Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shall I say... 3.6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
thesey914
Michelko, I was considering the same thing, plus I have lost the frickin' inventory list which details the lengths of the bolts to buy. So is it necessary to weld as much around the perimeter? I remember in RJ instructions only a couple of inches long in 2 places are req. ?
michelko
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 31 2007, 05:59 AM) *

QUOTE(michelko @ Mar 31 2007, 05:22 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 31 2007, 01:20 AM) *

If you've got a welder, why bother making extra holes in the body. wink.gif Set it on the lip, center it and ZAP!

Thats my thougt, but i have no expierience with the rj mount. The instructions says bolt and welding. So you think the welding is enough? It´s also a cleaner installation.

smilie_flagge6.gif

I got my six mount from Rich Johnson. It was never bolted, just welded. If there is a good welder, the bolts are not needed. Rich said the bolt in is just so you can drivethe car to someone who can weld the mount in for you. And I had the body shop do it while it was there. I even had them weld in the holes for the bolts in for extra strength.

I would have no problem putting a 3.6 on one of these mounts with just a good welding job holding it in.

That makes sense!! Now i have a good feeling on not to use the screws.

smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 31 2007, 07:38 AM) *

Michelko, I was considering the same thing, plus I have lost the frickin' inventory list which details the lengths of the bolts to buy. So is it necessary to weld as much around the perimeter? I remember in RJ instructions only a couple of inches long in 2 places are req. ?

James,
if you still need the length of the screws i can measure them from the original parts bag for you.

smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
Here is an part of the mounting instruction.

Hardware Kit (Optional)

- Two 911 engine mounts.
- Four 8mm X 20mm bolts with spring washers (8) and nylock inserted lock nuts (4).
- Two 911 engine mount safety washers (2.5 inch OD, 13mm ID).
- Two 12mm X 100mm sport mount bolts with two 12mm bottom washers (12mm ID, 25mm OD), two bottom lock washers and two 12mm nylock inserted lock nuts.
- Two 12mm X 60mm bulkhead support mounting bolts with 12mm spring washers (4) and two nylock inserted lock nuts.
- Two 18mm OD, 12mm ID X 1” long crush prevention sleeves.
- Two 12mm X 40mm bulkhead support mounting bolts with 12mm spring washers (4) and two nylock inserted lock nuts.
smilie_flagge6.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 31 2007, 07:38 AM) *

So is it necessary to weld as much around the perimeter?

probably overkill, but while you're in there and the welder is still hot, why not.
it's only $0.27 in gas and wire ...

welder.gif Andy
thesey914
Thanks michelko, I'm going to bolt + weld. I'd just like to have belt & braces + my welder is only 130amp and would struggle at anything above 3mm. I reckon by 'dipping' into the bulkhead + the steel plate I could weld it very solidly -just would have this nagging doubt.
thesey914
Another thing I noticed was you also have had to grind a bit off the mount to clear the firewall shift linkage flange, have the tail shift cars had to do this?

SirAndy
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Apr 2 2007, 10:46 AM) *

Another thing I noticed was you also have had to grind a bit off the mount to clear the firewall shift linkage flange, have the tail shift cars had to do this?

nope, my mount was already notched in that area to make it fit early cars, didn't have to grind anything ...
bye1.gif Andy
McMark
To repeat what Andy said, that mount is universal and doesn't require griding. Drop it in place and weld it.
thesey914
Maybe I have an early version -I had to grind mine. Not a big deal, but something that could do with amending
SirAndy
another full day of car work. well, sort of. if McMark hadn't called me around 10am and woke me up, i would have slept all day ... biggrin.gif

i went to a show last night and got home around 5:30am ... drunk.gif aktion035.gif

anyways, here are a few pics from today. we'll be putting in another full day tomorrow ...
smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

fixing the headlight supports. needs to be done before we build the oil-cooler shroud because once that is in, you won't be able to access that area anymore.

all cleaned up and in primer:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

the replacement supports, painted with guards red touchup paint:

Click to view attachment

all nice new paint and someone's ugly head:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

antenna hole patch, note the layers of bondo & paint. we counted 6 coats of bondo/primer/paint! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

leaky rear window removed, needs some cleanup before the new window goes in. the PO had used RTV ... headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

cracked windshield removed, the new one will be installed this weekend:

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
we decided to mount the FI brain for the 3.6L in the front of the car, under the pass. side dash.

we cut a hole in the firewall and used the stock 993 engine harness and grommets. the wires will run on top of the center tunnel, but hidded under a custom tray and the console, the brain will be mounted flush under the passanger side dash.

here are a few pics from the test-fitting ...

harness going through the firewall:

Click to view attachment

running on top of the center tunnel:

Click to view attachment

and the brain under the dashboard. the final mounting will be higher and out of the way:

Click to view attachment

and the view from the engine side of things:

Click to view attachment

more pics tomorrow ...

Vielen Dank, Herr McMark!
pray.gif Andy
Hammy
Andy, very cool. I like the brain mount.
Glad to see you and Mark getting near firing her up....
looks great.
DEC
Good job, Andy clap56.gif

I like this kind of work. piratenanner.gif

SirAndy
more pics ... boldblue.gif

the money shot:

Click to view attachment

fixing the rollcage. removed old tabs and welded in new ones:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

rear window channel primed and painted, ready for the new window:

Click to view attachment

windshield channel cleaned, primed and painted. the new windshield is supposed to be delievered on sunday:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif Andy
Justinp71
Andy-
It looks like you have the 911 dash. Can we see some pics of that, where did you get the carbon fiber dash from?

SirAndy
we came up with something special for mounting the oil thermostat. stirthepot.gif

first, we were planning on just running the oil lines through the rear firewall and mount the thermostat upfront.
but no matter how we were looking at it, the routing through the firewall (it's double-walled down low) just did not look clean.
so we thought about adding some sort of hard tubing between the double wall and have permanent fittings on each side.

well, looking at the thermostat, we already had what we wanted, so all we needed was to come up with an idea on how to mount it. idea.gif

McMark made a steel box while i was cutting the tub. the box is just big enough to hold the thermostat.
the box will be welded into the tub and one side has a cover. the thermostat slides inside and the end-cover holds it firmly in place when attached.
the box is at an 45 deg. angle, which allows us to use 45 deg. fittings on each side which will have the lines run parallel to the longs towards the front and parallel to the firewall in the back.
smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif

the holes:
Click to view attachment

the box:
Click to view attachment

the thermostat in the box:
Click to view attachment

test fitting the assembly. the box will be seamwelded into the tub:
Click to view attachment

welder.gif wub.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 5 2007, 12:42 PM) *

It looks like you have the 911 dash. Can we see some pics of that, where did you get the carbon fiber dash from?

yes. it's from Getty Design. do a search here, there was a post quite a while ago with tons of pictures ....
bye1.gif Andy
r_towle
so,
from what I can tell, you have no 914 to drive this year....yet.

and then you will have two 914/6...one will be factory CW and one will be OMG fast.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 5 2007, 02:35 PM) *

and then you will have two 914/6...one will be factory CW and one will be OMG fast.

that is in fact the plan ...
biggrin.gif Andy
grantsfo
Great work Andy! Looks like it is turning out very nice. That car is going to be wicked fast.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2007, 04:56 PM) *

that is in fact the plan ...
biggrin.gif Andy

O brother, where art thou? biggrin.gif

the 914-6 GT cause calleth!

pete

P.S. I now have red 914 envy....that cooling line setup alone is KILLIN me!
drooley.gif
SirAndy
the mufflers arrived! piratenanner.gif

many, many thanks to dan callicott from Callicott Motorsports. pray.gif
i owe you a few nice cold brewskies ... beer.gif

me likes shiny parts ...
wub.gif Andy
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2007, 03:58 PM) *

the mufflers arrived! piratenanner.gif

many, many thanks to dan callicott from Callicott Motorsports. pray.gif
i owe you a few nice cold brewskies ... beer.gif

me likes shiny parts ...
wub.gif Andy

I think you are an AI program who has successfully gone out on the Internet and created this story about a 914 with a motor from another car based upon some pictures you found at many different web site...

I think that a live shot, video and possibly some audio of the engine and your imaginary friend McMark would help to disprove these allegations...

Rich
Eric Taylor
Andy - I love the way that thermostat is going to give you a clean look. I was wondering how the thermostat works though. Is is regulated by the temperature of the oil or the air out side it? I guess the way you did it would make me think oil, but I'm not sure

Eric
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric Taylor @ Apr 9 2007, 02:54 PM) *

Andy - I love the way that thermostat is going to give you a clean look. I was wondering how the thermostat works though. Is is regulated by the temperature of the oil or the air out side it? I guess the way you did it would make me think oil, but I'm not sure

yes, oil it is. it has a bypass valve, so when the oil is cold, it goes back to the tank right away. once it reaches a certain temperature (i *think* 175), it'll open and let the oil flow through the front cooler.

i've seen a lot of different installs, most people put the thermostat in the front trunk, near the cooler.
to me, that didn't make much sense. you're pushing a lot of cold oil around with that setup.
i think the thermostat should be as close to the engine as possible. less cold oil to push around and quicker response time to a warming up motor ...

bye1.gif Andy
GTeener
clap56.gif Looks like you're making good progress. Congrats and thanks for sharing beerchug.gif
Eric Taylor
Thanks for the reply andy- I was thinking about the engine warmth the same way you were, but I also had seen most of them mounted in the front trunk. Good to know, to me it would make sense to mount it closer to the enginge for optimal oil cooling too.
Eric
SirAndy
moah pix ... piratenanner.gif

got the thermostat box all welded in and primed and painted:

Click to view attachment

test fitting of the mufflers:

Click to view attachment

more progress tomorrow ... time for a few brewskies ...
beerchug.gif Andy
rick 918-S
thumb3d.gif popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
got some more stuff done, just for the giggles, here's the current "todo" list ... huh.gif

Engine Swap Related Work *

Electrical *

Add fuel pump wiring. *
Test fit engine wiring harness. *
Mount ECU. *

Oil *

Fabricate oil cooler exit ducting. *
Weld in oil cooler inlet floor. *
Mount oil thermostat. *

Fuel *

Hook up fuel lines. *
Fabricate fuel filter mount. *
Fuel pump mount mods. *

Engine *

Test fit engine tin, and modify as necessary. *
Install breather plugs. *
Install 3.2 intake elbow. *
Install cam covers. *
Install throttle cable. *
Install new valve cover gaskets. *
Change engine oil and replace on engine filter. *
Install Headers/Exhaust/Muffler *
machine 914 flywheel ringear to fit 993 flywheel *
clean *

Transmission *

clean *
fix leaking speedo angle drive *
change oil (swepco) *
add JWest shifter set *
fabricate shiftrod *
notch for flywheel sensor *

Other Work *

Weld cage. Reweld cut joints (sleeves?) *
reweld Cage to targa bar attachment plates. *
Seam-Weld front suspension mounts. *
Alignment *
Check torque on all suspension, brake, etc bolts and nuts. *
Corner Balance *
Install front strut inserts. *
Fabricate tray for fire extinguisher *
Fix broken front trunk release cable *
Add JWest fuse block *
Add H4 100W headlights *
Add JWest Flasher upgrade *
Add Camp Euro Turnsignal kit *
Add Camp Pilot light kit *
Install 5-point harness *
Mount and reseal new rear window *
Install missing grommet for fuelline at the firewall *
Get tank repaired, boiled, cleaned and powedercoated *
Check inner CV joints bolt thread-depth *
Seam sealer for drivers side rear fender to trunk *
weld in hood shock mounts *
weld cracked door brace on drivers side *
weld in door strap support on pass. side *
install 9/11 GT flares *
Install Front Windshield *
Clean mounting flange *
redo gauge wiring *
weld stamped floorpan holes shut *
remove air hoses behind rockers *
weld up holes for air hoses (routed behind the rockers) *
weld in antenna cable hole *
Weld in front suspension support bar. *
Weld in antenna hole cover *
Clean up weld spots on firewall *
Weld in headlight bucket supports *
straighten floorpan *
weld in brackets for the new ECU harness *

Shopping List *

Hose Mount Brackets *
Oil Inlet O-Ring * PN: 999.707.316.40 *
Six Cylinder Tach *
Distributor Belt * PN: 930.602.134.00 *
Distributor Vent * PN: 993.602.121.00 *
Black rubber windshield frame kit - ordered 04.03 *
electrical plug connectors for gauges *
set of front roller bearings *
Get additional rubber grommet for main harness @ engine shelf - EASY? *
felt tank pads *
Buthyl (sp?) kit for mounting the new rear window *
Spark Plug End *
JWest Shifter - ordered 04.02 *
Fuel Filter Fittings - do we need a second filter? *
Throttle Cable End *
Muffler(s) - shipped 04/04 *
Fuel Pump Fittings *
get new windshield - ordered 04.03 *
AN Fittings - ordered 04.18 *
Race Approved Roll Bar Padding *
SirAndy
moah pix!

it's amazing what a bit of touchup paint can do for the looks of things!
front trunk all straight, welded, cleaned, primered and painted with rattle can guards red ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

from the front:

Click to view attachment

oil cooler installed permanently and oil-lines attached:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif beer3.gif Andy
SirAndy
routing the lines inside the cabin to the rear firewall with the thermostat in the box:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

stirthepot.gif Andy
SirAndy
3.6L FI-Brain mounted under the dash and cutout for the door for the 993 fuelpump location:

Click to view attachment

rocking nana.gif Andy
SirAndy
993 brain/engine harness routing. we welded in metal tabs to hold down the harness ...

Click to view attachment

chowtime.gif Andy
SirAndy
and a view from the engine bay side of things. engine bay was primered and painted with rattle can guards red touchup paint.

you can see the 993 harness coming through the firewall as well as the two oil-line outlets (blocked off with red caps) on the thermostat box.

Click to view attachment

piratenanner.gif Andy
mikelsr
What type of oil lines are you using? Are those -16's or -12's fittings?

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 26 2007, 10:43 PM) *

993 brain/engine harness routing. we welded in metal tabs to hold down the harness ...

Click to view attachment

chowtime.gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(mikelsr @ Apr 26 2007, 07:50 PM) *

bye1.gif Andy
mikelsr
And the lines themselves?

Thanks

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 26 2007, 10:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mikelsr @ Apr 26 2007, 07:50 PM) *

bye1.gif Andy

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 26 2007, 08:40 PM) *

routing the lines inside the cabin to the rear firewall with the thermostat in the box:

Click to view attachment

stirthepot.gif Andy

Eggs-cellent oil line routing. Fry the passenger, not the driver!

And much better than the awkward, toasty GT/916 oil-lines-as-dead-pedal setup. clap56.gif

Curious on the blue rubber AN lines, though. Never seen em. Cheaper than braided? Easier to work with? Gee, I supposed factory oil lines are rubber and last a little while... idea.gif

pete
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikelsr @ Apr 26 2007, 07:58 PM) *

And the lines themselves?

OD is 1", not sure about the ID ...

i just happen to dislike the stainless steel braided stuff, so i went with the plain lines instead ...
beerchug.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 26 2007, 08:13 PM) *

Eggs-cellent oil line routing. Fry the passenger, not the driver!

And much better than the awkward, toasty GT/916 oil-lines-as-dead-pedal setup. clap56.gif

Curious on the blue rubber AN lines, though. Never seen em. Cheaper than braided? Easier to work with? Gee, I supposed factory oil lines are rubber and last a little while... idea.gif

yes, blue rubber lines are cheaper and easier to work with. a bit more flexible too. and i happen to hate them braided lines, so ...

as for the routing, i'm planning on making a aluminum cover plate for the cabin to go over the hoses and i'll put some insulation behind the cover as well.
that should do the trick.

plus, i don't plan on being a passanger in my car too often ...
biggrin.gif Andy
SirAndy
for those interested, here's a PDF with info on the oil-hose system used ...

http://www.914world.com/uploads/4281_b1.pdf (800k)

the blue hose is their "836 Hi-Temp, Heat-Resistant Hose"
operating range: up to 250 psi, 300 deg. F
burst pressure: 1000 psi

that should be plenty good ...
piratenanner.gif Andy
McMark
3/4" ID which corresponds to AN-12.
db9146
Glad to hear you're going to run a cover over the lines.....thoughts of hot oil spewing all over the inside of the car with you in it sounds too much like a Fry Daddy for me to be too comfortable w/o one.

Sort of like a Fry Andy instead!!!! chairfall.gif w00t.gif
DrifterJay
I have a 6 tach lying around...if ya need it...
SirAndy
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Apr 27 2007, 11:12 AM) *

I have a 6 tach lying around...if ya need it...

thanks for the offer man. beerchug.gif

but i already ordered a autometer with a shiftlight ...
smile.gif Andy
DrifterJay
Cool beans...I need to do the same...I am putting an 8 in mine..
grantsfo
Looking great! Curious are those lines fire resistant?
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 27 2007, 11:53 AM) *

Curious are those lines fire resistant?

my guess is no more or less than the factory rubber oil-lines.

interestingly enough, none of the typical raceshop outlets mention anything about "fire resistant" with their braided stainless oil-lines either.

both use a similar elastomer as the main component, so i'm not sure a thin layer of stainless mesh on the outside would help much in case of direct contact with flames.
both, the braided lines and the plain lines have the same max. operating temperatur (~300F), i'm guessing both will simply melt the elastomer when exposed to much higher temperatures (flames) ...

also keep in mind that both types have another inner layer of braided mesh sandwiched between the inner rubber and the outer rubber ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.