laid out Saturdays route yet but since I won't need windshield wipers for the first time in a month or so I plan to do that in the next week or 2. Our usual departure time is 9:14am. We look forward to having ya'll.
76-914
Look what just arrived! 1 of 6. Click on the pic to upright.

Click to view attachment
FL000
Those awards look awesome beerchug.gif I (luckily) won’t be winning any distance award for this trip.

Looking forward to it and it is sneaking up fast.
76-914
QUOTE(FL000 @ Mar 4 2023, 04:40 PM) *

Those awards look awesome beerchug.gif I (luckily) won’t be winning any distance award for this trip.

Looking forward to it and it is sneaking up fast.

Well thx. I wanted some with 914's on top and they just laughed at me. I wouldn't be surprised if you drive home with one of these Josh. smilie_pokal.gif
TrojanGrandDaughter
Party of 2, 1 car!
76-914
If you're coming in Thursday we will depart the Motel around 2:00 and arrive appx 4:00 in Palm Springs for an evening meal at Birba's Italian Restaurant. Should arrive back at the Motel around 7pm. It's a beautiful route both ways. If you can't make it we will see you back at the Motel later. Then Friday morning appx 9:14 we will depart for Big Bear Mountain where we shall enjoy our lunch at one of 3 restaurants with a waterfront view. all 3 of these restaurants are within 100yards of one another so we can have a choice while remaining as a group. Presently Google Maps isn't allowing me to create our intended route because of road closures so that will be forthcoming. Hopefully within the next 7 days. At that time I will post the restaurants address' along with the intended routes. If one of you can embed this map pls do so. I couldn't figure that part out. Also, I'd recommend sending these routes to your cell phone as they are posted. driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif

https://goo.gl/maps/UwyyNCa3fQ8kd4sBA
76-914
Jim Hoyland contacted me yesterday with a concern re: the cancellation policy at Silver Pines Lodge. I fired off a letter to them expressing my concerns and asked that they get back with me since "time is of the essence". I just got off the phone with them and the owners said 1) the cancellation policy, which states 30 days notice required, does not apply to us since it was instituted after I cut a deal with them and 2) if someone did need to cancel they would like to get a 2 week notice. I mentioned that our main concern were road closures not so much the rain. They told me catastrophic events wouldn't hold us liable. Earlier this morning I checked 5 different Wx forecasts from reputable agency's and all were mostly in agreement. All forecast low 70's; one forecast a possibility of rain on the Sunday we depart; one forecast clear/sunny days that entire week; the other 4 forecast partly cloudy that entire week. To sum up it's looking like a great time to drive those 50 year old air cooled engines. I will stay on top of this and let everyone know if there are changes in the forecast that might preclude your attendance. Let the good times roll. TIA, Kent driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif cheer.gif drunk.gif piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 12 2023, 09:33 AM) *

To sum up it's looking like a great time to drive those 50 year old air cooled engines.

Happy to hear you are abandoning your Subaru creations. pain30.gif
76-914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 12 2023, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 12 2023, 09:33 AM) *

To sum up it's looking like a great time to drive those 50 year old air cooled engines.

Happy to hear you are abandoning your Subaru creations. pain30.gif

Hah! lol-2.gif No way. I was speaking collectively.
76-914
Friday's Drive. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/28200+CA-18...2522114!3e0
Mikey914
Room: #15. The Sequoia
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 22 2023, 10:13 AM) *

Mike, Say hi to my dad for me. I'm not sure if he still has this shirt or not, and I am not sure he ever got the joke lol-2.gif

I am going to send him your link right now, because I think he needs some random stuff smash.gif

I know I will be ordering some stuff soon, to be sent to PMB biggrin.gif

Have fun Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Mar 26 2023, 05:18 PM) *
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 22 2023, 10:13 AM) *
Mike, Say hi to my dad for me. I'm not sure if he still has this shirt or not, and I am not sure he ever got the joke lol-2.gif

I am going to send him your link right now, because I think he needs some random stuff smash.gif

I know I will be ordering some stuff soon, to be sent to PMB biggrin.gif

Have fun

Great to see your pops looking healthy & happy, Greg. Miss hanging out at you guys' cabin in Big Bear.
ThinAir
Really looking forward to this event and getting together with friends both old & new.

I'll be towing behind my home on wheels and will stay in the hotel parking lot (if I can get away with it) or find a nearby place to camp out.
76-914
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Mar 27 2023, 09:56 PM) *

Really looking forward to this event and getting together with friends both old & new.

I'll be towing behind my home on wheels and will stay in the hotel parking lot (if I can get away with it) or find a nearby place to camp out.

Great news Ernie. There are camping areas around if need be. See you there. beerchug.gif
mxkinn01
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Mar 27 2023, 08:56 PM) *

Ernie,
I will also be towing up from Vegas. I contacted Jim Hoyland, Vegas racer and Kent, and all were unsure of the parking situation so I called the Silver Pines and talked to them. There will be very limited towing rig parking spots (there might be more space by the restaurant area) and they said first come first serve. So I suggest getting there early. Overall they seemed very relaxed about where we park so we should be good to go.
Mike
mxkinn01
Here is a live shot of Idyllwild road that Duane from Las Vegas shared if anyone wants to keep a closer eye on things.
Thanks Duane.
Mike

https://www.youtube.com/live/bPyVuVHgBVc?feature=share
ThinAir
QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Mar 28 2023, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Mar 27 2023, 08:56 PM) *

Ernie,
I will also be towing up from Vegas. I contacted Jim Hoyland, Vegas racer and Kent, and all were unsure of the parking situation so I called the Silver Pines and talked to them. There will be very limited towing rig parking spots (there might be more space by the restaurant area) and they said first come first serve. So I suggest getting there early. Overall they seemed very relaxed about where we park so we should be good to go.
Mike

Thanks for that info. I'm planning to be there fairly early on Thursday.
douglastic
I live nearby
Are looky-loos allowed to come stare awkwardly at all the 914 goodness?
VegasRacer
Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.
76-914
QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Mar 28 2023, 08:25 AM) *

Here is a live shot of Idyllwild road that Duane from Las Vegas shared if anyone wants to keep a closer eye on things.
Thanks Duane.
Mike

https://www.youtube.com/live/bPyVuVHgBVc?feature=share

It is nothing but Sunshine for the next few weeks so whatever Youtube shows will change. There will be snow in areas but the roads will be dry.Should be like WCR 2017 in Mammoth. The trailer parking will probably be next to the office. There is a gravel lot there and maybe alongside the road between the 2 buildings. beerchug.gif
76-914
Time to get under the hood and preflight your vehicles if you haven't already done so. I spent the day getting mine prepped. Still need to wash n shine but that will wait until the day before. driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif
SO.O.C914er
Pam and I are so looking forward to this! Drive on…..Paul driving.gif
PVG123
Any schedule or route posted for Saturday? I'm trying to make it up Friday afternoon and join the drive Saturday. Looking forward to it piratenanner.gif
76-914
I'm doing that today!
PVG123
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 3 2023, 02:38 PM) *

I'm doing that today!

Cool, I’m sure it takes a lot of coordinating, thanks for putting this event together. I’m looking forward to meeting you and some of the other 914W guys. driving-girl.gif
76-914
Saturdays drive 4.5 hours duration. We'll go down one side of the mountains, come around the other side, run up to the Palomar Observatory, back down staying on back roads all the way into Hemet which we will mostly by pass then back up the mountains to Idyllwild. Some where along the way we'll grab a bite to eat and have a few photo ops.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/25955+Cedar...3563057!3e0
76-914
Weather is still looking good. I have more faith in the 10 day forecast than the 30 day forecast. Presently we are looking at low 70's in the flat lands and high 50's in the mountains on Wednesday the 12th. It should remain that way for the duration of the event. The evening & earning morning lows should be in the low 40's so plan on dressing appropriately. driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif
michael7810
I'm planning to join you on the Saturday drive. I'll be driving up early Sat through Hemet and will peal off around Hemet towards the end of the drive. I'll be visiting my brother in Menifee. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Cheers.
gonzo54
My car is not working properly and unfortunately I am cancelling my reservation at the Silver Pines. I have about 250 miles on a new rebuild and have been chasing a serious throttle stumbling problem for the last 100 miles (been here before with the D-Jet) I don't want to take a chance and breakdown getting there or on the drives. I want to thank Kent @76-914 and all of the vendors and support crew that have helped put the Route 66 drive together.

Rick & Shirley (Room 8 Owls Nest)
76-914
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Apr 4 2023, 05:45 AM) *

I'm planning to join you on the Saturday drive. I'll be driving up early Sat through Hemet and will peal off around Hemet towards the end of the drive. I'll be visiting my brother in Menifee. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Cheers.

Looking forward to seeing you Michael. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Apr 4 2023, 06:00 AM) *

My car is not working properly and unfortunately I am cancelling my reservation at the Silver Pines. I have about 250 miles on a new rebuild and have been chasing a serious throttle stumbling problem for the last 100 miles (been here before with the D-Jet) I don't want to take a chance and breakdown getting there or on the drives. I want to thank Kent @76-914 and all of the vendors and support crew that have helped put the Route 66 drive together.

Rick & Shirley (Room 8 Owls Nest)

Another time. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
I've been swamped here at work and with other obligations, but my wife and I can't wait to see everyone again next week.
914 is 100% ready, bringing up some nice swag biggrin.gif for everyone.

Thank you Kent for all your efforts...you D'man!!!!

beerchug.gif beer.gif piratenanner.gif cheer.gif chowtime.gif first.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Oscar

Mike D.
Went out for a ride yesterday just to make sure everything was normal.
And......"CLUNK" .... damn ....
I'll fix it.
See you all next weekend!
76-914
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Apr 6 2023, 12:12 PM) *

Went out for a ride yesterday just to make sure everything was normal.
And......"CLUNK" .... damn ....
I'll fix it.
See you all next weekend!

I've got some baling wire! biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 6 2023, 10:52 AM) *

I've been swamped here at work and with other obligations, but my wife and I can't wait to see everyone again next week.
914 is 100% ready, bringing up some nice swag biggrin.gif for everyone.

Thank you Kent for all your efforts...you D'man!!!!

beerchug.gif beer.gif piratenanner.gif cheer.gif chowtime.gif first.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Oscar

Can't wait to see you & Elvira, Oscar. I'm throwing in some items too. Mark aka Mikey914 of 914 Rubber, Eric Shea of PMB Performance, Mark Heard aka 914Sixer Oscar aka ValcoOscar, Chris of Tangerine Racing, Margie aka 914SIXXation, and Chris @ Pelican Parts have all come through as well. There are some roads around Big Bear that presently require chains but I expect that will change after this weekends warmup. If not the road to Lake Arrowhead will be open to all. Worst case is we might have to come back down the same road we went up on. No big deal. driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif
76-914
Since the evenings will be so cold I decided to rent the Lodge so we could all be together in comfort. It has a big brick fireplace! What I do need is for someone to bring some firewood for Thrs, Fri & Sat nights. As expected, firewood is in short supply at Idyllwild. I'd bring some but I can't fit any in the 914. sad.gif
rhodyguy
Swing by my place and we’ll load up 1/2 of a cord of seasoned firewood. smile.gif
ValcoOscar
Teaser......

Some of my swag will be oversized 914 sweatshirts, both for guys and gals!!!

aktion035.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif

O
76-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 6 2023, 02:08 PM) *

Swing by my place and we’ll load up 1/2 of a cord of seasoned firewood. smile.gif

I don't suppose you could deliver? lol-2.gif
76-914
QUOTE(douglastic @ Mar 28 2023, 10:03 AM) *

I live nearby
Are looky-loos allowed to come stare awkwardly at all the 914 goodness?

Sorry I skimmed over this earlier Doug. Of course you'd be welcome to stare at the 914's any morning before 9:14 of after 4:00pm afternoons. Otherwise we'll be out and about. beerchug.gif @douglastic
76-914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 6 2023, 02:42 PM) *

Teaser......

Some of my swag will be oversized 914 sweatshirts, both for guys and gals!!!

aktion035.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif

O

Thx Oscar. pray.gif You da Man. too. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.