Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennsport Reunion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
tygaboy
As some of you know, I worked the 000 booth. An exhausting week, what with set up, the event and take-down/trailering home Sunday night. But cool, cool, cool!
I'll start with some of my favorite 911s:
tygaboy
Here are just a couple pics I got of people who wandered into the booth to catch up with our very own @horizontally-opposed Pete Stout. This is Peter Brock, designer of the Daytona Coupe, among other things, who came by on set up day. Our Pete looks up and says, "Hey Pete! You mentioned we should get into Pike's Peak. Come over and take a look at the record setting car..."
I'm just standing there with my chin on the floor. I'm such a fan-boy...
tygaboy
Here's Grant Larson (in the BOSS jacket) chatting with 000 co-founder Alex. For those who, like me, don't know who this guy is:

"Larson joined Porsche in 1989. As an Exterior Designer, he was responsible for bold and breakthrough designs for the original Boxster and Panamera automobiles."

Important people whose work has impacted my life were just "stopping by to say hi...'

That includes another of our 914 family: @Eric_Shea , with his wife Dianne, talking with Pete there in the background.

The absolute best part is that to a person, they were as nice as could be, willing to hang out and answer questions, take pics with the fans, etc. Just so crazy cool.
tygaboy
And here are a couple non-glamour, behind the scene shots on load-out day. It was fun talking with the team guys. Again, just a bunch of regular guys "at work". I'm drooling and they're just going about their buisness, totally unimpressed with themselves and the hardware.

Funny about the Newman 911: The team couldn't find their trailer as the guy who parked it wasn't around and no one could get him on a phone. While the search was on, I got to talk with the crew chief, hear about the weekend, etc. As with all these other people, as soon as I started asking about the car, he opens the engine lid, starts telling me about the issue they ran into with some eletrical component... Just regular folks at work, dealing with crap to get through their day.
What a weekend.
Maltese Falcon
Surprise visitor stopped by to say hi Alois Ruf, of the cutting edge Ruf werkes in Germany !
We sent them some 9146gt exhaust headers last year for a customer build.
Super chill guy and loved the Sonauto car number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment
SKL1
Back in Scottsdale last night from my first RR. Had a great time and agree, met several over the 4 days and everyone was very accommodating, including running into Jochen Mass and JR Hildebrand the first morning.
Experienced the corkscrew, sort of, with the lapping Sunday group though unfortunately it was raining in spite of blue skies!! Got to follow one of Eric's crew in his nice Gulf blue 914-6...
Pretty much sensory overload!!
AZBanks
Got in late/early this morning.
My boys and I had a great time. Saw some great cars and some great people.
I can't say enough about Eric Shea and the crew at PMB.
I was in the PMB booth and asked about a throttle cable. Eric had one of his crew(Holly) get on the phone with a supplier and arrange a Saturday delivery to my hotel.
jim_hoyland
agree.gif PMB s booth was great as well as J Wests
ThinAir
QUOTE(Elvira @ Sep 29 2023, 04:45 PM) *

Wet Brick.

What's the story with this? I've been around long enough that I should probably know, but sometimes I don't pay attention. blink.gif
Elvira
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Oct 2 2023, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Elvira @ Sep 29 2023, 04:45 PM) *

Wet Brick.

What's the story with this?

In 2004 Laguna Seca was paving an area at the top of the Corkscrew. The 914club members sponsored 2 bricks.
(Search 'brick' for topics and you can find several threads.)
Maltese Falcon
When you have a cool neighbor in the exhibit tent who needs you to get into their 917, and put in neutral and steer while being pushed
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Fits like a handmade German Suit biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Step 1: do not step on tank !
Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
RR7 Group Photo.
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
NiceGold 914 on display lawn
jim_hoyland
Slant nose
jim_hoyland
Nuther
SKL1
Headed out for the lapping session Sunday AM. I guess only in CA can it rain with blue skies... boy the car needed a GOOD bath, inside and out, on Monday after I got back to Scottsdale!!
OK it's not a 914, but it's not the early '70's anymore, and I'm not in my 20's anymore either!Click to view attachment

I followed one of Eric Shea's buddies in a nice Gulf blue 914- and there was a split window 356 (with French yellow headlights) in the row next to me!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Elvira @ Oct 1 2023, 07:11 PM) *

NARP.

i am imagining it or is that BAJA NARP right hand drive? blink.gif

(love all your desert driving photos @VegasRacer beerchug.gif )
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 1 2023, 10:27 PM) *

Dunpy #40 at work, @MATTYLITE and me had total of 5 days of track time> exhibit laps.
Click to view attachment

go dunpy beerchug.gif
mlmgm
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 1 2023, 05:12 PM) *

Great looking 914, who’s car is this ?

Thank you. That’s my son’s car, Ryan McLaughlin. A handful of build photos on my IG account mlmgm9146. Most are at the early part of the feed.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(markhoward @ Sep 30 2023, 06:35 AM) *

Cool pic the 914 shadow smile.gif
Steve
beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif Loved the JWest booth. So glad they came. Nice family run operation!! Really nice people!! I tried to buy another shift knob, but it didn't fit my early Rennshift. Glad I was able to test out the shift knob while i was there. I ended up buying a new shift stem to fit the late knob and also purchased another 917 wooden shift knob to fit the late stem. Also bought the fog light adapter to flash your fog lights. With every purchase I got to select a freebee, so I also ended up with a tshirt, bag and hat. I can use the early JWest parts on my other 914. I think i visited this booth the most. I kept going back looking for something else to buy!!
SKL1
+100 on JWest- he helped me with a technical question as the rennshifts on both my 914's seem to work differently- he went through a few things for me to try and adjust. And I needed another shift boot so I had a new shirt to wear to dinner that night! smile.gif

jim_hoyland
James helped me out with new blue and gold springs. What a great business model and product line.
Maltese Falcon
@MATTYLITE getting his artwork on the 30' long Porsche Caricature wall smile.gif
Click to view attachment
targa72e
I also purchased several items from jwest. Discounted pricing and no shipping was nice incentive. Planed on purchasing more items but never found time to make it back around the vendors area, just too much cool stuff to see.

johh
jhynesrockmtn
We got back home Wednesday around 3pm. A few wounds but nothing serious. Great return route, mostly up the coast. A lot of rain and fog. Thankful for working wipers. Cheers to everyone we got the chance to connect with.

If you get the chance. Check out the WAAAM (Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum) in Hood River OR. https://www.waaamuseum.org/

It is mostly an aviation museum but they have some cool cars there as well.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
RR7 was a good Thing !¡!
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 6 2023, 08:45 AM) *

go betty.
phoenix red 74 1.8s forever. beer.gif
you got 4 years on me.
just clocked 34 with mine about 2 months ago.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 8 2023, 02:55 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 6 2023, 08:45 AM) *

go betty.
phoenix red 74 1.8s forever. beer.gif
you got 4 years on me.
just clocked 34 with mine about 2 months ago.

She has had that car longer than she has had me. driving-girl.gif
vintage914racer
QUOTE(mlmgm @ Oct 4 2023, 07:07 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 1 2023, 05:12 PM) *

Great looking 914, who’s car is this ?

Thank you. That’s my son’s car, Ryan McLaughlin. A handful of build photos on my IG account mlmgm9146. Most are at the early part of the feed.

I was admiring your son's car Saturday morning at RR. I have the same fenders on my 914 vintage racer. I assume you custom made the front spoiler/airdam?
bkrantz
One more photo, from the invited display area.
Maltese Falcon
I noticed that the RR7 staff removed/replaced these colored-in panels a few times during the 4 day show.
Later in the day our #40 car'icature was hijacked and painted green & pink biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Pursang
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Oct 7 2023, 07:56 AM) *

We got back home Wednesday around 3pm. A few wounds but nothing serious. Great return route, mostly up the coast. A lot of rain and fog. Thankful for working wipers. Cheers to everyone we got the chance to connect with.

If you get the chance. Check out the WAAAM (Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum) in Hood River OR. https://www.waaamuseum.org/

Click to view attachment

I agree about the WAAAM location. They try to drive and fly their exhibits at least one annually. Took my eldest son with me in my 914 just after the first of the month and drove to Madras to see the Erickson Aircraft Collection. These planes actually do fly. Most are WWII vintage and they are simply breathtaking.

I let my boy do the driving there and I drove home. Three hundred miles. Longest drive anyone other than me has made in the car. Longest drive I have ever done as a passenger in it. Seventy-seven year old man in a nearly fifty year old, 190K mile car that I have owned for 36 years. Man, that was fun.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Pursang @ Oct 8 2023, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Oct 7 2023, 07:56 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I agree about the WAAAM location. They try to drive and fly their exhibits at least one annually. Took my eldest son with me in my 914 just after the first of the month and drove to Madras to see the Erickson Aircraft Collection. These planes actually do fly. Most are WWII vintage and they are simply breathtaking.

I let my boy do the driving there and I drove home. Three hundred miles. Longest drive anyone other than me has made in the car. Longest drive I have ever done as a passenger in it. Seventy-seven year old man in a nearly fifty year old car. Man, that was fun.

Awesome RR7 Father & Son trip !¡
number40_914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
Cool Sonauto dealership badge smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Fun in the Corkscrew...got some good pro driver tips on entering at top; not full speed anyhow just 4 exhibition laps daily aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Nice late conversion seen infield. Not in database, but adding
jim_hoyland
Beautiful car with custom touches. Adding to vin database’s
jim_hoyland
Nuther 914 parked in infield
Justinp71
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 9 2023, 01:09 PM) *

Fun in the Corkscrew...got some good pro driver tips on entering at top; not full speed anyhow just 4 exhibition laps daily aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment

So cool!

Did you ever notice it looks to me like the rear fenders on #40 are like 1/2" -1" wider than a normal GT?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 9 2023, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 9 2023, 01:09 PM) *

Click to view attachment

So cool!

Did you ever notice it looks to me like the rear fenders on #40 are like 1/2" -1" wider than a normal GT?

These rear fenders are wider + good eye ! They were the prototype GT rear arches, hand beaten and buck formed>>prior to the metal stampings we are accustomed with.
number40_914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
Two's company...but Three's (never) a crowd aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
Sm914650
Just getting to developing some film from Rennsport
Sm914650
busy day
flat4guy
Click to view attachment
Did anyone fill out the "what got you hooked" wall.
Maltese Falcon
Over at Tarpys near the track, celebrating our friend Alex Wong's HBD, RR7 and good times with Family and friends @VegasRacer @MATTYLITE
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
#46 356 1951 LM24 Class P1 in the 1.5L group, also first LeMans win for Porsche. Auguste Veuillet was co-driver and also the owner of Sonauto Porsche dealership Paris, France first.gif
Pic by @MATTYLITE
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.