Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennsport Reunion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
BillJ
So my son, who is 11, and I will be headed to Rennsport in September and wanted to know who from around here is going to attend? Any must see things around Salitas i need to check out? Also anybody know where a good place to rent a fun car for the long weekend?
Beach914
First, I hope you've secured a place to stay in Monterey, Seaside, or Salinas already. Things to do mostly involve the coastal scenery, Big Sur, Point Lobos, Pebble Beach. Great drive out to Carmel Valley Village on Carmel Valley Rd. Downtown Carmel and Carmel Beach, bring your down vest in October ! That's what NorCal beaches are all about.
Don't think there would be much going on in Salinas for you.
Hopefully we'll be blessed with great weather that's typically present at the end of Summer on the central coast.
sixaddict
Maybe the garlic festival ( seriously there is one) ……or maybe a Bobby McGee siting. dry.gif
Sorry Bill…couldnt resist.
lalee914
The Monterrey Aquarium is excellent. Easy to spend a half day there. There are also whale watching trips which can be wonderful if you find a good group of whales. Drive along the coast towards Big Sur. Amazing scenery. Many places to stop. We happened upon a feeding frenzy of a couple hundred birds dive bombing anchovies right next to the shore. Incredible to watch. Farther down the coast is the Hearst Mansion. Lots of little things to do also.

Very interesting area. You won't have trouble finding things to do and see.
Bullethead
agree.gif The aquarium is terrific, well worth spending half a day. The drive to Big Sur is a classic must do, take HWY68 to Laureles Grade road to get to Carmel Valley. There's usually an ad-hoc Porsche gathering at the Cantina (good food), and you definitely want to drive the Carmel Valley road. It terminates at Greenfield; the 101 brings you back to Salinas. Or you can do a loop around Chachagua Park, it's quiet and beautiful, take a picnic. All of the valley roads are picturesque. Please post pics for those of us unable to attend this year!
racer914
I'll be there! I'll be working as the Steward for the PCA Club Race group but should have plenty of time to look around too. We might be able to get you and your son up to the tower for a look see.
campbellcj
I'll be there as well - camping at the track all 3 days which is my favorite way to experience Laguna Seca. There was an earlier thread as well with some discussion of meet-ups for dinner or local drives/activities which sounds awesome.
BillJ
Wow great feedback all!!! I think the aquarium seems like a winner for sure. I wish my 6 was one of the gt kit cars to maybe be elligible to run but would LOVE a look in the tower. Last one i went to was RR3 so has definitely been a minute
Steve
I will be there. At a minimum you will want to do 17 mile drive and walk around downtown Carmel. I also enjoyed Clint Eastwoods ex restaurant the Hogs Breath in downtown Carmel.
AzGuy238
Suzanne and I will be there. Fly into San Jose and rent a car there.
Eric_Shea
We'll be there...

Check Turo for car sharing.

Big Sur is a great drive. Nepenthe is a nice restaurant with "the" view. Go further to Ragged Point Inn for a great lunch. Plenty of stops along the way.
sixaddict
I checked hotels and choked. Is that why you stay in Salinas?
Still possible to get rooms there?
BillJ
I booked several months ago. I usually go more high brow.but with my son and.i stayed simple.
bkrantz
I will be there, but in my 991. Hotels are indeed a challenge, to find and pay for.
infraredcalvin
For now I’m driving the 930 up from SoCal with the wifey. Looked at hotels again today, crazy that motel 6 quality motels are in the $300+ range…
jhynesrockmtn
We have a group driving mostly 914's down from Spokane WA. One of the 4 is driving his 75 911. Should be a great trip. I'm bringing my BB. One of my buddies will drive his Tangerine 6 down. Luckily we have another friend with a 2nd home in Pebble Beach. Tough life that one has :-)

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
We'll be there coming up from L.A. For events at Laguna Seca, we always stay in Paso Robles. it's only a little over 100 miles between the two. Easier hotels that far out. Just get up early find some coffee and get on the road.
troth
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Jan 31 2023, 10:45 PM) *

We have a group driving mostly 914's down from Spokane WA. One of the 4 is driving his 75 911. Should be a great trip. I'm bringing my BB. One of my buddies will drive his Tangerine 6 down. Luckily we have another friend with a 2nd home in Pebble Beach. Tough life that one has :-)

Click to view attachment

I’ll be driving my ‘81 911 down from Whidbey Island. Will have to link up with you guys along the way.
infraredcalvin
Just booked my hotel, now to set low expectations for the wife on the accommodations vs price. Will be driving out Wednesday, staying through Sun.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(troth @ Feb 1 2023, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Jan 31 2023, 10:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I’ll be driving my ‘81 911 down from Whidbey Island. Will have to link up with you guys along the way.

Excellent. I have a lot of history with Whidbey. We should stay in touch. We can post our route and days/times and see if anyone else wants to try and connect on the way.
targa72e
I will be going. I have made all except the first. They are only getting bigger and better each time.

john
pt_700
for those coming from out of town, santa cruz has lots of hotels and is about an hour north. gilroy is also about an hour away and has great mexican food!

i'm in south san jose and it takes me about 90 minutes.

might be nice to have some "914 world" name tags so we might recognize each other. some years ago, someone suggested a secret hand signal of 3 fingers pointed down on the other upheld palm to represent a jackstand... biggrin.gif
dgw
I live about 70 minutes from the track. I get a room because I don't like driving home in the horrible traffic.
There are some good suggestions on places to go, things to see. I strongly recommend that you check google maps or other sources to verify that where you want to go, the road is open. Here is the Santa Cruz mountains many roads are closed or otherwise impacted by landslides or wash outs that make them impassable. You might think that by the end of September things would be fixed but the amount of damage far exceeds the state and county governments ability to fix everything by then.
BillJ
Good advice! What does everyone think about picking a night and place to gather for a 914World reunion?
Betty
Clay and I would be SO down for a night and place for a 914World get together!

Yes... I badgered him into going to Rennsport. happy11.gif cheer.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif
SKL1
Got a 4 day pass and a 991 coral pass. Too far to drive in a 914- getting soft in my old age...
gms
I will be there and if I am selected I will be racing in the under 2.5L class
BillJ
Oh man. That would be great Glenn!! I am building a legit 2.4 but your cars pedigree should be more than sufficient?
gms
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 4 2023, 11:45 PM) *

... your cars pedigree should be more than sufficient?

Lets hope so
AZBanks
My boys and I will be there.
BillJ
QUOTE(gms @ Feb 5 2023, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 4 2023, 11:45 PM) *

... your cars pedigree should be more than sufficient?

Lets hope so

Its a published car!

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Tarpy's Roadhouse restaurant aktion035.gif on Hwy 68, just inbetween the Laguna Seca track & Monterey bay. Great food and fun atmosphere. We also love the fresh seafood and ocean views at Old Fisherman's Grotto on the Monterey bay pier. The pier also has other great restaurants, tasty treats, gift shops & hot chowder for sampling chowtime.gif
marty914.jpg
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 30 2023, 07:46 PM) *

Tarpy's Roadhouse restaurant aktion035.gif on Hwy 68, just inbetween the Laguna Seca track & Monterey bay. Great food and fun atmosphere. We also love the fresh seafood and ocean views at Old Fisherman's Grotto on the Monterey bay pier. The pier also has other great restaurants, tasty treats, gift shops & hot chowder for sampling chowtime.gif
marty914.jpg

Agree with Marty, and also on the pier is Crabby Jim's Seafood, we had a good meal and fun time there.

Hope to see people there!
driving.gif white914.jpg
BillJ
When we get close we will set a meet up!
Ottomotion
In need of a 914 coral pass. Message me if something becomes available....

Thanks!
Justinp71
QUOTE(Ottomotion @ Mar 30 2023, 07:46 PM) *

In need of a 914 coral pass. Message me if something becomes available....

Thanks!

Yes! I take it these are all sold out?

SKL1
As you get closer to the date there will be coral passes available at sites like rennlist- either to trade or buy as people decide to take different cars, etc.
Ottomotion

Yes! I take it these are all sold out?
[/quote]

Yes. I am on a waiting list in case they open up more spots but not holding my breath.
Ottomotion
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Mar 30 2023, 11:54 PM) *

As you get closer to the date there will be coral passes available at sites like rennlist- either to trade or buy as people decide to take different cars, etc.

Thanks for the 411...
wes
Just heard from Laguna Seca that corrals sales are closed with 200 cars.
jim_hoyland
Anyone thinking of driving Highway 1 north , an excellent website give info on closures and expected completion dates.
And, the site is regularly updated
See: https://bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html
Dominic
I'll be in the corral with our silver 73' 2.0L, looking forward to seeing everyone at Rennsport!

flat4guy
We just booked our rooms - a lot of hotels would not take reso's until April 1st for that week.
jim_hoyland
Don’t forget to sign up for parade laps….
VegasRacer
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 24 2023, 06:25 PM) *

Don’t forget to sign up for parade laps….

@jim_hoyland . I signed up to work as a volunteer for a shift. I did not see any info about Parade Laps. Do you have a link?
jim_hoyland
IIRC, the sign up is at the event ?
Just signed up to volunteer Thur / Fri am’s
Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 1 2023, 06:17 PM) *

Anyone thinking of driving Highway 1 north , an excellent website give info on closures and expected completion dates.

Just depends if you’re in a hurry to get there. Last time I got a late start and took I5 up. Others complained they were stuck behind RV’s on hwy 1 and it took forever to get up there.
Steve
icon_bump.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 25 2023, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 1 2023, 06:17 PM) *

Just depends if you’re in a hurry to get there. Last time I got a late start and took I5 up. Others complained they were stuck behind RV’s on hwy 1 and it took forever to get up there.

Yep...last time we went up the 1...same thing...rubber neckers...RV's no fun.

I5 through Hidden Hills...stop at the James Dean memorial...then Paso for a winery...and onto the 101 for the rest. Normally we stop for the night in the RV in Paso.
tygaboy
I'll be working the 000 booth during the whole event. Please stop by and say hi. I'd love to put some more faces to names. Hope to see you there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.