Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shall I say... 3.6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
McMark
QUOTE(db9146 @ Apr 27 2007, 08:45 AM) *

Glad to hear you're going to run a cover over the lines.....thoughts of hot oil spewing all over the inside of the car with you in it sounds too much like a Fry Daddy for me to be too comfortable w/o one.

Sort of like a Fry Andy instead!!!! chairfall.gif w00t.gif

That reminds me of the cornballer!

IPB Image

RIP Arrested Development. sad.gif
John
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 27 2007, 12:11 PM) *

my guess is no more or less than the factory rubber oil-lines.

interestingly enough, none of the typical raceshop outlets mention anything about "fire resistant" with their braided stainless oil-lines either.

both use a similar elastomer as the main component, so i'm not sure a thin layer of stainless mesh on the outside would help much in case of direct contact with flames.
both, the braided lines and the plain lines have the same max. operating temperatur (~300F), i'm guessing both will simply melt the elastomer when exposed to much higher temperatures (flames) ...

also keep in mind that both types have another inner layer of braided mesh sandwiched between the inner rubber and the outer rubber ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

Maybe it's just me, but I like to use hydraulic hose. In -12 size it is $4.55/foot.

SirAndy
QUOTE(John @ Apr 27 2007, 01:54 PM) *

Maybe it's just me, but I like to use hydraulic hose. In -12 size it is $4.55/foot.

i dunno, i would assume that by the time you see 12000 psi in your cooler circuit, your engine has probably already turned to dust ...

seems like overkill to me.
cool_shades.gif Andy
John
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 27 2007, 02:02 PM) *

seems like overkill to me.
cool_shades.gif Andy

Yup.

So does a 3.6 in a 914... poke.gif

I like to call it "peace of mind".

Your car is looking good. Do you have an ETA?
thesey914
Although the burst value of the hose is very high, what kind of pressure causes the hose to blow off the barbed fitting?
SirAndy
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Apr 27 2007, 02:23 PM) *

Although the burst value of the hose is very high, what kind of pressure causes the hose to blow off the barbed fitting?

the blue hose is rated for up to 250 psi ... meaning, it's still safe to operate at 250 psi.

should be plenty ... if not, you'll read about it here first ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(John @ Apr 27 2007, 02:22 PM) *

Your car is looking good. Do you have an ETA?

yeah, i do. but that SOB keeps changing!
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: i *really* want to drive it down to the AR. so, that's what, 5 more weeks?
SirAndy
while i was in there ... unsure.gif

the wiring for the gauges was always a bit messy (the 911 dash requires rerouting some of the original wiring) so i decided now was the time to do it right.

i got a bunch of electrical connectors and added a connector (9 pin) to each gauge.
then i extended the existing wires and added connectors as well.

now i have a quick disconnect for each gauge and plenty of wire length to take them out of the dash.

i used color coded wires where possible (out of a old harness) and put labels on all the important wires and numbered the connectors.

before:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

gauges wired up:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

cluster with extended wires and connectors:

Click to view attachment

now i can reinstall the dash and put in the new windshield ...
piratenanner.gif Andy
McMark
 I wonder when Andy is going to finish his car? 

biggrin.gif Just trying out my new smilie.
r_towle
its not a real car...its all AI
McMark
Serial Number 64R01165
McMark
Engine tin finished and ready for powdercoating ... piratenanner.gif

I started with a set of patrick motorsports reproduction 914-6 engine tin.
I knew it would have to be modified to fit the 3.6L, but i have to say, for the price i paid, i was very disappointed with the overall quality of the tin.

- First, it arrived all bend and banged up. WTF.gif

- Second, the edges were just left unfinished after cutting the metal, so all pieces had razor sharp edges. icon8.gif
I had to file down all the tin pieces before we even got to work on making it fit ...

- Third, the fitting is poor. On one side, there's a 1/4" gap where the two pieces are supposed to butt against each other! mad.gif

Patrick says that the tin will fit the 3.6L with some minor modifications. I'm not sure what they're smoking, but it must be pretty strong stuff.
We had to do some very creative sheetmetal bending, warping, hammering, welding, drilling and riveting ...
smash.gif

poke.gif Andy (from McMark's shop)

And here's the end result:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
thumb3d.gif
PRS914-6
Andy, it looks good. It's a lot of work to do it right. It took me a weekend to get mine done. You can use the 993 OEM sheetmetal in the back if you have it. A little trimming and a few tack welds. It allows the air flow to go the proper direction and not bleed out the back. Look at the bottom piece of this picture.....
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 24 2007, 08:02 PM) *

Andy, it looks good. It's a lot of work to do it right. It took me a weekend to get mine done. You can use the 993 OEM sheetmetal in the back if you have it. A little trimming and a few tack welds. It allows the air flow to go the proper direction and not bleed out the back. Look at the bottom piece of this picture.....

hey paul, yes, i used the two original side pieces in the back. i just didn't put them in the picture as they're not part of the 914-6 sheetmetal.

i cut both of those pieces to be individual and didn't tack them onto the 914-6 sheetmetal.
that part went smooth. which i can't say about the rest of the tin.

3 days worth of custom fab work in that tin!
blink.gif Andy

PS: i used the stock 993 grommet holes for the plug wires and the sensor wires and just rivited them into the sheetmetal.
i'm also using the patrick throttle cable, which allowed me to use the existing throttle cable hole in the tin. no need to add another 1" hole ...

PPS: how was the initial fitting on your tin? idea.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2007, 09:17 PM) *

PPS: how was the initial fitting on your tin? idea.gif

Andy, I'm assuming you are asking how it fit when the engine went in the car? The answer to that is "no problems" The rubber around the perimeter of the engine bay connected perfectly and the gap beteeen the tin and rear suspension arm areas were equal so I was pretty happy when it was all test fit.

BTW, I used a Rich Johnson mount and it allows some adjustment but it didn't really need any.

Now if you are asking how it fit on the engine when I first bought it, that is a different story. Like you it was 2 days of work.....The side pieces were the only ones that were close.
SirAndy
got some more stuff done today ... smilie_pokal.gif

McMark installed the new koni (yellow) adjustable shocks while i was grinding away in the engine comp. smash.gif

Click to view attachment

we also installed the transmission portion of the JWest Sideshift-Kit,
a separate thread about that can be found here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72363
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif thumb3d.gif

in addition, i (wet) sanded down my carbon-fiber dashboard with 500 grit to clean up some of the ugly spots that have bugged me ever since i got it from getty ...
it's going to the paintshop tomorrow to get cleaned, sprayed with a few coats of clear and polished ...
aktion035.gif

and lastly, i started with the prepp-work for the firewall portion of the JWest Sideshift-Kit. more about that later ...

i'm tired now ...
yellowsleep[1].gif Andy
McMark
It appears Andy had a 100% failure rate on his used old shocks. The fronts LITERALLY fell apart during removal (kinda like the rears). Those puppies were not doing ANYTHING near what they should have been. Andy is gonna be ripping up the AX course at the WCR. driving.gif

We are very close! boldblue.gif
SirAndy
today was fuelpump day ... drunk.gif

the 993 fuelpump does not suck, so it needs to be mounted close to the tank and *underneath*.

first pic is the stock 993 fuel line. all i need is the fitting to the pump, so i cut off the rest and made a nice flared end.

original line:
Click to view attachment

cut off part i'm going to use:
Click to view attachment

then i mounted the pump to the fuel-door and added the hard lines and the wiring:
Click to view attachment

backside:
Click to view attachment

and finally, mounted in the car:
Click to view attachment

and from the inside of the car:
Click to view attachment

stirthepot.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
I like the fuel pump setup, Very Trick.
John
Looks like your car is getting right along. Any update (or narrowing down) on an ETA?

I'll bet you are pretty anxious to drive it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(John @ May 31 2007, 10:47 PM) *

What's up with that fuel hose that clearly states:
NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION?

:BUSTED:

it's the wrong hose ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
SirAndy
tranny cleanup is DONE ... piratenanner.gif

- cleaned off all oil/grime

- new output flange seals
- new shifter console seals
- new speedo angle drive o-ring and seal
- new main shaft seal
- re-greased throwout bearing

- added JWest shifter kit

stirthepot.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
replaced the drive-belt in the twin-plug distributor. those are wear-items and should be replaced on a regular bases.

the ozon created by the spark eats away the rubber of the belt. belt failure can be catastrophic for your engine. (just ask Bill P. icon8.gif )

i also added a additional vent-kit for the second dizzy. cheap insurance ..

smash.gif Andy

McMark taking it apart:

Click to view attachment

done, with old belt as reference:

Click to view attachment

second vent-kit installed:

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
i'm going for stainless fuel-lines in the engine compartment.
the 3.6L has the fuel rail inlet on the drivers side, so i needed to route around the backside.

the fuel filter will be mounted on a custom bracket on the drivers side long ...

sawzall-smiley.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
the 911 dash turned out really nice. the picture doesn't do it much justice ...

i wet-sanded the top to get it really smooth and then brandon from altissimo put a few coats of clear on it.
it turned out schweet and the CF has a really nice 3D texture to it ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
A thing of beauty.
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
and the last for today, McMark powdercoated the engine tin and i put it on the motor ...

it looks VERY nice!
beerchug.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dr. Roger
Wow! drooley.gif clap56.gif
SirAndy
more updates ... drunk.gif

- JWest shifter kit install, separate threads can be found here:
Part 1
Part 2

- freshly redone CF dash installed
- new windshield installed
- brakes bled
- fixed faulty adapter harness between the stock harness and the 3.6L engine
- reinstalled seatbelts and seats.
- worked out additional wiring issues (3.6L related)
- re-torqued all suspension components
- cleaned and sealed gas-tank

w00t2.gif Andy

felt added to the dashframe to clean up the areas where the CF dash had to be cut for the rollcage ...
Click to view attachment

dash installed!
Click to view attachment

gauges installed!
Click to view attachment

tim, the glass guy, installing the windshield:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

beau-ti-ful wub.gif
i went for the black rubber trim. here you can see it taped down until the gooy stuff has dried ...
prevents them edges from peeling off later.
Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
drooley.gif , plain & simple. Pushed out my front wheels on the six as you suggested. Mean looking & handles like.. well, you know biggrin.gif .

popcorn[1].gif
cool_shades.gif
jaminM3
How about an update Andy?
I saw your car in the pictures of the WCR, so we know it's done, or at least running and driveable...
SirAndy
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Jun 19 2007, 04:19 PM) *

How about an update Andy?
I saw your car in the pictures of the WCR, so we know it's done, or at least running and driveable...

update will come later this week. yes, it's running! piratenanner.gif

there's a few things that need to be sorted out. the off idle is rough and it doesn't want to drop the rpm right away when you let off the gas, there's a 1 second delay.
got some minor oil seepage on one line.

i also need to change the oil after the weekend as well as the two filters. flushing the system after the initial shakedown run.

re-torque all the bolts. mount the fuel pump permanently.

you know, little things like that. biggrin.gif

by the end of the weekend, i felt pretty comfortable. the engine has GOBS of power once you hit the cams (which is pretty early).

i let quite a bit of smoke out of my 225 street tires ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
Allan
I like the mounting the fuel pump in the passenger floorboard approach,,,, biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 19 2007, 07:02 PM) *

I like the mounting the fuel pump in the passenger floorboard approach,,,, biggrin.gif

i wanted to make sure i was the first to get gas in his eyes if for some odd reason my homemade loctite seals didn't work out ...
biggrin.gif

luckily, the pump stayed dry with no leaks!
piratenanner.gif Andy
Allan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2007, 07:39 PM) *

luckily, the pump stayed dry with no leaks!
piratenanner.gif Andy

Excellent!!! thumb3d.gif
SirAndy
today is the day. i'm gonna clean her up and drive her HOME !!! boldblue.gif

for the first time in over a year, the car will be out of the shop ...

got my upgraded AAA card with me, just in case ...
biggrin.gif Andy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2007, 02:12 PM) *

today is the day. i'm gonna clean her up and drive her HOME !!! boldblue.gif

for the first time in over a year, the car will be out of the shop ...

got my upgraded AAA card with me, just in case ...
biggrin.gif Andy

Congrats and ENJOY beerchug.gif
SirAndy
oh, the joy of having a running car again ... wub.gif

i know "you can never have enough power" but for now, i'm more than happy with how the car feels & drives.
i got *plenty* of power through all gears, once it hits the cams, it's just ripping until it hits the rev limiter. and still wants to go at that point ...

i've gotta be careful, having over 1000 lbs less to schlepp around than a stock 993, that motor seems like a real handful in a 914.

today, on the way back from napa, i took the 37 onramp (nice radius that gets a bit tighter towards the end), feathered in throttle coming out of the turn and then went down to full throttle (i was already in 4th) and BAM, rear goes a bit sideways, i stay on the throttle and correct with the steering and by the time the car is straight again, i'm already hitting 100 ...

ohmy.gif huh.gif biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif Andy
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2007, 02:09 AM) *

oh, the joy of having a running car again ... wub.gif

i know "you can never have enough power" but for now, i'm more than happy with how the car feels & drives.
i got *plenty* of power through all gears, once it hits the cams, it's just ripping until it hits the rev limiter. and still wants to go at that point ...

i've gotta be careful, having over 1000 lbs less to schlepp around than a stock 993, that motor seems like a real handful in a 914.

today, on the way back from napa, i took the 37 onramp (nice radius that gets a bit tighter towards the end), feathered in throttle coming out of the turn and then went down to full throttle (i was already in 4th) and BAM, rear goes a bit sideways, i stay on the throttle and correct with the steering and by the time the car is straight again, i'm already hitting 100 ...

ohmy.gif huh.gif biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif Andy

happy11.gif ! To quote Darth Siddious: "ABSOLUTE POWER"! smilie_pokal.gif

cool_shades.gif
smokey
WOW andy. The storys u have been talking about have been just as great as the pics. I cant wait 4 my conversion to be done . 3.2 . smilie_pokal.gif I will not have as much as u , but very very close.I know u will still be able to smoke the smokey; Great update on the ride . I can say 4 everyone. keep the road storys comen. Rick
SirAndy
a few more pics, this was at McMark's shop on thursday before the WCR ... talk about last minute ... rolleyes.gif

bleeding the brakes:

Click to view attachment

oil line routing:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

custom flywheel adapter to use the 901 clutch and pressureplate with the 993 flywheel:

Click to view attachment

McMark and Tim installing the custom intake boot (elbow is from a mustang):

Click to view attachment

another closeup:

Click to view attachment

the underside:

Click to view attachment

ass up in the air:

Click to view attachment

smash.gif Andy
SirAndy
and finally, here are a few pics and video from the WCR. the first time out in over a year ...

piratenanner.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

"idleing ..."

High Quality (~2 MB)
WCR 2007 - Ideling.wmv

"Saturday afternoon at the hotel":

High Quality (~20 MB)
WCR 2007 - Part 1 (high).wmv

Low Quality (~3 MB)
WCR 2007 - Part 1 (low).wmv

"Sunday drive along the coast up Hwy 1"

High Quality (~49.3 MB)
WCR 2007 - Part 2 (high).wmv

Low Quality (~11.7 MB)
WCR 2007 - Part 2 (low).wmv

"The sunday drive (race) through the woods and sonoma backroads ..."

High Quality (~105 MB)
WCR 2007 - Part 3 (high).wmv

Low Quality (~14.3 MB)
WCR 2007 - Part 3 (low).wmv
Rand
Congrats Andy. I now pronounce your car to be in the top five of all-time 914 club world history in lust value. smilie_pokal.gif
Couldn't be in better hands.
beerchug.gif
Johny Blackstain
Andy, if I may ask, where did you get/manufacture/conjure up that 916 badge? Thanks.

cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 25 2007, 04:22 PM) *

Andy, if I may ask, where did you get/manufacture/conjure up that 916 badge?

i bought one of them now NLA 9-1-4-6 badges and (GASP) cut it up and made a 9-1-6 out of it.
then i took the PORSCHE part of the badge and stuck it onto the back where the badge normally would go and added the 9-1-6 to the spoiler lip and got me a "targa" badge from a 911 ...

so, now i got a "Porsche 916 Targa" ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2007, 08:30 PM) *

i bought one of them now NLA 9-1-4-6 badges and (GASP) cut it up and made a 9-1-6 out of it.
then i took the PORSCHE part of the badge and stuck it onto the back where the badge normally would go and added the 9-1-6 to the spoiler lip and got me a "targa" badge from a 911 ...

so, now i got a "Porsche 916 Targa" ...
biggrin.gif Andy

I was thinking of doing the same to mine, 916 not the Targa part, especially since it needs to be replated. Did you replate after you cut & did you use solder to join? Oh by the way, I drooley.gif your 900 ccs' over mine.

cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
did my first *real* drive today. drove all the way out to modesto/ceres to drop off some parts at Orange914's place ...

~180 miles roundtrip @ ~6 gallons of gas, that comes out to ~30 mpg ...
piratenanner.gif Andy

PS: while driving, the temps stay right around 180. while sitting intraffic in the central valley heat, it went up to 200 ...
not bad at all.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 29 2007, 07:16 PM) *

~180 miles roundtrip @ ~6 gallons of gas, that comes out to ~30 mpg ...
piratenanner.gif Andy

I thought the hoses were for brake bleeding. Now I get it.......The hoses are returning the fuel back to the tank instead of using it! smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.