Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shall I say... 3.6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
SirAndy
last for today, butt shot after adjusting the ride height ...

5" in the front, from bottom edge of floor pan
5 1/2" in the rear, from bottom edge of floor pan

trekkor took a quick ride around the block with me, the 250lbs springs feel great!
better actually than my old 180lbs. blink.gif

i'm happy! boldblue.gif

givemebeer.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 22 2006, 08:44 PM)
Hey Trek, if Andy gets a car that's fast enough, he may be able to keep up with you biggrin.gif

no way! trek is a monster! burnout.gif
rick 918-S
smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif Cool!
SirAndy
some more babysteps today ...

mark and i scratched our heads long and hard (mine was easier cuz i don't have nearly as much hair as he does) and we came up with a concept for the front mounted oil cooler and the "out the hood" venting of the hot air ...

first, i'd like to mention again that i "hate", yes hate, the idea of dumping any significant amount of additional air under the car. icon8.gif

i don't care if that's how the factory did it. their solution was quick & dirty as they were planning on racing the GTs in '70. they obviously did what got them results quick and without too much work.

additional air under the car *will* create additional lift, especially at higher speeds.

soooooo, i'm opting for a "out the top" solution.

but i also hate those big ass holes in the hood, so i'm going for a more stealth approach.
louvers!

here's a vinyl mockup of where the louvers will be, once painted in body color, they'll be hardly noticeable, but *very* effective! smash.gif

SirAndy
one more ...

SirAndy
we also made a cardboard mockup of the oil-cooler and used a small metal rod to mock up the curvature of the air-channel (see green arrows) ...

it'll be a nice and smooth curvature and should give me a good airflow ...
smash.gif
SirAndy
hopefully, by next weekend, i'll have the cooler and the aluminium panels for the channel/shroud ...

cutting the hood will be fun!
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
Aaron Cox
i have similat bilsein coilover issues. looks like you sorted it out prtty well.

rock! smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
I just remembered I promised to measure that front x-member
It's 81,5 cm

Been thinking about louvres too...
I like this look:
user posted image
Sure would looks nicer than a big-ass-gaping-hole biggrin.gif
SirAndy
here's a link to a HUGE jpg (1:1 scale) of the shroud/channel outline ...

i'm going to clean this up, run it through adobe streamline and make it a vector graphic EPS.
then, i'll have the shroud lasercut out of aluminum sheet metal ...

WARNING, HUGE IMAGE (5689 x 7564 pixel, 300 dpi) ...
http://www.914world.com/pix/mycar/Oil%20Coo...ine%20small.jpg

type.gif Andy
seanery
Have a real hot rod guy do your louvres, they know how to do them right.
SirAndy
QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 28 2006, 10:42 PM)
Have a real hot rod guy do your louvres, they know how to do them right.

i've already decided on a "how to" ...

i'm going with the "3-cut, bend twice" design ...
sawzall-smiley.gif Andy
Andy,

CONGRATS! cool.gif
SirAndy
more "babysteps" ...

got off to a slow start, didn't get to marks until noon-ish. dry.gif

so i decided to just cut out the new front support brackets. mine are shot (dumb PO headbang.gif ) and i got two replacements from John at EASY.
of course he didn't drill out the spotwelds, he just cut the frontend around the pieces i needed,
so i had to drill out all the spotwelds to separate the bracket from the junk ...

here's a before picture (yellow! smile.gif ):
SirAndy
took like 2 hours to get the two sides separated ...

well, with some BS and coffee breaks included ... chatsmiley.gif beer3.gif
SirAndy
mark convinced me those would be much nicer all cleaned up, so we started up the bead-blaster box ...

turned out really nice, except, it takes FOREVER ... rolleyes.gif

SirAndy
and then some primer, so they don't turn into a heap of rust by next weekend.
by the time the blasting was done, it was 6pm. time to call it a day.

i didn't get any of the other parts that i had planned on working with today, so this is going to be a short weekend.

hopefully more progress next week. including welding those babies in place ... welder.gif

SirAndy
time for some beer3.gif

beerchug.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
tell us about your hood louvers.

SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 4 2006, 09:09 PM)
tell us about your hood louvers.

no progress on those today. but it's all planned out ...

patience grasshopper, patience ....
biggrin.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
curious in your method...

cut 3x, fold 2x.....

seems like the cut once and louver punch is easier smile.gif

cant wait to see it...
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 4 2006, 09:13 PM)
cut 3x, fold 2x.....

quick and dirty photoshop mockup ...

3 cuts, one long horizontal, two short ones on the side (about 2" total) ...
then, bend front part upwards and bend rear part downwards ...

that way, each cut (louver) has a lip that will create suckage (neg. pressure) ...

this should help with the airflow ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Trekkor
I almost popped by... driving.gif

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Feb 4 2006, 09:31 PM)
I almost popped by... driving.gif

we did enough slacking, even without you ...

biggrin.gif Andy
jonwatts
I like the louver idea, but your air funnel looks big enough for a radiator on a V8 car. If you tilt the oil cooler forward a bit then you could have the funnel match the hood line much more closely and recoup more front trunk space. Just a thought, maybe it's just how it looks in the picture, I wasn't there, blah blah blah cool.gif

Mark, congrats on getting Andy to clean his parts smilie_pokal.gif

SirAndy
ok, here's a small JPG of the oil-cooler shroud lineart ...

the original is a Adobe Illustrator EPS in 1:1 size that Mark will use on his plotter to cut a template.

this should be fun ...
type.gif Andy

Aaron Cox
have you thought about making the top / exit wider than the intake?

maybe your doing that in another dimension (Z)

wider louvers 3d..... or deeper in ths 2d plane
ppickerell
Andy,
I may be able to cut your shroud for you if you can supply material. Send me the file when you are ready.
McMark
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 7 2006, 04:07 PM)
have you thought about making the top / exit wider than the intake?

CFM flow for the hood louvres looks to be much higher than the CFM flow for the cooler. Simply based on surface area the cooler is 21" x 6" (126 sq. in.). Andy's using 3" openings so two 21" openings will equal the surface area of the cooler, and Andy's using three openings. So it's already bigger. PLUS, (yes there's a bonus) the oil cooler obviously isn't going to flow nearly as well as an opening of equal area. BUT the air will expand as it's heated. All in all, I think these three louvres will give more than adequate air flow.
SirAndy
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Feb 7 2006, 04:16 PM)
I may be able to cut your shroud for you if you can supply material. Send me the file when you are ready.

thank you sir, that would be very cool indeed ...

boldblue.gif Andy
db9146
Has anyone thought about taking the air out via the front wheel wells? Rather than cutting out so much of the wheel wells like is done on most V8 conversions, what about cutting out just enough material out of both sides down low, in line with the cooler, and then build a shroud on the back side of the cooler to "split" the air to either wheel well? This way, you would only lose the bottom 4-5" of the front trunk (and not all of that). You wouldn't be putting any more air under the car, just out the front wheel wells.

Anybody tried this?
SirAndy
QUOTE (db9146 @ Feb 7 2006, 06:50 PM)
You wouldn't be putting any more air under the car, just out the front wheel wells.

you would still create a substantial amount of lift and/or drag, i think ...

btw. i'm not losing all of the front trunk. about 2/3 of the shroud will be attached to the hood and there will be plenty of space (8 sixpacks of beer!) left ...
cool.gif Andy
retrotech
I absolutely agree about dumping air under car, when it isnĀ“t necessary.
I have installed hood louvers on mine. I simply let the air enter into front trunk area, the rear part with tank seals. Since the louvers are in a low pressure area, the air is practically sucked out. I have small deflector at the front edge. I have a 2.8 that is run pretty hard at DE days, always 180-190 drgrees.
Seems like the obvious, best approach to me.
SirAndy
more babysteps but no pictures today ...

got the front swaybar fixed. cut off the old mounting tabs and welded in the new ones.
added the new (shorter) droplinks and verfied that my chassis is bend. headbang.gif

now i will *need* to put it on a celette bench for sure ... rolleyes.gif

i also added the 100mm wheel studs to the front and added 2 3/4" spacers on each side. fills out the wheelwell nicely now, can barely squeeze a finger between the tire and the flare.
boldblue.gif

slow, but progress. plus, after some brainstorming (and pizza! chowtime.gif ) McMark is contemplating to get himself a complete alignment setup in his shop. corner balancing and precision alignment ... can't wait ...
smilie_pokal.gif

tired and thirsty beer3.gif Andy
pete-stevers
Andy what are you doing to the gear box? is it a 901? are you changeing the ratios?
SirAndy
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Feb 18 2006, 10:19 PM)
Andy what are you doing to the gear box? is it a 901? are you changeing the ratios?

well, i've got a "loaner" 901 that seems to have non stock gearing (dunno what's in there) as well as a spare stock 901.

so, for now, i'm going to blow up 901's ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Leo Imperial
Nice progress smilie_pokal.gif
Looks like you are putting all that knowledge to good use..
and Andy I am sure you had some good ideas too laugh.gif

I can't wait to see it done and getting done. popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
here's why my project has been kind of on hold for the last few weeks ...
headbang.gif

pondering a few options ...

http://www.sirandy.com/projects/cars/tub.asp

wacko.gif Andy
jd74914
That sucks Andy dry.gif
Leo Imperial
Andy, I gotta ask. When did you find out that your car had been in an accident? I ask because I would hate for me or anyone else to suffer the same fate. Did you know about any of this when you bought the car?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ Apr 9 2006, 04:07 PM)
Andy, I gotta ask. When did you find out that your car had been in an accident? I ask because I would hate for me or anyone else to suffer the same fate. Did you know about any of this when you bought the car?

no, not when i bought it. but i have known about this for quite some time. i knew the car was hit when i started doing the restauration. the signs were obvious then.

just didn't think it was all that bad until we decided to take the tape-measure to it ...

the front axle is off by almost 1 1/2" left/right ...
ohmy.gif Andy
Trekkor
Does the car track funny?
i was following you while you were driving and nothing looked crazy.

Does it pull side to side or vibrate?

I say finish the conversion. boldblue.gif

KT
Allan
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Apr 9 2006, 04:06 PM)
pondering a few options ...

sawzall-smiley.gif
McMark
That's worse than I thought Andy. sad.gif
Jeroen
man... that definatly sucks!
what ya gonna do about it?
sad.gif
shoguneagle
Congrates, Andy. A very nice,, worthwhile project. It makes me jealous!!! I have one question: can a 996 engine be used in the conversion and do the inner suspension tabs have to be changed, moved, etc.; or, a complete new suspension needed. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

I am finding it hard to locate a good used 3.0 or 3.6 engine for my conversion. I am considering looking at the 3.6 engine series.

Thanks,
Steve Hurt
shoguneagle@yahoo.com
SirAndy
steve, my engine is from a '95 993, dunno about a 996 engine ...

this upcoming weeked will be spent un-bending and de-twisting the car on a celette bench! smash.gif

that'll be a major step towards getting the car ready for the big motor ...
aktion035.gif Andy
SirAndy
now that the car is straight again, it was time to get back to the motor conversion task ...

read more about the un-twisting of the tub on the celette bench here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...50809&st=40

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...&hl=celette

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...&hl=celette

smash.gif Andy
SirAndy
cutting holes for the oil lines for the front mounted cooler ...

yes, that's SAND from the blasting 3 years ago that you see in the pics ...
icon8.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.